Football Manager 2020 January & February Transfer Updates Feedback Thread

26 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I've read it again, and yes, you are certainly suggesting they should resign for the betterment of the series. 

Just so we don't get into a slagging match for which I would win 6-0 :onmehead:what I am referring to is to step aside , and that means you would still have an interest in the game but not full control and this would hopefully generate new ideas and new ways to move forward . So new leaders with  new ideas , More staff with new ideas . Did not say sack them all or resign ? … That is not a put down at all .  And again I emphasise  that they have done a great job to get it where it is today but there will come a time where people need to retire for the good of the team just like a Football Team ? I mean its all subjective and probably wont happen so its just my thoughts .

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Just so we don't get into a slagging match for which I would win 6-0 :onmehead:what I am referring to is to step aside , and that means you would still have an interest in the game but not full control and this would hopefully generate new ideas and new ways to move forward . So new leaders with  new ideas , More staff with new ideas . Did not say sack them all or resign ? … That is not a put down at all .  And again I emphasise  that they have done a great job to get it where it is today but there will come a time where people need to retire for the good of the team just like a Football Team ? I mean its all subjective and probably wont happen so its just my thoughts .

You're suggesting they step aside, what do you think that means? What would they do otherwise? Of course you're suggesting they resign, you don't have to say it, you alluded to it in your original post. I'm not alone in thinking that's what you meant, @Bry did also. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Currently playing Tiki-Taka-style football in my save. 8 goals, one long shot, no set pieces. I actually suspect an increase in combination quality, because some of the one-touch plays from my team looked really stunning. Also actually decent central play.

I can understand criticism regarding the systems surrounding the match engine, but the match engine itself seems to me to gradually improve with each game and each update. I feel that this years version favours central play much more than last years, and the years before that, where heavy wing play was a guarantuee to success.

Of course my perspective is limited, but the state of the game is certainly not as one-sided as some here make it out to be

vor 8 Stunden schrieb craigcwwe:

What I thought. 

Having gone back and forth with FM17/18/19/20 in recent weeks seeing how each performs from a ME perspective having played them all quite a bit over the years it's clearly easier from an attacking point of view in FM17 and 18 in comparison to FM19 and 20, coincidentally when the new defensive options came about so that makes sense. 

I think ultimately we've had to 'suffer' in a sense with the ME the last two versions whilst the defensive part of the game caught up, even overtaken the attacking play. Hopefully the attacking play will also get the required time and attention to bring that up to speed to balance it out nicely in future versions. 

Fingers crossed. 

Yes but I find it kind of strange that such an me is put out in two games for people buy them. 

Basically the offensive side of the game can't keep up  but to keep goal numbers realistic the number of set piece goals and random goals goes up. 

Thats very unrealistic and makes me question Sis decision to include the defensive instructions in the game which produce this kind of game play. 

So you are saying I wasted 80€ on two possible 3 fm versions which have a feature which breaks the me so si can get it right eventually?

they had to include the new feature just to have something new even if it breaks a big part of the me ?

vor einer Stunde schrieb Nikopol:

Currently playing Tiki-Taka-style football in my save. 8 goals, one long shot, no set pieces. I actually suspect an increase in combination quality, because some of the one-touch plays from my team looked really stunning. Also actually decent central play.

I can understand criticism regarding the systems surrounding the match engine, but the match engine itself seems to me to gradually improve with each game and each update. I feel that this years version favours central play much more than last years, and the years before that, where heavy wing play was a guarantuee to success.

Of course my perspective is limited, but the state of the game is certainly not as one-sided as some here make it out to be

Please post your tactics and PKMs how you scored the goals. 

There are always some people who claim such a thing but never back it up 

1 hour ago, thejay said:

And even if it is so - could very well be - just for inspiration to others, please @Nikopol post your setup. :)

2 hours ago, thejay said:

I'm seeing all sorts of goals too, little through balls slipped in etc. Certainly not many set piece goals.

That's not to say I've been disillusioned using different tactics

Interestingly in the about 10 games I played after the last patch I saw NO goals from set pieces, apart from one that was scored after a bit of "scrambling" in the area. I was actually under the impression that the last patch made set piece defense a bit too good... :D

15 dakika önce, FlorianAlbert9 said:

There is an issue with the type of goals in analysis.

I scored 5 goals in the last 2 league matches: 4 header.  but the analysis say 2 placed shot, 1 powerful shot and 2 header. 

So go further to see if the problem remains.

