Sports Interactive Community
karanhsingh

[FM20] SK Rapid Wien - Red Bull what now?

Inspired by some of the stories around here of Champions League glory with teams from the less-fancied European leagues, I have become tempted to join the brigade. However, which league and which club to play with was a big question. I was enjoying my last save in Belgium so I toyed with the idea of Anderlecht, but the finances were shocking beyond belief. It was so bad that I thought the club will either go under or get taken over fairly soon, which put me off them. 

Partizan in Serbia was tempting but I felt the domestic challenge would be too easy as they are already one of the favorites for the league title. I then looked at Ujpest in Hungary, as I love Budapest as a city, but again finally decided against it on the basis of the Hungarian league being a bigger challenge than I want to take up at this point. Similar thought process applied to Cracovia and Hajduk Split, although these are all clubs I would like to revisit further down the line. 

When I came to the Austrian league though, I knew I had found what I was looking for. Everybody knows how RB Salzburg have absolutely dominated Austrian football for the past decade or so. With their massive resources, a great playing squad and transfer strategy, coupled by their academy and affiliations, they have become very difficult for any of the other clubs to lay a hand on. As a result, they have convincingly won every Bundesliga since the 2013 season and indeed have only not won it twice since 2009. 

So taking on the might of Red Bull Salzburg seemed like a very intriguing challenge. There are 3 historic Austrian clubs that appealed to me - SK Rapid Wien, FK Austria Wien and SK Sturm Graz. I could not choose between them so I decided to holiday until Christmas and take over whichever of these clubs was faring the worst at the point. Which will bring us to the next post. 

300px-SK_Rapid_Wien_svg.png.3450ddde39ba2ead90feaa498d539b47.png

So, SK Rapid Wien is our chosen club. I was actually very happy with this, given their history, facilities and fan base. Nobody has actually won the Austrian Bundesliga more than Rapid Wien, with a whopping 32 titles, however the last one coming way back in 2008. Hopefully, we can fix that soon. 

They also have probably the most passionate fan-base in Austria, thanks to which also the highest average attendance in the league. The new 28k cap Allianz Stadium, inaugurated in 2014, surely helps with this as well. The Vienna derby with Austria Wien is always fiercely contested, while other rivalries include Sturm Graz and of course now RB Salzburg as well. 

Another cool fact:

Rapidviertelstunde

Almost since the club's beginnings, Rapid fans have announced the last 15 minutes of the match by way of the traditional "Rapidviertelstunde" – rhythmic clapping at home or away no matter what the score. The first mention of the practise goes back to 1913, and on 21 April 1918 a newspaper wrote about the fans clapping at the beginning of the "Rapidviertelstunde". Over the decades, there were many instances where the team managed to turn around a losing position by not giving up and, with their fans' support, fighting their way to a win just before the final whistle.

487400737_1024px-Allianz_Stadion_Wien_Innenansicht.thumb.jpg.92c91009ff654112bd9ed3a37d2a54ca.jpg

All in all, I felt that the potential is there was a great long-term project at this club. And so, here we go!

Club info screen in FM below:

20200212143827_1.thumb.jpg.a1ba72d7ee75c515c6ebab4051a9fb18.jpg

Edited by karanhsingh

Meet the manager:

Branko Bošković - retired Montenegrin footballer who is a Rapid Wien and Crvena zvezda legend, besides also having unfortunately turned out for PSG in his playing days. He walks in with no coaching badges at all, but a decent reputation thanks to his record as an ex-international.

20200212143750_1.thumb.jpg.899c63787b0abaca63bf885d42b97a8e.jpg

20200212172947_1.thumb.jpg.794f4601bce6d887b97dd2c7f9aa5eb9.jpg

And this is where the club finds itself at the time of the appointment.

20200212143842_1.thumb.jpg.f742c5a240870df5dda56a2d7b936864.jpg

It's only 4 games to go before the split into the Championship and relegation groups, so the immediate aim would be to get a few wins on the board and try to sneak into the top 6. 

This is a format which apparently quite a few of the smaller leagues have adopted and I find it quite interesting & fun, because it means you have more good matches between the best sides of the league and there is always more to play for at the end of the season. In Austria, just like Belgium, the top 6 break-away to form the Championship group, the points tally at that time is halved and there is then another 10 games as each team plays all the others home & away. So still definitely a lot of points to be won & lost.

In other news, Rapid Wien are also still in the Austrian Cup in the Quarter Finals, so there is a shot at silverware yet this season.

