Diego Maradona still manager at 89 years of age

image.thumb.png.9e67385a9264594ab6377871eb544fa8.png

Just stumbled across this in my save by accident and was shocked to see the old legend not only not having kicked the bucket yet (I assume the game doesn't acknowledge people dying) but actually still going strong as an active manager. Most staff people tend to retire at 60+, some 70+ but a manager at 89?! I've not heard of that before. I'm in the year 2049 on my Everton save and this has raised a smile for me. Some mad attributes as well!

24 minutes ago, OspreyJ said:

Can we see his managerial history?

Sure, here it is. Seems he's been with his current club for 30 years lol. I honestly don't know how this can happen, I always just figured there was some definite upper limit where everyone in the game HAS to retire, and that that limit would come way before age 89. Let's see when (if?) he retires.

image.thumb.png.1cc0e24ab181d461251a200bc445de5d.png

24 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

If Maradona is managing at 100 I'll declare you have the greatest save ever. 

Well now I have to go on for at least 11 more seasons then, or for as long as he's active. I'm not complaining.

1 hour ago, Travis Bickle said:

Can you check his manager profile and see if he has any intention of retiring? Even this is epic tbh. How have Gimnasia done? 

He's got no short-term plans, and his long-term plans are that he's "got a preference to be manager for Boca", that's it. I don't have the Argentine leagues loaded (only have English league system loaded as I felt having a handful more was starting to heat up my laptop a bit), but from this screenshot we can see that he's won the second division once but not the top division (yet!).

image.thumb.png.c0b5aaf633492f1375ba96c421402eea.png

2 hours ago, Norfair said:

He's got no short-term plans, and his long-term plans are that he's "got a preference to be manager for Boca", that's it. I don't have the Argentine leagues loaded (only have English league system loaded as I felt having a handful more was starting to heat up my laptop a bit), but from this screenshot we can see that he's won the second division once but not the top division (yet!).

Cheers for that. Maradona is my idol lol. Glad to see him do well. I wonder if you had Argentina loaded if things would be different. It tends to be a little static in leagues not loaded. 

28 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

Cheers for that. Maradona is my idol lol. Glad to see him do well. I wonder if you had Argentina loaded if things would be different. It tends to be a little static in leagues not loaded. 

Well, other people have reported that staff is hard to find in later years of their saves. I've had problems finding suitable staff as well. Maybe this is the game's broken way of going forward when there's not enough manpower to take over, I really don't know what to make of it.

But ol' Diego is certainly one of my childhood idols as well. For some reason the game that stands out for me is the first knockout round in the '90 World Cup, vs Brazil, where Brazil were pretty big favorites to win. But they just couldn't break the deadlock, and late in the game Maradona got a few defenders following him, managed to serve Caniggia who rounded Taffarel and coolly slotted home 1-0. Brazil had a big chance a few minutes after but missed completely and Argentina won it. It wasn't their best tournament but they somehow managed to scrape through all the way to the final where they finally ran out of juice.

Anyways, I'll report what happens to him in my save, would be amazing to see him hit 100.

16 hours ago, Norfair said:

One trophy (two if you count the U20's) in a fifty year managerial career is not great...still if it keeps him out of mischief I guess!

On 28/03/2020 at 23:15, Norfair said:

image.thumb.png.9e67385a9264594ab6377871eb544fa8.png

Just stumbled across this in my save by accident and was shocked to see the old legend not only not having kicked the bucket yet (I assume the game doesn't acknowledge people dying) but actually still going strong as an active manager. Most staff people tend to retire at 60+, some 70+ but a manager at 89?! I've not heard of that before. I'm in the year 2049 on my Everton save and this has raised a smile for me. Some mad attributes as well!

Determination 20? Really?! Unless someone offers to sack off training to go to a strip club you mean :lol:

Also man management 20? Ask Leo Messi et al if they think Diego is a flawless man manager, I suspect not

Out of interest, do you have his starting stats? Curious to see if they evolved over time.

Edited by IbrahimAliMaher
Further musings

23 hours ago, IbrahimAliMaher said:

Determination 20? Really?! Unless someone offers to sack off training to go to a strip club you mean :lol:

Level of discipline is 1. After hard training theres a party at the strip club :D

56 minutes ago, Pasonen said:

Level of discipline is 1. After hard training theres a party at the strip club :D

Fair point. I guess to be the best player in the world and almost single-handedly drag your country to winning the World Cup, plus an unfashionable team from southern Italy to the Scudetto you have to be pretty determined. Messi and Ronaldo have shifted the GOAT template a bit since then I suppose.

On 30/03/2020 at 10:00, IbrahimAliMaher said:

One trophy (two if you count the U20's) in a fifty year managerial career is not great...still if it keeps him out of mischief I guess!

Also man management 20? Ask Leo Messi et al if they think Diego is a flawless man manager, I suspect not

Out of interest, do you have his starting stats? Curious to see if they evolved over time.

Think you are buying into the media image of "Maradona" rather than Diego Maradona the player. 

Diego Maradona was a very determined player at his peak. Watch the 1986 world cup or his years at Napoli. He was absolutely relentless with his energy and fight on the pitch, at a time when other players were actively trying to break his legs without any protection.

If anything I think his motivation is way too low, because by all accounts he is very good at motivating his players, just not maintaining discipline and consistency. 

On 31/03/2020 at 11:38, Travis Bickle said:

Think you are buying into the media image of "Maradona" rather than Diego Maradona the player. 

Diego Maradona was a very determined player at his peak. Watch the 1986 world cup or his years at Napoli. He was absolutely relentless with his energy and fight on the pitch, at a time when other players were actively trying to break his legs without any protection.

If anything I think his motivation is way too low, because by all accounts he is very good at motivating his players, just not maintaining discipline and consistency. 

Don't think you managed to read into my follow on post above. In any case what would you suggest we base our view of Maradona on? I certainly wasn't hanging around Napoli or Argentina's training ground in the eighties!

The 'Diego Maradona' documentary from 2019 which Diego contributed to was on UK TV recently. It shows how he dragged himself and his family out of the Buenos Aires slums, so clearly he must've been/is a very determined individual. It didn't really focus so much on his career post-retirement though, so hard to say how his non-playing attributes should truly be reflected.

I think in any case, where any simulation such as FM fails to capture the true essence of what makes football great is in trying to model one-off geniuses like Maradona. You can't capture that intangible spark that makes true genius in just numbers and code. For everything else though by and large it does a pretty good job ;)

• 2 months later...

Time for an update, we're in the year 2056 and Maradona has just turned 96. Still managing Gimnasia and not looking to retire.

image.thumb.png.64391eb74fae7f1c183d4a22d0cf9712.png

If he's made it this far I'm sure he can go on to well over 100 or possibly never retire, something's buggy as hell here lol. I'll report again in 2060 when he's 100!

1 hour ago, north_london_fan said:

In 2095 on my save, Ole is still Man U interim manager with his age stuck at 100!

20200607070307_1.jpg

20200607070340_1.jpg

Best part of that is that he is still "interim" 😂