Sign in to follow this  
dannysheard

Do we need difficulty levels?

158 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need difficultly levels?

• Yes
    • No

I've just finished my first season in FM20 and won the league with Liverpool (no signings, reputation one or two levels below maximum, left training to coaches so I couldn't exploit fitness, three sensible tactics built from scratch).

Now I know winning the league with Liverpool isn't the hardest thing, but we only dropped four points in the league and we only conceded seven goals (including Allison only conceding one in 30 games when he got back from injury). I rotated the team all the time as well to give the youngsters lots of starts and was rushing through the games quite a bit.

We need diff levels and we talked about that in last 10 - 15 years, but SI is against that. i find it crazy that they think we have all same skills and knowledge about the game. I think FM is only game that i play and dont have diff levels. First thing when i buy the game i check out do that game have diff levels. I play FM but its 2 easy, because i play FM since 1993, 27 years, and of course that i know how this game works, maybe better then anything in my life. 

I wish that i am 16 -21 years old, have plenty of time to play with my friends online, thats the best, because humans are much smarter then AI. 

I wish that code is more open to the public, so that we can make harder game in workshop for example. 

And when i speak about diff levels, i also agree that they must be made more interesting, like on harder levels AI make better moves in squad building , also during the match. That we need much longer time for scouting and even when scouting is finished , that we dont see exactly the number, that we can only see for example from 13-17. To completly remove stars system, where we can easy see he is 5 star player. Maybe even to see that agents pushing us that some of their players must play. Or that your chairman wants one or two players to play in the team, even if you dont like them. In general, that game puts much more preassure on you. 

There are lots of things that can make FM better, just everthing goes so dam slow.  

2 hours ago, dannysheard said:

I've just finished my first season in FM20 and won the league with Liverpool (no signings, reputation one or two levels below maximum, left training to coaches so I couldn't exploit fitness, three sensible tactics built from scratch).

Now I know winning the league with Liverpool isn't the hardest thing, but we only dropped four points in the league and we only conceded seven goals (including Allison only conceding one in 30 games when he got back from injury). I rotated the team all the time as well to give the youngsters lots of starts and was rushing through the games quite a bit.

You pick Liverpool - the best team in Europe - win everything and complain it is too easy? If you are going this with Aston Villa, perhaps. 

Out of interest you are designing your own tactics or downloading them? Because right there is the number one way to make the game harder.

As said, difficulty levels are already there. Play a smaller team, play in a smaller/lower league, play a youth only challenge (with a smaller team), impose other restrictions to make the game harder. 

Posted (edited)

The well known ME issues are making things a bit weird this year, but with a better balanced ME the games' 'difficulty levels' are all in the choice of team. 

Want an easy ride? Pick a dominant side in a league, mid-table mediocrities with a forgiving board, or a newly-promoted side with 'just survive' as its aim. Want things difficult? Find a really competitive league; pick a team with high expectations and a demanding board or pick a relegation candidate. If that's not enough there's plenty of lower league struggles to be had that make any win feel like you've won the Champions League final. I think it's Italy's Serie C that has an especially cruel playoff system - give that one a go!

It can be a little off-putting if all you want to do is play your favourite team and they are in the 'easy to manage' category, but step away from that mentality and try other leagues and there's lots of challenges to be had. And, of course, there's nothing to stop you having more than one manager in the save so you can continue to keep Liverpool dominant whilst a second manager has a journeyman career around the less well known leagues of the world.

Edited to add: Even with a Liverpool, Man City or Barcelona, you can run into trouble over the longer term - winning a league is easy - building total domination over a decade or so when  the board starts expecting you win everything can result in a challenge even with the easier top clubs.

Edited by rp1966

3 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

You pick Liverpool - the best team in Europe - win everything and complain it is too easy? If you are going this with Aston Villa, perhaps. 

Out of interest you are designing your own tactics or downloading them? Because right there is the number one way to make the game harder.

Yes, always build own tactics from scratch. Nothing crazy, just sensible 4-3-3 on Balanced, Positive and Attacking. Although I probably only use the Positive tactic for 90% of games.