Same issue. Stats counts some header goals as a placed shot

Just now, Jimmious7 said:

Interestingly in the about 10 games I played after the last patch I saw NO goals from set pieces, apart from one that was scored after a bit of "scrambling" in the area. I was actually under the impression that the last patch made set piece defense a bit too good... :D

What do you think about headed goals? Seems too high compared to real life. I dont mean goal analysis page, it does not work properly. I asked your observation

On 23/02/2020 at 09:21, Quadrophenia88 said:

https://gyazo.com/ab6b876f0cde629475c63afcb5f2930a

The above sums FM20's match engine up this year in a nutshell. That game finished 2-1 in my favor, both my goals coming from set plays, despite missing three 1v1s (all CCC) and dominating the game possession wise and in terms of chances. The AI on the other hand are presented with one highlight. one clear cut chance and one goal. I'm not complaining, I'm used to it at this point but when I have my side playing hungry possession football and the short passing game, it's quite annoying that the majority of my goals come from set pieces and headers. This is across multiple saves, different formation and style set ups. In one game, I played a side over two legs and had 52 shots, 30 on target across both of them, scored 2 goals and both were headers.  At the end of the day, I'm still winning games and having successful saves so it doesn't stop me having success but it does take away some enjoyment from the game itself, especially watching the matches.

Anyways, this is the last time I'll post feed back on this years edition as I feel like I'm repeating myself at this point and I would be incredibly surprised if there was any other patches (not like that guarantees anything anyway). It's a good game but in my opinion the worst ME for years, FM 18 & FM 19 are poorer games but have a better ME in my opinion.

This is an opinion based on months of game play since the game has came out and with multiple saves so I've gave the game enough time to change my mind. Due to this, I will certainly be holding off on the pre-ordering FM21 until we know the state of the ME.

(Again this is just my opinion based on my experience of the game since release)

P.S Thought I would provide another example - https://gyazo.com/f95cc0096b343dcd5424154614adc3f9

In the link above, this game finished 1-0 and the goal? You guessed it. Header from a corner.

Last example, I promise but this one was too good not to share.

https://gyazo.com/43dba2ec7aade8934e92ca1b5b3ef830

https://gyazo.com/38cd6b0295e7cf9b2d9f85c6e9faaf14

Backs up my points perfectly.

I am living the above. It's almost word perfect

7 minutes ago, akinozcan said:

What do you think about headed goals? Seems too high compared to real life. I dont mean goal analysis page, it does not work properly. I asked your observation

That's absolutely true. Way too many headed goals

22 minutes ago, akinozcan said:

Same issue. Stats counts some header goals as a placed shot

I would expect the stats to come straight from the ME data, so if you saw a header for a placed shot in the game visualisation, it may be that a wrong animation is getting triggered.

12 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Whilst we very much appreciate every member of the community who takes the time to raise an issue and in nearly all cases our QA team will respond and log said issue, we can't guarantee every issue will be fixed. Our development team only has limited resources, be that personnel and time and every single issue logged within our bugs database has to be prioritised based on a number of factors. 

Something logged by you may well be extremely important in your opinion (especially so if it directly affects a way you play the game) but when viewed from an analytical perspective may well be in specific action which is done extremely rarely on a less frequently visited screen of the game. For that reason it'll be given a lower priority and there's a chance there may not be the time to address it. It may also be that an issue you raised we can't reproduce at our end, so we wouldn't be able to provide a simple fix. Or that in fact something is working by design even if to the way you play, you feel it's a bug. It may even be that in some cases, the functionality you assume should be there isn't catered for at all and would require an entire new feature to be added just to support it.  

Whilst I understand your frustration, just having a quick look at some of the threads you've posted there are some which absolutely have been fixed in updates since then. 'Newgen staff OP', 'Set Piece Instructions being ignored' and 'Getting notified about player on shortlist being transfer listed' were all threads created by you which have been fixed by the development team, so we very much appreciate you taking the time to raise them. 

Any news about the match engine being darker than usual? 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, DamienQilBormliz said:

Any news about the match engine being darker than usual? 

There's a thread about it here asking for examples - https://community.sigames.com/topic/514660-dark-colors/

Would say if it's affecting you provide the info as requested and we can investigate. Thanks. 

So I just checked my last five games (small sample size but I'm not going to sit watching FM goals I've already scored) and yeah the goals analysis is broken.

My assists were recorded correctly over the five games as four cross, four through ball, one set piece and one short pass. However, over the five games my team scored five headed goals but it was only recorded as two. These were aerial balls that were finished with the head, so why is the game recording them as a placed or powerful shot? It makes no sense that the game would be doing that. I even took the time to read the match reports and all five goals specifically say they were scored via header so it's not just a visual thing, the game knows full well that they are headers but is telling me otherwise in analysis.

