Sports Interactive Community

Hi guys. I'm releatively new to FM having only started playing it this year.

I am doing a save in which I try to win the title in the top division of: Wales, NI, Scotland and England.

I am currently at the Welsh side Newtown.

I am in my third season at the club and I seem to be getting absolutely nowhere, in fact the team has got worse!!

Can anyone give me and tips/advice and tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Cheers

With that little amount if information, it will be impossible to help.  Open a thread in the Tactics forum with as much info about your team, players, formation, team instructions and roles and perhaps you can get some assistance.

1 hour ago, Charlie_99 said:

Hi guys. I'm releatively new to FM having only started playing it this year.

I am doing a save in which I try to win the title in the top division of: Wales, NI, Scotland and England.

I am currently at the Welsh side Newtown.

I am in my third season at the club and I seem to be getting absolutely nowhere, in fact the team has got worse!!

Can anyone give me and tips/advice and tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Cheers

The Welsh Premier gets a lot easier if you can get in to Europe. Put everything into the cup or try and get in to the top few places. The £500k or so you will get for just one European tie will let you compete with TNS.

It's a tight league and getting the best free signings will be key. If you're semi pro you could raid the likes of Cardiff Met Uni for their best amateurs, and there will be a number of other good amateurs at other Welsh clubs.

Get a director of football and ask him for loan suggestions. Your scouting will be unlikley to be funded enough to find English players, but your DoF may suggest some. It will cost you to scout them, but getting an English league player, or two, on loan will realy help you.

Are you limiting yourself to winning with Newtown? If you can do well with them then try and get the TNS job. They are by far the best Welsh club.

That said, none of the above will guarantee you the Welsh Premier. It's a very tight little league. I've been managing it for 4 seasons now and myself and TNS are loaded from Europe. I'm still seeing clubs like Bala and Cardiff defy the odds though.

Good luck.

Anagain has covered it more comprehensively than I could ever do.. but just to reiterate it.. Europe is key, without the money from that, it's next to impossible to compete with TNS..

My Aberystwyth side are only just now starting to get a hold of the league after 3 seasons and that's only thanks to a lucky few signings that have paid off financially. 

I love the league purely because of the difficulty tbh.. 

It's also a great place to begin a journeyman career with hopes of going into the english leagues :)

But then again, I'm biased!

On 08/02/2020 at 00:05, anagain said:

The Welsh Premier gets a lot easier if you can get in to Europe. Put everything into the cup or try and get in to the top few places. The £500k or so you will get for just one European tie will let you compete with TNS.

It's a tight league and getting the best free signings will be key. If you're semi pro you could raid the likes of Cardiff Met Uni for their best amateurs, and there will be a number of other good amateurs at other Welsh clubs.

Get a director of football and ask him for loan suggestions. Your scouting will be unlikley to be funded enough to find English players, but your DoF may suggest some. It will cost you to scout them, but getting an English league player, or two, on loan will realy help you.

Are you limiting yourself to winning with Newtown? If you can do well with them then try and get the TNS job. They are by far the best Welsh club.

That said, none of the above will guarantee you the Welsh Premier. It's a very tight little league. I've been managing it for 4 seasons now and myself and TNS are loaded from Europe. I'm still seeing clubs like Bala and Cardiff defy the odds though.

Good luck.

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it.

In terms of tactics, what kind of style do you go for?

Cheers.

On 10/02/2020 at 17:36, Charlie_99 said:

Cheers.

Well, I'm no tactical genius, but at that level it is less about technical ability and more raw aggression.

A big target man and attempting to deliver longer passes to him is a good bet. Setting up a wing play tactic with a couple of pacey wingers should also serve well.

Essentially you want simple tactics with simple positions. BWM, DLF, TM etc. I find a hard working and fit B2B MF to be great. I've never found WBs to work great at this level. FBs with a WB instruction, maybe, but not full on WBs in a 352.

Start with a simple formation and fiddle with it for best results. 

On 10/02/2020 at 17:36, Charlie_99 said:

Cheers.

i went with a basic 442 route one with big target man with Bala, left before i could win the league but every year got closer to TNS, it is a great challange to try to bring them down, good luck i hope you do it

I've managed about 5 years in Wales and won the Welsh Cup once with Llandudno and finished 2nd in my last season before moving on. TNS are like Celtic they are so much better than the rest of the league.

At that level you have to accept most the time players you get wont improve, they are likely as good as they will get when you sign them. So constantly looking for upgrades to your team is a must show loyalty to no one.

In terms of tactics I played Pulis ball, defend narrow, play fast and direct and play and train on set pieces.