I know that you can't expect to win every game etc but I feel like in fm now you will go on an unbeaten run of say 8 games but then you will lose your next 5 and the only way to stop the rot is by changing tactic entirely. 

Is it just me? 

Have a look in the Tactics forum and open a thread in there with as much detail about your team, formation roles and instructions and you can get some help there

On 06/04/2020 at 23:33, Ewan0404 said:

I know that you can't expect to win every game etc but I feel like in fm now you will go on an unbeaten run of say 8 games but then you will lose your next 5 and the only way to stop the rot is by changing tactic entirely. 

Is it just me? 

Not only you. Always the same. Everything is good and after half of the season they are forgetting how to play and only lose match by match. Even if there is no reason. Footballers like me, teamwork is ok but suddenly they are completely different team.

On 06/04/2020 at 22:33, Ewan0404 said:

Is it just me? 

For me that's more about the mentality of your players. You need to warn them not to get complacent when you win a few and be more demanding with your pre game team talks when you're on a good run.

This is a regular occurrence with me also. I have to believe that the fault lies in something I am doing though as opposed to some people who claim there is a script or that the AI "learns" your behaviour (that is sci fi, for now it can learn a trend but you can change that up any time). 

Cracking off season, winning left right and Chelsea v higher rated opponents (I like a competitive off season), tactics working a charm, then bang... Newly promoted Portsmouth who have spent half a million over summer come in and thrash me three nil at home haha. It does seem repetitive season after season. I can't make sense of it, I keep morale up, warn against complacency etc. This season for example I know for some weird reason my tactics (which banged in most goals in the PL last year) are not working for my strikers for some reason because I just had 52 shots, 30 on target, and one goal... To their zero shots all match haha. I need to solve this problem... That is all it is. A problem solver. Puzzle. 

4 hours ago, busngabb said:

For me that's more about the mentality of your players. You need to warn them not to get complacent when you win a few and be more demanding with your pre game team talks when you're on a good run.

I always make sure to give them the "complacency" talk but it doesn't really seem to work. It's hard not to think that the game is trying to artificially ramp up the difficulty to keep you on your toes.

Exact opposite to me. Most of the times the team that I'm managing start slowly or dip into poor form mid season but always close out the season strongly winning game after game. Maybe player fitness is an issue here?I rotate my squad quite a lot

Try delegate one or two matches to ur assistant and see if he can do better than u. If he is doing considerably better than u, then it is most probably a tactical issue 

one thing i have learned after 1200 so hours on fm20, and only just learned this recently is that if your first team is pretty fixed and not on rotation, as well as with high training intensity it can cause 1, their progress/development to be delayed, 2,they start to get match fatigue/jaded, 3, they accumulate injuries and this can also affect the mood of the players. this all starts to occur within the second half of the season roughlyi f you're pushing your players too much and relying on them too often, everyone is often quick to blame tactics etc but there are a lot of other elements at play in the game i'm only just starting to wrap my head around.

My latest issue is your goalkeeper can go from a good amount of clean sheets in a row at the start of the season to now in January any shot from 30 yards towards him and it goes right by him. 

41 minutes ago, Ewan0404 said:

My latest issue is your goalkeeper can go from a good amount of clean sheets in a row at the start of the season to now in January any shot from 30 yards towards him and it goes right by him. 

Try changing your tactics defensively - why are players getting enough space to shoot, for starts. Although I imagine (no, in fact I'd stake my right nut on it) that "any shot" is sliiiiightly exaggerated 

2 hours ago, Ewan0404 said:

Then maybe post the goalkeeping stats like save percentage, shots saved per 90, goals conceded per 90 to see if there is any statistical difference? Although FM is far behind in footballing stats their goalkeeping stats are quite good and u can determine the performance of the gk if u know what to look for. I can help if u want to see if ur gk is performing as expected

• 3 weeks later...

I've just finished my fourth season in Southern League Premier Division.

I played 4-4-2 all season and lost just four games.

I don't buy the inconsistent results idea.

• 3 months later...
On 06/04/2020 at 17:33, Ewan0404 said:

Is it just me? 

It's frustrating. The good runs feel as jarring as the bad runs. I can go ten matches without conceding a goal and then with the same tactic lose four matches in a row in hopeless fashion. It's obviously a form/morale issue that snowballs out of control (positively or negatively). It's never felt realistic to me.

Yes, a good manager gets his club through the highs and lows, but let's not pretend that the game throws you the same odds of winning after three consecutive wins as it does after three consecutive losses. You know that every woodwork bounce, penalty call, and offside decision will go against you after some losses.