Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
likesiamesefish

Who is your most expensive signing and were they worth it?

My most expensive signing is a CB I signed for £215m from West Ham. Before that I had paid £200m twice before and thought that I could get any player I'd unsettled for that fee but I had to bid up in £5m increments for this guy and the board actually went over their manager's head to sell him to me.

358079270_Screenshot2020-02-24at19_50_04.thumb.png.3876a38b30c55e6913d3572834355087.png

I signed him for largely the same reasons I made the other two massive signings, he was playing for a team who presented a real challenge and I liked the idea of taking their star man. I had him as top transfer target for two years before I got him and West Ham had a terrible season the year after he'd left. All in all, he was worth it for me, but I do have cash to burn at this point obviously. He's not the best CB I've ever had but he's the best defender at the club and probably in the country. Was particularly keen because he shared a second nationality of Trinidadian with my star central midfielder. He scored the winning penalty in the CL in his first year so he's even had one of those goals where the commentator would blatantly have commented on his monstrous fee.

836526196_Screenshot2020-02-24at19_52_36.thumb.png.0dae93015c43ab4854972d264acaaf91.png

How much have you guys ended up blowing on a player you just decided you wanted that much and did he work out for you or was he not that great? One of my £200m buys was never worth it and his presence annoyed me until he retired so I'm pleased to not feel totally ripped off with this player.

On this version. Trent. 190 mil. For Man City.

Every penny :)

1 minute ago, Tyburn said:

On this version. Trent. 190 mil. For Man City.

Every penny :)

I tried to bring him in on my save but he went to dirty Leeds and got relegated instead, serves him right.

£40m on FM14, I think? Yeah, he was OK.

Edited by Deisler26

On this version - £10m. Set myself a limit to not spend more than that on one player as I'm such a small team in the Prem.

Ever - £100m on a Brazilian striker from Man City. Best stats I've ever seen on a player.

Edited by Grifty

209m Kylian Mbappe from PSG to Barcelona. I get 30+ goals out of him played as False 9.

340m When De Gea wanted to leave my restored and winning MU side for PSG that won nothing. First PSG bid, no Top Target or anything and De Gea refused to stay, so I bought Donnarumma for 340m as replacement (They didn't accept bids until I triggered a board overrule). I don't get it, there shouldn't be a reason for De Gea to leave a restored MU, we were  back to being the number one team in the world, but somehow PSG, not Barca, not Real Madrid, can bid below value and unseat the player in the first try.

9 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

I don't get it, there shouldn't be a reason for De Gea to leave a restored MU, we were  back to being the number one team in the world, but somehow PSG, not Barca, not Real Madrid, can bid below value and unseat the player in the first try.

Particularly odd given that he is a Model Citizen.

image.thumb.png.61b22d556da3c087b8b0d187c2884938.png

£141m for this player just yesterday in the closing hours of the 2045 January transfer window, from Man Utd. I had been looking at him for years and finally unsettled him enough when this transfer window was about to open. United's manager dislikes me and would just keep saying flat out no to my £120m bids but I kept hammering them with it, putting him as top target and making my team captain talk to the media about him etc. Eventually Ferreira forced a transfer listing, I sold two defenders that weren't of use to me anymore to afford him, and time will tell if it was a wise move. He was just a player I felt I had to have. 157cm short, and look at those mental stats. This guy is a little wizard and I can't wait to see what rabbits he pulls out of his hat for me.

£106m for Son Heung Min in second season with my champions Man Utd.

He was terrible.

Sold to Chelsea for £64m after 18 months.

@Norfair The stats on that Portuguese newgen are UNREAL! The mental stats alone.

I tend to play quite 'conservatively' on FM when it comes to money and I've never broken the £100 million barrier (I have sold at this amount though :) )

11 minutes ago, hickmanrocks said:

@Norfair The stats on that Portuguese newgen are UNREAL! The mental stats alone.

