Sports Interactive Community

Hi

I have one of the best sides in my league at positioning, marking, heading, jumping reach, height etc

Yet I am constantly conceding from set pieces. As a guess maybe 75% of the goals I concede are from set pieces.

I've tried leaving everything default, which didn't work - I usually just leave set pieces on default and it's fine, this is the first FM I've had huge issues with defending set pieces.

Right now I've gone in and manually set every player to be in a certain position - mostly man marking but specifically the tallest centre backs marking the tall opposition etc.

Yet I still concede...!

Is there any general guidance on how to set up for defending this? Surely every opponent isn't managed by Tony Pulis...

There are a number of working set ups for defending corners. 

My go-to, is to use the zonal positions with my 'best' headers/biggest players. Maybe one to specifically mark their aerial threat if there is one. Then one pacey player on the edge of the box, and one pacey player stying forward to hit them on the break.

I do however, simply accept the fact  I will concede a few from corners, but I don't think I am unusually high in that respect, I do think I probably score more than most from a defended corner.

Defending free kicks and throw-ins I leave to the defaults to be honest, again,  I don't seem to concede more from them than others, but not to say they can't improve.

It's hard to know how serious the problem is, "75% of all I concede" does seem very high, but if you don't concede many over a season, it might not be much. I would look more at the ratio of free kicks:goals, corners:goals etc. Your answer might be to reduce the number of fouls around the box. 

Stats like this need plenty of time to become meaningful, more than a handful of games or at least half a season so  I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions too soon.

Edited by Snorks

Totally agree with @Snorks

FM20 AI is crazilly good at set pieces attack. Almost every time I used man-mark in corner-kick defence, I conceded a goal.

So now I place 2 short men guarding near & far posts, 1 pacey  on the edge of the box defending AI long short, 1 pacey staying forward ,  all other players "GB/going back" in the box.

From my experience it's also VERY important to TRAIN set pieces before the game.

Thanks for all the suggestions

I took a look at the league stats and 25 of 40 goals conceded have been from set pieces this season. This is lower than it could be because I've quit out in anger after conceding 3 set pieces in a single game(!), but to me still seems very high.

I give away quite a few free kicks, but with the defensive strengths of my team I would still expect to be able to defend them far far far more convincingly than I do. There are teams in real life that give away free kicks and corners KNOWING that they're very good at defending them. Surely this can be achieved in game, and it isn't just a case of X% of free kicks will go in, so concede fewer free kicks...?

I will try out what's been suggested so far, specifically changing the best headers to zonal rather than having man marking.

As a quick other question - to player instructions affect this? Two of my players have "mark tighter" on for normal play, not sure if this is having a negative impact from set pieces maybe?

Edited by Melliatopia

It's worth noting by the way that defensive positioning for set pieces was reworked and improved in the patch released yesterday sou you should have that in mind too

Do an internet search for Keysi Rensie who is my go to source for information about set pieces in FM.

Corners specifically I do the following:

• 5 x players across the 6 yard box (back 4 plus tall midfielder)
  • 3 x "go back" - basically zonal again in the area
  • 1 x edge of area - a good dribbler and/or passer
  • 1 x pacy attacker 

I don't put people on the posts.

Like above, my default is 2 fast players on edge of box and staying forward for counter. 

Defensively, I have full backs on post (unless they are tall, in which case I swap with a small cm or someone with poor marking) 

3 tall players set to near centre and far marking zonally and the others set on 'go back' although if one or more of them have good defending stats I will have them man mark

I forgot to mention in my earlier posts, but like others have said, I don;t put anyone on the posts either, i prefer the bodies in the box and  I have never seen a goal prevented in FM by having someone on the posts.

Have conceded five goals from indirect freekick this season. 11 games played, and overall I have conceded 10 goals. 

Got fantastic players such as Ruben Dias, Matthijs De Ligt and Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, so should not be a problem to defend in the air. 

What to do at indirect freekicks?

These are my stats for Bologna, first season, after 31 games. 

• Free kick crosses:            scored 3 : conceded 7
  • From corners:                  scored 3 : conceded 2

I thought I should improve defending FKs, but I can understand from the above it is not bad at all. 

For corners, I have set up my own routine and having conceding only 2, I presume this works fine. I do have tall defenders - both DCs, but my DL is also 192cm and good in heading/jumping. 

• I put defender with high heading and jumping reach on the near 6m zonal marking
  • wingback or DMC with good heading in the 6m center, zonal
  • one of the wingbacks with better heading goes to far 6m, zonal
  • I don't put people on posts, haven't seen a situation where this can help
  • Second DC is man-marking tall player, second wing-back man-marking
  • One winger edge of the box, striker up-front and all the rest "go back"

FKs I have left on default, but am trying to improve now. I will try with putting two players on 6m same as with corners, as I have gone through all the goals conceded and have noticed that most they scored, they scored from wide FKs. Maybe you can do that? It did not take me more then an hour to go through all the goals in 31 games and right down how they were scored?

one thing i try to do whenever i takeover a new team and have to set up set piece tactics all over again is to watch most of the set pieces for the first few matches just to see if everything is working according to plan. u can access them in the post match analysis.

This set price fiasco is turning my hair Barack Obama grey, can’t handle it lol