The playing squad inherited was below, definitely a lot of under-performing players there. I wanted to take my time and properly assess the squad so decided against any incoming transfers in the January window. However, with the club being over the wage budget, we did let a few bit part players leave through a mix of loans & free transfers. 

20200212143854_1.thumb.jpg.8558a62aa657652d0f2ce31474afc103.jpg

There also seem to be a couple of youngsters with very high potential at the club, who will definitely be getting a lot of first-team football as we hope to realize it.

20200213000413_1.thumb.jpg.6be9415e759d300af0435d30babf2b2b.jpg

Yusuf Demir is all of 16 years old but already had Dortmund sniffing around him at the time. Immediately given a new contract and promoted to the first team with the hope of giving him some games during the season. Also have started retraining him as an inside forward from the AMR position to make him a little bit more versatile. Definitely have high hopes from him.

20200213000425_1.thumb.jpg.0c99b4bd5a9ed2d10801dc7ca576574e.jpg

Leo Greiml was already in the first team but can expect to also see a lot of first team football at the back. He already looks like a well-rounded center back but will hopefully improve on his defensive attributes as time goes on.

Our first competitive fixture was in the Cup which we won to enter the semi finals, leading to this.

20200212234916_1.thumb.jpg.34aa26e227febf5a6986945987b2e3ce.jpg

Which then led to this,

20200213001859_1.thumb.jpg.4a357342beea2f297ff7a9d4ae44478d.jpg

And a solid performance sees us win our first Vienna derby by a scoreline of 1-0,

20200213002039_1.thumb.jpg.cd244e4e4b6294a67c84ef20ca0021c5.jpg

To set up a date in the final with who else,

20200213002227_1.thumb.jpg.4b2ccb98622ef636083192df92d4b87f.jpg

Meanwhile some strong performances in the league brought us to the verge of the top 6, going into the last game of the regular season against rivals Sturm Graz. A defeat here though would probably see us finish in the relegation zone. 

We found ourselves undeservedly losing 0-2 with not much time left, and threw on 16 year old Yusuf Demir and went ultra attacking. Well, here is what happened.

20200213003442_1.thumb.jpg.24e820477468c128a989015967b937b7.jpg

20200213003601_1.thumb.jpg.7f89731942efdb766c5381366e460920.jpg

Absolutely incredible scenes!

Fortunately, our rivals dropped points which meant we just sneaked into the Championship group in 6th place.

20200213003835_1.thumb.jpg.807fdf5d1ed24a339e198b3c94248aca.jpg

Love this. I went to Vienna a few years back (watched an Austria Vienna game) then came home and had a really good FM save in Austria with Austria Vienna. It's my plan to do the same this year at some point! Good luck and KUTGW!

4 hours ago, ITFC_Blue said:

Love this. I went to Vienna a few years back (watched an Austria Vienna game) then came home and had a really good FM save in Austria with Austria Vienna. It's my plan to do the same this year at some point! Good luck and KUTGW!

Thanks! Let me know if & when you get to Vienna on FM20 :D 

Lovely start. I toyed with starting Austria myself. With BW-linz in the second division. Salzburg will be a tough one to crack. Love a fallen giant or sleeping one. Rapid appear to be that now with most titles but a recent lack of them. My typical type of save so will be following closely.  Best of luck 

Great choice of a club, I also looked at the other side of Vienna for a save. I would have preferred Rapid but the Green colours of the screens was bothering me. Fickle I know. 

RBS should more manageable with no Haaland and Minamino leaving the club? I think? Honestly I didn't see if they bought anybody in either.

6 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Lovely start. I toyed with starting Austria myself. With BW-linz in the second division. Salzburg will be a tough one to crack. Love a fallen giant or sleeping one. Rapid appear to be that now with most titles but a recent lack of them. My typical type of save so will be following closely.  Best of luck 

Thanks! More updates coming up soon :brock:

4 hours ago, Kingofcm03 said:

Great choice of a club, I also looked at the other side of Vienna for a save. I would have preferred Rapid but the Green colours of the screens was bothering me. Fickle I know. 

RBS should more manageable with no Haaland and Minamino leaving the club? I think? Honestly I didn't see if they bought anybody in either.

I hear you about the colours! Somehow though I have grown to develop an affinity to green (at least on FM) after a fun save with Krasnodar and Sporting CP last edition. 

