4-4-2 with big + little man

I got luckily and unexpected promoted from league 2 to league 1 through play-offs. First win after penalties and 2nd win with one goal in extra time. Now we are the absolute underdog and have to fight against relegation.

I plan to use a 4-4-2 with a big man and a little man upfront. I am currently planning to play either a variant of direct counter-attack tactic or route one tactic with following roles:

Pa     TMs

IWa DLPd BBMs Ws

WBs CDd CDd FBa

Gd

Any suggestions on roles/combinations for such an underdog tactic?

47 minutes ago, YasoKuul said:

Both are right-footed.

In that case, I would rather have them swapped around. Like this:

TM   PO 

7 hours ago, YasoKuul said:

I got luckily and unexpected promoted from league 2 to league 1 through play-offs. First win after penalties and 2nd win with one goal in extra time. Now we are the absolute underdog and have to fight against relegation.

I plan to use a 4-4-2 with a big man and a little man upfront. I am currently planning to play either a variant of direct counter-attack tactic or route one tactic

Your idea makes sense given that you have just been promoted and are a complete underdog in the league. However, for either of the two styles you are considering, I would suggest you set both strikers on attack duty

TM and poacher are a good combo in general, and the good thing is that TM basically can work with any other role on attack duty. So you can test a number of combos involving the TM. 

7 hours ago, YasoKuul said:

Any suggestions on roles/combinations for such an underdog tactic?

For what you want to implement in terms of playing style, here is an example of how you could set up roles and duties:

TMat   PO/AF

IWsu     CMde   BBM    WMsu

FBat    CDde    NCBde    WBsu

GK/SKde

I guess you already have an idea about instructions and mentality (given that you know what style of play you want to achieve)?

Thank you for your suggestions, I started pre-season with the given route one tactic and amended defensive behaviour TI because these seemed to be too passive. Results and impressions were okay but a few days before the first season game my board decided to sell my target man. 

I don't have a good backup in my team, so either have to find a replacement or change my tactic which is very annoying at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't find a good tactic for my team in the 1st half of the season but found a new target man for my team and amended my tactic as follows:

Pa TMs

IWs CMd CMs Wa

FBa CDd CDd FBs

SKd

Mentality: Counter / TI: higher tempo, counter, distribute to FB, throw it long, lower LOE, tighter marking / LM and RM switch positions

Edited by YasoKuul

On 17/02/2020 at 17:13, YasoKuul said:

Couldn't find a good tactic for my team in the 1st half of the season but found a new target man for my team and amended my tactic as follows:

Pa TMs

IWs CMd CMs Wa

FBa CDd CDd FBs

SKd

Mentality: Counter / TI: higher tempo, counter, distribute to FB, throw it long, lower LOE, tighter marking / LM and RM switch positions

i would try throw the ball long to full backs and distribute quickly