Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
10Sammo10

Newcastle Tactic - Help creating more chances

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I would appreciated any feedback/thoughts on the below tactic I am currently using on my Newcastle save.

I've gone with a 3-4-2-1 with attacking wing backs, a sitting midfielder to keep it solid in front of the back 3. Allowing the BBM to get forward and help join attacks. The two behind the striker are where I was hoping my creativity would come from letting them focus on attacking and playing freely.

The tactic has been really solid defensively, however after a couple of decent results to begin with, I am drawing the majority of games 0-0 with very few highlights. Winning the possession battle and having a small number more shots than the opposition per game, but really not looking threatening. I thought when putting together the tactic, I might have issues defensively with the amount of players set to attack duty, but it is the opposite.

I'm not great with tactics, but feel this could have some promise with it being effective defensively and suiting the players I have (want to fit Olmo and Verschaaren into the same side and adding some depth to the CAM role) so I was just hoping anyone could see anything glaringly obvious wrong with it that might be affecting the amount of chances being created.

Newcastle.thumb.jpg.4aedd5fa97364f8502528652f5c5b018.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first thing I see is a team that is very slow(in tempo), narrow, and very high. Makes sense if you want a stranglehold on the ball. Very bad if you want to score goals. Because you're very static, and you're trying to walk the ball through the most heavily marked area of the pitch. So what I'd recommend is turning your mentality up to positive. increasing your tempo to standard and seeing if that helps first of all. I'd also look at Olmo and rethink the Trequartista role. Because that role requires space for him to move around in, and you're tactic doesn't do this. I'd probably swap him to a SS to see if we can get some better thrust into the box to give your CWBs another runner to find. Because it would seem that you're just way too static and the ball dies in front of the opposition box right now. Either use your CWBs to stretch out the opposition, or give the middle more space to operate in.

Edited by targetthyself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, targetthyself said:

The first thing I see is a team that is very slow(in tempo), narrow, and very high. Makes sense if you want a stranglehold on the ball. Very bad if you want to score goals. Because you're very static, and you're trying to walk the ball through the most heavily marked area of the pitch. So what I'd recommend is turning your mentality up to positive. increasing your tempo to standard and seeing if that helps first of all. I'd also look at Olmo and rethink the Trequartista role. Because that role requires space for him to move around in, and you're tactic doesn't do this. I'd probably swap him to a SS to see if we can get some better thrust into the box to give your CWBs another runner to find. Because it would seem that you're just way too static and the ball dies in front of the opposition box right now. Either use your CWBs to stretch out the opposition, or give the middle more space to operate in.

Thanks for this @targetthyself. Appreciate your time to give your thoughts and to go into so much depth explaining. Really helpful and useful information. Will give these suggestions a go and let you know how it goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 10Sammo10 said:

Thanks for this @targetthyself. Appreciate your time to give your thoughts and to go into so much depth explaining. Really helpful and useful information. Will give these suggestions a go and let you know how it goes. 

NP, the main thing I'd tell you to do is fire up your replays and watch what's happening. If I had to guess, you work the ball nicely with neat triangles until you get into the final third and your players try and pass it around, occasionally Olmo will run into the channel wide and break your magic box and then your AM gets left on an island because the the AF is looking to attack space behind the defense that isn't there and is offsides. So he gets swarmed and tackled. Swapping your Striker to a Poacher might help as well to let him probe around for space without looking to burst into space that isn't there. You need to balance space creation with maintaining your box. 

Edited by targetthyself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 10Sammo10 said:

Newcastle.thumb.jpg.4aedd5fa97364f8502528652f5c5b018.jpg

The first issue is - all your front 3 players are on attack duties, which not only makes them isolated from the midfield (which may not be that much of an issue in a counter-attacking tactic), but is also compounded by your needlessly aggressive manner of defending, which denies them the space up front they are supposed to attack (primarily the much higher LOE). So you need to drop the LOE first - ideally to standard, because it will both give more space to your forwards and also improve your vertical compactness when defending. 

Then you use very possession-heavy instructions - short passing, low tempo and play out of defence - and all of these under the balanced team mentality, which makes your attacks too slow, giving the opposition more than enough time to regroup and consolidate when defending. 

Not to mention how much these overly possession-oriented instructions run counter to having all the forwards on attack duties. 

Last but not least, you use very narrow width in an already narrow formation, thus further limiting your players' options in attack. 

I hope this will give you some ideas as to what and where you need to tweak to improve the tactic and make it more sensible.

Btw, you don't need overlap instructions when you play both wing-backs as CWBs on attack duty - they are already attack-minded very much, so why would you want to increase their mentality even more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i cant believe it,

 

Steve Bruce has cone to SI forums for tactical help...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your help both of you. 
 

Made some of those amendments last night for one game:

- Changed the attackers roles (Olmo SS as suggested & Eduoard P)

- Upped the tempo a little

- Changed mentality

 

Won the game 1-0. But there were much more chances and it was more Eduoard missing some big chances. Will continue to run it those evening and see how it goes and look back at my previous games to see the main differences. 
 

Will have a look at the line of engagement and width. Thinking of keeping it quite narrow, just not as extreme but adding PI’s to the wing backs to ask them to stay wider. And will look at the positions later the CAM’s take up to see about changing possibly the AM to support. 
 

On the wing backs, the description reads to me in the that it’s more an instruction for players to look for the overlap pass rather than to instruct the full backs to make the runs. Is that not how it works in game ?

 

@callamity :lol: That hurt. 

Edited by 10Sammo10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/02/2020 at 12:41, 10Sammo10 said:

On the wing backs, the description reads to me in the that it’s more an instruction for players to look for the overlap pass rather than to instruct the full backs to make the runs. Is that not how it works in game ?

I'd just suggest swapping a CWB on 1 flank from attack to support - just helps change the behaviour on each flank and create slightly different angles or types of chance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...