And yes no Haland or Minamino however they still have a great squad. That said, they seem to be losing players fast in my current save and not replacing them well just yet. I was/ am hoping that the AI is smart enough to replicate RBS's real life transfer strategy in game and keep a strong conveyor belt of talent going. Time will tell but early signs are not too positive. That said, they did just beat me 7-3 (!!) in-game so as of now there is still a sizable gap between the two clubs.

Will update the league first, we left off having just entered the Championship Group.

Well, the first half went very well, as we picked up 13 points from a possible 15.

20200214172437_11.thumb.jpg.3c250250391948aa42ed5ffaf638da54.jpg

Which took us into 2nd place in the standings.

20200213014727_11.thumb.jpg.337b1924edcecddaaf1b910617aaa983.jpg

Another 4 wins on the trot then took us within 3 points of Salzburg going into the last game, which was against them, away from home. 

20200213105303_11.thumb.jpg.0683245553bdb391cb094316a26acc90.jpg

So, we basically needed to beat them by 13 goals or more to win the league :lol:

Sadly, what transpired was one of the craziest games I have had while playing FM.

20200213165227_1.thumb.jpg.bca708238c56000f9b89ce00197319e4.jpg

Yes, this happened. At 4-3 down I actually thought we had given a fairly good account of ourselves. But we then collapsed and they ran out 7-3 winners with a crushing defeat. Also a timely reminder perhaps of the gulf between the clubs, and the size of the task at hand. 

However on the bright side, we finished the season in second place, thereby qualifying for the early rounds of the Champions League.

However, we also had the matter of the Cup Final to attend too. Here is how that went, against the same opposition.

20200213102236_1.thumb.jpg.cda6c0ae0c08468797f7851c60336c0b.jpg

An evenly fought game that went into extra time, and I sent on 16 year old Yusuf Demir in the hopes of finding a winner. And boy, did he!! He scored a fantastic goal to give us the shock lead, which was doubled moments later by other home-grown youngster Leo Greiml heading in from a corner. These are both the players I actually profiled in the opening post! Really hoping that they both can form the main-stay of my side here. But what a game, and what a result!! 

20200213102217_1.thumb.jpg.3c8365c29ebeaa55a6ad6883604a5f55.jpg

And so, we have our first trophy. Have some of that, Salzburg :lock:

To say that the team of the season was dominated by Salzburg would be an under-statement :lol:

20200213170650_1.thumb.jpg.21092c946b3aa9872755103a63b9bbea.jpg

However, these are our squad stats. 

20200213165141_1.thumb.jpg.5a195149314c3bd84a48c7a5aaeb353c.jpg

We actually have a pretty solid squad all around. Definitely would be hoping to properly challenge RBS for the title in the coming season. With a few additions of course - summer transfer update coming up soon. 

2 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

And so, we have our first trophy. Have some of that, Salzburg 

Nice win! Congratulations.

Thanks guys!

I am hoping to have a proper update tomorrow. Have just completed the first half of season 2. Which has been both amazing and frustrating in parts. 

In the final game before the winter break (horrible timing because I now have to stew over it) we have just been spectacularly FM'd by the AI against the team bottom of the league who somehow conspired to score 3 goals against us all from indirect free kicks of course with players who look like they wouldn't get into a Sunday league team. 

I somehow kept myself from smashing my laptop in, will pull out it tomorrow and write up the update. On a related note, if anyone has tips on dealing with AI set pieces do let me know as it's doing my head in!

11 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Thanks guys!

I am hoping to have a proper update tomorrow. Have just completed the first half of season 2. Which has been both amazing and frustrating in parts. 

In the final game before the winter break (horrible timing because I now have to stew over it) we have just been spectacularly FM'd by the AI against the team bottom of the league who somehow conspired to score 3 goals against us all from indirect free kicks of course with players who look like they wouldn't get into a Sunday league team. 

I somehow kept myself from smashing my laptop in, will pull out it tomorrow and write up the update. On a related note, if anyone has tips on dealing with AI set pieces do let me know as it's doing my head in!

Oh yeah, I have been close to this in my current season. I really love when the AI farmers league quality players score worldies from 30 yards with long shot ratings of 4. They all have killer finishing skills as well, its almost like watching Pele again in his prime as they score 3 goals from 3 shots and we batter teams with 15-20 on target and cant score. Good times.

Just now, Kingofcm03 said:

if anyone has tips on dealing with AI set pieces do let me know as it's doing my head in!

