Sports Interactive Community
Bakiano

Scoring goals by lone striker in 4123 formation

Hi everyone,

my strikers are not scoring enough, Haland and Gouri are my strikers, both have scored per 10 goals but that is not enough. I was using them as a false nine but have to changed it and now I am thinking as CF attack.

Depay and Adeleide are my top scorers and both play in left IFa even though Depay had scored a lot of goals from distance and from FKs.

What do you suggest me to change? 

Olympique Lyonnais_ Players-2.png

Olympique Lyonnais_ Overview.png

A solution might be to change your attacking Depay into a supporting Depay as IW. The downside is obviously that he won't score as much. In order to shift your goal-hunting focus further towards Haaland, the Advanced Forward role might work. But I'm not sure if your players will score enough to make you happy after these changes.

Bare in mind that any changes could break your well-working tactical setup (judging by your league position).

Edited by gonefading

38 minutes ago, gonefading said:

A solution might be to change your attacking Depay into a supporting Depay as IW. The downside is obviously that he won't score as much. In order to shift your goal-hunting focus further towards Haaland, the Advanced Forward role might work. But I'm not sure if your players will score enough to make you happy after these changes.

Bare in mind that any changes could break your well-working tactical setup (judging by your league position).

I know that, tactic is working fine, most goals scored and least goals condeded in the league but I am not happy with my strikers. I dont want for them to score 30 goals or more. I would be happy if they score about 20 goals but they are scoring like my centre back Andersen which is a little frustrating. 

Will try the AF but will try to give the CF attack first, to see are there any improvements.

Well it’s very difficult for a lone striker to score many goals because he is alone up front against many defenders. Maybe you can try something like Bayern Munich with Lewandowski? 
bit I don’t believe that there is a small solution with AFa and that’s it. You need to create the space for your lone man.
Maybe if he is dropping deep (DLF) and gets PI to dribble more? the other defenders have to keep busy of course, like Bayern, where many threats come from other positions. Gnabry and Coman from the Wings, Müller from the back, there is then enough space for Lewandowski.

I play your formation and I also play the roles you use for your back 4 (although my WB’s are on Auto) I have a winger(a), an IW(a) and currently I’m using Pellegri as an AF(a). I do not use any PI’s for my front 3.

However, I use a lower line of engagement and a standard defensive line. I pass into space and I work the balk into box. I’m looking to hit teams on the break. 

In my current season Pellegri has scored 11 from 11 games. 2 pens. He’s scored 1v1’s, headers (1 from a corner) but he mostly scores from pull backs from my winger, and the odd through ball.

Its a different system to yours and playing with 3 (essentially) forwards on attack is specific to my more counter oriented philosophy, I’ve found having my ST as an AF (I’ve tried lots of roles) works best for me. 

I played him as a CF(s) for a lot of the season just gone with the idea he’d hold up the ball and bring others in around him, which worked well for the start of the season, with him also scoring a good amount of goals, but as my team started to gel more and more I found he was being left behind in my attacks and just wasn’t getting into enough goal scoring positions.

I use 2 CM’s on auto (I wanted to utilise their traits only) and my CDM is on DM(s) - (again to not have any PI’s and just use his traits)

I played around with roles for 6 seasons and then I just thought I’m going to strip it all back. Not use PI’s and pick roles that had the least imbedded instructions. I’ve also got 4 players on Auto (I call them my heartbeat) so that simply changing mentality mid game gives me a core of players that adjust in as pure a way as possible.

I’m not suggesting you do the same. Just a bit of background that might be useful.

Edited by Tyburn

If you're just wanting goals from your striker, everything else be damned, then I'd recommend an AF(A). The role is at it's best when combined with pace and some space to run into, but will get you goals created in the final third as well. 

I'm inclined to believe what @Tyburn said is correct but I have a few differences.

I to play the same formation and similar roles however im going to ask you this, what style are you going for? Realistically what I see is a team that is balanced but is very rarely making chances (analyse your own data from this). Your BBM will do so (not sure on his attributes tho) and your CM attack will just get in the box. Reine is your only creative player further up and heavy right sided, why? The only thing I can think of is that your CM is stealing your goals and that depay in IF-A is also the main outlet due to haaland being f9 (where he isn't supposed to get goals but all around help the team) he can't do that if only 1 player on his left and 1 midfielder does it...