16 minuti fa, rp1966 ha scritto:

I would expect the stats to come straight from the ME data, so if you saw a header for a placed shot in the game visualisation, it may be that a wrong animation is getting triggered.

Maybe. 

But, in my game, in the match report you get in news inbox, it say what you see in the visualization (4 header) so we have: 

3d game shows header

inbox news says header

analysis type goal say place shot.

6 minutes ago, FlorianAlbert9 said:

Maybe. 

But, in my game, in the match report you get in news inbox, it say what you see in the visualization (4 header) so we have: 

3d game shows header

inbox news says header

Yeah even the match report showing header.

To be completely honest this just looks like SI fudging the figures which if it is would be very disappointing. If anyone has an alternative explanation then I'd love to hear it.

8 minutes ago, drizzlynewt said:

Did you really just tell a paying customer that there are so many issues with the game you've already released and sold at full price as a completed product that you can't guarantee they'll all be fixed citing a lack of time and personnel?

FM is only a completed product after the last patch. Some things get fixed. Others don’t. Be realistic.

11 minutes ago, FlorianAlbert9 said:

Maybe. 

3d game shows header

inbox news says header

That makes it sound more like a bug in the analysis screen then. Either way it sounds as if the same information is being interpreted differently in different parts of the game.

Edited by rp1966

3 minutes ago, likesiamesefish said:

Yeah even the match report showing header.

To be completely honest this just looks like SI fudging the figures which if it is would be very disappointing. If anyone has an alternative explanation then I'd love to hear it.

A bug?

Just now, Tyburn said:

FM is only a completed product after the last patch. Some things get fixed. Others don’t. Be realistic.

What on earth are you talking about? It's been released and sold at full price. There's nothing saying it's early access, the product description doesn't highlight "Oh, this might be full of bugs, but we'll sort most of the big ones out by the last patch, although some we'll never get round to."

6 hours ago, Nikopol said:

I've found moving the ball quicker certainly helps to bypass improved defences, places a bigger importance of passing lanes and options, which plays into my hands a little as 4-3-3 has long been a favoured formation of mine

6 hours ago, thejay said:

Yes but I find it kind of strange that such an me is put out in two games for people buy them. 

Basically the offensive side of the game can't keep up  but to keep goal numbers realistic the number of set piece goals and random goals goes up. 

Thats very unrealistic and makes me question Sis decision to include the defensive instructions in the game which produce this kind of game play. 

So you are saying I wasted 80€ on two possible 3 fm versions which have a feature which breaks the me so si can get it right eventually?

they had to include the new feature just to have something new even if it breaks a big part of the me ?

Well I've certainly got my monies worth and enjoyment out of the last two versions of the game. 

With it being a yearly release, you have to ask did SI have the necessary resources to work sufficiently on both the attacking and defensive parts of the game? Clearly the last two games in the series have seen pretty big changes/improvements to the defensive part of the game, perhaps SI plan on diverting their attention to the attacking side the next two versions of the game to balance it out? 

The ME is not 'broken' There's been feedback in this thread and the other thread/s showing attacking central play and there's numerous content creators you can watch and see their gameplay to also see the central play in the final third. Is it FM17-18 levels? No but as I say, maybe they are working on improving the last third over the next couple of games? 

Edited by craigcwwe

3 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

What are you hoping to achieve with this? 

It worked out of the box. Did for me anyway. I loaded it up. I picked a team. I started to manage my team. 

I noticed I was missing loads of 1v1’s. I tweaked my tactic. I seemed to be conceding lots of set pieces. I tweaked my tactic.

Nothing stopped me playing the game. There were no game breaking bugs.

After the last patch the ME is noticeably darker for me. Doesn’t stop me playing the game. The attribute drop down has vanished in staff search, but I can access it from the title bar. Doesn’t stop me playing the game.

Some bugs will get fixed. Others won’t. I can still play the game. It works. It is not broken.

SI released a working game. It still works. It’ll work after any patches. They choose to update it, to patch it, to make it the best it can be. They do not have to. You are not entitled to this.

Be realistic.

Exactly. I don't know how many people SI have working on the game but some people seem to think Rockstar, with all their resources, money and manpower are the developers or something. Totally unrealistic. 

Edited by craigcwwe

31 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I've found moving the ball quicker certainly helps to bypass improved defences, places a bigger importance of passing lanes and options, which plays into my hands a little as 4-3-3 has long been a favoured formation of mine

I can vouch for that, uping the tempo massively changes the way you play in terms of speed of the game (as it should) and as adaptive dependant on your familiarity bar result. Possession stats usually lower when high tempo by either losing the ball and/or amount of time on the ball so is it possible that possession stat isn't based on passing? 

