Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ultras500

Goalkeepers

I am seeing alot of leagues and clubs have a policy/rule of not signing foreign goalkeepers. What's the logic behind this? Are young goalkeepers that rare?

because most leagues are wanting homegrown talent and the best way to do that is to bring a keeper through the ranks.

Plus, if the league is trying to develop homegrown talent for the national team, clubs require a lot fewer goalkeepers than any other position, and so there will as a consequence be fewer of them being developed and coming through the ranks.

Seems a bit overkill surely? The Chinese leagues have the rule. 4 Chinese leagues, 16 teams each, minimum 3 goalkeepers a team would give you 192 players. No national team needs that many to choose from.

Unless its on your requirementts during the season don't worry about it, I had it on mine and I signed Tenas from some Spanish 3rd division side whilst in the national league and never got any complaints from the board. Still my keeper now 3 seasons later and he's wanted by 30 clubs and im still only in league 1

4 minutes ago, Ultras500 said:

Seems a bit overkill surely? The Chinese leagues have the rule. 4 Chinese leagues, 16 teams each, minimum 3 goalkeepers a team would give you 192 players. No national team needs that many to choose from.

is it?

if every english team had 1 english keeper and 1 in the youth ranks that 256 keepers in the pool to pick from.

China have it easy

8 minutes ago, alextheblueboy said:

Unless its on your requirementts during the season don't worry about it, I had it on mine and I signed Tenas from some Spanish 3rd division side whilst in the national league and never got any complaints from the board. Still my keeper now 3 seasons later and he's wanted by 30 clubs and im still only in league 1

Sorry you have lost me with that comparison. Chinese clubs aren't allowed to sign non-Chinese goalkeepers, it's not a board decision its a rule.

14 minutes ago, Ultras500 said:

Sorry you have lost me with that comparison. Chinese clubs aren't allowed to sign non-Chinese goalkeepers, it's not a board decision its a rule.

Im merely giving the english league as an example. China want to bring through grass roots keepers.

Its like england doing the same with theirs. Only difference is that its down to the owners to delegate that decision instead of it being a ruling and because its not a ruling he shouldn't worry about it, Unless he's manageing a Chinese club. 

He will be managing a Chinese club at some point. My options were India, Japan or lower league China. Went to India, kind of regretting it.

The rule doesn't guarantee you will have keepers coming through the youth system and those that do may not be to the standard required. So all you end up doing is potentially creating a shortage and hiking the price up of current keepers.

There must be an export ban as well then?

On 16/04/2020 at 01:10, Ultras500 said:

You know how this goes, right? If the FA say 'actually, you can have one foreign goalkeeper', every club would still have a foreign goalkeeper as their first choice and the Chinese players still wouldn't get development.