I even change my formation every season to make them have to learn a new one every year to make it a bit harder.

I get that being Liverpool is fairly easy right now, but I have no interest in playing as anybody else. I did do a season and a half as Chorley on FM19 (having won 8 or 9 leagues in a row as Liverpool and something like 6 Champions Leagues) and won promotion in first season (and had a decent FA Cup run) and was top in second season, but just got bored.

I just wish it wasn't quite as easy as it is. Seven goals conceded in the league is just daft. Especially as I conceded six of those in my first six games :)

Difficulty levels and the "sliders idea" would be the death of this game, the death of all realism.

21 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

Yes, always build own tactics from scratch. Nothing crazy, just sensible 4-3-3 on Balanced, Positive and Attacking. Although I probably only use the Positive tactic for 90% of games.

Sounds like you know what you are doing! Congrats on the achievements with it! 

22 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

I get that being Liverpool is fairly easy right now, but I have no interest in playing as anybody else.

I wonder if Klopp feels the same this season! 

If you want a different challenge you can try to limit yourself. Only sign English players. Only play kids from your youth system. Things like that. This is pretty much like adding a difficulty level yourself manually. 

In terms of having a difficulty slider, I agree it is entirely against the point of the game. One of the very nice things about FM is that user and AI have exactly the same tools used in exactly the same way as each other. No fudges for the AI to give it an artificial boost like you see in all games with a difficulty (in the end all a difficulty slider is is a way to give the AI extra cheats). I never see it happening in FM. 

27 minutes ago, 99 said:

Difficulty levels and the "sliders idea" would be the death of this game, the death of all realism.

Please elaborate on why you think adding in difficulty levels would be the death of all realism.

I get some people wouldn't want to use the harder setting(s), but some of us would definitely like it, particularly if you play as one of the big clubs where it's incredibly easy to win the league every season.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, prot651 said:

We technically have difficult levels when you start a game … You can mask the attributes , You can not add key staff , You can not add players to payable leagues , You can disable the transfer market or you can go for a lower league team

This. 

Not to mention what badges and reputation you choose which is essentially a difficulty setting in all but name. 

Edited by craigcwwe

52 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

I even change my formation every season to make them have to learn a new one every year to make it a bit harder.

I get that being Liverpool is fairly easy right now, but I have no interest in playing as anybody else. I did do a season and a half as Chorley on FM19 (having won 8 or 9 leagues in a row as Liverpool and something like 6 Champions Leagues) and won promotion in first season (and had a decent FA Cup run) and was top in second season, but just got bored.

I just wish it wasn't quite as easy as it is. Seven goals conceded in the league is just daft. Especially as I conceded six of those in my first six games :)

Unfortunately your problem with the game is that you dont want to go anyone other than one of the best teams in the world. Like any game, you go the best the challenge is less. There's plenty of challenges to be had with this game. Infact the challenges are endless if you want to seek them out. 

Adding a difficulty setting just wouldnt work, this isnt Call of Duty or Battlefield. 

8 minutes ago, jimbo22 said:

Unfortunately your problem with the game is that you dont want to go anyone other than one of the best teams in the world. Like any game, you go the best the challenge is less. There's plenty of challenges to be had with this game. Infact the challenges are endless if you want to seek them out. 

Adding a difficulty setting just wouldnt work, this isnt Call of Duty or Battlefield. 

I agree that being Liverpool right now is going to be easy. But I would say that I don't recall any time in the last 5+ years of FM where I haven't won the league with Liverpool every single season.

And I have no doubt that I would win the league every season with City, Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Real, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Bayern, PSG, Juve, Napoli, Roma, Inter etc. So, does that mean that all people that want to play as those teams shouldn't bother as it's too easy. That's a fair chunk of people that can't play as the team they support.

I just don't see how difficulty levels would be such a problem. The ME already has some pretty odd mechanics, like a slow player chasing Mane 60 yards and catching up with him, or players with Finishing of 10 being just as good at converting chances as players with Finishing of 18, so it wouldn't look that out of place if the harder settings gave the AI a slight advantage in tackles, finishing etc.

