[FM20] Santástico - The hunt for the Next Neymar

Mikaelinho

27 minutes ago, Ausie said:

Wow Vinicius still only 17. What’s his potential ability star rating? Do you give that much notice or decide for yourself?

Vinicius Rodrigo's PPA is 5 stars, but I don't care that much about star rating here. I'm more interested in actual development and personality. However PCA compared to PPA is usually at least a decent predictor of how much development a player has left in him.

Training results compared to the mean

1900064614_Trningmean.png.626b79c7a855cc20ecc54a5298955bb8.png

When looking at this season's mean total improvement per age it becomes clear that this is a good year. Every age except for the players who turned 20 performed better than the mean.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personality vs development

With 23 new development reports added to the spreadsheet we get more data for our investigation into the effect of personality on development.

Personlighet.png.d2aa88f58020f27c52075023d1c16a9c.png

Model Citizen is the personality type that shows the biggest positive difference compared to an age weighted mean, with unambitious showing the most negative difference. Resolute is the "best" personality when you only look at the ones with 10 or more reports.

On 03/06/2020 at 11:30, Mikaelinho said:

Personality vs development

With 23 new development reports added to the spreadsheet we get more data for our investigation into the effect of personality on development.

Personlighet.png.d2aa88f58020f27c52075023d1c16a9c.png

Model Citizen is the personality type that shows the biggest positive difference compared to an age weighted mean, with unambitious showing the most negative difference. Resolute is the "best" personality when you only look at the ones with 10 or more reports.

This investigation backs a little bit my early calculation , but i'm also doing investigation : Postive Pers. - Average Pers- Negative Pers.

Edited by OlivierL

On 13/06/2020 at 22:28, _Ben_ said:

This link didn't work but I followed the one from your Twitter handle.

I think this board is missing more screenhots of Willian 2.0!

Here's a working link: https://mikaelinhofm.com/2020/06/09/santastico-ep-15-2027-in-with-the-new-and-in-with-the-old/

I'll update you on the progress of Willian 2.0 when I get home tonight (SPOILER ALERT: He's a proper beast!)

9 hours ago, Mikaelinho said:

Here's a working link: https://mikaelinhofm.com/2020/06/09/santastico-ep-15-2027-in-with-the-new-and-in-with-the-old/

I'll update you on the progress of Willian 2.0 when I get home tonight (SPOILER ALERT: He's a proper beast!)

Your regens look brilliant.. what a talent factory :o The faces u show, are the faces from Laura ? I have 50 of them, u seem to have more ? 

14 hours ago, OlivierL said:

Your regens look brilliant.. what a talent factory :o The faces u show, are the faces from Laura ? I have 50 of them, u seem to have more ? 

Yeah, it's been a great journey so far. However, I've learned the hard way the difference between a really good and an outstanding young player. Really good just doesn't cut it anymore once you reach a certain level. Regarding the faces they are certainly Laura's creations! I've been a Patreon since the first pack came out and I have 1000+ faces by now.

9 hours ago, Mikaelinho said:

Yeah, it's been a great journey so far. However, I've learned the hard way the difference between a really good and an outstanding young player. Really good just doesn't cut it anymore once you reach a certain level. Regarding the faces they are certainly Laura's creations! I've been a Patreon since the first pack came out and I have 1000+ faces by now.

thanks . ivm going to become  patreon as well. love those faces

• 2 weeks later...

A new episode is here!

I know that I've been rather inactive here lately, but I've had a lot on my plate. Yesterday I published another post on my page though, and it's a big one! We celebrate 10 years with Santos FC with a bit of a stroll down memory lane. One for the regular reader to reminisce and a perfect starting point for the new reader!

It's in the form of a "Where are they now" meets Awards Show sort of episode, where I extensively use lists and statistics, doesn't that sound like good fun? It doesn't? Well, I promise you that it will be! Here's a short sample of one of the categories:

Biggest sales

Over a ten year period it's only natural for a lot of players to have left the club. Some have left for Europe as part of the challenge, while others were let go because they simply weren't good enough. More than a few managed to secure the finances for an entire season through their sales. Let's look at the biggest sales!

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is biggest-sales.png

A bit surprising is that there hasn't actually been that many massive transfers out. The £17.25M sale of Kauhan is our 10th biggest and the £25M price tag of Talles Magno is actually our 4th biggest sale so far! For the three biggest sales prices got a bit higher though!