This is something I am finding is very powerful at the moment, the indirect free kicks into the box are 60-70% chance of being a goal

RAPID WIEN 2020-21 MID-SEASON UPDATE

First, the transfers. 

As a loose policy we are going to try to stick to mainly two sets of players - German speaking (so based in say Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium) and Eastern Europeans to go with Branko's heritage. 

20200217114440_1.thumb.jpg.732b005f41c1aaddd2f30b64fb5049f0.jpg

We needed reinforcements if we were to compete with the mighty RB Salzburg. At the same time, I didn't want to just spend for the sake of it.

The outgoings were all players who were out of favour, or returning from loan spells. The only significant one is the loan of Yusuf Demir our young prodigy who scored the winner in the cup final, I felt like a season of regular football in the top division would be best for his continued development. Coming in were:

Oliver Batista Meier - German/ Brazilian wide attacking player to give us hopefully more quality in those areas. The loan deal from Bayern includes an option to buy at 10 million.

Albert Vallci - loan from our main rivals RB Salzburg as he was transfer-listed, again with an option to buy. Seems like a decent defender who can play all across the back four.

Joshua Zirkzee - another loan from Bayern with an option to buy, he would be the main rotation option this season for Kitagawa up front.

Niklas Beste - yet another loan from a German club however he will mainly provide cover for the LB position.

Lazar Pavlovic - young promising Serbain midfielder from Partizan, hopefully be able to give him some games this season. 

Sergio Gomez - the most exciting transfer Vienna has seen in ages! Sergio may not have much top-flight experience but was a key figure for Spain in the U21 Euros over the summer and seems to be a very promising player. He was transfer-listed at Dortmund but we had to fend off competition from a couple of German clubs for him. I was afraid we were going to lose out at the final hurdle, and could not offer more wages, so I did something I haven't done before and I offered the player 50% of the profit made on any future transfer. Perhaps that is what swung the deal our way. Now the next step at some point would be to renew his contract without a release clause in it :brock:

And so here is the squad going into the new season:

20200214164044_1.thumb.jpg.cf7242d96184f61f555b3a408259eb1b.jpg

Edited by karanhsingh

Will talk about Champions League qualifying first up.

We were drawn against PAOK of Greece which I thought would be a bit more of a challenge. I really do not know how we didn't win the away leg.

20200214164950_1.thumb.jpg.ba63977a3af471c00c32971533bc01f8.jpg

Fortunately, we did the business at home to then draw Porto in the next round, which would surely see us exit the competition. 

20200214185207_1.thumb.jpg.3d7f71648cf9f1949890acd910b51da5.jpg

However, we went to Portugal and grabbed a famous win against all odds, somehow keeping them out and returning with 2 away goals. Probably the biggest result in my reign so far. 

Now this *should* have made things relatively straight-forward for the second leg, until of course we conspired to go a man and a goal down in the first half hour. Que absolute mayhem.

20200214233110_1.thumb.jpg.52efaf70746bfa46008e30e5a0d10912.jpg

The team responded magnificently in the 2nd half, and we secured a 3-3 draw to take us into the final round of qualifying! Sergio Gomez scoring an exceptional goal from 30 yards out. 

Next up and standing in our way of reaching the Champions League group stage was Club Brugge from Belgium.

The first leg was again away from home. We were banging on the door but unable to score. Still I felt like a goalless draw would be a decent result to take home. 

20200215001005_1.thumb.jpg.ae287ee797695c1cebf881fb85c8a1db.jpg

However, then disaster struck. We lost our concentration and they scored not one but two late goals completely against the run of play. 

Now for the home leg. We came flying out of the blocks and scored twice in the opening half hour to level the tie on aggregate. From here on, surely there was going to be only one winner. We battered them for the rest of the game, but just could not score a 3rd goal. 

20200217114730_1.thumb.jpg.1f61b46c3672a6a270840c3e9ac5f40f.jpg

And then of course, we ended up going out of the competition on penalties in front of our fans. Over the 2 legs we had a total of 40 shots to 15 from the Belgians. Absolutely no idea how we lost that. 

Our "reward" was a nice & easy Europa group with Spurs, Schalke and Antwerp. Yikes.

Next up, Europa League group stage.

We started with a visit to London to take on Spurs. Actually went into a shock lead but we couldn't hold on, finally surrendering a late winner and going down 2-1.

20200217121730_1.thumb.jpg.1f10d8b08b57f74e5a7c158ef934859e.jpg

Next was a home game against the Germans Schalke. We had to take something from this game to stay in the hunt.