Once again, play a smaller team in the league or in the lower leagues then. Or even better, pick a small league (Sweden, Belgium, Croatia, take your pick) and try to win the CL with a team from those countries. 

Another month, another thread from @dannysheard looking for difficulty levels and complaining the game is too easy, whilst constantly refusing to manage anyone other than the best team in the game. 

Difficulty levels are never going to happen. Deal with it. As people have been telling you for about 5 years now, there are countless ways to make the game more difficult for yourself. The problem is you're not interested in any of them or even willing to try. 

Plus ca change 

22 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Another month, another thread from @dannysheard looking for difficulty levels and complaining the game is too easy, whilst constantly refusing to manage anyone other than the best team in the game. 

Difficulty levels are never going to happen. Deal with it. As people have been telling you for about 5 years now, there are countless ways to make the game more difficult for yourself. The problem is you're not interested in any of them or even willing to try. 

Plus ca change 

I have tried pretty much everything that is sensible and allows the game to still be immersive (i.e. I really don't want to do something that is completely arbitrary like only use players from my youth team as that would take away a large part of what makes football interesting, which is good squad management), but I only want to be Liverpool manager.

Are all the people that don't want difficulty levels effectively saying that nobody who buys Football Manager should manage any of the top 5-6 teams in any league?

9 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

Are all the people that don't want difficulty levels effectively saying that nobody who buys Football Manager should manage any of the top 5-6 teams in any league?

Im not sure that anyone would say that but what people will say is that if you find it too easy and are complaining about it being too easy then you either accept it or try to change it up by managing teams in a more difficult situation. Here's an idea, go manage a team like Cambridge United and come back and let us know how easy the game is. 

8 minutes ago, jimbo22 said:

Im not sure that anyone would say that but what people will say is that if you find it too easy and are complaining about it being too easy then you either accept it or try to change it up by managing teams in a more difficult situation. Here's an idea, go manage a team like Cambridge United and come back and let us know how easy the game is. 

See previous comments, below:

3 hours ago, dannysheard said:

I did do a season and a half as Chorley on FM19 (having won 8 or 9 leagues in a row as Liverpool and something like 6 Champions Leagues) and won promotion in first season (and had a decent FA Cup run) and was top in second season, but just got bored.

20 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

I have tried pretty much everything that is sensible and allows the game to still be immersive (i.e. I really don't want to do something that is completely arbitrary like only use players from my youth team as that would take away a large part of what makes football interesting, which is good squad management), but I only want to be Liverpool manager.

Do a Director of Football challenge, where the DOF is in charge of all transfers. You openly admit you sign all the best wonderkids (another reason why it's easy for you), so if someone else is in charge of transfers, this wouldn't happen. 

1 minute ago, dannysheard said:

See previous comments, below:

Unfortunately thats on you. Id be bored managing a team like Liverpool after one season. Infact, I cant remember the last time I even started a game managing a big team in a big league. 

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

Do a Director of Football challenge, where the DOF is in charge of all transfers. You openly admit you sign all the best wonderkids (another reason why it's easy for you), so if someone else is in charge of transfers, this wouldn't happen. 

There's a million ways to play this game, You can make it as easy as you want of as difficult as you want, seems the OP doesnt want to do this. 

One thing I do is when I take over a club I always try to stick to is signing players the nationality of the club I manage. A lot of teams have squads packed with foreigners I make it a point to try to change that. Doesnt always work out and sometimes it can be difficult. 

In my opinion, the game definitely needs some sort of difficulty levels. I've been playing since 93/94 or thereabouts (less in recent years), and, like the dannysheard, I normally play with "my" team, in my case Man Utd. I've never had noteworthy problems winning the league in the first, or, at worst, the second season. This is just as true now as back when United were indeed the best team in the country. Managing Man Utd in their current situation should be difficult, because there are several teams in the PL that are significantly better than them. Do you think Ole Gunnar Solskjær finds it easy at the moment?

