Three tactics, difficult to dominate any game

I'm having a tough time getting my tactics to work. It's as if no player has the balls to make a crucial pass, no player seems to be able to beat his man. And defensively speaking, my players keep on backtracking and get dribbled past by even the worst teams who then score outrageous goals against me. I have similar issues with all three these tactics.

I'd like to combine Gegenpress tactics for some formations and fluid counter attacks with other ones. 

Is it the positions, roles, tactics? Any help is very welcome. Thanks i.a.

PS: I restarted my save after the winter DB update. We're still in preseason so I'm rotating some players but the problems even persist then.

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-24 om 18.46.06.png

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-24 om 18.48.24.png

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-24 om 18.49.36.png

You are not using just 3 different tactics, but 3 different formations, which are not even analogous between themselves.

My first 2 pieces of advice:

1. drop both the 4411 and 532, and stick solely to the 4141dm wide (a.k.a. 4123), because it's the best balanced formation and hence the easiest to set up a good/decent tactic;

2. then try to create a sensible tactic within the 4141dm wide formation

Once you set it up, post a screenshot here and I'll tell you if anything should be tweaked.

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

Once you set it up, post a screenshot here and I'll tell you if anything should be tweaked.

Alright, here we go.

I stuck with the 4141 DM Wide because it was always my go to formation and it does fit this set of players well (like most teams).

I've got central defenders who are great on the ball and wingbacks who love to bomb forward (they have it in their traits as well). To exploit this, I always like to use a hanging midfielder to compensate my bombing wingbacks. The central two in midfield are composed of a DLP with traits of long passes etc. I want him to sit there and launch passes to the wings (backs or IF's) and help to snuff out counter attacks. The BBM has to be everywhere vertically. I like to go with IF's on the wings to weigh more on the central defenders of the opposition and make some space for my wingbacks. Although I might choose to put Gomez (with 17 for crossing) as a winger to exploit that skill. My striker needs to be ready to run after balls over the top or pop in front of his man in the box whenever a cross comes in. He doesn't have to be too involved in the build-up play.

The TI's speak for themselves: I like wingplay and exploiting the full width of the pitch. I want to cross the pitch fast with a lot of movement to stretch the opposition and exploit the space with direct passes. In transitions I employ a Gegenpress since, ideally, I'd find myself high up the pitch. Judging from the screenshot, I could maximize my LOE. But then there won't be a lot of space for me to run into if I get the ball.

The biggest issue really is getting the ball off the opponent. My players are constantly being dribbled past by backs, DM's, CM's, the whole lot, even by mediocre teams. The only thing they seem to do is run along with them and backtrack and invite the long shot or through ball.

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-24 om 22.10.10.png

30 minutes ago, TOMetz said:

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-24 om 22.10.10.png

34 minutes ago, TOMetz said:

The TI's speak for themselves: I like wingplay and exploiting the full width of the pitch. I want to cross the pitch fast with a lot of movement to stretch the opposition and exploit the space with direct passes

If so, I think something like this would make more sense in terms of roles and duties:

DLFat

IFat                                        Wsu

DLPsu    CMat

DMde

WBsu     CDde    BPDde     FBsu

SKsu

Your in-possession TIs basically make sense for this style of play. I just don't think you need to use the pass into space all the time. Instead, use it situationally (as an in-match tweak). 

On the other hand, an instruction that could fit well into this style is - hit early crosses (in the setup I proposed above). 

40 minutes ago, TOMetz said:

In transitions I employ a Gegenpress since

I guess you meant "counter-press"? 

40 minutes ago, TOMetz said:

I could maximize my LOE. But then there won't be a lot of space for me to run into if I get the ball

Not only that it would deny your forwards the space, but would also increase your defensively vulnerability by reducing vertical compactness. 

42 minutes ago, TOMetz said:

The biggest issue really is getting the ball off the opponent. My players are constantly being dribbled past by backs, DM's, CM's, the whole lot, even by mediocre teams. The only thing they seem to do is run along with them and backtrack and invite the long shot or through ball

This means that your players are not good enough to successfully execute your relatively aggressive manner of defending (primarily the counter-press and more urgent pressing). So think about that.