FM20 Performance Benchmarking Thread

4 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

@Color this website https://www.notebookcheck.net/Reviews.55.0.html is great for laptop reviews.  They go to an insane amount of detail.  Maybe look at their reviews to find a decent one?

Thanks. I already know this website and until now I've read many tests over and over again :)

The problem ist I can't decide. It's really difficult which laptop to buy :(

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Color said:

Thanks. I already know this website and until now I've read many tests over and over again :)

The problem ist I can't decide. It's really difficult which laptop to buy :(

It's a big purchase, i've been there before.  The more you look the harder the decision is!  In terms of FM though you can see with the benchmark results that in a lot of cases we're talking about quite fine margins in speed difference so I wouldn't get too hung upon it from an FM perspective.

Just go with either of the latest intel/AMD "H" processors and focus more maybe on screen quality and aesthetics.  How much you got to spend out of interest?

@Brother Ben

First thanks for this thread. 

It's not just from FM perspective. If it was so, I would have bought. 

As you said, it's for me also important the screen quality, material, thermals, fan volume, support etc. If I buy a new laptop, then I think I would also play (perhaps) GTA V and FIFA. 

Therefore the gpu must also a good one. But it shouldn't be that loud either. This is the reason why I'm preferring 17" Laptops. But in tests and reviews which I read, there aren't differences between 15" and 17" Laptops regarding to fan volume. 

I could spend up to 2000 Euros or a bit more, if the quality is nearly perfect. 

But now I think about an xmg pro 17 or xmg neo 15/17.

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally decided to buy a custom-built PC and recorded two sets of benchmarks - with the old build and the new one.

• Type: PC
  • Model: Custom
  • CPU Model: i5-4590
  • CPU Base Frequency: 3.30 GHz
  • CPU Turbo Frequency: 3.70 GHz
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3
  • RAM Clockspeed: 1600Mhz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
  • Storage Type: HDD
  1. Benchmark A: 1 min 55 Sec
  2. Benchmark B: 11 min 38 Sec
  3. Benchmark C: 14 min 51 Sec

---------------

• CPU Model: i7-10700K
  • CPU Base Frequency: 3.80 GHz
  • CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.10 GHz
  • RAM: 32GB DDR4
  • RAM Clockspeed: 3200Mhz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
  • Storage Type: SSD M.2
  1. Benchmark A: 56 sec
  2. Benchmark B: 5 min 50 Sec
  3. Benchmark C: 5 min 09 Sec

Good impromevent :)

5 minutes ago, Shevchenko said:

I have finally decided to buy a custom-built PC and recorded two sets of benchmarks - with the old build and the new one.

• CPU Model: i5-4590
  • CPU Base Frequency: 3.30 GHz
  • CPU Turbo Frequency: 3.70 GHz
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3
  • RAM Clockspeed: 1600Mhz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
  • Storage Type: HDD
  1. Benchmark A: 1 min 55 Sec
  2. Benchmark B: 11 min 38 Sec
  3. Benchmark C: 14 min 51 Sec

---------------

Good impromevent :)

Great improvement, how much did the build cost you if you don’t mind me asking?

45 minutes ago, Shevchenko said:

Good impromevent

That's almost identical to my i9 9900k on stock settings :)

Type: Desktop

Model: Custom

CPU Model: 3950X 

CPU Base Frequency: 3.8GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.70 GHz

RAM: 32GB

RAM Clockspeed: 3600Mhz CL14

GPU: Radeon VII

Storage Type: nVME

Benchmark A: 0:59
Benchmark B: 6:15
Benchmark C: 4:23

6 hours ago, TheMattB81 said:

Model: Custom

CPU Model: 3950X 

CPU Base Frequency: 3.8GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.70 GHz

RAM Clockspeed: 3600Mhz CL14

GPU: Radeon VII

Storage Type: nVME

Benchmark A: 0:59
Benchmark B: 6:15
Benchmark C: 4:23

Nice scores, the Ram makes the Ryzen shine for sure. 

