Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dirkjan

[FM20] [Searching for...] BeNeLiga!

With the discussion for a new BeNeLiga in full swing, I was wondering if anyone has made such a database he want to share. Seems like a fun save!

-> There is a big discussion going on between clubs in Belgium and Netherlands to start their own league: BeNeLiga. There's even an discussion to include Luxembourg teams for a BeNeLux-liga.
-> This is the only English-written article I could find. https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/belgian-dutch-football-stakeholders-state-potential-of-beneliga-concept/

It should be something like this:

1nd tier. Beneliga -> top 10 dutch teams, top 8 Belgian teams make 18 clubs.
Promotion/relegation no clue (only last 1 team per country?)
2nd tier. First league Belgium, First League Netherlands
And so on

I guess the main issue would be continental qualification, which would likely get a little bit messed up by this. If all teams were based in Netherlands or Belgium, then I am not sure what happens with the leagues that are now empty. I assume someone knows how that works (and I would also be interested to know).

We had similar discussions elsewhere. You could make or use a dummy country like the defunct ones, that will act as a wrapper for all clubs, create leagues within that country, tell clubs that now their continental cup nation is said new country, and here you go. National teams would remain separate, the new country wouldn't play any international competitions, perhaps a few friendlies but maybe would produce one or two regen per year that usually would retire quickly upon not finding a club. Don't forget to extinct old competitions. It's actually a pretty painless process aside from creating a good system for competitions. The only big caveat is that all clubs would have to "share" the qualifying places for EL/CL, so you're going to have less clubs qualifying for European football overall, but it would work.

I think I have actually found a way to have this competition as the top flight of both Belgium and Netherlands, whilst keeping the league structure in each country also intact and thus preserving the proper continental qualification rules for both countries!

Which is a wonderful morning's work while waiting for experiments to finish. It seems to work on a quick test, but I need to make sure it is still easy to separate and relegate Belgian and Dutch sides. And work out if Luxembourg can be added to split things 3 ways.