Role's Key Attributes and Prefer Attributes

So guys, I really need this information for my thesis to finish my bachelor degree in Informatics. Your information gonna be really helpful!

How did football manager decided which attributes is the best for specific roles, examples:

Why Inside forward key attributes is shooting, dribbling, movement, and pace in football manager?

Is there any standard? or is there any article or interview with someone who behind this?

Thanks guys.

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

The attributes highlighted as being key/preferred were reviewed and rewritten when we did the tactics revamp. As part of the design we got in a small group and reviewed everything together. We decided on each based on real-life analysis of players that play those roles, but also how the attributes system works in the ME. After that the final consideration that had to be made is that we differentiated the roles enough from eachother so that the role scoring isn't getting the same scores for multiple roles too often.

Then came the testing and iteration, which basically amounted to putting in our changes and viewing random players, making sure that the suggested role made sense. Considering the amount of players in the DB this was a very difficult balancing process! But I think we got a good balance overall.

If you have any further questions feel free to DM me and i'll answer if I can.

Much coffee was drunk :D

6 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

The attributes highlighted as being key/preferred were reviewed and rewritten when we did the tactics revamp. As part of the design we got in a small group and reviewed everything together. We decided on each based on real-life analysis of players that play those roles, but also how the attributes system works in the ME. After that the final consideration that had to be made is that we differentiated the roles enough from eachother so that the role scoring isn't getting the same scores for multiple roles too often.

Then came the testing and iteration, which basically amounted to putting in our changes and viewing random players, making sure that the suggested role made sense. Considering the amount of players in the DB this was a very difficult balancing process! But I think we got a good balance overall.

If you have any further questions feel free to DM me and i'll answer if I can.

Wow... this is very helpful!

I really appreciate this Jack! Thank you so much!

By the way, is there any sports/football experts that involved in this?

Edited by deadlessdead

• SI Staff
42 minutes ago, deadlessdead said:

Wow... this is very helpful!

I really appreciate this Jack! Thank you so much!

By the way, is there any sports/football experts that involved in this?

Several members of the match testing team have coaching qualifications and/or have previous worked in sports statistics, but we also occasionally have talks and discussions with different people working in football so that we can learn and gain insight on certain things we're working on.

In this specific process for identifying key/preferred attributes this was done entirely internally.