Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
AurioDK

The game doesn´t look at player attributes?

Posted (edited)

Outside of the match engine the game doesn´t seem to look at player attributes at all. I made my own team of world beaters but with low CA/PA and froze their attributes, just wanted to see how the AI would respond to my world beaters. I of course scored past 500 goals in the vanarama league and nobody showed interest in them in spite of one having above 100 goals to his account.

The next experiment was to sign some better CA players and the assistant immediately chose those to represent the team instead of the ones with high attributes.

I did this experiment because I was somewhat perplexed with what my assistant recommends for my first team in my regular Gateshead game, in fact he hardly every makes any sense. In a normal game the CA is of course more representative of a players attributes, a center back will have his attributes distributed in a sensible way according to his CA making the AI´s lack of interest in my players understable. A low CA means low attributes and thus no interest but totally disregarding attributes?

My real team is a makeshift team where attributes currently are more valued than CA/PA due to financial restrictions. I f.ex. signed a wingback who had no business being a wingback, he looked however like an extremely decent centerback and it took me about 6 months to retrain him making him my best centerback atm. in the Premier League. Fair pace, strength, tackling and jumping but no technical skills whatsoever. I have seen this with quite a number of players but only regens, stats simply distributed in the wrong places which the AI doesn´t care about.

In my latest Liverpool trashing, they lost 5-0 and I noticed their fullback was a godly playmaker but did neither have pace, dribbling, tackling nor crossing and he gets terrible ratings at the position he is currently playing. I exploited that fully (not on purpose) and it won me the game, Liverpool will however probably keep playing him, it´s like they don´t realise he doesn´t have the stats to be a fullback.

I noticed this too as I went on holliday, the season was done with 7 games to go and I couldn´t relegate. He drew 2 and lost 5 using 4 of the players totally wrong while otherwise sticking to my own setup. It kind of surprised me a bit though, that the game doesn´t look at player attributes and only takes CA/PA + current position into account. In the match recommendation screen he does suggest players based on their attributes which counters my argument a bit, he fails however to acknowledge the lack of the most essential attributes in those positions like f.ex. tackling for a defender.

Is it just my current game or do you feel attributes are neglected by the AI in favor of CA?

PS: If Liverpool ditches that wingback I will be hots in for him, he would make a formidable advanced playmaker (without dribbling)

Edited by AurioDK

1 hour ago, AurioDK said:

I made my own team of world beaters but with low CA/PA and froze their attributes, just wanted to see how the AI would respond to my world beaters.

You should not be surprised that this has turned out the way it has. You have given the game a nonsensical input, and it has responded in a strange manner. The game uses CA and PA to judge players because a player with high CA is typically better than one with lower PA. It saves processing time, rather than comparing every attribute of every player for every team in the database. I have no idea if this is the only thing the AI looks at (someone with more knowledge can hopefully comment on that). So if your excellent players are ignored, it is because you have created an artificial scenario with excellent players at low CA. This simply cannot happen in the real game. 

I do think that the AI should be more discerning though, but not at the cost of significantly increased processing times. The user has an advantage that we do not really look at CA, but are more attribute focused. I am happy to buy a low CA player who my scouts rate as 60 if I know he is ideal for my team. This is something the AI lacks, but I think it is also not so easy to code into the game. 

1 hour ago, AurioDK said:

My real team is a makeshift team where attributes currently are more valued than CA/PA due to financial restrictions. I f.ex. signed a wingback who had no business being a wingback, he looked however like an extremely decent centerback and it took me about 6 months to retrain him making him my best centerback atm. in the Premier League. Fair pace, strength, tackling and jumping but no technical skills whatsoever. I have seen this with quite a number of players but only regens, stats simply distributed in the wrong places which the AI doesn´t care about.

In my latest Liverpool trashing, they lost 5-0 and I noticed their fullback was a godly playmaker but did neither have pace, dribbling, tackling nor crossing and he gets terrible ratings at the position he is currently playing. I exploited that fully (not on purpose) and it won me the game, Liverpool will however probably keep playing him, it´s like they don´t realise he doesn´t have the stats to be a fullback.

The AI has never been particularly good at this kind of thing. Probably because it is very complex to program "what if" scenarios with retraining. Although I do notice the AI does do a lot of retraining. It is not something I am intricately familiar with. I actually am unsure how the AI decides which players to retrain, and whether it is based on their attributes or just to increase versatility. You will get suggestions from the AM which suggest the AI notes things, like telling you X player should play Y role because he is excellent in the air, or things like that. 

18 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

The AI has never been particularly good at this kind of thing. Probably because it is very complex to program "what if" scenarios with retraining. Although I do notice the AI does do a lot of retraining. It is not something I am intricately familiar with. I actually am unsure how the AI decides which players to retrain, and whether it is based on their attributes or just to increase versatility. You will get suggestions from the AM which suggest the AI notes things, like telling you X player should play Y role because he is excellent in the air, or things like that. 

In an advisory context the AI does seem to recognize certain attributes like when asking for a trait, the assistant will tell his attributes might not be suited for that particular task. As I also stated in my OP the assistant will also provide opinions based on attributes, you are however probably right about the processing power and I actually didn´t think about that. It´s a lot easier to program CA/PA requirements into the AI rather than attribute requirements which would in turn slow a computer down.

Another weird happening in my game which relates to that mentioned Liverpool fullback, there are no wingbacks/fullbacks among the regens capable of crossing a ball in my game, the max value I have seen is 14 and only one, most really good ones have 9-11.

3 hours ago, AurioDK said:

>Outside of the match engine the game doesn´t seem to look at player attributes at all.

Well i got a newsflash for you buddy....