I Need Advice

I am currently managing King’s Lynn in FM20.  I have won promotion every year until I got into the championship.  I am currently in my fourth season in the championship, and I am favorites to win the league.  I averaged around 2.5 points per game for the first 10-15 games of the season, and I was top of the league, 7 points clear of 3rd place.  All of a sudden, I hit a terrible run of form without changing anything.  Do I change away from my proven tactic?  The tactic is similar to the one below, but I have changed to control and positive instead of gegenpress and attack. I also changed the BBM to a DLP and the RGA to a DLP.

image.png

This tactic really seems to be extremely attacking. It's likely that your rising reputation has caused the other teams in your league to play a more cautious-counter-attack heavy style when facing your team.

Try to use different and less aggressive roles on the wings and use one or two normal CDs at the back. Especially if your goalkeeper's build-up quality is good enough there's no need for two ball-playing defenders.

Edited by FMSD0

2 minutes ago, gonefading said:

This tactic really seems to be extremely attacking. It's likely that your rising reputation has caused the other teams in your league to play a more cautious-counter-attack heavy style when facing your team.

Try to use different and less aggressive roles on the wings and use one or two normal CDs at the back. Especially if your goalkeeper's build-up quality is good enough there's no need for two ball-playing defenders.

Should I change 1 of the BPD to a CD on defend?  My keeper is naturally a SK on attack rather than support so should I change to that?  And my IFs are all naturals in that position.  Is it worth switching?

10 minutes ago, Gbrexiton said:

Should I change 1 of the BPD to a CD on defend?  My keeper is naturally a SK on attack rather than support so should I change to that?  And my IFs are all naturals in that position.  Is it worth switching?

That's worth a try, maybe even try two CD-des.

A SK-at is really aggressive and needs great ball-playing and game-reading abilities in order to take full advantage of his qualities.

Most of the time it depends on your opponent if there's a need for one or two IFs. Maybe use one of them on support and the other one on attack for more variety (if you do this consider changing the mentalities of your full-backs in order to keep the mentalies balanced, especially if your opponent is considered to be stronger than your team). If your opponent tends to use inverted wing-backs it might be better to use another roles instead of IF or IW since they could get neutralised more easily.

Edited by FMSD0

53 minutes ago, gonefading said:

That's worth a try, maybe even try two CD-des.

A SK-at is really aggressive and needs great ball-playing and game-reading abilities in order to take full advantage of his qualities.

Most of the time it depends on your opponent if there's a need for one or two IFs. Maybe use one of them on support and the other one on attack for more variety (if you do this consider changing the mentalities of your full-backs in order to keep the mentalies balanced, especially if your opponent is considered to be stronger than your team). If your opponent tends to use inverted wing-backs it might be better to use another roles instead of IF or IW since they could get neutralised more easily.

What should I change the CWBs to?

9 minutes ago, Gbrexiton said:

What should I change the CWBs to?

A WB-su would be a good choice to pair with an IF-at on the same side (and vice versa a WB-at in combination with an IF-su). This will give you more overlaps in comparison with the aggressive free-roaming CWB. Another more cautious options would be a normal FB-su or a FB-at in combination with an IF-su.

Edited by FMSD0

4 hours ago, gonefading said:

A WB-su would be a good choice to pair with an IF-at on the same side (and vice versa a WB-at in combination with an IF-su). This will give you more overlaps in comparison with the aggressive free-roaming CWB. Another more cautious options would be a normal FB-su or a FB-at in combination with an IF-su.

I’ll test it and see what happens

The changes did help, but I hope it doesn’t go sour again.  I’m thinking that if I do go up, I should change my formation.  I don’t think a super attacking formation will work in the Prem.  Do you agree?  What sort of tactic should I change to?

Edited by Gbrexiton

5 hours ago, Gbrexiton said:

The changes did help, but I hope it doesn’t go sour again.  I’m thinking that if I do go up, I should change my formation.  I don’t think a super attacking formation will work in the Prem.  Do you agree?  What sort of tactic should I change to?

Sounds good! I would probably use the same approach for the first five games because there's a chance that much stronger teams might underestimate yours. In case your team doesn't steal enough points, you might consider lowering your line of engagement and defensive line by a notch and using default passing directness in terms of Team Instructions.