20200217121736_1.thumb.jpg.8f9b8e7de721fc26f7d90067e441be5d.jpg

Disappointingly, we once again lost from a winning position, conceding the winner from a corner (defending set pieces has been a real bane for us). This was a gutting result and probably down to inexperience in high-pressure games such as these. 

Fortunately we then did the job home & away against Antwerp to bring us to 6 points. Spurs at home next.

20200217121830_1.thumb.jpg.3447d4a6d30288e844f9ef8a38a528ca.jpg

We held on for a nervy but deserved 1-0 win. The fact that we could go toe to toe against Spurs over 2 legs shows how far we have come so far. But, a long way to go yet.

Going into the final game, both Schalke & us were tied on 9 points but they were ahead due to results between teams. Therefore we went to Germany knowing that only an away win could do it for us. 

20200217114745_1.thumb.jpg.4386ae84103e70880fd687c758b16696.jpg

But, we went and only did it!! The Bayern loanee Batista Meier doing the business against one of their rival clubs with a superb hat-trick!

20200217121722_1.thumb.jpg.53253f823945a37eabdb02c0f80361fa.jpg

Which means we are still in Europe going into the new year! We have been handed another tough draw against PSV in the first knock-outs. 

By comparison, Salzburg have Neims in the knock-outs while they had Reims, Rosenborg and Lokomotiv in the group stage :rolleyes:

And that brings us to the League & Austrian Cup finally. Here is how we have been getting on.

20200217123132_1.thumb.jpg.750b393d4a4c4f879dd13893d600abb0.jpg

On first glance, it seems like things could not be going better. We are unbeaten domestically with half the season gone. Started off with a huge result beating Salzburg 3-1 away from home, and we have 4 points from our 2 games with them. We also bested our rivals Austria Wien 1-0 away a result that resulted in them sacking their annoying manager :lol:

In the cup as well we have smoothly progressed to the quarters where we will again take on cross-town rivals Austria Wien in February. 

However, the bad news is that what was a 5 point lead over Salzburg has been slashed to just 1 point due to us having two draws in our last three league games. This one was particularly devastating being against the team bottom of the league and the last game before the winter break. 

20200217123631_1.thumb.jpg.9f84c655bab50bf29e724c7e2afc9e1f.jpg

While we did not play very well, we were still good value for the win. What was crazy was this group of terrible footballers who have a grand total of 10 goals in the league, scoring not once, not twice, but THRICE from free kick deliveries that Kevin de Bruyne would be proud of. And of course, the final goal and the equaliser arriving in the phantom 5th minute of stoppage time. Made me want to smash the laptop in :mad:

I would have been happy enough with a 3 point lead but now we are just a solitary point ahead, and Salzburg are on a crazy run of form with 6 straight league wins since we played them. 

20200217114850_1.thumb.jpg.e18103e5125fe82edc0ee98ac6900cf2.jpg

And so it is all to play for in the second part of the season. Another 4 league games to go before we break into the Championship group, and I feel that the title may well be decided by the two remaining fixtures we will have against Salzburg.

The PSV home leg was phenomenal. I got a little nervous when they pulled it back to 2-1 but the team responded magnificently.

20200217165430_1.thumb.jpg.93880e0dc2b72701d45e0237d77a0840.jpg

We lost away from home 3-1 but that was still enough to take us through to play Lyon in the Europa League round of 16.

First leg was away from home. In an even first half, we conceded to a powerful effort from Depay but then deservedly equalized in the 44th minute. Just as I was going to click "tighten up" Lyon almost immediately scored, and from a dreaded set piece of course. This kind of shocked the team, and we just didn't show up for the second half. They scored yet another set piece goal to win the leg 3-1. 

20200218120221_1.thumb.jpg.9d785e370534450b983eec958620398a.jpg

I still had some hope for the home leg, and we started off very well but could not convert. Then one long ball, Depay was through and it was 1-0 Lyon. The tie was pretty much dead & buried, and while we huffed and puffed, we just could not score.

20200218120229_1.thumb.jpg.b312f626da9b8553894f00526a07d3fb.jpg

And thus came to end our European adventure. Was fun while it lasted!

In the league, we got a massive result away from home against Salzburg, finally getting some luck going our way! 

20200218120252_1.thumb.jpg.777b3d795e1304e847df7a25820dbd85.jpg

The closing stages of that game were so nervy! This opened up a 5 point gap with 5 games remaining in the Championship group, giving us a much needed boost.

