Sports Interactive Community
2calvin

Attributes literally do not matter in this game

3 minutes ago, FM1000 said:

Look dude the only reasonable way to actually program the game is by using chance. No other way around. IRL i have scored a basket shooting with my eyes closed from half court. Can i do that ever again? Probably not. The problem in Football Manager is that the players with actually high attributes like Messi for exp keep on acting like idiots and making idiot decisions, or not playing to their strengths ( Messi or any other player keep running into opposition and loosing the ball which happens rarely IRL but its happening every game apparently in FM word) and high attributes seem like dont do that much except for physical attributes which you can see they make a difference. 

I'm not arguing against that, I just want to know if chance works the same for pace as it does for crossing. 

15 minutes ago, Chardonnay said:

I'm not arguing against that, I just want to know if chance works the same for pace as it does for crossing. 

Probably not since Pace is a measure and crossing always has a certain chance involved. But i would argue that they should up the chances of success for attributes 17 and above especially 20.

1 hour ago, Chardonnay said:

Seems a mod have deleted my very reasonable question,

The question may have been reasonable, but one of my colleagues removed it because of the tone, which is why I've also removed your passive aggressive, and disrespectful, jab at other users of the forum from your repost. Take this as an informal warning to not be disrespectful to people you disagree with by referring to them in a derogatory manner.

3 hours ago, Chardonnay said:

Seems a mod have deleted my very reasonable question, so here goes again. 

According to Miles, mods and others a player with 2 crossing can hit wonderful crosses all game long because of "chance". So I wonder, can a 3 pace player run like Usain Bolt all game because of chance too? 

12 hours ago, Chardonnay said:

Seems a mod have deleted my very reasonable question, so here goes again. 

According to Miles, mods and others a player with 2 crossing can hit wonderful crosses all game long because of "chance". So I wonder, can a 3 pace player run like Usain Bolt all game because of chance too? 

No that's not what's been said. It's precisely the "all game long" point that is wrong and no one said that. The point made on page 1 is that these players aren't incapable of a great pass, touch or shot etc... It's the consistency of pulling it off that's the question.

There's a big difference between a technical skill and a physical one like running pace, so no, a player with 3 for pace can't run as fast as Bolt.

I think OP is just upset he conceded that goal. I've had forwards score better goals than that against me with much worse attributes overall. Get over it. The game has its flaws but this isn't one of them. 

On 30/01/2020 at 19:08, SipontumFMF said:

So, if you concede a goal like this what will you say?

I would say "**** Happens" and That's Football"

On 30/01/2020 at 22:22, sporadicsmiles said:

If you played Bonucci in an identical role to Messi in FM for a full season, Messi would play infinitely better.

There is no scripting to the match engine in the way you are implying here. Attributes matter, but they are not the only thing. Otherwise you could just assemble the best CA team in the world and not even bother to play matches as you know you will win every single game. This is decidedly not what happens in football.

If you think chance plays no role in football, you must live in a world of constant frustration. Chance is one of the most important parts of football.

I do not understand the entire concept of this thread. We see all the time players who we normally think of as being average putting in amazing displays, scoring amazing goals, dominating games when you normally would not expect them to. There are already plenty of examples of this on this thread. It is an obvious part of football, it is not something you can really question.

The underlying current here seems to be that players should never be able play well if their attributes are low. Never score. Never have a great day. Lose every tackle. Which is absolute nonsense. That is contrary to our every day experience of football. Hell, even I have had days where everything I do works perfectly and I just play well. I am sure I am not alone in that. I remember once scoring a 30 yard screamer into the top corner. Never done it before, probably never will again.

I think this is a fundamental misunderstanding of how the game actually works. Attributes determine how good a player is on average. So over the course of a season a player will play more or less to his attributes. You would expect a striker with 20 finishing to outscore a striker with 10 finishing, playing in the same system, over the course of a season. This does not work on the level of a single game, and definitely not on a single passage of play (from which the OP and others are extrapolating here). Here there is much more of a random element. Attributes are only a small part of what is going on in a single game. The way in which players interact with their team mates and the opposition players is vastly important. And add the fact that players can do things like this. They will just do it much rarer than a better player. There is no mystery here, and it is another example of abusing numbers and statistics that I see so often on these forums.

It is annoying to concede such goals, but they happen and it is entirely realistic.

Amen Brother!!!!

@bulldogtimbo - Watch your tone please and don't call people you disagree with, like the OP, derogatory names - attack the argument, not the individual.

Il 31/1/2020 in 17:42 , Freakiie ha scritto:

Just curious, but why does it make no sense? I've seen the AI move a defender up front as a Wide Target Man a couple of times and if you're chasing the game going Route One I'd argue that's actually a quite sensible move and something you often see in real life as well where a tall defender is moved up front to be used as a Target Man when you pump the ball forward in a desperate bid to score a goal.

Tall defender as TM in a desperation move is fine.

Not particularly tall, right-footed CB moved to the AML makes little sense. Much less if he then procedes to score a volley goal befitting a great left-footed forward...

Emergency additional strikers play right in the middle of the attack, trying to flick balls through or to create some chaos with their size/presence. They're most definitely not playing as Wide Forwards pulling off top-shelf plays