I'll update the spreadsheet soon

I have circa 3 year old  Dino PC desktop and have decided to run benchmarks for first time:

Type: Desktop

Model: Dino PC

CPU Model: i7 - 7700

CPU Base Frequency: 3.6GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.2 GHz

RAM: 16GB DDR4

RAM Clockspeed: 2129Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Storage Type: SSD but my SI directory where games saved to is on HDD

Benchmark A: 1 min 03 Sec

Benchmark B: 7 min 33 Sec

Benchmark C: 8 min 14 Sec

I normally run 13 Nations with 28 leagues (all playable), large database giving circa 65k player count. Game indicates 2 stars and performance fine for me but was wondering about increasing player count with more countries, leagues etc. Not sure how my normal set up relates to benchmarks above given that all my leagues are playable and hence what impact I would notice from increasing player count to say 90k. Any feedback on my benchmark performance and impact moving to increased player count would be greatly appreciated.

@mhaffy Thanks for the benchmark:thup:

Personally I wouldn't load more players, but more from a game balance point of view than a speed one.  I just feel the transfer market is more realistic with a small database.  (purely anecdotal) 

I doubt increasing it would impact performance hugely to be fair but only you can be the judge of that.  You could of course do a benchmark of your own to see conclusively 

38 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

@mhaffy Thanks for the benchmark:thup:

Personally I wouldn't load more players, but more from a game balance point of view than a speed one.  I just feel the transfer market is more realistic with a small database.  (purely anecdotal)

Thanks for feedback. I am keen to get the balance right when setting up my database for long term career save so that transfers, in particular, are working well. I have seen to recall seeing somewhere that if you have too many players, versus playable leagues, then you will find it harder to sell your unwanted players as there are far more players available in the game than the few AI controlled clubs actually need to fill their squads. .

If you assume 20 clubs per league with each club needing 75 players (25 each for first team, reserve and U18 squads) then the clubs in the 28 playable leagues that I normally set up would need 20 x 75 x 28 = 42,000 players. Thus a player pool of 65k from which playable league clubs only require 42k. Increasing my player count whilst retaining the same number of playable leagues would presumably lead to it being harder to sell unwanted players from my squad.

My playable leagues are 4 in England and the top 2 in 12 other countries and I was wondering about keeping same number of playable leagues but switching to 4 in England and top leagues only from 12 countries, say. However, it seems that this would probably increase my player count significantly as the player count seems to increase significantly when top league of a new country is added and very little for the second tier league.

The difference between choosing a small database versus a large database seems to be circa 6k players so maybe it would be worth me switching to a small database and adding a few more playable leagues with the total player count being kept at circa 65k as currently.

It would be good if there were some definitive feedback on optimal number of playable leagues versus database size/player count to ensure a vibrant transfer market and good balance of regens for a long term career save.

I would always favour active leagues over extra players

I doubt there will ever be definitive feedback as to the number of optimal leagues/player count as its all relative really.  My guess would be that the only way would be to run all leagues.  Sadly for the average user that's just not viable

1 hour ago, mstrmind5 said:

@Brother Ben roughly what type of system should you be aiming at to run max leagues and player count?

How inflated does the game become as the seasons progress, especially with regards to player count?

Thanks!

If you like it to run quickly then there really isn't one.  You'd have to compromise speed for realism.  Benchmark B shows that even with an i9 it takes over 5 minutes to simulate 9 days in-game

Even with the best system going it would still be a little slow.  And yes it will get a lot worse as the seasons progress.  With regards to player count i'm really not sure, i've never really tested it.

Just as a side note i used to always play with all leagues loaded and it used to crawl along but i convinced myself it was more realistic so the pain was worth it.  I'll be honest for me it really wasn't in FM16? I had one save the whole time that lasted 10 seasons and I never even moved clubs.

These days I just pick a random lower league club and select the nations that border it and just crack on.  You can get really caught up in what is/isn't the best setup imo

CPU Model: i9 - 10850k

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.1 on up to 2 cores, although I didn't see any jumps above 4.9 in fm. mostly hung around 4.8 and 4.9.