Days later, we did the trick over them again, this time in the Cup Final, which was a repeat of the previous year. 

20200218120245_1.thumb.jpg.996c190e71d1b4367e8e82c20ad52945.jpg

Another nervy 1-0 win, but who cared. We brought the Cup home for the second year running! 

Now however we still had to do the business in the remaining league fixtures. The last game was against Salzburg again, which means that if we won the ones before we would have the Championship.

20200218120200_1.thumb.jpg.3c993ac92f5c2c6789d9484077c61af4.jpg

We made it happen!! At the same time, Salzburg capitulated, meaning we won the league with a couple of games to spare! Here is the final league table.

20200218135034_1.thumb.jpg.c3febb0e8d51ff7a26af6c1802ccaa36.jpg

The only blight is the last day defeat at home against Salzburg again, which prevented us from going unbeaten all season domestically. However that is asking for a bit much. 

We did the League & Cup double, surely more than I could have hoped for at the beginning of the season! 

:hammer:

Player stats from the end of the season:

20200218115846_1.thumb.jpg.b2884ac0a368339deaf1b124c5310bab.jpg

And I will put up screens of the 4 players who for me were our best all season long, and indeed some of the best in the league.

First up, the Spanish play-maker Sergio Gomez who we got from Dortmund. He's like our own little version of David Silva. Has an electric left foot and basically dictated our play all season long. A huge priority over the summer is to get him to sign a new contract without a low release clause in it, the current one stands at 15.75 million.

20200218120005_1.thumb.jpg.9a5413f91ba96a81de503cf607cf194d.jpg

Next up is our Japanese striker Koya Kitagawa, who finished as top scorer in the league. His finishing can be frustrating at times, but he gets so many chances thanks to his movement and amazing physicals. Now I know that he is probably not good enough for European football, but I can't possibly replace him after the season he has had. So he will probably remain as our main striker next season.

20200218120012_1.thumb.jpg.81c4eefd1582ede62d40adb729ec7025.jpg

Home grown young center back Leo Greiml is up next. This guy has made massive strides in our 2 seasons here and is now rated as a wonderkid. He has been a rock at the back and also scored some crucial goals. There is a lot of interest in him from English clubs and he also has a 16m release clause, so will be trying to sign him up soon.

20200218120026_1.thumb.jpg.f5d9c2e970eed45ccf285edfa9335446.jpg

And finally that brings us to loanee Oliver Batista Meier from Bayern, who was a huge threat from the left wing and a big upgrade for us this season. He finishes as our second top scorer behind Kutagawa and as you can see has also progressed well. We have managed to already extend his loan for another season with a 10 million option to buy.

20200218120037_1.thumb.jpg.fc93e734a14def8d4029c6d9925c3079.jpg

This is how the manager (me) looks like now:

20200218120314_1.thumb.jpg.71d77842a4d60e7366939c17a19b8ae8.jpg

And I am also apparently the top Montenegrin manager of all time!

20200218140020_1.thumb.jpg.e5b47613b877dd6b47339c696688e176.jpg

Tough loss to Lyon, beating PSV is great. They are pretty strong.

I am surprised you dethroned RBS so quickly! Fantastic result there. 

What tactics are you using?

20200218142559_1.thumb.jpg.d3e42d99b439f6ea8a5e63860dffc8d3.jpg

This is the basic set-up. Ignore the date on the game, I am currently in holiday mode testing something. 

I was also surprised but some of the transfer business by RBS has been horrendous. I just started a topic about it in the General forum.

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

20200218142559_1.thumb.jpg.d3e42d99b439f6ea8a5e63860dffc8d3.jpg

This is the basic set-up. Ignore the date on the game, I am currently in holiday mode testing something. 

I was also surprised but some of the transfer business by RBS has been horrendous. I just started a topic about it in the General forum.

Just had a read, interesting. Also pretty cool that SI have asked to see the save and have a look. I will need to see what Shakhtar and Dynamo have done but i feel like they are doing well, Shakhtar just sign 10 Brazilians each window :)

Nice set up as well, any issues with the 2 x playmakers?

11 minutes ago, Kingofcm03 said:

Just had a read, interesting. Also pretty cool that SI have asked to see the save and have a look. I will need to see what Shakhtar and Dynamo have done but i feel like they are doing well, Shakhtar just sign 10 Brazilians each window :)

Nice set up as well, any issues with the 2 x playmakers?

