Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
MrGlenn1337

I'm getting so sick of this....

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, MrGlenn1337 said:

Every time I try to play more defensively I leak goals like hell....I actually get a better defensive record playing attacking football..... 

This is my experience as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MrGlenn1337 said:

Could someone please explain to me why it's impossible to play defensively on FM?

It isn't. This is patently clear from the number of people who struggle to break down defensive AI teams and post about losing after dominating a match. If the AI can do it, you can do it.

You should not conflate defensive football with having super low defensive lines, getting players behind the ball and hoping for the best. You need to have a plan for how you will defend, just like you would for setting up an attacking team. You need to know how you will shut down specific areas of the pitch, how you will force the opposition into mistakes. How you will exploit those mistakes in order to create chances for your own team. You cannot neglect how you will pose a consistent attacking threat either. If you stick players behind the ball and lump it forward without any plan then yes, you will lose most games. If you are inviting pressure but have not properly worked out how you contain that pressure, you will lose games.

If you would like advice on that, start a thread on the tactics forums and post your idea of defensive football, and ask for people to help you improve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I look at my in game manager profile I’m known for playing defensive football. Apparently.

I don’t play defensive football. I play cautious, counter football.

Doesn’t the saying go ... “the best form of defence is to attack”?

Edited by sidslayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my current season I've conceded 14 goals in 23 games and have 15 clean sheets, both of which are best in the league. Granted my way of doing it is by dominating possession (averaging 61% so far this season) but tiki-taka was always a defensive form of football anyway - Spain won a World Cup while winning every knockout game 1-0, it doesn't get much more defensive than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've struggled since getting the game at keeping goals out, but i'm having some luck at the moment playing a 4-4-1-1 with a slightly deeper defensive line. My two centre backs have been my most consistent players all season, and the team often gets back well as a unit. 

I don't have any other off the ball instructions set other than slightly deeper line. If I'm under pressure i'll sometimes defend narrower, which forces the opposition into crossing the ball which my 6"5 defender usually deals with. 

When on the ball i'm playing with shorter passing and pass into space, whilst countering on the transition. Whilst I don't ever dominate possession we've stopped losing the ball in poor areas, which was causing me to concede a lot of goals. 

I've basically tried to compete with the flaws within the ME by filling my squad with tall players (who can defend set pieces).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find that no matter how you defend you're always likely to concede from your own set pieces as it doesn't matter how many players you set to defend they always push to the half way line whence they all rush forwardto leave the striker to run on goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can nornally nullify most teams but some games I conceed a set piece or a wonder 40 yard strike which You have to accept is nothing to do with your defending. 

(By set play I mean a **** direct from a free kick, any crosses in the box can often be defended with good enough centre backs.

The issue I have is balancing keeping an attacking threat, with workmen midfielders, full backs on defend and a deeper defensive line its hard to threaten the opposition goal.

However it can be still be done, I have my two wingers and two forwards as my attacking threat.

One winger is a traditional winger on attack duty, needs exceptional pace, dribbling and crossing.

Other wide player is an Inverted Winger on attack duty, generally just look for the best all round player attacking player you can find for this role, this player like the other winger won't have any support from his full back so doesn't have to worry to much defensively.

 

Strikers I have one as an advanced forward, Pace & Accel as high as possible and a pressing forward who support whos hard working , aggressive and brave.

Also a striker in bench or to rotate whos a targetman to go route one if you have to.

 

This tactic normally enables me to shithouse my way up lower leagues and only fails somewhat in top leagues, were you draw to many games 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Hazpro said:

I find that no matter how you defend you're always likely to concede from your own set pieces as it doesn't matter how many players you set to defend they always push to the half way line whence they all rush forwardto leave the striker to run on goal.

Have you adjusted the defensive lines?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes many times. But that is only for defending' I'm not I'm attacking, 

I can't even begin to count the times I've taken a free kick/throw in or corner Only to see the oppo' to send a huge clearance whilst my defenders rush forward from about 2 or 3 yards in their own half ignoring the ball and player to leave the striker  to run one on one vs the keeper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If by defensive you mean à la Atletico Madrid's performance against Liverpool in the Champions League yesterday then yes that is entirely possible in FM. It is however high risk football (contrary to popular belief) as you are depending on being able to stifle the opposition for the whole 90 minutes and survive wave after wave of opposition attack. In order to pull it off you need the right profile of player which is entirely different to the sort of players you would want in a more adventurous style of play. 

They need to be determined, hard working, mentally strong and positionally aware. If your players lack concentration and don't put a shift in then you can easily be exposed playing this way hence why you concede goals.