Rather than levels of difficulty, I'd call them levels of realism. More realism should make it harder to keep players happy if they're not playing regularly, certain players should be harder to manage regardless (Pogba, say), it should be harder to hold on to good players (in particular for smaller teams, which would make it harder to sustain growth over time), there should be more competition for players that you want to sign, there should be fewer players available who are interested in signing, etc. Also, other teams should be better at looking after they're own interests -- not easily selling players that they want to keep, making sure to replace players that they've sold, building up their squad in reaction to and anticipation of my (and other) clubs improving their squads.

Nothing in the above would make it artificially harder. Instead it would reduce the artificial simplicity that is currently in the game. Also, somebody made a point about level playing field between humans and the AI, but, realistically, it's only the human manager who actually does any thinking in this game, so inherently he/she certainly does have the upper hand. There are ways to re-balance this.

It should be just as hard, if not harder, to manage big clubs as it is to manage smaller clubs. Big club vs small club should definitely not need to define the level of difficulty.

1 minute ago, hognef said:

In my opinion, the game definitely needs some sort of difficulty levels. I've been playing since 93/94 or thereabouts (less in recent years), and, like the dannysheard, I normally play with "my" team, in my case Man Utd. I've never had noteworthy problems winning the league in the first, or, at worst, the second season. This is just as true now as back when United were indeed the best team in the country. Managing Man Utd in their current situation should be difficult, because there are several teams in the PL that are significantly better than them. Do you think Ole Gunnar Solskjær finds it easy at the moment?

Rather than levels of difficulty, I'd call them levels of realism. More realism should make it harder to keep players happy if they're not playing regularly, certain players should be harder to manage regardless (Pogba, say), it should be harder to hold on to good players (in particular for smaller teams, which would make it harder to sustain growth over time), there should be more competition for players that you want to sign, there should be fewer players available who are interested in signing, etc. Also, other teams should be better at looking after they're own interests -- not easily selling players that they want to keep, making sure to replace players that they've sold, building up their squad in reaction to and anticipation of my (and other) clubs improving their squads.

Nothing in the above would make it artificially harder. Instead it would reduce the artificial simplicity that is currently in the game. Also, somebody made a point about level playing field between humans and the AI, but, realistically, it's only the human manager who actually does any thinking in this game, so inherently he/she certainly does have the upper hand. There are ways to re-balance this.

It should be just as hard, if not harder, to manage big clubs as it is to manage smaller clubs. Big club vs small club should definitely not need to define the level of difficulty.

Totally agree, although we definitely appear to be in the minority.

People seem to be really happy with imposing their own, completely artificial proxies for difficulty (such as buying players from only one country), but they don't want the maker of the game to do it for them, properly.

16 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Are you saying you don't buy good young players if your scout finds them?

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

Personally, I start the game with low skills and a low reputation (which obviously is realistic as long as I am myself, though this is only a temporary limitation) and I'm avoiding signing any player with more than 2 years left on their contract (unless they're transfer listed). The latter I find a realistic enough restriction that I can easily live with, though I'm not sure it has that much of an impact on my ability to do well. I can never imagine limiting myself to signing only English players, or only players called John, or only using players from my own youth team, or only playing a 5-4-1 formation or anything like that, as all of those are just not realistic and take away too much of what the game is actually about.

Edited by hognef

7 hours ago, Matej said:

I think FM is only game that i play and dont have diff levels. First thing when i buy the game i check out do that game have diff levels.

grand theft auto

As has been said above, there are lots of ways to make the game more challenging/difficult so in my view there is no need to introduce fixed difficulty levels, which presumably would need major changes to the game code.

3 minutes ago, FrazT said:

As has been said above, there are lots of ways to make the game more challenging/difficult so in my view there is no need to introduce fixed difficulty levels, which presumably would need major changes to the game code.

What happens when someone can't win with the absolute best team? 

7 minutes ago, FrazT said:

The problem is, there isn't really anything for a Liverpool fan (or fan of any big team, I presume) who wants to keep the game realistic and immersive.

3 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

The problem is, there isn't really anything for a Liverpool fan (or fan of any big team, I presume) who wants to keep the game realistic and immersive.

Yeah, in many ways it is actually harder to manage a big team because if you mess up in 3-4 games your job is on the line. 