On another note why is that? if im correct that it. Surely it's a missleading stat to those that don't know it (me and countless others) but also game wise when analysing the point you need more possession to get the better chances (lets say below 40% possession). 

I have a lot of patience with SI, particularly when it comes to the ME and anything new in the game, but they do sell £30m worth of Football Manager every year, it's hardly two brothers in their garage anymore.

Stuff like B teams in Spain being broken and not being able to disable the first transfer window are pretty glaring errors. Since they introduced the beta period for early buyers, it feels like testing has taken a nose dive and there are more basic errors within the game that don't even come from new features.

An example of this in FM20 is that when I go to the schedule page, it has reverted to highlighting my first fixture of the season rather than the next one. This has been an issue since release and still not fixed. This is a small thing but would be found almost instantly by any testing team with experience of the game. I also don't think this testing has anything to do with the size of SI, it's just attention to detail, and remember we got this patch earlier than expected which was their decision.

6 minutes ago, BigV said:

I can vouch for that, uping the tempo massively changes the way you play in terms of speed of the game (as it should) and as adaptive dependant on your familiarity bar result. Possession stats usually lower when high tempo by either losing the ball and/or amount of time on the ball so is it possible that possession stat isn't based on passing? 

On another note why is that? if im correct that it. Surely it's a missleading stat to those that don't know it (me and countless others) but also game wise when analysing the point you need more possession to get the better chances (lets say below 40% possession). 

Yeah I'm curious has to how possession is calculated in FM, one for @Jack Joyce if he's around

27 minutes ago, BigV said:

@themadsheep2001  and @BigV

I asked the same question a while ago which got answered 

I believe that's a bit odd as we want posession calculated like real life

1 minute ago, Tyburn said:

What are you hoping to achieve with this? 

It worked out of the box. Did for me anyway. I loaded it up. I picked a team. I started to manage my team. 

I noticed I was missing loads of 1v1’s. I tweaked my tactic. I seemed to be conceding lots of set pieces. I tweaked my tactic.

Nothing stopped me playing the game. There were no game breaking bugs.

After the last patch the ME is noticeably darker for me. Doesn’t stop me playing the game. The attribute drop down has vanished in staff search, but I can access it from the title bar. Doesn’t stop me playing the game.

Some bugs will get fixed. Others won’t. I can still play the game. It works. It is not broken.

SI released a working game. It still works. It’ll work after any patches. They choose to update it, to patch it, to make it the best it can be. They do not have to. You are not entitled to this.

Be realistic.

Actually having all advertised features included and in full working order is *exactly* what you're entitled to when you buy something and providing those things after having taken receipt of payment *is* something that a product provider *has* to do.

But look, I'm really not interested in going back and forth about this and debating the merits. If you think I'm wrong that's absolutely fine with me... I'm not saying this to be unkind but your opinion on the matter is of no interest to me whatsoever, I have no idea why anything I'm saying about it is of any interest to you and I'm not interested in trying to convince you I'm right. 

14 minutes ago, ferrarinseb said:

@themadsheep2001  and @BigV

I asked the same question a while ago which got answered 

I believe that's a bit odd as we want posession calculated like real life

Yeah, I agree if thats the case it needs changing. Ultimately I feel FM should get its stats definitions as close to Opta as possible, as when you think about it, its what everyone who plays it is used to

7 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Yeah, I agree if thats the case it needs changing. Ultimately I feel FM should get its stats definitions as close to Opta as possible, as when you think about it, its what everyone who plays it is used to

Yes. I don't know why FM doesn't follow that route as of yet.  

vor 1 Stunde schrieb themadsheep2001:

If you're actually interested in this @Rashidi has an entire YouTube channel worth of content. 

its better to stay specific , there is a specific thing which does not seem possible in this match engine, namely possession heavy passing style of play and goals scored by passing moves after being in possession .

I am well aware of general tactical principles both in terms of fm and real football but the frustration of the years me stems from the fact that goals seem to come not because how my tactics are setup but by the me increasing the chance of random goals in order to stay true to real life statistics despite several tactical styles directly from the tactics creator are not working as intended.

Now if a user claims he has a tactic which actually works as inteded and scores these type of goals as intended , I want to see it.

Its very easy to post a quick rundown of the instructions here or in the tactic forum and link it or post pkms

But because it is so easy and I have not seen anyone of those people who claim such a thing actually do it, I am very suspicious and doubtful of their claims