Second place (tied) - Fábio José to Beijing Gouan for £40M

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is ut-fabio-jose.png

Fábio José was signed from low league club Grêmio Esportivo Brazil (no, not THAT Grêmio!) in 2020 for £275K. He increased his Ginga Rating by an impressive ten points in his first season, and a lot of fans started to whisper of a new potential superstar. Two and a half disappointing seasons later, both in training (Ginga rating increase from 77 to 81) and on the pitch (20 goals in 110 games) no-one was whispering about Fábio José anymore. Except for Beijing Gouan. And they weren't actually whispering, they were screaming "We want him!". When they offered £40M for him in 2023 we took the money and ran!

After 15 goals in only 49 starts over the last six seasons in China, I think it's obvious who were the winners in this deal!?

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is fabio-jose-20.png

Second place (tied) - Douglas Jardel to Jiangsu Suning for £40M

Douglas Jardel was signed in 2021 for £475K from Juventude and developed slowly but steadily during his six seasons with the club. His Ginga Rating increased from 71 to 82, but he never managed to become a regular player for Santos. He had 20+ goal loan spells at Sporting in Portugal and Cagliari in Italy, so there wasn't any doubt that he knew where the goal was, but he just wasn't good enough for us. He left for China in 2027 for £40M and has managed two 10+ goal seasons for his new club so far.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is douglas-jardel-23.png

First place – Renyer to Real Madrid for £80M

Our biggest transfer by far. In late 2023 European clubs started to show a bit of interest in the 20-year-old Renyer. The occasional scout visiting games once in a while suddenly turned into several scouts from all the big European clubs each game. When the January transfer window opened in 2024, clubs started firing like in the good old wild west, trying to outbid each other. In April, after a frantic bidding war, Real Madrid came out victorius. An unprecedented £80M transfer fee for a player from a Brazilian club was impossible to resist. The only downside to this was that we didn’t get Renyer to 100 goals, which means that we need to bring him back towards the end of his career!

renyer-till-real.png?w=1024

Read the entire episode here: Ep 16: 10 years with Santos FC - A stroll down memory lane

Edited by Mikaelinho

• 4 weeks later...

@Mikaelinho Absolutely loving this. I rarely browse the career updates threads because there is so much chaff, but then one like this comes along that is pure FM gold, and I thank you for it. 

First, can you do a small breakdown of overall training regimen for these massive young player yearly gains? Are they in the first team, playing first team? Available for youth teams? I know Brazil is tough with number of games but what not match prep type training seems most important?

Second, I don't recall seeing a post on the general tactic you settled on, and has that remained fairly constant?

Third, I've always been intrigued by using excel. Do you manually input data or is there some way to export/import?

Cheers!

28 minutes ago, 04texag said:

@Mikaelinho Absolutely loving this. I rarely browse the career updates threads because there is so much chaff, but then one like this comes along that is pure FM gold, and I thank you for it. 

First, can you do a small breakdown of overall training regimen for these massive young player yearly gains? Are they in the first team, playing first team? Available for youth teams? I know Brazil is tough with number of games but what not match prep type training seems most important?

Second, I don't recall seeing a post on the general tactic you settled on, and has that remained fairly constant?

Third, I've always been intrigued by using excel. Do you manually input data or is there some way to export/import?

Cheers!

@Mikaelinho I see that a lot of my questions are buried in the blog posts, so I'm going to keep reading through those. Good stuff!

• 4 weeks later...

New episode: Ep 17: 3 season summary 2029-31

Back from vacation and it was time for another post!

The 10 year anniversary post taught me two things. It seems to be awfully tough to create a player of the same caliber as Pelé or even Neymar on FM20. Therefore I need to speed things up.

To give myself a chance to complete this challenge I’m playing a lot faster and I’ve decided to only release a new blog post every three seasons. It’s not fun for neither you nor me to write/read basically the same story every season. We win most of the trophies. The youth intake is underwhelming. We sign a couple of youngsters. We’re not really close to getting a player to 90 Ginga Rating. Repeat. No, that’s not the way I wanna go about this. These episodes will be fairly short, but of course I’ll look more in-depth if anything extraordinary or really interesting happens. So, I've written a 3 season review post:

2029 - A historical quintuple

This year gave us the worst youth intake we've ever had. The single player we kept, a guy nicknamed "Karate" isn't even good enough to show you here.

Intake

The team won everything worth winning in a historical quintuple!

Review

One of the biggest reasons for this historical feat was Kaká, a player we had signed just a year earlier from Corinthians. He developed into the world's best player at the club, which of course didn't go unnoticed.

Kaka till Man C

The unfortunate combination of a £43M release clause and him not wanting to sign a new contract saw him leave for Man City. He wasn't a part of the challenge to create the next Pelé since I signed him at a later age than 18, but I was still really sad to see him go.

You can read about 2030 and 2031 here.