Yes I saw in your thread which is how it should be, especially if you beat them to the league title then a club like Shakhtar or Salzburg should spend big to try and win it back. 

No not had any issues, Sergio Gomez in particular has been amazing as the AP (although he just refused to sign a new contract). In the DM role I have been using a DLP because that best suits the players playing there (Ljubicic or Schwab) but I am contemplating an upgrade and a role change there. 

Superb league and cup double!! RBS knocked of the perch rapidly :brock: see what I done there 😎

11 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Superb league and cup double!! RBS knocked of the perch rapidly :brock: see what I done there 😎

Haha indeed. Thank you! 

I am struggling in the transfer window though... for a different reason. There are enough players to buy, but I cannot bring myself to move on any of my current squad after they have all been playing so well. I think I will just get in a couple of youngsters and give it another season with this lot. See if they can keep pushing forward. 

Greiml just signed a new deal with an updated release clause of 26 million, so that is some good news at least.

32 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Haha indeed. Thank you! 

I am struggling in the transfer window though... for a different reason. There are enough players to buy, but I cannot bring myself to move on any of my current squad after they have all been playing so well. I think I will just get in a couple of youngsters and give it another season with this lot. See if they can keep pushing forward. 

Greiml just signed a new deal with an updated release clause of 26 million, so that is some good news at least.

I get that way myself at times. Lucky this season I don’t have a budget as I’ve not made Europe groups yet. I did have a good batch of youngsters so promoted within. 

There is no harm in sticking with them it’s actually more realistic in a sense. As most managers IRL become  loyal to the players after success and only add here and there to the core. 

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

I get that way myself at times. Lucky this season I don’t have a budget as I’ve not made Europe groups yet. I did have a good batch of youngsters so promoted within. 

There is no harm in sticking with them it’s actually more realistic in a sense. As most managers IRL become  loyal to the players after success and only add here and there to the core. 

Yes exactly... that is what I think I am going to do

Salzburg have sacked their manager so it will be interesting to see how much upheaval they have

Reviving this! Work & family life took over for a few weeks, but hopefully we can bring back some focus to the Weststadion :D 

So we were at the start of the 2021-22 season

We weren't very busy in the transfer window, partially because the board didn't give much money to spend, and partially because as above I didn't see any logic to making sweeping changes to the squad.

20200313141456_1.thumb.jpg.fd84f7195589715ebec5b5604b6fc7df.jpg

No significant departures. The only first team players coming in were -

Juan Miranda on loan - to compete with Ullman for the LB role. 

Armel Bella-Kotchap on loan - young physical German CB on loan with an option to buy. He could become our long-term partner for Greiml. 

Antonio Barak - luxury transfer, Czech B2B midfielder who is probably a slight upgrade on what we currently have. 

Which in turn gave us this squad going into the new season:

20200220183740_1.thumb.jpg.d34fea6d09a9eaeb10e9ee2bd45006f3.jpg

Soon the Champions League groups were drawn, and it's fair to say the dice didn't quite roll in our favour.

20200221003854_1.thumb.jpg.420a52bf085342d98c8b2b8b97079f70.jpg

Yes, that's right. Manchester City, Atletico Madrid and Inter Milan. :seagull:

However I can't have too many complaints about the early season form.

20200313141450_1.thumb.jpg.3290157d55e1f8c562efbe7442908b7f.jpg

Maximum points in the league, including a statement win over Salzburg who are the nearest rivals again. 

We managed a nervy 1-0 home win against Inter in the first CL game, before being brought back down to Earth in Manchester. If we could somehow nick even 3rd place that would be magnificent, but is still a far cry at the moment.

2021-22 mid-season update

We have reached the winter break of our third season at SK Rapid Wien, which means it's time for an update. Here are the fixtures first.

20200316114317_1.thumb.jpg.721e15f6a95e401f240803c6668475e0.jpg

Things have been good in the league, with us only dropping points in 2 games so far. Salzburg started the season strong but have had a rough patch recently, which means we are now 14 points ahead of them. The gap of course will get halved when we go into the Championship stage, so the title is by no means done yet. However the objective is definitely to make it back-to-back league wins, and also this time hopefully go the entire season undefeated.

20200316114323_1.thumb.jpg.97dcb9a50580ff39a81b4a21dbf47730.jpg

In the Champions League, we definitely held our own after being drawn in that monster of a group. We actually managed to beat all our opponents at home, with a fully merited 3-1 win over Man City in the final game. However, the away results were not as good, including a 0-4 thrashing in Madrid. Ultimately the goal difference cost us, and we finished 3rd in the group behind Atletico, but ahead of Inter, meaning we will stay in Europe post winter and drop down to the Europa league. 

