How do I analyse a role within a tactic?

So I have been playing as Everton (I asked various questions in this thread - https://community.sigames.com/topic/512575-ancelottis-everton-how-do-i-setup/) and am now in my second season. I thought I needed to recruit and one particular position was the right winger. I had a look at the players at my disposal and thought Sandro would fit the bill pretty well. From here it made me think "how do I know if he is actually performing in the new role?" Overall rating is an indicator a lot use but I felt this is skewed a bit much by goals and assists. What about when the winger doesn't sore? Is there any way I can see if he is still adding to the team or if I need to drop him?

image.thumb.png.f95dbaa4f2404e59839ff68fdb98a27f.png

I created the filter above but am I looking at the right thing? I know a lot of it comes down to what I want him to do. At the moment I'm not much further on than "I want him to play well" but what does that mean? In the above graphic I have crosses attempted and completed average which seems logical for a crossing game. I'm pretty sure I have two faults here - a) I'm not really playing a crossing game with a narrow attack and b) I'm pretty sure corners count towards crosses. What can I take from this data when it may actually me skewed? I'm playing a shorter passing game so passes completed seems right. If it was the midfield paring and the WP I think I'd also be looking at key passes. Dribbles seems a smart thing for the wingers but what do I actually want to see here? I have run at defence on so I think a higher completion rate would be a KPI. The wings are set to close down more, tackle harder and mark tighter so I have tackles per game set. Goals, assists, chances and all the ratios I think are self explanatory. Averages are there for... I don't really know! I'm trying to look at the stats objectively while steering away from what could be potentially a skewed rating.

In the movie 'Moneyball' Oakland Athletics looked at on base percentage leading to runs. We don't have access to expected goals (@crusadertsar's website wrote an article on xG - https://dictatethegame.com/2019/09/27/getting-expected-goals-or-xg-into-fm19/) and in what I am looking at I think expected assists or even something else would be more useful.

So, what I am asking is (and I apologise for the very specific question) how do I know if Sandro is performing as a winger (or really, how any player is performing in a particular position/role).

41 minutes ago, nick1408 said:

So I have been playing as Everton (I asked various questions in this thread - https://community.sigames.com/topic/512575-ancelottis-everton-how-do-i-setup/) and am now in my second season. I thought I needed to recruit and one particular position was the right winger. I had a look at the players at my disposal and thought Sandro would fit the bill pretty well. From here it made me think "how do I know if he is actually performing in the new role?" Overall rating is an indicator a lot use but I felt this is skewed a bit much by goals and assists. What about when the winger doesn't sore? Is there any way I can see if he is still adding to the team or if I need to drop him?

image.thumb.png.f95dbaa4f2404e59839ff68fdb98a27f.png

I created the filter above but am I looking at the right thing? I know a lot of it comes down to what I want him to do. At the moment I'm not much further on than "I want him to play well" but what does that mean? In the above graphic I have crosses attempted and completed average which seems logical for a crossing game. I'm pretty sure I have two faults here - a) I'm not really playing a crossing game with a narrow attack and b) I'm pretty sure corners count towards crosses. What can I take from this data when it may actually me skewed? I'm playing a shorter passing game so passes completed seems right. If it was the midfield paring and the WP I think I'd also be looking at key passes. Dribbles seems a smart thing for the wingers but what do I actually want to see here? I have run at defence on so I think a higher completion rate would be a KPI. The wings are set to close down more, tackle harder and mark tighter so I have tackles per game set. Goals, assists, chances and all the ratios I think are self explanatory. Averages are there for... I don't really know! I'm trying to look at the stats objectively while steering away from what could be potentially a skewed rating.

In the movie 'Moneyball' Oakland Athletics looked at on base percentage leading to runs. We don't have access to expected goals (@crusadertsar's website wrote an article on xG - https://dictatethegame.com/2019/09/27/getting-expected-goals-or-xg-into-fm19/) and in what I am looking at I think expected assists or even something else would be more useful.

So, what I am asking is (and I apologise for the very specific question) how do I know if Sandro is performing as a winger (or really, how any player is performing in a particular position/role).

I've been toying with this idea but I have no idea how to implement it into a spreadsheet. I have the one for xG so it could, potentially, just be a case of substituting the shots/goals stats for assists/goals or something like that. 

I have looked at countless websites but I'm no further forward with regards to looking at other 'key' stats. I would like to think something like this would be possible but I'm at a loss at present. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.. found through a "Moneyball" search.  Trying to create a system to maximize selling potential of my youth academy but I can help you with some of your stats calcs.  You want to look at Dribbles per 90 and Key Passes Per 90 to evaluate wingers and generally I use this for most attacking positions.  The below dashboard came from an old stats assessment conversation on Discord awhile ago..

Here is the dashboard I use in the game:

ScreenClip.thumb.png.17963f4ae0348b9c4064b5559d6f0d5a.png

Depending on your system I look at Asts/90, Ch C/90, DRBPG, K PS/90, CR C/A for my wingers.  DRBPG and K PS/90 being the key stats for are they creating "scoring chances".  If you look at my 2 wingers in this only 5-6 games in they are averaging over 5 dribbles per game and the MR has 1.98 key passes per 90 and in the first 6 games he's been lighting it up.

Edited by Kharza_FM