I have got fm 20 I play 4-4-2 formation I play with 2 forwards and after 20 games both players only score 8 goals 

I have 20 shots 10 on target and score 0 goals the other team have 2 shots and score 1 goal why is it miles the forwards go missing when you play Bamford and t Roberts I have the Monaco under 19 player who is Italian 

and another good forward as extra 

in your next update can you look at this problem it is hard work for a season when there is no consistency 

thanks Ian 

Hate to bring up the old cliche but its your tactics. I currently play a simple 4-4-2 system. My 2 strikers so far are performing well

Striker 1-  Played 20 Scored 20 AVG Rating 7.73
Striker 2-  Played 20 Scored 12  AVG Rating 7.51

I mean this is just one example. But I have been in your situation before MANY times. Changing tactics constantly to try and fix it also isnt the solution. Just got to keep chipping away make sure tactic familiarity is right up there and work around with a 2nd and 3rd tactic until you find the solution. Seen many people have success with Leeds in the game.
 Im also not sure how far you are into the season but this is real life stats after 34 games......lot of players with relatively low numbers to what people expect from football manager saves. A 20/30 goal a season striker just isnt that common in the real world.                                                                                    

GAMES PLAYED           GOALS

1 1073448.jpg6944.pngAleksandar Mitrovic Fulham 31                                 22
2 default_medium.png2208.pngOllie Watkins Brentford 34 21
3 default_medium.png2208.pngJarrod Bowen Hull City 29 16
- 606354.jpg2208.pngLewis Grabban Nottingham Forest 33 16
5 716620.jpg9606.pngNahki Wells Bristol City 5 14
6 1210200.jpg2208.pngCauley Woodrow Barnsley 28 13
- default_medium.png2208.pngKarlan Grant Huddersfield Town 31 13
- 686582.jpg2214.pngLukas Jutkiewicz Birmingham City 34 13
9 551305.jpg2245.pngSteven Fletcher Sheffield Wednesday 23 12
- default_medium.png2202.pngBryan Mbeumo Brentford 31 12
- 970634.jpg2208.pngPatrick Bamford Leeds United 33 12
Edited by WilsonJuve
more info

Similar here - I'm playing a 4-2-3-1 with Dortmund (from before the Winter Transfer update, I bought Haaland before BVB did IRL), and in the first 11 games in the league in my current season, Haaland has scored 8 times, and 11 times overall by the November international break while rotating with Alcacer, and is my highest scorer in the team.

Yeah people just get crazy numbers in there head when they play Football Manager like everyone they sign should score every game or almost every game. Dont get me wrong X player in real life maybe is having a crazy season or he has scored 20+ for the last 5 or so years. These are unique cases. I mean the stats in La Liga further cement my point.  This table below is after 25 league games this season.

Here is the scorers......

La Liga

18 Lionel Messi (Barcelona)

Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)

11 Luis Suárez (Barcelona)

10 Roger Martí (Levante)
10 Ángel Rodríguez (Getafe)
10 Gerard Moreno (Villarreal)

9 Maxi Gómez (Valencia)
9 Chimy Avila (Osasuna)
9 Ante Budimir (Real Mallorca)
9 Joselu (Alavés)
9 Lucas Pérez (Alavés)
9 Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo)

8 Santi Cazorla (Villarreal)
8 Antoine Griezmann (Barcelona)
8 Joaquín (Real Betis)
8 Loren (Real Betis)
8 Willian José (Real Sociedad)
8 Jaime Mata (Getafe)

1 hour ago, leeds united said:

I have got fm 20 I play 4-4-2 formation I play with 2 forwards and after 20 games both players only score 8 goals 

I have 20 shots 10 on target and score 0 goals the other team have 2 shots and score 1 goal why is it miles the forwards go missing when you play Bamford and t Roberts I have the Monaco under 19 player who is Italian 

and another good forward as extra 

in your next update can you look at this problem it is hard work for a season when there is no consistency 

thanks Ian 

8 goals each after 20 games isn't even that bad a scoring record... They talk about teams being safe from relegation if they have a striker who can score 20 goals because that's basically a goal every other game. 8 from 20 is only a couple below that ratio of one every 2 games.