20 minutes ago, hognef said:

Personally, I start the game with low skills and a low reputation (which obviously is realistic as long as I am myself, though this is only a temporary limitation) and I'm avoiding signing any player with more than 2 years left on their contract (unless they're transfer listed). The latter I find a realistic enough restriction that I can easily live with, though I'm not sure it has that much of an impact on my ability to do well. I can never imagine limiting myself to signing only English players, or only players called John, or only using players from my own youth team, or only playing a 5-4-1 formation or anything like that, as all of those are just not realistic and take away too much of what the game is actually about.

I do similar where I have a load of unwritten rules to try to make it more difficult (no manual scouting, only sell players for sensible fees, routinely sell my best players if someone makes a sensible bid for them, change tactics every season, lower reputation), but I agree with you that I stop short of doing the things that would kill the immersion (like only signing players called John).

People get really angry when you even suggest difficulty levels. Not everyone is good at every game. I'm useless at Fifa as I get too angry. I don't play Resident Evil as I get a bit scared. But I find Football Manager really easy. The people that find it more difficult already wouldn't need to use the harder settings, in the same way that I didn't go on the hardest setting on Fifa.

11 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

Whats realistic about having a setting that makes it easier or difficult? Thats what you call unrealistic. 

14 minutes ago, jimbo22 said:

Whats realistic about having a setting that makes it easier or difficult? Thats what you call unrealistic. 

You realise there are plenty of things about this game that are not necessarily realistic? 

20 minutes ago, jimbo22 said:

Whats realistic about having a setting that makes it easier or difficult? Thats what you call unrealistic

That's exactly what others games do to compensate for the fact that (some) humans are cleverer than computer game AI.

In Civ games, for example, on harder levels the human player has a less than 50% chance of winning a fight between two identical units. Players know this, but they accept it as a way to make the game harder for the better players.

I would've thought it would be quite easy, and not that noticeable, to put a number of minor tweaks in the game to make it more difficult.

9 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

You realise there are plenty of things about this game that are not necessarily realistic? 

This exactly.

Like you can completely overhaul your entire coaching, medical and scouting teams in 10 minutes and make them twice as good as the previous manager had them.

Posted (edited)

But the game strives to be as realistic as possible, and a football management game shouldn't have a difficulty setting since football is what it is as a game. Want to make it harder? Play a team that's not as good. 

What you are asking is also impossible to code. 

Edited by KlaaZ

7 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Are you a coder? 

11 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

But the game strives to be as realistic as possible, and a football management game shouldn't have a difficulty setting since football is what it is as a game. Want to make it harder? Play a team that's not as good. 

Impossible, you say? Thanks for clarifying.

4 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

Are you a coder? 

No. Are you?

Considering the complexity of the ME and how hard it is to correct bugs without creating problems in other areas of the ME, I feel my statement is fairly safe though. 

Apart from that, an artificial difficulty setting on a sports management game is just ridiculous. Indirectly the game already has plenty of ways of manipulating the difficulty, but the OP doesn't want to use those. 

3 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

No. Are you?

Considering the complexity of the ME and how hard it is to correct bugs without creating problems in other areas of the ME, I feel my statement is fairly safe though. 

Apart from that, an artificial difficulty setting on a sports management game is just ridiculous. Indirectly the game already has plenty of ways of manipulating the difficulty, but the OP doesn't want to use those. 

I assume it'd be something like toning down the reaction times and goal rate of the AI. 

Regardless, if you're a less experienced/more casual player and want to have a chance of replicating Liverpool's success, 3-4 bad results can tank your entire save. I've always suggested, for years, the best thing would be for assistants to give more advice on exactly where tactics are going wrong so the less experienced player can adjust. 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

If it were indeed striving to be as realistic as possible, then it would be a lot harder than it currently is (at any club). Rather, I think it's striving to make it simple enough that anybody is likely to experience success. And, fair enough, that probably sells more copies of the game, though it comes at a cost - in particular for those that prefer to manage the "best" teams. The game is certainly not realistic in the same way as, for example, a flight sim. I already pointed out several areas that could be made more realistic without introducing anything (more) artificial (like making other teams compete better for the signatures of the top players), and there's nothing about that that is impossible to code.

