Sports Interactive Community

I'm doing very well currently but I realise that unless I fix my obvious issues, it will soon change and I'll soon start losing games. 

I am finding it hard to create good chances regularly, often only creating 1 or 2 CCCs and/or half chances a game so relying on individual magic a bit. I have tried alsorts of different roles and duties to try create better opportunities. 

Please pick apart my current set up... 

The basics I want out of my team if it helps analyse is to dominate possession with short passing building up from the back but also want progressive passing as don't want to pass around aimlessly. Defensively, I want to press to allow me to win back possession and carry on dominating the game. 

I usually have mentality set to balanced, just tried positive to see what impact it had and the answer was not much. 

15825547119797754048904858451406.jpg

15825547530992715413174051991986.jpg

Edited by dan_bre_1988

3 hours ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

C'mon guys. Can nobody at all offer any kind of input :(

I am always looking to help, but honestly - I am rather hesitant in this case. Because from my experience with your previous threads, I've noticed that you tend to be stubborn in refusing to apply suggestions people give you. You ask for help, then people - me included - offer you advice, but you then keep insisting on your tactical "principles", however problematic they may be. 

That's the only reason I did not want to waste my time by trying to help to no avail.

On 24/02/2020 at 15:43, dan_bre_1988 said:

15825547119797754048904858451406.jpg

And on top of that - your results look very good.

48 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

I am always looking to help, but honestly - I am rather hesitant in this case. Because from my experience with your previous threads, I've noticed that you tend to be stubborn in refusing to apply suggestions people give you. You ask for help, then people - me included - offer you advice, but you then keep insisting on your tactical "principles", however problematic they may be. 

That's the only reason I did not want to waste my time by trying to help to no avail.

Sorry, I think you may have me mistaken with somebody else. 

Below is the first set up I had originally on last post. I applied what people suggested and got the tactic above. As you can see, I now have an attack minded WB, runner from CM and winger now on attack as well as role changes in CM. I also tried a suggestion of turning off 'work ball into box' (albeit this still shows on screenshot below as it didn't work, it just led to ridiculous shots from my CMs from 30yrds. The only thing I didn't change is more urgent pressing as I'm not conceding a lot of chances/goals. I did reply on original thread but no reply which is why I started a new one. 

I agree, my results are very good and I'm happy with the start but also know I've been a bit lucky. For eg I've won 2 games 1 0 because of direct free kicks and every game I don't seem to create more than 1 or 2 CCCs/half chances per game. I don't know whether it's all my tactics, if the players just not good enough in off the ball stats etc or a mix of both. 

I don't consider myself a 'stubborn' man. I don't play the game regularly and certainly don't profess to be great at it so I always take any advice into consideration and at least try it for a couple of games. 

IMG_20200205_133902.thumb.jpg.9aab60747ca403135fa58a161697ad4d.jpg

22 minutes ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

Sorry, I think you may have me mistaken with somebody else

I haven't mistaken you with anyone. And I remember this setup very well, it was also with Portsmouth. When I - among other suggestions - told you to try without more urgent pressing (in relation to the context of the tactic as a whole), you refused to even give it a try. And then I gave up on trying to help.

Which is absolutely okay - you have every right not to follow suggestions people give you, because it's your team and your tactic :thup:

8 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I haven't mistaken you with anyone. And I remember this setup very well, it was also with Portsmouth. When I - among other suggestions - told you to try without more urgent pressing (in relation to the context of the tactic as a whole), you refused to even give it a try. And then I gave up on trying to help.

Which is absolutely okay - you have every right not to follow suggestions people give you, because it's your team and your tactic :thup:

Would this help in relation to creating better chances? If so, what's the theory behind it? 

Apologies if that's how it comes across, I did try take suggestions into consideration and I changed my tactic accordingly. I'll try leaving it on standard pressing and see how it goes, just interested in the theory behind it? 

5 hours ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

Would this help in relation to creating better chances? If so, what's the theory behind it? 

Apologies if that's how it comes across, I did try take suggestions into consideration and I changed my tactic accordingly. I'll try leaving it on standard pressing and see how it goes, just interested in the theory behind it? 

There is no "theory" behind it. It's primarily about creating better tactical balance, because better tactical balance leads to better overall performances, which in turn lead to more and/or better chances.

And pressing urgency is just one element that might need to be tweaked, but certainly not the only one. Bear also in mind that you are a lower league team.

On 24/02/2020 at 15:43, dan_bre_1988 said:

15825547530992715413174051991986.jpg

4 minutes ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

Ok, still not really sure what I can change to help but cheers anyway... 

Well, I'll tell you what first I would change/tweak (putting the "more urgent" pressing aside for the moment as it's of secondary importance).

Roles and duties:

DLFsu

IFsu                                      Wat

DLPsu   CMat

Ade

FBat     CDde    CDde    FBsu

The key change here is the striker's duty and (partly also role). Other changes need not be literally the ones I proposed. For example, you can keep the DLP on defend duty in DM if that's so much important to you, but you definitely need a more holding/covering type of role in MCL (carrilero or BWM on support). Not only to provide defensive cover for your attacking LB, but also for better balance in attack.

Team instructions? I would start with only Distribute to CBs and FBs. Everything else would basically be just small tweaks. 

27 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Well, I'll tell you what first I would change/tweak (putting the "more urgent" pressing aside for the moment as it's of secondary importance).

Roles and duties:

DLFsu

IFsu                                      Wat

DLPsu   CMat

Ade

FBat     CDde    CDde    FBsu

The key change here is the striker's duty and (partly also role). Other changes need not be literally the ones I proposed. For example, you can keep the DLP on defend duty in DM if that's so much important to you, but you definitely need a more holding/covering type of role in MCL (carrilero or BWM on support). Not only to provide defensive cover for your attacking LB, but also for better balance in attack.

Team instructions? I would start with only Distribute to CBs and FBs. Everything else would basically be just small tweaks. 

Thanks for the tips. Will let you know how I go. I've actually got players to play anchor now so will try that. I did play an anchor at my previous job at Morecombe and worked well during promotion season. DLPd was purely because I didn't have anyone suitable for anchor role. 

Striker I've sort of flicked between the DLFs and PFa. The latter because it's his preferred role and I was finding he was dropping too deep as DLFs but maybe I need to accept he's not going to be the focal point for goals. 

WBa to FBa is an interesting one... What's the difference between the 2 in how they operate? 

1 hour ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

WBa to FBa is an interesting one... What's the difference between the 2 in how they operate? 

FBa is more defensively responsible, that's the key difference. As far as I remember, WB on attack is also hard-coded to dribble more and cross from byline. I took into account that you are a lower league team, so your players are probably not good enough to play overly demanding roles in general. 

On 25/02/2020 at 12:17, dan_bre_1988 said:

C'mon guys. Can nobody at all offer any kind of input :(

Truthfully, I suspect you're finding feedback hard to come by because: 1) you posted photos instead of screenshots, which are harder to read; and 2) it seems like every other thread is about 433 (4123 or 4141DM wide, w/e you wanna call it), so there's 'feedback fatigue' for 433 tactics. 

19 hours ago, XuluBak said:

Truthfully, I suspect you're finding feedback hard to come by because: 1) you posted photos instead of screenshots, which are harder to read; and 2) it seems like every other thread is about 433 (4123 or 4141DM wide, w/e you wanna call it), so there's 'feedback fatigue' for 433 tactics. 

This is because I only have it for the switch unfortunately. 

Yes, you could be right. It is a very popular tactic but the only one I can get some kind of success with haha