RAM Clockspeed: 4000MHz 18-19-19-39

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070ti

Storage Type: sata 6 SSD 

Benchmark B: 4 min 58 Sec

I'd love to run a locked 5.1 to 5.3 attempt but my psu has already died a dozen times tonight, 580w is not enough kool aid for the i9, neither is air cooling tbh.

Edit: Because the cpu barely draws any current in fm I was able to test 5GHz locked an all cores which resulted in a 4m41s run in benchmark B which is surprising because that represents a 5.8% improvement for only 100-200MHz higher clocks

Edited by Risitas

CPU Model: Intel i7 8086k

CPU Base Frequency: 4.0GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.0GHz

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

RAM Clockspeed: 3000MHz

GPU: Asus NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8gb

Storage Type: Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500GB

Benchmark A: 57 seconds

Benchmark B: 6 minutes 0 seconds

Benchmark C: 5 minutes 47 seconds

Type: Laptop

Model: MSI GS66

CPU Model: i7 - 10750H

CPU Base Frequency: 2.6GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.0 GHz

RAM: 16GB

RAM Clockspeed: 2666Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 2070 Max-Q - 8GB

Storage Type: SSD

Benchmark A: 0 min 59 Sec

Benchmark B: 6 min 40 Sec

Benchmark C: 6 min 22 Sec

Second post and spreadsheet updated  :thup:

Okay so with FM21 fast approaching i'm starting to think about how the benchmarks will look

The current benchmarks are as follows

Benchmark A - 20 leagues/10 nations/medium database - 7 day test

Benchmark B - 117 leagues/51 nations/large database - 11 day test

Benchmark C - 117 leagues/51 nations/large database/5 nations Full Detail - 6 day test

For FM21 I will be keeping the first 2 Benchmarks the same but Benchmark C will now be identical Benchmark B but 3-5 seasons into the future to see what progression of seasons does to performance

also all tests will be standardised to 7 days

I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on the changes

Edited by Brother Ben

• SI Staff

Think its sad to lose the full detail test as that does show off a different aspect of performance, but I think its also good to look at future perf - perhaps there is room for both :.

Model: Asus VivoBook Pro

CPU Model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz   2.21 GHz

CPU Base Frequency: 2,20 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4,10 GHz

RAM: 16GB

RAM Clockspeed: 2400 Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 - 4GB

Storage Type: SSD

Benchmark A: 1 min 20 Sec

Edited by marcin110987

8 hours ago, EdL said:

Think its sad to lose the full detail test as that does show off a different aspect of performance, but I think its also good to look at future perf - perhaps there is room for both :.

True, I just think it would be hard to ask people to do 4 tests.

I could drop Bench A but I think we need one that represents a typical setup to show you don’t need the best rig on earth to play the game

Bench B can’t be messed with as it’s the one that has been used for the many years these benchmarks have been going

So it comes down to Benchmark C which whilst it is nice to see how full detail plays out I just don’t think many people use it or even know it’s a thing

Im open to ideas though of course nothing is set in stone and I may well keep it exactly the same but just standardise the holiday time

Any input appreciated

• Type: Laptop
  • Model: Lenovo Yoga Slim 7
  • CPU Model: Ryzen 4500u
  • CPU Base Frequency: 2.30 GHz
  • CPU Turbo Frequency: 4 GHz
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4
  • RAM Clockspeed: 4266
  • GPU: Radeon graphics
  • Storage Type: SSD
  1. Benchmark A: 1 min 8 Sec
  2. Benchmark B: 9 min 32 Sec
  3. Benchmark C: 9 min 2 Sec

Edit: Benchmark C should be 9 min 2 sec, not 19 min as I first wrote.

Edited by Andresin

• 3 weeks later...

