Struggling with AC Milan, Just can't score! And in need of Formation Help!

Hi, Don't often post on here. Im in my Second season with AC Milan. Really struggling with AC Milan in my second season, just can't seem to score. Read a few @Experienced Defender and they was a similar post re. 352 formation. I had some success with it at the end of my first season, so I went full steam with buys and only really have players to suit this formation, Belotti has been a massive let down and Chiesa wasn't the Best Buy as a CF but I wanted more Italian players. Any ideas on tactics and formation for this squad? not sure to stick with 352 or switch to a 433 but I just have nobody other than Chiesa who can play wide. Any help welcome, Thanks. 

Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 22.52.11.png

Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 22.52.39.png

7 minutes ago, Rooney_10 said:

Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 22.52.11.png

The tactic itself doesn't look bad. What might be a problem though is that this particular formation is not ideal for the style of football you seem to be trying to implement. 

13 minutes ago, Rooney_10 said:

Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 22.52.39.png

Btw, these results do not look bad, especially in the Serie A. I mean, Milan is not the strongest team in Italy anymore. 

18 minutes ago, Rooney_10 said:

not sure to stick with 352 or switch to a 433 but I just have nobody other than Chiesa who can play wide

Have you possibly thought about the narrow 442 diamond or 5212? 

Thanks for replying. So you'd suggest either a 442 diamond or 5212 with my current team instructions? I was playing 5212 at the start of the season but I just don't have a decent 10 to play there. I was playing the formation attached but I just can't seem to get that front 3 to work well together and my wingbacks (in both formations) get into the box and shoot which is frustrating despite having them on shoot less. ideally id like to play 5212, do you have any suggestions on the TI's and roles for the players I have. Thanks.

Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 23.33.18.png

Looking at results you seem to concede quite often, is there a particular way? Counters? That back 3 isn't very mobile (acceleration, agility, pace) if I remember correctly, especially Ajer to play as an outside CB who typically have to be CB/FB hybrids able to deal with wingers.  Most of the time you'll have 5 (3 DC, BWM + DLP) behind the ball + the GK so thats not the issue but one good ball to a fast forward and they're gone due to attributes and high line on high mentality.

You seem to score most games which is good but that midfield looks a bit passive.  Having two of the three central midfielders behind the ball when you have a back 3 is very safe. Potentially lacking attacking options when your on a positive mentality which encourages forward play. That DLP could be a AP or RPM for example to get him more advanced if needs to be the playmaker of the team.

Edited by summatsupeer

I seem to be conceding from set pieces quite a bit, its not something I've ever really looked at other than putting my taller attackers back and put the small pacey players up top. yeah I see what you mean with the midfield 3, I will try tonal as a RPM. Thanks

43 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Have you possibly thought about the narrow 442 diamond or 5212? 

Playing in Serie A, I recommend having all three, or at least having the willingness and understanding of how to shift from a base 532WB (or whatever) to what makes the most sense for your opposition, and that may change throughout a match, or depending on your form. One thing I really like about Serie A, especially early in a save, there's a lot more tactical variety from your opponents. 

I started an Atalanta save as my something different for a bit. My "base" formation is 3412 (5212 WB); however, I've only used that about 1/3rd of the time. I've also used 4312 (narrow), 532WB, 442 Diamond, etc. 

If you want 532WB to be your "base" formation, then the first thing I'd recommend is put Tonali in the center of your midfield. Get him as many touches as possible. He's your difference maker in the middle of the park. That gives him more chances to bring Hernandez and Calabria into the attack. Personally, I'd have Kessie in my XI, but I might be nitpicking there. I like what I've seen from F9 in one striker sets, where the real threat is coming from the outside, but not so much in two striker sets. I think the best pairing I've found up there is TM(s) and AF(A); obviously, I have Zapata, and Cheisa is no Zapata. Might try DLF instead though. 

I think your overall tactic needs a bit more direction, identity. What are you trying to do? How are you trying to score goals? 

Edited by XuluBak

10 minutes ago, Rooney_10 said:

11 minutes ago, Rooney_10 said:

I was playing the formation attached but I just can't seem to get that front 3 to work well together and my wingbacks

This 5212 tactic is so extreme I am not surprised at all it didn't work. Btw, Paqueta's role cannot be seen.