20200316114332_1.thumb.jpg.e53817563cd1a20e0ef711ccf95d7e13.jpg 

Despite some of these results, I have seen how far behind we still our to compete with Europe's best. Apart from Sergio Gomez and Leo Greiml, none of the players are hitting the heights of last season. Many of the league wins have also been by one or two goals, before we even think about Europe we have to become totally dominant domestically. The squad is by and large doing well but I feel like a lot of the players have now hit their peak with us and will struggle to push on further. Here are the squad stats so far to back this up.

20200316115433_1.thumb.jpg.723c882f65c8b432215d399130061068.jpg

That being said, I am not planning big changes in the winter transfer window. Will complete the season and then re-evaluate. Hopefully we can bring home the league and be competitive in the Europa.

And for another overdue update, some time ago in game the opportunity to manage a national team came up, I applied for a few roles and got the Norway job. This was an enticing one as I have been wanting to manage Haland, and also I was excited at the prospect of using Odegaard in the "Sergio Gomez" role. 

Well it's been a while now, and things in the World Cup Qualifiers could not have gone much better.

20200316114835_1.thumb.jpg.7e8d57dfb3e6bd6cc01726b754f354f2.jpg

It's pretty much been the Haland show as he has scored 10 goals in the 8 qualifiers to get us some incredible results. But apart from him, we do have a strong spine to the team supported by Odegaard and Berge in midfield, and captain Ajer in defense. 

These results, coupled with Spain dropping some points, meant this:

20200316114840_1.thumb.jpg.67fb5b9d726ae1d27700eb8e9314f271.jpg

And so by the skin of our teeth we have qualified for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar!! 

Posted (edited)

20200316154410_1.thumb.jpg.79fd4e9b24f5aa87cfef6978d6a56495.jpg

It's a sad day for the club. Burnley activated the release clause for Leo Greiml, our young home-grown CB who has been an absolute rock for the past 2.5 seasons. We tried to offer him a new contract but he had his mind set on leaving. On the upside it is of course a lot of money for the club, and absolutely smashes our existing transfer record. 

EDIT - this is also apparently now an Austrian record as well, higher than any of Salzburg's sales.

Edited by karanhsingh

Hey Are you still doing this save? I've started a rapid vienna save myself but I'm curious of how its going for you.

46 minutes ago, CoinsBoostMyEgo said:

Hey Are you still doing this save? I've started a rapid vienna save myself but I'm curious of how its going for you.

No sadly not, after winning a few league titles I put it on hold. But it was a lot of fun! Let me know if you have any specific questions. 

So I started a save as Rapid Vienna. The first season was going pretty well and I thought I had won the league upon conclusion of 22 games, only to find that the top 6 go into another sub championship! Sadly my form tailed away but I managed to sneak into 3rd place and earn myself Europa League football for the following year.

Fast forward to the start of the 2020/2021 season and after a rocky start I've found a bit of form and am up to 5th in the league. I had some cracking regens come through but unfortunately my stupid bellend of a chairman went over my head and accepted a bid from Liverpool for one of the best. Still, I've got some great prospects as you can see below.

Marcel Paulus - At only 17 years of age, he's already rated by my coaching staff as the best centre mid at the club. Better even that Mr Schwab! He isn't starting yet but is knocking on the door.

Daniel Fehling - Very promising attacking mid that I am retraining as a centre mid (I don't use attacking mids in my formation).

Alexander Kaiser - Quality LB that I hope will usurp my current one in a few years.

Tim Schwartz - I'm still pissed off at my chairman for letting him go...

Unfortunately Napoli activated the release clause in Leo Greiml's contract, so I was forced to sell him. His replacement:

Yann-Aurel Bisseck - a 19 year old German/Ghanian CB with excellent stats and bags of room for improvement.

Koya Kitagawa did naff all for me in his first season so I sold him to Saint Etienne. Henrik Weydandt and Ferdy Druijf, my new front 2. Weydandt had a cracking first season for me and Druijf is a new signing but is rated by my coaches as better than Henrik.

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 10.02.36.png

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 10.04.26.png

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 10.06.06.png

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 10.06.45.png

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 10.08.08.png

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 10.49.01.png

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 10.49.22.png

Edited by offleyhornet