Sports Interactive Community
AbdelBarrada

Bad passing and tactical analysis [West Ham]

Managing West Ham, quite good so far. (7th @ Premier League)

table.thumb.JPG.d1bbfb3994a0313bc28f29d855e6c57b.JPG

But last 2 matches my right back/center back (Ogbonna and Zabaleta) can not pass and cause huge problems for me:

Again bad pass from my RB (Zabaleta)

What do you think about it? Because of Fairly Narrow Formation or my player's bad techinal skills? How can I fix it

if Any other suggestion about my tactic will be welcomed

tac1.thumb.JPG.aac69cbfec16adf699471dfa1d59ca20.JPG

No PI's. Only my RB (Pablo Zabaleta) Sit Narrower

[Update] Player Stats

Sebastian Haller 12 Apps / 9 Goals

p1.thumb.JPG.2db41e58b4544bc9c5532f17927af1d0.JPG

Assists

Leauge Leader Creswell

p2.thumb.JPG.2034e90194992283624397a22658230b.JPG

Chance Creation Cresswell & Felipe Anderson

p3.thumb.JPG.b145ab3805a6336fcb43b7f2e9d4a2e3.JPG

Edited by AbdelBarrada

3 hours ago, AbdelBarrada said:

But last 2 matches my right back/center back (Ogbonna and Zabaleta) can not pass and cause huge problems for me

From what I saw in both videos you posted, it seems that high defensive line is the problem in this particular case. Your defenders are probably not good enough to play on a higher D-line, especially against opposition that press aggressively. In both cases, they lost the ball when they were closed down by an opposition player. And you can easily notice how high up the pitch they were at the moment they gave possession away under pressure.

So you can drop the DL to standard, but in that case you'll probably need to drop the LOE to standard as well in order to retain compactness. Alternatively, if you don't want to drop the lines, you can drop the mentality instead (to Balanced), because the mentality automatically adjusts all instructions including DL and LOE. Whether that will be enough is hard to know in advance. You'll have to try and see.

Neither player has any passing options available to him that truck with your TIs. In the first clip Ogbonna has nobody to pass to in the direction he is facing (towards his left). Everyone is marked. So he stupidly holds onto the ball, which is probably because he is not good at improvising. 

In the second clip everyone is just marked and it is excellent play from the opposition players. What does you there is that you defensive line is so high that nobody can hope to get back to stop what was either a goal or a very very good chance. 

The two are quite different too. The first example comes from a clearance and your players not getting back to positions. You need to make sure there is a passing outlet on both sides of the pitch if this happens. Or that your DLP is good enough to make himself available. The second example you just are too high up the pitch and the opposition forced a mistake. 

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

From what I saw in both videos you posted, it seems that high defensive line is the problem in this particular case. Your defenders are probably not good enough to play on a higher D-line, especially against opposition that press aggressively. In both cases, they lost the ball when they were closed down by an opposition player. And you can easily notice how high up the pitch they were at the moment they gave possession away under pressure.

So you can drop the DL to standard, but in that case you'll probably need to drop the LOE to standard as well in order to retain compactness. Alternatively, if you don't want to drop the lines, you can drop the mentality instead (to Balanced), because the mentality automatically adjusts all instructions including DL and LOE. Whether that will be enough is hard to know in advance. You'll have to try and see.

Much appreciated @Experienced Defender :thup:

I made my defensive line "High" because at standart I invite too much pressure and gave positions. Is it logical to use offside trap with standart defensive line?

14 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Neither player has any passing options available to him that truck with your TIs. In the first clip Ogbonna has nobody to pass to in the direction he is facing (towards his left). Everyone is marked. So he stupidly holds onto the ball, which is probably because he is not good at improvising. 

Thank you @sporadicsmiles Lack of passing options is another reason 

My two cm off the ball ratings: Declan Rice 10 and Markle  Noble is 12, quite low for premier league. I suppose i have to work on player roles too.

1 hour ago, AbdelBarrada said:

I made my defensive line "High" because at standart I invite too much pressure and gave positions

This can be caused by some other elements of a tactic, not necessarily defensive line or LOE. In fact, inviting "too much pressure" is more associated with the line of engagement than D-line, although both matter and play their part. 

Btw, what do you mean by "gave positions"? 

1 hour ago, AbdelBarrada said:

Is it logical to use offside trap with standart defensive line?

Depends on how good your defenders are. If they are not good enough in terms of anticipation, concentration, positioning, decisions and teamwork, then offside trap can be risky on any DL setting.

9 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

This can be caused by some other elements of a tactic, not necessarily defensive line or LOE. In fact, inviting "too much pressure" is more associated with the line of engagement than D-line, although both matter and play their part. 

Btw, what do you mean by "gave positions"? 

Two many shots on/off target from opposition.

9 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Depends on how good your defenders are. If they are not good enough in terms of anticipation, concentration, positioning, decisions and teamwork, then offside trap can be risky on any DL setting.

Here are my 4 regular starter:

e4.thumb.JPG.cb8e3aab7229d21ef52e7733b1e24963.JPGe3.thumb.JPG.85558ffe19c332a94d3917e3cc3df66e.JPGe2.thumb.JPG.d632c0944efa17b31494b9659a40ed63.JPGe1.thumb.JPG.2e529a7bce9a227273edc110dc4bc226.JPG

8 hours ago, AbdelBarrada said:

Here are my 4 regular starter:

e4.thumb.JPG.cb8e3aab7229d21ef52e7733b1e24963.JPGe3.thumb.JPG.85558ffe19c332a94d3917e3cc3df66e.JPGe2.thumb.JPG.d632c0944efa17b31494b9659a40ed63.JPGe1.thumb.JPG.2e529a7bce9a227273edc110dc4bc226.JPG

Okay, I know these players. They look decent overall. But I personally would be wary of playing a high D-lime with them, especially under a high team mentality. And would definitely avoid the get stuck in instruction, considering all aspects of your tactic as a whole.