I tend to play quite 'conservatively' on FM when it comes to money and I've never broken the £100 million barrier (I have sold at this amount though :) )

He does look fantastic. I'm pretty sure I scouted him when he was 19-20 or so and he looked promising, but there was nothing to suggest he would eventually turn into what he is now. I think that's part of the beauty with FM20 compared to when I played last (FM16) - it's harder to find players early that go on to become world class at 25. It used to be way too easy to hoard players but now you 1) often have to pay bigger for them, 2) have to invest time scouting and unsettling them, and 3) have less guarantee they will keep improving to the level you need them to be. I love it, makes it more challenging and that's exactly what FM needs to be.

Totally agree @Norfair. I remember on FM18 stockpiling wonderkids, sending them on loan, seeing their value soar after a few seasons and then selling them on for huge profit. I managed to build a balance of nearly £500 million after 10 seasons with Norwich.

This has led to adjustment of mindset on my part - whereas before I would pay £10 million for a highly rated youngster, now I find I'm asked to pay £30-40 million for 80+ rated youngsters. Does make me consider more carefully who I'm bidding on.

about 25 million € for a 18 year old right winger; no, was it no worth as he wanted to leave after a saison, did not train well, created trouble in the team; but he almost always played well when he played.

My mistake ... wanted a good right winger to have more tactical flexibility but that did not work really; so he played in the midfield and that worked not bad; but for his taste he played not often enough.

Got about my money back when he was sold to a big six club in the PL

I paid £136 for a 25 year old Mbappe. He's spent two years with me and has been my best player / top scorer, regardless of if he's up top or on the wing. 

I then spent £105 for a 22 year old Fati a year later. The two are magical together. 

24 minutes ago, r0x0r said:

I paid £136 for a 25 year old Mbappe. He's spent two years with me and has been my best player / top scorer, regardless of if he's up top or on the wing. 

I then spent £105 for a 22 year old Fati a year later. The two are magical together. 

Barca simply shouldn't be selling Fati no matter the bid, he is a top 5 players in the world and HG Spanish, why would a Spanish team like Barca ever sell him, only thing less insane would be like selling a young Messi.

You should at least pay 300+ to force a board enforced sale.

13 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

Barca simply shouldn't be selling Fati no matter the bid, he is a top 5 players in the world and HG Spanish, why would a Spanish team like Barca ever sell him, only thing less insane would be like selling a young Messi.

You should at least pay 300+ to force a board enforced sale.

I got him for 3.8 mil in 2022 as Villa. Was utterly ridiculous. Like. Completely bonkers. What Barca were doing I have absolutely no idea. But, you know. Thank you very much :) They listed him. For his current value. Major AI fail. Not the norm I hasten to add.

Edited by Tyburn

18 millions for a Brazilian regen CD 18yo. 
I had doubt about him, cause that was the greater amount of money I ever spent (in fm20) (a part him I have spent 8 millions for a 16yo AM from France touted the next Zidane) (I'm playing at Soroksar in Hungary, 2043) 

and 'cause he wasn't so better of my CD at time, but he was 4y younger. 

He become soon a wonderkid, but after the first year, Flamengo comes and paid the clausole of 33 m and he went away. Sad story.

Edited by FlorianAlbert9

$86M most I’ve done. Just sold Pellegri from West Ham to City for $155M, coincidentally my highest fee out

40 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

I got him for 3.8 mil in 2022 as Villa. Was utterly ridiculous. Like. Completely bonkers. What Barca were doing I have absolutely no idea. But, you know. Thank you very much :) They listed him. For his current value. Major AI fail. Not the norm I hasten to add.

Transfer market is definitely very different on FM20, had countless bargains by checking the listings.

Way back on CM01/02 in the Zealot Online Clan I paid £45,000,000 for a 21 year old Argentine striker when I was managing Tottenham, a fortune back then. During my ten years there he was a big star in winning four Premier Leagues and two Champions Leagues. My best signing ever and still to this day my most expensive.