Xbox Series X

Previously SI staff have highlighted that, basically, not many people bought it on Xbox last time around, and the performance on it was fairly bad. I can't see them spending the money on making it work on the Xbox Series X to be honest.

I really don't see why not. It'll be interesting to see how the new consoles adapt to keyboard and mouse. I believe both the Playstation 4 and Xbox One eventually included support for it after years without it and they're were specific console tie ups with accessory manufacturers as well. So it's possible we'll see enhanced keyboard and mouse support built into the UIs of the next gen consoles. If that happens, with the memory and graphics capabilities they have, they'd easily run the game well. Xbox Series X in particular should be relatively easy to develop for too. The commercials are of course an issue, but if it could be included on Gamepass and the Playstation equivalent, there's absolutely no reason why it couldn't be a success.

End of the day, I don't really see a massive upside in SI doing this.

Think of it this way.  They have their main PC version, which sells, let's say, 5mil units.  I'd imagine, given how mature the product is, that there aren't a whole lot of people with any interest in the game that haven't already bought it.  It's likely far more about keeping people buying, rather than encouraging new customers at this stage for them.  So now imagine they decide on a console version.   That's going to cost a not insignificant sum of money to develop, so at a base level they're going to want to sell enough copies to cover that.  Are there people out there who aren't currently buying FM (that can play on surprisingly crap laptops) but would on the console?  Or are enough people going to be buying a copy for both systems?  I have my doubts about that.  Probably more likely that people would stop buying the PC version.  Console would likely be more expensive, but it's hardly a win.

I doubt we'll ever see another console version.  It just wouldn't be worth it.

9 hours ago, busngabb said:

I really don't see why not. It'll be interesting to see how the new consoles adapt to keyboard and mouse. I believe both the Playstation 4 and Xbox One eventually included support for it after years without it and they're were specific console tie ups with accessory manufacturers as well. So it's possible we'll see enhanced keyboard and mouse support built into the UIs of the next gen consoles. If that happens, with the memory and graphics capabilities they have, they'd easily run the game well. Xbox Series X in particular should be relatively easy to develop for too. The commercials are of course an issue, but if it could be included on Gamepass and the Playstation equivalent, there's absolutely no reason why it couldn't be a success.

The main reason against doing it on consoles are mainly the cost of porting and agreement, and potentially using extra staff to "learn" how to port it. If the game is made in one way the portability might be easy, but it could also be a major pain to do so if the system architecture is not prepared for it. And since the PC is the main source of income, will it be cost efficient to do the port? Based on previous attempts SI have said no. But who knows in the future.

The other reason Miles stated that the series failed on XBox 360 is because players like to play FM in very long sessions, while the console is normally hooked up to a family TV which leads to arguments - especially as it's probably not the most entertaining game to have on in the background for the wife or kids!