A guide into my madness (Breathtaking football)

Finally, after the struggle, after frustration, a nearly broken PC, Hours of crying in my mom's basement, Hours of doing what I love with the only and best game I've ever played I bring you a guide on how I managed to finally bring my footballing phylosophy into Football Manager. 

I just want to say I'm not good at writing guides or writing in general and I have no preparation, I'm doing this by heart. 

INTRUDUCTION TO MY PHYLOSOPHY:

My phylosophy is heavily influenced by Mourinho's Real Madrid I call it "Breathtaking Football" (this is by no means a recreation). 

Analogy : Take a moment and imagine you are in the city, it's broad daylight, you are happy, the air is fresh the place is beautiful everything awesome. You are just walking and in the distance you see a person coming towards you slowly, they approach you and say politely "hi sorry but can you give me some directions I need to get from A to be B do you know the way there?" You stop think on the the way to get there and you calmly explain and (s)he leaves on her way to the intended target. Quite nice scenario right? But know imagine the same exact scenario but the person comes running at you fast, already you are overwhelmed and s(he) says yelling "GIVE ME SOME FU**ING DIRECTIONS NOW FAST I NEED TO GET FROM A TO B RIGHT NOW QUICK" your reaction would be something like "wooah what the hell" yes my phylosophy is just that second scenario.

Next post I will talk tactics and how to get what I just mention into a working football manager tactic and how this analogy has anything to do with football. 

Edited by Strikerir1

I think if he wasn't too busy moaning about how Covid-19 means he has no strikers Mourinho would be outraged at invoking his name when talking about having a 'philosophy' :lol:

Given most of the people who post threads tend towards possession play (and those threads tend to get the most replies - its a self-feeding loop) I'm interested to see what you've come up with. Had an FM18 tactic very loosely modelled on the same side with Man Utd and it was great fun, realistic too as I got hammered by Barcelona twice in a week!

14 hours ago, zlatanera said:

I think if he wasn't too busy moaning about how Covid-19 means he has no strikers Mourinho would be outraged at invoking his name when talking about having a 'philosophy' :lol:

Given most of the people who post threads tend towards possession play (and those threads tend to get the most replies - its a self-feeding loop) I'm interested to see what you've come up with. Had an FM18 tactic very loosely modelled on the same side with Man Utd and it was great fun, realistic too as I got hammered by Barcelona twice in a week!

I mean he has a phylosophy himself he just doesn't like the word as he prefers to call it "principles of play" 

Sorry for not updating it yet I've been kinda busy and my PC is a really bad old laptop but I'll try it today no promises (and I'm trying to get some games in I'm currently with lyon. Main reason why it's depay I think he will be awesome with the tactic I have in mind and the squad as whole is really good) 

13 hours ago, gennamitico said:

Did you abandone the idea man?

No I didn't I just got nasty sick and I don't know how I'm going to structure this but I promise I absolutely promise I will post many things in the same day once I finish gathering ideias I'm sorry for delaying this it was just a bad timing to open this thread but like I said I really want to do this and I will 

Finally some updates eh? Here I will breafely talk about the team I chose and some of the key players that I can definitely build the tactic around so here it goes. 

1200px-Olympique_Lyonnais_svg.thumb.png.004a2fb49ea22aab479b172bf03af163.png

Lyon it's a team I really like, I don't really watch French football but I know they are a team that always play good football, they have a young squad with brilliant players. 

trofys.thumb.PNG.b6b80ff0e96a5ee479b2945b50a72980.PNG

This is their trophys as you can see their have trophys that can fill a whole museum but... There's one missing. The most coveted price in European football, the UEFA Champions League. 

Now to some players that I think will be key for the approach I want to take. 

depay.thumb.PNG.4e5ee26882fe5a38a5307a74644b0454.PNG

Manfish depay. The absolute key player of this team the star that shines the brightest. If there's a player I can compare from the Mourinho Era in Real Madrid this guy would be our Cristiano Ronaldo, he even has similar style of PPM's to Ronaldo, he is just not as physical and obviously not as good, but the closest we will get. 

dembele.thumb.PNG.427f021098aa536362171a736835f5fb.PNG

Dembele, a great striker as phenomenal attributes that will improve he is our second star. He will be our spear head and he can do a bit of everything I guess you can call him our version of benzema I will go as far as to call him "The French Benzema" (haha soo funny). aouar.thumb.PNG.afa9c3d7e8af542ba33387008ea16f7c.PNG

Next up Aouar, with his amazing compusure and passing and all around technical ability he is going to be our mesut ozil. 

lopes.thumb.PNG.616b9020e9a4105fb692b0eb6ab65fa7.PNG

Anthony Lopez, yes tactically he will not be that important but still a key player that will make sure our goal is protected, I also like him because he is portuguese. 

bruno.thumb.PNG.77ea685eb2efd8daffcb8da8810744a0.PNG

And finally the string puller an amazing player I really rate this guy, when he was in Brazil I'd always sign him I think he will be key to spring the counter attacks from deep. 