On 18/02/2020 at 11:52, Hazpro said:

I find that no matter how you defend you're always likely to concede from your own set pieces as it doesn't matter how many players you set to defend they always push to the half way line whence they all rush forward to leave the striker to run on goal.

Isn't that how a lot of teams operate in real life. They line up near or on the half way line as opposition players can't be offside in their own half. Sitting deeper would concede ground to the opposition for no real purpose and potentially give them more space to run into should they recover possession.

I haven't had a similar situation occurring in my save of conceding regularly from my teams set pieces. For my corners, I leave back my two fullbacks and if needed my defend duty central midfielder. That way if the corner comes to nothing the 3 won't come charging forward as they are already near their defensive positions. Additionally, the fullbacks tend to be the quickest players in my back line so a lone striker would find it very difficult to beat them in a foot race. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pheelf said:

If by defensive you mean à la Atletico Madrid's performance against Liverpool in the Champions League yesterday then yes that is entirely possible in FM. It is however high risk football (contrary to popular belief) as you are depending on being able to stifle the opposition for the whole 90 minutes and survive wave after wave of opposition attack. In order to pull it off you need the right profile of player which is entirely different to the sort of players you would want in a more adventurous style of play. 

They need to be determined, hard working, mentally strong and positionally aware. If your players lack concentration and don't put a shift in then you can easily be exposed playing this way hence why you concede goals.

Isn't that how a lot of teams operate in real life. They line up near or on the half way line as opposition players can't be offside in their own half. Sitting deeper would concede ground to the opposition for no real purpose and potentially give them more space to run into should they recover possession.

I haven't had a similar situation occurring in my save of conceding regularly from my teams set pieces. For my corners, I leave back my two fullbacks and if needed my defend duty central midfielder. That way if the corner comes to nothing the 3 won't come charging forward as they are already near their defensive positions. Additionally, the fullbacks tend to be the quickest players in my back line so a lone striker would find it very difficult to beat them in a foot race. 

I do the exactly same, But it makes no difference, I've literally watched them do it lots of times,

 I keep my 2 w/b's (internationals) d/r (world class + captain) back to defend should be plenty you might think but no these three extremely talented players then rush forwards totally ignoring the ball, past the on-rushing forward onto the opponents half .

Determined, hard working, mentally strong and positionally aware ?.

779164919_FootballManager202019_02_202014_51_27_1.thumb.png.f62f024f5b20fc6446d88b7212a8f082.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hazpro said:

I do the exactly same, But it makes no difference, I've literally watched them do it lots of times,

 I keep my 2 w/b's (internationals) d/r (world class + captain) back to defend should be plenty you might think but no these three extremely talented players then rush forwards totally ignoring the ball, past the on-rushing forward onto the opponents half .

Determined, hard working, mentally strong and positionally aware ?.

779164919_FootballManager202019_02_202014_51_27_1.thumb.png.f62f024f5b20fc6446d88b7212a8f082.png

Good god! Look at the state of him!

There’s something jarring in your tactic. For sure. I don’t see what you’re seeing.

Care to post it up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hazpro said:

I do the exactly same, But it makes no difference, I've literally watched them do it lots of times,

 I keep my 2 w/b's (internationals) d/r (world class + captain) back to defend should be plenty you might think but no these three extremely talented players then rush forwards totally ignoring the ball, past the on-rushing forward onto the opponents half .

Determined, hard working, mentally strong and positionally aware ?.

779164919_FootballManager202019_02_202014_51_27_1.thumb.png.f62f024f5b20fc6446d88b7212a8f082.png

:eek:

That might just be the best newgen I've ever seen on FM. I assume he's a newgen at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's him tbh. As in, created himself as a 200 PA beast.

My mistake, he's real

Edited by likesiamesefish
real

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

:eek:

That might just be the best newgen I've ever seen on FM. I assume he's a newgen at least.

He started his career at Villa in 11/12 though. I’m a bit confused. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/02/2020 at 07:59, Tyburn said:

When I look at my in game manager profile I’m known for playing defensive football. Apparently.

I don’t play defensive football. I play cautious, counter football.

Doesn’t the saying go ... “the best form of defence is to attack”?

I have had this too. To the point where "Play Defensive Football" has actually been given to me as an objective!!

I only ever play Positive or Attacking!!

I am now failing that objective 😒

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Anthony Kenna said:

I have had this too. To the point where "Play Defensive Football" has actually been given to me as an objective!!

I only ever play Positive or Attacking!!

I am now failing that objective 😒

You will actually pass the objective so long as you are defensively solid. My board have let me do what I want now for ages but on my traits page it actually says I am known for attacking football but also for preferring defensive football, so they are not exclusive to each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...