You then have to consider that by playing a 2 striker system - which is a bit outdated in the modern game - you have two players both playing in essentially the same positions, centrally, competing for the ball there. On one hand this might result in you fashioning better opportunities for whoever gets the ball, as another defender will be preoccupied with his partner, but at the same time you're basically dividing the goals you'd get centrally between the two of them.

In terms of your failing to score with loads of shots then your opponents scoring when they only have a couple; If you're having far more shots, I assume you'll be dominating the game? If you're dominating the game and you're controlling the play that means that the majority of play will be taking place in your opponents half, which will allow them to sit deep and be organised, which will make it more difficult for you to fashion good opportunities to score. On the other hand when they get the ball they're able to counter attack quickly, while you still have players pushed up the pitch, meaning that the circumstances are more ideal for their attack, meaning they'll be able to get in better position to take shots, meaning that the chances of them scoring from any given shot will be higher.

Another thing to bear in mind when you're looking at this is that you're comparing the strike rate of your forwards to the strike rate of opposition forwards who are playing against your goalie. So what's your goalie like? What's his stat for concentration? Is this someone who's getting complacent with the majority of the play happening at the other end of the pitch and isn't switched on properly when the opposition are attacking? Then, of course, there's the question of your defence, in particular are your centre backs fast enough to keep up with opposition forwards when they break? Or - if a high line and opposition players getting behind isn't an issue - are you perhaps setting your line too low, resulting in there being plenty of space between your midfield and defence for the opposition to operate in to pick out the best passing/shooting opportunity?

Both Roberts and Bamford only have 13 finishing and 12/11 composure, respectively. While these aren't necessarily awful stats they're also not really good ones where you'd expect the player in question to be able to reliably make the most of every opportunity. What are their personalities like? Do the reports suggest that they are consistent and/or enjoy playing in big games?

1 hour ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Similar here - I'm playing a 4-2-3-1 with Dortmund (from before the Winter Transfer update, I bought Haaland before BVB did IRL), and in the first 11 games in the league in my current season, Haaland has scored 8 times, and 11 times overall by the November international break while rotating with Alcacer, and is my highest scorer in the team.

What role does he play?

1 hour ago, WilsonJuve said:

Here is the scorers......

La Liga

18 Lionel Messi (Barcelona)

Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)

11 Luis Suárez (Barcelona)

Both, Messi and Suárez, only played 20 respectively 17 games. Their projected goal tally would be much higher if they weren't / aren't injured. It's a well-known fact that Top 5 League teams score, on average, 10 to 25 per cent goals less than their real life counterparts. If no one doesn't believe that — start 100 test saves, check the final end of the season tables of the Top 5 League and count the goals, then compare with the real life numbers of the last five years, then come back and show us your results. ;)

Messi has been underpowered in FM for years anyway.

With this in mind, just treat any striker as if he scored 20 % more than he actually did in order to make you feel less stressed until goalscoring data gets more realistic in FM.

Weird, I've found the opposite so far. For PSG Icardi had 57 goals in 57 games first season for me then 30 goals in 27. At Ajax Tadic scored 21 in 25 for me, then sold him and his replacement (Halaand, first season) scored 17 in 22. 

Also as a fellow Leeds fan, expecting Bamford to stick the ball in the back of the net might be your problem.

Goals are in abundance for me, but I'm rather advanced with a save so regens are somewhat the usual overpowered sort. Currently have one of my two strikers sitting on 53 in 53 having 31 in 31 PL games with 7 to go. I've played a flat 442 for the past 4/5 seasons and the same striker has been hitting, 22, 34, 19, 26 in the past 3 seasons.

Edited by Daz2205
  • 4 weeks later...