IMO lower your LOE to standard (pushes their defence forward a bit in most cases and will create room behind if not fully defensive). Change halaand to a PF or AF-A due to his pace and strength, he'll get in the box more. One of your CM's needs to be a playmaker either on Attack or Support, my option would be AP for aouar BUT be wary that he will get given the ball to more so than the other midfielders so it maybe 1 sided (e.g. right sided play cause hes a ball hogger of an AP/DLP).

I think depay and halaand will be in the box alot more so the RW maybe use the PI get further forward/might have a trait to do that check on him, which will make him act as an IW but also get on the end of through balls like aoura can thread almost like adding a partial winger role in reine. 

I'd also change one of your BCD's to normal CD due to BCD's usually launching the ball either to the striker or midfield be that on the ground or in the air. Having 2 of them launch the ball can make your "short passing" TI frail abit, having 1 BCD and a CD only one will while the other plays it short and safe 9/10 times, you pick which is the best suited.

@Experienced Defender is probably best to advise you in some way due to being a tactical genius on FM :D

4 hours ago, Tyburn said:

However, I use a lower line of engagement and a standard defensive line. I pass into space and I work the balk into box. I’m looking to hit teams on the break. 

Thanks for the answer. I want to know do you play short passes or direct?

17 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

Well it’s very difficult for a lone striker to score many goals because he is alone up front against many defenders. Maybe you can try something like Bayern Munich with Lewandowski? 
bit I don’t believe that there is a small solution with AFa and that’s it. You need to create the space for your lone man.
Maybe if he is dropping deep (DLF) and gets PI to dribble more? the other defenders have to keep busy of course, like Bayern, where many threats come from other positions. Gnabry and Coman from the Wings, Müller from the back, there is then enough space for Lewandowski.

Well, I don't want to be my top scorer but at least second or third but my strikers are not even in my top 5 scorers.

1 hour ago, XuluBak said:

If you're just wanting goals from your striker, everything else be damned, then I'd recommend an AF(A). The role is at it's best when combined with pace and some space to run into, but will get you goals created in the final third as well. 

I will add TI pass into space but I dont know does it really work with short passes...

1 hour ago, BigV said:

I to play the same formation and similar roles however im going to ask you this, what style are you going for? Realistically what I see is a team that is balanced but is very rarely making chances (analyse your own data from this).

Surprisely, my team is first in the league with creating chances. 

1 hour ago, BigV said:

Reine is your only creative player further up and heavy right sided, why?

I didn't see that Reine is playing on the right, there is usually Kulusevski or Bertrand Traore.

1 hour ago, BigV said:

IMO lower your LOE to standard (pushes their defence forward a bit in most cases and will create room behind if not fully defensive). Change halaand to a PF or AF-A due to his pace and strength, he'll get in the box more. One of your CM's needs to be a playmaker either on Attack or Support, my option would be AP for aouar BUT be wary that he will get given the ball to more so than the other midfielders so it maybe 1 sided (e.g. right sided play cause hes a ball hogger of an AP/DLP).

I will lower my LOE and was thinking about adding TI pass into space but dont know will it work with short passing. 

So according to your instructions, this will be my formation:

PFa

IFa                        IWs

BBM    APa

DLPd

Wbs CDd   BPd  Wbs

SKs

1 hour ago, BigV said:

@Experienced Defender is probably best to advise you in some way due to being a tactical genius on FM :D

I am waiting for his advice, he helped me a lot. :D

Short passing, sometimes standard.

Short passing and pass into space is totally fine. 

Definitely try AF with this formation.

Edited by Tyburn

17 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

Short passing, sometimes standard.

Short passing and pass into space is totally fine. 

Definitely try AF with this formation.

Will try that with standard LOE. Thanks for suggestions!

Short passing and passing into space is fine, provided you're more concerned with goals than possession %, and the rest of your tactic supports it. 

