Sports Interactive Community
thejay

Attacking width player positioning

So I am on the latest beta match engine and i wonder why my players are positioned like this 

Anmerkung-2020-02-07-125403.thumb.jpg.29205de4289d5b6a6eff65a1e40cca54.jpg

With attacking instructions ultra wide and the wingers in the aml /amr spots 

Anmerkung-2020-02-07-125515.thumb.jpg.a09634f066711c06e7a6b3b0030cefff.jpgAnmerkung-2020-02-07-125515fs.thumb.jpg.657fe3a0d52573bfdb9331431c0008e2.jpg

its no wonder its almost impossible to create anything against the narrow defense except for crosses when you are not able to stretch the defense, the wide attacking players seem to follow the defenders not the other way around

Man City v Aston Villa.pkm

Hi @thejay,

Thanks for sending this over. Inside forwards & Inverted wingers will move inside the pitch to advance towards goal in the final third, the full-backs should offer width as seen in the screenshot.

If you feel they don't offer any width on other player roles or in the deeper thirds, then can you provide a PKM with multiple examples and we can look into this.

Thanks,

Josh

Am 7.2.2020 um 14:53 schrieb Josh Brimacombe-Wiard:

Hi @thejay,

Thanks for sending this over. Inside forwards & Inverted wingers will move inside the pitch to advance towards goal in the final third, the full-backs should offer width as seen in the screenshot.

If you feel they don't offer any width on other player roles or in the deeper thirds, then can you provide a PKM with multiple examples and we can look into this.

Thanks,

Josh

The inside forward is supposed to cut inside from wide positions, how is this supposed to happen when he plays so narrow as soon as the ball is in the opponents half? Absolute no chance to receive the ball and cut inside 

The inside forwards or inverted wingers go very narrow way too early

Edited by thejay

Are your iw/if set to play wider /run wide with ball if not then they naturally sit narrower, If you want to play wide use wingers.an inside forward is literally that he runs at the defence not wide, he's pretty much an AM.if you check his positioning you are unable to get him to cross from byline or deep. inverted winger is better  as you can get him to cross but tbf they mostly shoot into the side netting anyway LoL

38 minutes ago, Hazpro said:

Are your iw/if set to play wider /run wide with ball if not then they naturally sit narrower, If you want to play wide use wingers.an inside forward is literally that he runs at the defence not wide, he's pretty much an AM.if you check his positioning you are unable to get him to cross from byline or deep. inverted winger is better  as you can get him to cross but tbf they mostly shoot into the side netting anyway LoL

No

This happens since FM19, the AML/AMR positions wil ALWAYS sit narrow, regardless of your PI or TI

If you want your wingers to stay wide in final third, they have to be a MR or ML

See this

Edited by h3nrique_SEP

I have the same problem. It’s also a shame that a lot of the players who play AMR+AML can’t play in the MR or ML position.

Also, in attack the MR and ML is too deep to support the play in the final third in a fast transition. 

Ive played a game, first half with AMR and AML and second half with MR and ML. Here's 4 screeshot's that shows that the MR and ML plays wider in attack

First half

AMR+AML 02:38 (screenshot 1)

AMR+AML 39:24 (screenshot 2)

AMR+AML too narrow 02 38.jpg

AMR+AML too narrow 39 24.jpg

Second half

ML+MR 57:34 (screenshot 3)

ML+ML 78:38 (screenshot 4)

ML + MR plays wider 57 34.jpg

ML + MR plays wider 78 38.jpg

Roma v Milan AMR+AML vs MR+ML.pkm

Edited by FreezingTable

The problem is that the if in the amr/l spot just goes very narrow way to early instead of staying wide and cutting inside. 

In the ml/r spots the play correctly in the final third but are way too deep in the build up phase. 

This is a problem in fm for years now but the new narrow defense instructions have seriously increased this problem. 

10 hours ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

No

This happens since FM19, the AML/AMR positions wil ALWAYS sit narrow, regardless of your PI or TI

If you want your wingers to stay wide in final third, they have to be a MR or ML

See this

I think you'll see if you read my post properly that is what I said.

use wingers.

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback and it's clear you feel strongly on this.

Can I ask if they are always narrow or if it's just a couple of times that this happens per game? Also do we play on full match or highlights?

If throughout the entire game the IF's are narrow then we could look at tweaking this at some point, but if its only a couple of examples in games where they move from out to in, then we feel this is feasible.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Josh

21 hours ago, Hazpro said:

I think you'll see if you read my post properly that is what I said.

use wingers.

Even wingers in AML/AMR gets narrow

4 hours ago, Josh Brimacombe-Wiard said:

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback and it's clear you feel strongly on this.

Can I ask if they are always narrow or if it's just a couple of times that this happens per game? Also do we play on full match or highlights?

If throughout the entire game the IF's are narrow then we could look at tweaking this at some point, but if its only a couple of examples in games where they move from out to in, then we feel this is feasible.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Josh

They always get narrow when the ball gets in the final third

20 minutes ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

Even wingers in AML/AMR gets narrow

They always get narrow when the ball gets in the final third

Yes but you have to make your AML/R play wider and run wide with ball (which I do anyway) if I'm playing with wingers.

At the moment I'm trying out I/W support both sides and W/B att as the W/B's cover most of the wide attacking and there's no point in worrying about defense because most goals conceded come from my own set pieces and you can't do a lot about that because the set piece tactics still don't work properly.

2 hours ago, Hazpro said:

Yes but you have to make your AML/R play wider and run wide with ball (which I do anyway) if I'm playing with wingers.

At the moment I'm trying out I/W support both sides and W/B att as the W/B's cover most of the wide attacking and there's no point in worrying about defense because most goals conceded come from my own set pieces and you can't do a lot about that because the set piece tactics still don't work properly.

No, no matter what you do, the AMR and AML will never stay wide

This is a match engine failure

Ok thanks for the feedback again.

We will look at this in the studio and see if there are times in the ME we could get wide players starting in wider positions.

It's worth noting that IW & IF will come inside to play, especially in the final third.

Cheers,

Josh

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Josh Brimacombe-Wiard:

Ok thanks for the feedback again.

We will look at this in the studio and see if there are times in the ME we could get wide players starting in wider positions.

It's worth noting that IW & IF will come inside to play, especially in the final third.

Cheers,

Josh

If i understand that correctly the come inside to receive the ball and play not to be in the box for a cross?

As it is now they come so narrow and dont move to make themselves available for a pass that the only free option is the full back .

Ideally they should make themselves available , at times come towards the ball while the fullback moves into space and orientate their positioning relative to where the ball is.

I am not sure if this is possible in the match engine