11 minutes ago, Rooney_10 said:

ideally id like to play 5212, do you have any suggestions on the TI's and roles for the players I have

I would make it a lot simpler and far less aggressive in terms of instructions and more sensible for roles/duties. For example:

F9       AF

AMat

DLPsu     MEZsu

WBat                               WBsu

CDde  CDst  BPDde

SKsu

Mentality - Balanced or Positive

In possession - shorter passing and play out of defence (potential tweaks - work ball into box, be more expressive)

In transition - nothing 

Out of possession - only higher DL 

Player instructions:

Left CB - stay wider (not necessary)

Right WB - sit narrower

MEZsu - close down more, take more risks, dribble more (assuming you have a capable player at Milan)

AMat - close down more

F9 - roam from position, close down more

AF - close down more

32 minutes ago, Rooney_10 said:

Thanks for replying. So you'd suggest either a 442 diamond or 5212 with my current team instructions? I was playing 5212 at the start of the season but I just don't have a decent 10 to play there. I was playing the formation attached but I just can't seem to get that front 3 to work well together and my wingbacks (in both formations) get into the box and shoot which is frustrating despite having them on shoot less. ideally id like to play 5212, do you have any suggestions on the TI's and roles for the players I have. Thanks.

I strongly recommend against anything that doesn't have Tonali in your XI. 

20 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

This 5212 tactic is so extreme I am not surprised at all it didn't work. Btw, Paqueta's role cannot be seen.

I would make it a lot simpler and far less aggressive in terms of instructions and more sensible for roles/duties. For example:

F9       AF

AMat

DLPsu     MEZsu

WBat                               WBsu

CDde  CDst  BPDde

SKsu

Mentality - Balanced or Positive

In possession - shorter passing and play out of defence (potential tweaks - work ball into box, be more expressive)

In transition - nothing 

Out of possession - only higher DL 

Player instructions:

Left CB - stay wider (not necessary)

Right WB - sit narrower

MEZsu - close down more, take more risks, dribble more (assuming you have a capable player at Milan)

AMat - close down more

F9 - roam from position, close down more

AF - close down more

tried this and have been having bit more success, a lot more solid at the back. Still don't really score as much as I would like. frustrating part is my wingbacks get into a decent position in the box and just shoot which is annoying. My forwards just don't seem to score that much either, I'm not sure if the players arnt suitable for the tactics. Arsenal offered 60m for Kessie so took than and bought Van Beek for 30m as I felt he could play 10 or in the Mez role but again anyone I seem to play in the 10 position just offers nothing. Been thinking to try Van Beek as a SS.

21 hours ago, XuluBak said:

Playing in Serie A, I recommend having all three, or at least having the willingness and understanding of how to shift from a base 532WB (or whatever) to what makes the most sense for your opposition, and that may change throughout a match, or depending on your form. One thing I really like about Serie A, especially early in a save, there's a lot more tactical variety from your opponents. 

I started an Atalanta save as my something different for a bit. My "base" formation is 3412 (5212 WB); however, I've only used that about 1/3rd of the time. I've also used 4312 (narrow), 532WB, 442 Diamond, etc. 

If you want 532WB to be your "base" formation, then the first thing I'd recommend is put Tonali in the center of your midfield. Get him as many touches as possible. He's your difference maker in the middle of the park. That gives him more chances to bring Hernandez and Calabria into the attack. Personally, I'd have Kessie in my XI, but I might be nitpicking there. I like what I've seen from F9 in one striker sets, where the real threat is coming from the outside, but not so much in two striker sets. I think the best pairing I've found up there is TM(s) and AF(A); obviously, I have Zapata, and Cheisa is no Zapata. Might try DLF instead though. 

I think your overall tactic needs a bit more direction, identity. What are you trying to do? How are you trying to score goals? 

Thanks for your reply. Yeah id do need to be bit more flexible with tactics. My front 3 are just so ineffective and its so frustrating, the wingbacks are also wasteful when they shoot in dangerous areas. 

Very often the team play it into wide positions and the wingbacks often are wasteful.

I Just want to play a attacking and possession based game.

25 minutes ago, Rooney_10 said:

tried this and have been having bit more success, a lot more solid at the back. Still don't really score as much as I would like

Maybe your expectations are a bit unrealistic. Anyway, you now at least have a good/decent tactical foundation from which to build by making small sensible tweaks. 

9 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Maybe your expectations are a bit unrealistic. Anyway, you now at least have a good/decent tactical foundation from which to build by making small sensible tweaks. 

Yeah maybe. I'm 4th in the league. 1st in goals conceded and 10th in goals scored. Thank you for your help though.

Edited by Rooney_10