Personally, I don't think it's necessary to introduce anything in the match engine, for example, to increase or reduce the human managed team's chance of scoring from a particular chance, as that would indeed feel artificial.

Edited by hognef
Added the last sentence.

Just now, hognef said:

If it were indeed striving to be as realistic as possible, then it would be a lot harder than it currently is (at any club). Rather, I think it's striving to make it simple enough that anybody is likely to experience success. And, fair enough, that probably sells more copies of the game, though it comes at a cost - in particular for those that prefer to manage the "best" teams. The game is certainly not realistic in the same way as, for example, a flight sim. I already pointed out several areas that could be made more realistic without introducing anything (more) artificial (like making other teams compete better for the signatures of the top players), and there's nothing about that that is impossible to code.

It isn't as realistic because a flight sim is a lot easier to code. Translating any sport into a game is a very, very challenging enterprise. And football is probably one of, if not the most complicated sport out there. 

But yes, it could always be more realistic. I think that's a given. I do believe people expect too much though. It's simply impossible to code football into a game. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Travis Bickle said:

Yeah but they are trying to replicate football management as best they can. There is an easy solution if you want a more difficult game. Dont go a team like Liverpool. 

Anyway, my opinion doesnt really matter though because im 100% certain that difficulty levels will never exist in this game. They havent since the early 90's when the game released and I doubt they ever will. 

Edited by jimbo22

9 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

It isn't as realistic because a flight sim is a lot easier to code. Translating any sport into a game is a very, very challenging enterprise. And football is probably one of, if not the most complicated sport out there. 

But yes, it could always be more realistic. I think that's a given. I do believe people expect too much though. It's simply impossible to code football into a game. 

Coding the football itself into a game is definitely not straightforward, I'll give you that.

But, as stated, the stuff that goes on before and after the matches can be made as "difficult" or "easy" as they want it to be. For a lot of those areas, it's just a question of how much of a certain thing they want to deem "realistic". For example, how interested should other teams be in buying Mbappé if and when he becomes available? And how much should Mbappé himself have a say in where he ends up if he's sold? Better competition for signings and more opinionated players would make it more difficult to put together a squad of world beaters, and I think it'd be hard to argue that would result in a less realistic game.

As it stands, I'm likely to be the only one bidding for him, and he would have no concerns about signing for my club. If Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool and Bayern were also interested at the same time, I should really have to come up with something very special to be able to convince him to sign for me.

13 ore fa, dannysheard ha scritto:

So you're basically saying Liverpool is OP?

Pfft.

You know what, when someone jumps in saying a game is easy, I expect him to back his statement up by saying "hey I tried 10 leagues on 10 different tiers on 10 different clubs, from the worst to the best, and I easilly overachieved with all of them".

It's really up to you how difficult the game is. There are that many things in the game you could chose to make the game more challenging. Start as a Sunday league footballer. You can use your own way to play the game (like LLM) to make it more challenging. Promote every season at least three of you youth players to the main squad and let them play. It's really up to you. The game offers a core of game play, you can use it or you can add your own ideas.

6 hours ago, Federico said:

So you're basically saying Liverpool is OP?

Pfft.

You know what, when someone jumps in saying a game is easy, I expect him to back his statement up by saying "hey I tried 10 leagues on 10 different tiers on 10 different clubs, from the worst to the best, and I easilly overachieved with all of them".

It's the degree to which it is difficult that is the issue.

Should the current Liverpool be very strongly challenging for the league? Obviously.

Should they be able to easily win 10 league titles in a row and 90% of domestic cups and 75% of CL, even with a whole load of self-imposed difficulty proxies already being used? Of course not.

I guess we all know it's a pretty easy game, which makes the human look 2-3 levels better than they actually are, and it seems the 5 out of 10 level players don't want their 8 out of 10 results taken away from them.

I think you're probably right about there never being difficulty levels in the game now because it's been too long.

As for playing 10 leagues... I'm a Liverpool fan with three young kids. I just want to spend a few hours a week playing as my favourite team and it not be pointlessly easy to win pretty much every trophy every year forever.

Out of interest, are the people playing in lower leagues not getting promoted pretty much every season?