So AMD Ryzen 3900X and 3950X seem to deliver the fastest results for benchmark C according to this thread.. AMD announced the Ryzen 7 5800X processor to come out soon and according to test reports it seems to become the strongest CPU in single core operation. So this should accelerate the FM even more. Anyone here planning to buy that CPU once it comes out and test the FM with it? :D

Edited by Kruj

1 hour ago, Kruj said:

So AMD Ryzen 3900X and 3950X seem to deliver the fastest results for benchmark C according to this thread.. AMD announced the Ryzen 7 5800X processor to come out soon and according to test reports it seems to become the strongest CPU in single core operation. So this should accelerate the FM even more. Anyone here planning to buy that CPU once it comes out and test the FM with it? :D

I hope so.  This could be the first time that Ryzen is the best choice across the board.  It will be interesting to find out

I'm looking to start the thread on the week of full release

Type: Laptop

Model: MSI GL62M 7RE-623

CPU Model: i7 - 7700HQ

CPU Base Frequency: 2.80 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 3.80 GHz

RAM Clockspeed: 1200Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Storage Type: M.2 SSD

WITH RESTART (CLOSED UNNECESSARY APPS)

A: 1 min 19.81sec

B: 9 min 12.93 sec

C: 10 min 24.62 sec

WITHOUT RESTART (AND OTHER APPS OPEN)

A: 1 min 25.92 sec (+6.11 sec)

B: 9 min 57.64 sec (+44.71 sec)

C: 11 min 00.40 sec (+35.78 sec)

Edited by Harper
Re-ran with CPU restart

2 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

@Harper

Interesting comparison that.  Shows the value of having background apps closed.  I'll be honest though I didn't think that and a restart would have that much effect.

I didn't expect that big a difference either. I initially ran just switching from my active save game to the benchmarks, but had Discord, a few Chrome tabs, a few back ground system apps for the GPU, Intel Driver Update, etc.

Restarted and ran each, I didn't restart before each benchmark though.

3 minutes ago, Harper said:

I didn't expect that big a difference either. I initially ran just switching from my active save game to the benchmarks, but had Discord, a few Chrome tabs, a few back ground system apps for the GPU, Intel Driver Update, etc.

Restarted and ran each, I didn't restart before each benchmark though.

ah so you did have a fair bit open, chrome is a bit of a killer too.

Thanks for doing the test, i'll update the speadsheet soon

Type: PC

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Base Frequency: 3.2GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 3.6 GHz 

RAM Clockspeed: 3000Mhz CL15

GPU: MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GH OC, 2GB GDDR5

Storage Type: Samsung SSD 850 EVO - 250GB 

Benchmark A: 1 min 25 Sec

Benchmark B: 9 min 31 Sec

Benchmark C: 8 min 21 Sec

Model: MSI GL63 

CPU Model: i7 - 9750H

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.5GHz

RAM: 8GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB

Storage Type: Installed on HDD

Benchmark A: 2 min 00 sec

Benchmark B: 14min 50 sec

Benchmark C: 11min 36 Sec

May run these again sometime as I think A and B should be quicker based on C

15 hours ago, GuitarMan said:

Model: MSI GL63 

CPU Model: i7 - 9750H

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.5GHz

RAM: 8GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB

Storage Type: Installed on HDD

Benchmark A: 2 min 00 sec

Benchmark B: 14min 50 sec

Benchmark C: 11min 36 Sec

May run these again sometime as I think A and B should be quicker based on C

Yeah, Bench A looks especially slow.  Something not quite right there.  A laptop with the same processor has 1 min 13 sec.

Let me know how your re-test goes.  We can try a few things to troubleshoot if it stays the same.

On 05/11/2020 at 13:38, Brother Ben said:

Yeah, Bench A looks especially slow.  Something not quite right there.  A laptop with the same processor has 1 min 13 sec.

Let me know how your re-test goes.  We can try a few things to troubleshoot if it stays the same.

Re done today. Seems better was getting a fairly steady 4.0 ghz and 30%cpu utilisation through benchmark b. 

a: 1 min 40 secs

b: 12 min 50 secs

c: 9 min 29 secs

even with c it spent most of the time at 4ghz only dropping momentarily to 3.75 after batches of matches before bouncing back again. 

doesn’t appear to be a cooling issue therefore. Definitely better than the other night though. 

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 3 3100

CPU Turbo Frequency: 3.9 GHz 

RAM: 32GB DDR4 

RAM Clockspeed: 3600Mhz

GPU: RTX 3070

Storage Type: 1TB NVMe

Benchmark A: 1 min 3 Sec

Benchmark B: 7 min 24 Sec

Benchmark C: 7 min 42 Sec

i did an additional test overclocking to 4.2ghz turbo and it took around 5% off those times. 

