4231 - Poor ratings for AMC

Having taken Bath from non league to the prem I'm now in 2029/30, my 3rd in the top flight. Played a number of different ways on the journey, starting with target man hoof ball to moving on to a 41221 that the game classed as vertical tiki-taka. The first season in the prem was a grind but came 15th, season 2 much better coming 7th where I deployed this tactic for the last couple of months to massive success. Finally got a squad befitting of the level now and signed this guy below in the summer for £28m :eek:. He's on paper my best player, although another 2 or 3 aren't far off.

UnaiRodriguez.thumb.png.09112eb2298e9d32a22c465cab7b6cea.png

On the pitch he's massively struggling, no goals and no assists. The team are doing ok, in that we are 5th after 7 games but there's been a few fortunate wins in that. We haven't played as well as we did the season before when using this tactic.

Now I'd put it down to him struggling to settle but even when we were flying last season whoever played in the AMC slot seemed to struggle. So can anyone see anything wrong with my set up on the whole and secondly see a way off improving this guys performances.

The only player instructions are on the IF, AM and W - Close down more and tackle harder.

4231Bath.thumb.png.daa5d40a397ae5dfca5a86fb2d848337.png

1 minute ago, Nes1995 said:

if the tactic is working its ok

:thup:

Absolutely, that's the most important thing. If the tactic as a whole works well, making changes only to suit a single player/position is never advisable IMHO. Because it can ultimately ruin the tactic that has otherwise been successful. So think twice before you start experimenting ;)

11 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

:thup:

Absolutely, that's the most important thing. If the tactic as a whole works well, making changes only to suit a single player/position is never advisable IMHO. Because it can ultimately ruin the tactic that has otherwise been successful. So think twice before you start experimenting ;)

Maybe, but its a tad annoying when your main man is constantly getting slated in the press and by the fans :lol:

Any thoughts on the set up as a whole?

5 minutes ago, Lam3r said:

Maybe, but its a tad annoying when your main man is constantly getting slated in the press and by the fans :lol:

Well he's not the main man in that tactic.

There's lot of other roles around will take more risks than him (DLP-Su, W-At, WB-At, IF-Su). A DLP-Su who players will prefer to pass to if both are available and quite wing heavy with W-At, WB-At and WB-Su.  Plus his traits will make him get into the box more that the role+duty would indicate which isn't his strength.

Edited by summatsupeer

In that tactic what the AMC is doing is helping buildup and occupying defenders, so that the wingbacks, winger and inside forward find opportunities to exploit space. If you want him to get more involved in buildup I suggest AP(s), and if you want him to be much more aggressive and even score a goal here and there maybe try AP(a).

However, given how this ME works, the AMC usually struggles to make a difference in 'normal' tactics. That is because defenses are very compact and narrow most of the time, offensive players very rarely attempt short forward passes, and off-the-ball movement from strikers is incredibly stale. That means the AMC doesn't get the ball often in a dangerous position, and if he gets it, he rarely attempts through balls or a dribble into the penalty box. 

2 hours ago, kidd_05_u2 said:

In that tactic what the AMC is doing is helping buildup and occupying defenders, so that the wingbacks, winger and inside forward find opportunities to exploit space. If you want him to get more involved in buildup I suggest AP(s), and if you want him to be much more aggressive and even score a goal here and there maybe try AP(a).

However, given how this ME works, the AMC usually struggles to make a difference in 'normal' tactics. That is because defenses are very compact and narrow most of the time, offensive players very rarely attempt short forward passes, and off-the-ball movement from strikers is incredibly stale. That means the AMC doesn't get the ball often in a dangerous position, and if he gets it, he rarely attempts through balls or a dribble into the penalty box. 

Has the AMC issue within the current ME been recognised as an issue officially or more what some ppl are finding based on certain tactics etc?

5 hours ago, Lam3r said:

I don't see anything particularly problematic in your setup of roles and duties for a system such as 4231. It's only about nuances. For example, I would swap the CMs, so that the CMde would be in MCR and DLPsu in MCL, mostly because I love the interplay between a DLP, attacking fullback and IF/IW. But it does not mean that your setup is wrong by any means (just nuances, as I said). And I would also change the WB on attack into FB on attack, simply because I don't want to have an overly attack-minded fullback in an inherently vulnerable top-heavy system like 4231. 

There is also nothing wrong in your instructions as such. The only one that confuses me a bit is the "Play for set pieces", but I guess you have a good reason for using it as a regular part of your tactic.

Whether this particular tactic - or even 4231 as a formation - is a good choice for your team is a different question, but - again - the tactic as a whole looks quite decent :thup:

21 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

I don't see anything particularly problematic in your setup of roles and duties for a system such as 4231. It's only about nuances. For example, I would swap the CMs, so that the CMde would be in MCR and DLPsu in MCL, mostly because I love the interplay between a DLP, attacking fullback and IF/IW. But it does not mean that your setup is wrong by any means (just nuances, as I said). And I would also change the WB on attack into FB on attack, simply because I don't want to have an overly attack-minded fullback in an inherently vulnerable top-heavy system like 4231. 

There is also nothing wrong in your instructions as such. The only one that confuses me a bit is the "Play for set pieces", but I guess you have a good reason for using it as a regular part of your tactic.

Whether this particular tactic - or even 4231 as a formation - is a good choice for your team is a different question, but - again - the tactic as a whole looks quite decent :thup:

Cheers.

Both the first DLP and his young up and coming back up have 16+ for corners and freekicks, and one of the centre backs is 6'6", so it seems sensible to me.

• 1 year later...
On 02/04/2020 at 12:34, Fieldsy said:

Has the AMC issue within the current ME been recognised as an issue officially or more what some ppl are finding based on certain tactics etc?

I’ve been playing this game since 2006 and I have never been able to get the AMC player to get good ratings and play well :lol:

I abandoned the role a few years back. Brought it back recently because got bored of 442 and I see nothing has changed.