Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
DeathJester

How to setup Nagelsmann 3421 Tactic with RBL?

Hi guys. Haven’t seen any threads on RBL in the Bundesliga and Nagelsmann tactical setup of 3421 recently employed and used in the European game vs Tottenham Hotspur.  

for me ,  playing football manager , I get enjoyment trying to replicate tactics that I’ve seen IRL so would love to implement this into FM20. 

has anyone tried to replicate this ?  I or have any advice or suggestions as to how I would do it ?

My thoughts on the setup are as follows:

MENTALITY: positive 

IN POSSESSION:

play out of defence

low crosses 

work ball into box

focus play through middle 

Underlap right and underlap left 

higher tempo 

very narrow

IN TRANSITION:

Counter, Counter-press

OUT OF POSSESSION:

higher defensive line

higher line of engagement 

extremely urgent

prevent short GK distribution 

FORMATION AND PLAYER ROLES:

GK: sweeper keeper - support 

DCR: ball playing defender - defend 

DC: Libero support

DCL: ball playing defender - defend 

WBR: wing back - attack

WBL: wing back - attack 

MCR: box to box midfielder - support

MCL: central defender - defend 

AMCR: attacking midfielder - attack (stay wider)

AMCL: shadow striker - attack (stay wider)

STC: pressing forward - support

NB: to negate an excessive amount of long shots everyone apart from STC is on shoot less often instruction  

WHAT I AM LOOKING TO ACHIEVE:

To replicate the verticality of RBL whilst maintaining a good amount of possession.

To replicate the “forward back and through” approach into getting the ball forward quickly in transition.

To have multiple forward passing options available at all times.

To press high and aggressively  

So what are your thoughts on my approach ?  Any hints tips or changes you think I should employ?

Edited by DeathJester

3 hours ago, DeathJester said:

Hi guys. Haven’t seen any threads on RBL in the Bundesliga and Nagelsmann tactical setup of 3421 recently employed and used in the European game vs Tottenham Hotspur.  

for me ,  playing football manager , I get enjoyment trying to replicate tactics that I’ve seen IRL so would love to implement this into FM20. 

has anyone tried to replicate this ?  I or have any advice or suggestions as to how I would do it ?

I've seen his 4-4-2 replicated and a version of his 3-4-1-2 replicated. It is also something that I am looking at trying at the moment. 

One point of nagelsmanns tactic seems to include strong wingbacks who try to score goals or achieve many assists. His approach also focus on a direct play to opposition goal through the middle. The Defense relies not only on 3 defenders (middle one playing like a HB) but also on one defending Midfielder. In a 442 it would take a HB and a BWM (?) and in his 3322 or 3412 it means a Libero together with a DM (?) one or two central midfielders of which is one attacking and the other supporting (?) often he uses an attacking triangle with one AMC one SS and a TM or AF in the front (physical strong player) (?)

I don’t think that his teams are defending high up the pitch and they also don’t play Gegenpressing. He just adopted it as it is the RBL DNA.

Edited by HanziZoloman

The problem here is that SI haven't caught up with the trends in German football. Most teams now use a half pressing system. What that means is basically that the fullback will press aggressively ball side, and the one of the far side drops deeper and tucks in. So when defending its a 4 flat backline to take away the vertical switch that you see all the time in FM. It's impossible to replicate this in the game as far as I'm aware. So it's hard to recommend the 3-4-2-1 as used by RBL.

Maybe with a HB and defend wider? The HB is dropping back in the line while out of possession and generates a 4 backline with wide CD (?)

In terms of the 3421 used against Spurs, they seemed to use pretty much a box midfield so if going off that game I'd go with a Striker with two Attacking midfielders behind.

What I've personally been using for a 3421 is similar.

So I use:

Cf(s)

Am(s)       SS(a)

Wb(a)          Dm(s)        SV(s/a)       WB(a)

BPD(d)       CD(d)       BPD(d)

Sk(s)

They really exploited the vertical spaces in Spurs 4-4-2, so ideally looking to encourage passes forward in between that central midfield box

Edited by anderson36015

Well that’s an attacking system .. how do you set your other instructions?

Not on FM at the minute, but off the top of my head not got too many instructions.

Positive

Play out of defence

Counter

Counter press

Distribute to CB's

Other's I may add in during games situationally like pass into space, adjusting tempo and adjusting defensive line and line of engagement

Edited by anderson36015