And that's it for the main players, next up will come the juicy part where I will talk how I go about making a tactic and using the tools I have on my disposal. 

13 hours ago, Strikerir1 said:

Manfish depay.

:lol: love the autocorrect!

13 hours ago, Strikerir1 said:

bruno.thumb.PNG.77ea685eb2efd8daffcb8da8810744a0.PNG

And finally the string puller an amazing player I really rate this guy, when he was in Brazil I'd always sign him I think he will be key to spring the counter attacks from deep.

That's Bruno Guimaraes for anyone who doesn't know.
I started my save before the final transfer update so he hasn't moved to Lyon in my game (real life transfer).
He went to Napoli instead and looks a beast!

20200324010530_1.thumb.jpg.56a29f02aa612170b96e7028a4c6ebe6.jpg

By choosing my favourite FM team you’ve maintained my interest!

Randomly moving where Tendency To Punch is in the order of goalkeeper attributes briefly had me thinking Lopes had a massive downgrade to only 10 Reflexes though.

Edited by zlatanera

Now for the tactics the post many of you been waiting. 

First I will give an explanation on how I setup my tactics, what do I look and where do I look in order to set up the tactics, secondly I will explain my thought process on the tactics chosen and reveal some key principles to achieve the style that we desire. 

Capturar1.thumb.PNG.9e679a4beed2a3c68c40cd0c22dc3500.PNG

First I take a brief look at this. Why brief? Because whylist this is important and can give a lot of cool information, this has to many variables as this is a look at all the players in the first team soo its not really specific, but I still recommend looking at this with some degree of concentration. 

Capturar2.thumb.PNG.2239229ed80711e3ce6d328a16ba03fc.PNG

I also take a look at this, this also an average all players in a sector of defense, midfield and attack, due to that split it becomes more specific information therefore even more usefull. 

Here on the defence, we see that.

1- We are the best at marking. 

2- We are also pretty good at Positioning, Tackling, Strength. 

3- Decent in acceleration, jumping and heading. 

4- Below average pace. 

OK with this information what can we conclude? 

1- we can employ a Tighter Marking, close and aggressive on the opponent. 

2- We can tackle harder and bully attackers off the ball. 

3-We shouldn't play that narrow as Jumping and Heading are decent but not amazing. 

4- Pace and Acceleration are meh, soo maybe not a super high line, a decently high line could work, but I'm going more for a mid block. 

Capturar3.thumb.PNG.0b9f4f23320bcc61c2d9fe6132e14801.PNG

Now for the Midfield, for some people they call this the core of the team, the pillars of a tactic. 

What we can see on this screen? 

1- We have really good stamina, 2nd in the league (I can guess who's the first). 

2- Good Passing and teamwork. 

3- Average tackling, technique, decisions and vision.  

4- Horrible Long Shots (oh God I need to sign Paul Pogba). 

What can we conclude with this? 

1- They can run around for a long time soo maybe we can press in the midfield. 

2- Passing excellent we can make some raking, accurate trough balls, maybe pass into space and more direct?. Teamwork again it means they might be good at supporting the press. 

3- average tackling might mean we maybe won't get the ball directly from the press, but doesnt mean it won't work, pressing is all about forcing a mistake soo not necessarily tackling. Decisions and vision it will mean we won't always make the right trough ball and we won't always see the right pass, which can impact the ideia I have, soo I will take a closer look at that. 

4- I MUST SIGN PAUL POGBA. 

Capturar8.thumb.PNG.9faf0664ecd80a18cca9c8344b8f643f.PNG

The attacking part, the fun one innit? (hey some british slang now I'm officially allowed to drink tea) 

Let's see what can I get from this. 

1- Viuuuuuunnnnn. Oh what was that? A plane? A bird? A chetta?. Great pace and Acelaration. 

2- Good off the ball and Finishing

3- Crap at everything else. 

So what this all mean? 

1- Fast and Furious, excellent for what we want the pacy counter attacks and pacy attacking football. 

2- We can move we can dance (oh not that, no dancing) and we are clinical, good. 

3- We can't jump or head, we won't also score from distance and we can't anticipate, no crossing not even low because we won't get there first. 

So that's it for this part of the analysis. I also recommend to take as close of a look I gave at this to the physical, mental, and technical of every sector. I just didn't do that here as it will make the post way too big. 

Then I give a close look at every player I have in the first team. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...