Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheJock83

EPL Squad Registration - Haaland Nationality?

So, post Brexit squad registration rules are a pain in the butt-ox.  I'm in my 4th season, currently overachieving at Everton & have my eye on the Chelsea job at the end if the season (their manager is 72 and his contract is up, he HAS to go surely?!?) and perusing their squad, they've got Erling - now:

Born in Leeds, England.  Doesn't have English nationality. 

Can this be right?

Yep, you have to have a British parent to have a UK passport. They keep changing the definition and requirements so i think he may need a British mother to have a UK passport.

Nope, he was only born there when his father played in England. Moved back to Norway soon after, so doesn't have English nationality. He might be eligible for it though, if we wanted. But up until Jan 1st 2020 Norwegian were unable to have dual citizenship, and that meant that if you took another citizenship you'd lose your Norwegian one.

To meet the British Citizenship requirements, you usually need to have been born to a mother or father with British Citizenship or settled status.

For this route, you must have:

• been born to a British mother, before January 1st, 1983;
  • have been born to a British father;
  • a connection with Gibralter (e.g if you are a British overseas territories citizen);
  • a connection with Hong Kong (you have been ordinarily resident since February 3rd, 1997); or
  • a British grandparent (in certain circumstances).

If you were born in the UK, and one or more of your parents has British Citizenship or Settled Status, you are automatically a British citizen.

This means that you do not have to register as a British citizen.

None of those apply to Haaland, and so he would not be eligible for British nationality.