If you're playing into space, then I recommend having one winger (ideally your strikers preferred side) to run into space on the flank, creating more space for the AF and/or creating chances themselves. 

2 hours ago, BigV said:

Thanks mate, but I am not a tactical genius, just a normal tactician who looks to apply principles of real-life football to FM in a logical, balanced and sensible manner. That's all :) 

1 hour ago, Bakiano said:

I am waiting for his advice, he helped me a lot. :D

I saw your thread and was about to offer some advice, but refrained when I saw in the screenshot that your team is 1st in the league.

Which means that the tactic works well for your team (at least for the time being). And if a tactic works, then you should not change it only for the sake of a single player or two. 

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

Thanks mate, but I am not a tactical genius, just a normal tactician who looks to apply principles of real-life football to FM in a logical, balanced and sensible manner. That's all :) 

I saw your thread and was about to offer some advice, but refrained when I saw in the screenshot that your team is 1st in the league.

Which means that the tactic works well for your team (at least for the time being). And if a tactic works, then you should not change it only for the sake of a single player or two. 

Well, you are right. The tactic is working well, as you can see in my SS. This is the second season, in my first season I was second but just 2 points behind PSG.

In the CL, in my first season I got knocked out in semi final against Tottenham after penalties and in the second season I got knocked out in quarter final against Man City after ET.

I am a perfectionist and want to be everything perfect, so I just wanted that my strikers score more..

received_182967389642334.png

Well I know what you’re talking about but Experienced Defender is right.

maybe you‘ll take a leave from OL and set for lower leagues than we‘re talking again ;)

17 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

Well I know what you’re talking about but Experienced Defender is right.

maybe you‘ll take a leave from OL and set for lower leagues than we‘re talking again ;)

Well, one or two maximum seasons and I will get bored so there will be a new save.

Lower league will be ofc 😁

4 hours ago, Bakiano said:

So according to your instructions, this will be my formation:

PFa

IFa                        IWs

BBM    APa

DLPd

Wbs CDd   BPd  Wbs

SKs

Yep pretty much and you can use pass into space once your LOE is on standard due to when countering it would work quite well rather than countering higher up where the defence line is closer to their goal. 

If it works as you say it does don't change much i'd say but maybe pressing forward will help Halaand score. Complete forward can be useful and usually is dependant on the match but cause of halaand's pace PF or AF is better suited imo. 

The losses were probably down to the ability, not many top class players you got there, I know maybe like 5ish, sometimes all you need is that quality to take it a step further. 

1 hour ago, Bakiano said:

Well, one or two maximum seasons and I will get bored so there will be a new save.

Lower league will be ofc 😁

Who is ofc? :D terrific to know. Well option B could be to terminate OL contract and apply to a lower league job :D 

On 25/02/2020 at 20:26, HanziZoloman said:

Who is ofc? :D terrific to know. Well option B could be to terminate OL contract and apply to a lower league job :D 

Took River Plate job on new save :D

2 minutes ago, Bakiano said:

Took River Plate job on new save :D

South American Adventure sounds nice, are they still second division?

1 hour ago, HanziZoloman said:

South American Adventure sounds nice, are they still second division?

Was doing that adventure in earlier fms but that was always a short one.

No, they are in first division. Media prediction are first place. I was choosing between them and Boca but didn like Boca because they want from me to sign Colombian players.

Just look at this guy, never heard of him but he is a world class striker from these stats 😂

received_841249889672910.png

From the stats he's class but those physicals will deter your chances, honestly best layed out to be a poacher. 

Riverplate have smashing players with youth, so you'll have a baller of a time working there if you wanna go youth development way. 

4 hours ago, BigV said:

From the stats he's class but those physicals will deter your chances, honestly best layed out to be a poacher. 

Riverplate have smashing players with youth, so you'll have a baller of a time working there if you wanna go youth development way. 

Well, he is my backup striker but waa surprised to see someone with these attributes but never heard of him.

There a lot of youth players with great potential, so this will be a good save.

One cap, two goals...

Wonder why he never got another.