Struggling to get my Crystal Palace attackers to score

Hi, I need help. My front three, whatever combination it may be, have struggled to finish, and I don't know where I'm going wrong. I have admitted defeat so here I am, asking for help.

22673886_BrentfordvCrystalPalace_Overview.thumb.png.0cefa18f1affc5424758d36bb2528987.png

The only reason I'm still in with a job in January is because somehow my team is really good at scoring from set-pieces, and forces oppositions to shoot from range more. I create a lot of chances, but CCCs are very minimal. I would like to keep the 4-2-3-1 formation, but if there are any improvements you guys can see, I would be welcome to try. Thanks.

To me, at least, your attack looks very one dimensional and very congested with no real movement. You have added the TI 'Pass Into Space' yet the roles and duties you have selected don't really create any space. In addition, Vertical Tiki-Taka is all about ball retention so passing into space kind of contradicts this. You need to select roles where the players themselves move into space and can receive the ball to feet and retain possession. 

Also, try to watch a couple of matches in full so you can see the kind of movement your players are making when in possession. You'll be surprised how much of an eye opener this is and how much you can learn. It's useful to watch in the classic 2d and to pause the match when in possession and when in transition so you can see exactly what your players are doing.

I would've thought that your problems would've been with your defence. I think Palace only have the reputation of a bottom half team, so most teams are going to attack you, and with 2 adventurous full backs without a DM to cover, I'm sure youre going to have some problems. I don't know Palace's squad too well, but if I were you, I'd try to design the whole tactic to get the best out of Zaha.

We know that he is quick and skillfull, so this type of player would suit a counter attacking side where Zaha is the outlet. This counter attacking style would also suit Palace's lower reputation. 

I would make a tactic like this:

GK

fba  CD  BPD  fbs

BWMd

DWs  DLPs  CAR        

IFa

TMa

TIs

More direct passing

Lower line of engagement

Get stuck in

Mentality: Standard

WIth this tactic you'd be a lot more solid defensively, and you should get a lot more CCCS because you'd have lots of space to attack with. There are 2 ways of countering: A long ball to the target man, to hold up play for a on rushing players, and a pass into space for zaha who could run lots of the pitch. If you have the players suitable for these roles, there would be 2 players that could launch these attacks, the BPD and the DLP. Zaha should also be able to win lots of free kicks, which you said that your side was good from.

Obviously, you might not have the right players for these roles, but there are lots of alternatives that give a similar outcome.

For smaller sides, you could also change the dlp to an ap, or move the defensive winger up a level to be  a winger alongside Zaha.

Yeah I would add that the only midfield presence you have which is important in the 4231 is being vacated by making him a Mezzala which will put him out more wide.

I would like my other CM to be someone to shuttle the ball. Way too many TIs in there that contradict what you want to do.

So I decided to copy your tactical settings and played a match in full. You can see here in just the opening 5 minutes of the match the issues you will be having;

657988515_Screenshot2020-04-12at10_18.24copy.thumb.jpg.56cffc9f3aebf4896210e8358c48d585.jpg

The AP (Meyer) currently has the ball. Look at the congestion on the left flank. You have your Mezzala (18), IF (39) and CWB (15) all competing for the same space. Then your CF (20) is marked by two defenders. 

This is what I was talking about regarding lack of movement and being congested.

Edited by TheGoodRebel

1 hour ago, TheGoodRebel said:

So I decided to copy your tactical settings and played a match in full. You can see here in just the opening 5 minutes of the match the issues you will be having;

657988515_Screenshot2020-04-12at10_18.24copy.thumb.jpg.56cffc9f3aebf4896210e8358c48d585.jpg

The AP (Meyer) currently has the ball. Look at the congestion on the left flank. You have your Mezzala (18), IF (39) and CWB (15) all competing for the same space. Then your CF (20) is marked by two defenders. 

This is what I was talking about regarding lack of movement and being congested.

Nice screenshot and says a lot about the issues with the setup. 

On 12/04/2020 at 07:01, adhikapp said:

22673886_BrentfordvCrystalPalace_Overview.thumb.png.0cefa18f1affc5424758d36bb2528987.png

Besides a lack of tactical balance, the tactic overall looks overly ambitious for a team like Palace. Out of possession instructions are way too aggressive. Especially vulnerable is the left flank given the roles on that side. 

There is so much I would change in this tactic that I simply don't know where I would start from.

Em 12/04/2020 em 10:15, Jack722 disse:

I would've thought that your problems would've been with your defence. I think Palace only have the reputation of a bottom half team, so most teams are going to attack you, and with 2 adventurous full backs without a DM to cover, I'm sure youre going to have some problems. I don't know Palace's squad too well, but if I were you, I'd try to design the whole tactic to get the best out of Zaha.

We know that he is quick and skillfull, so this type of player would suit a counter attacking side where Zaha is the outlet. This counter attacking style would also suit Palace's lower reputation. 

I would make a tactic like this:

GK

fba  CD  BPD  fbs

BWMd

DWs  DLPs  CAR        

IFa

TMa

TIs

More direct passing

Lower line of engagement

Get stuck in

Mentality: Standard

WIth this tactic you'd be a lot more solid defensively, and you should get a lot more CCCS because you'd have lots of space to attack with. There are 2 ways of countering: A long ball to the target man, to hold up play for a on rushing players, and a pass into space for zaha who could run lots of the pitch. If you have the players suitable for these roles, there would be 2 players that could launch these attacks, the BPD and the DLP. Zaha should also be able to win lots of free kicks, which you said that your side was good from.

Obviously, you might not have the right players for these roles, but there are lots of alternatives that give a similar outcome.

For smaller sides, you could also change the dlp to an ap, or move the defensive winger up a level to be  a winger alongside Zaha.

I'm not familiar with palace's squad at 100% but that was how I'd set them up aswell.

And it's just like tailor made to make Zaha shine and be the star of that team. It should work well given you are not a high reputation team, otherwise, it would lack space and initiative on the ball to really cause damage.