Overachieving and then what the board want is just plain silly.

It's one thing to overachieve in the first and second seasons as a club who originally were supposed to not get relegated but in my third season i was told i was to qualify for the Champions League (at the time i thought it was the Europa League and i thought that in itself was gonna be hard) however i finish 4th by a single point, we qualify for Champions League football something the board had no right in asking for as we didn't even qualify for the Europa League any of the previous 2 seasons. Still all that and im in a sack race of all things? Where is the common sense in this game?

Yeah, I know. 

Hell, I took a club that was relegation the previous season, to being Champions by ten points in the Premier League. The fans loved me, but then everything turned sour in the second season and we didn't start well, but not abysmally. I thought "well, I've got some faith in the bank", but no, I got sacked the season after winning the flipping Premier League with a mid table side. 

It's ridiculous sometimes. 

Yeah, once you overachieve in this game you've crossed the point of no return. Any bad season after that will make them want your head. That's a major flaw in the game if you ask me, one that I personally would cheat the game with via the editor if it were to happen to me.

38 minutes ago, Some Guy! said:

Yeah, I know. 

Hell, I took a club that was relegation the previous season, to being Champions by ten points in the Premier League. The fans loved me, but then everything turned sour in the second season and we didn't start well, but not abysmally. I thought "well, I've got some faith in the bank", but no, I got sacked the season after winning the flipping Premier League with a mid table side. 

To be fair, similar happened to Leicester after their Premier League win - they didn't do so well, so the manager got sacked. Given managers last an average of 12 months nowadays, it's not unusual.

1 minute ago, likesiamesefish said:

Maybe SI should include an unsackable feature. Making it any easier to keep your job than it already is would be a mistake in my view, if anything the board need to become much more demanding and reactionary to reflect reality.

You can do that already, the in-game editor allows you to set yourself as unsackable.

1 hour ago, Some Guy! said:

Yeah, I know. 

Are you Claudio Ranieri in disguise?

1 hour ago, likesiamesefish said:

Maybe SI should include an unsackable feature. Making it any easier to keep your job than it already is would be a mistake in my view, if anything the board need to become much more demanding and reactionary to reflect reality.

I didn't win any league, Leicester did.

I think it's dependent on the league too. The EPL seems pretty bad for it but I think that might be down to the money involved. Clubs seem to rely on the revenue they get from league placings and want to protect it as much as possible so expectations seem to ramp up much quicker in that league than others. It works both ways though - how often have you seen complaints when a club does well in the EPL but the board is too conservative and don't give you the money you might want the following season?

Hm, I ran into an overly ambitious board (imo) at Frankfurt on my career save in the fourth year(22/23)

. They sacked their manager in the fall and they were around 7th-11th place  at the  time. can't recall exactly. They wanted qualification for CL though, which I thought was quite demanding. They finished 10th season prior and they weren't in top 4 odds on favorite media prediction either . They did however finish 4th in the very first season and then13th in 20/21. Did nothing much in CL or EL.

Anyway I accepted it as this was my big break, but failed to achieve it and finished 12th. My job may have been precarious at the end, but at least insecure, so I resigned to protect my rep.

edit : having just checked  ; previous manager hasn't been sacked, he left in September for a new job and I apparently resigned on April 25th as I guess I thought the writing was on the wall

Edited by The Threadstarter

It is strange at times. I took Villa from relegation candidates to winning back to back premier leagues and a CL over 4 seasons. The very next season we were out of the title race but  still finished 4th and in CL. Board sacked me even when i asked for more time.

Thomas Tuchel follows me into the hot seat. The next season he finishes 6th and keeps his job. Baffling.