Don't know if this has been brought up before but storage type is to vague. We need to know exact model info of storage devices as they all vary in speeds. I'm pretty sure a drive rated at 2000 MB/s will provide better benchmarks than a drive rated at 500 MB/s.

Also, is FM a single thread app or does it take advantage of higher multi thread cpus? 

1 hour ago, mantorras77 said:

Don't know if this has been brought up before but storage type is to vague. We need to know exact model info of storage devices as they all vary in speeds. I'm pretty sure a drive rated at 2000 MB/s will provide better benchmarks than a drive rated at 500 MB/s.

Also, is FM a single thread app or does it take advantage of higher multi thread cpus? 

In my experience real world performance of SSD's isn't that different, especially not for FM. 

All we really need to know is the whether its HDD or Solid state, then there is a discernible difference

The only thing an SSD helps with in FM really is saving the game

Obviously I stand to be corrected, the various new models of SSD have passed me by somewhat.  What we need is someone with the two variances you suggest to install the game and do the tests.  I'll bet it makes no difference though

FM multithreading and core usage is getting better each year but raw clockspeed wins in most usage cases yes

Just so everyone is aware the new Benchmarking thread will be started as soon as the game is officially released

After much consideration the 3 tests will remain the same with just 2 notable exceptions

1. All tests will last week of in-game time to standardise
  2. The tests will be in season 2 due to the issues this year with various leagues
Edited by Brother Ben

9 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

In my experience real world performance of SSD's isn't that different, especially not for FM. 

All we really need to know is the whether its HDD or Solid state, then there is a discernible difference

The only thing an SSD helps with in FM really is saving the game

Obviously I stand to be corrected, the various new models of SSD have passed me by somewhat.  What we need is someone with the two variances you suggest to install the game and do the tests.  I'll bet it makes no difference though

FM multithreading and core usage is getting better each year but raw clockspeed wins in most usage cases yes

Ok i see what you mean. So nothing is getting written to device while game is playing?

Just now, mantorras77 said:

Ok i see what you mean. So nothing is getting written to device while game is playing?

think most of what is used is held in RAM but again i'm no expert.  It may vary if you use a lot of added graphics I suppose

Just now, Brother Ben said:

think most of what is used is held in RAM but again i'm no expert.  It may vary if you use a lot of added graphics I suppose

I wish SI would give us this info so we know what hardware will give us the best results.

Looking forward to taking the benchmark this year with my 9500k.

Have to say after being a couple of seasons in with lots of countries loaded that the game is running very slick still.

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, mantorras77 said:

Thanks @Neil Brock

An SSD will be better than a mechanical drive - but I don't have figures on the impact, all my machines have SSD's now, I don't imagine for FM getting some really high end SSD is really going to make a massive difference, as we probably would bottleneck CPU before the hardware transfer speeds.

13 hours ago, EdL said:

An SSD will be better than a mechanical drive - but I don't have figures on the impact, all my machines have SSD's now, I don't imagine for FM getting some really high end SSD is really going to make a massive difference, as we probably would bottleneck CPU before the hardware transfer speeds.

Thanks! Ok how about CPU's, do only high single thread cpu's matter or does FM21 take advantage of multi-core cpu's?

10 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Looking forward to seeing how much quicker the times are on FM21 considering the positive feedback so far. I have access to the beta but won't be playing until the official release.

Certainly does feel quicker, although I'm yet to actually time it. I imagine your beast of a PC (you had the i7 or i9 right?) will breeze through it :D

The save function (I use fortnightly autosave) is noticeably faster for sure though.

• SI Staff
13 hours ago, mantorras77 said:

Thanks! Ok how about CPU's, do only high single thread cpu's matter or does FM21 take advantage of multi-core cpu's?

For most game setups single threaded is probably more important but larger games, espeically if you customise more matches to be in full detail more cores comes into its own.

I wouldn't really be considering less than 6 cores these days though.