Sports Interactive Community
Nico T.

Some thoughts about what to change from ME and gameplay

Hello everybody, just wanted to write some thoughts of the current version of FM20. Please add some others things that are annoying for you guys ! We all want to have a better game !

Attack:

- One-on-one are still unrealistic (lot of fails, unrealistic plays etc.)

- more noticeable changes in silly behavior when you change the player role (Advanced forward always offside, etc.)

- Offense headers wins nearly all the fights and they always fail, sending the ball to the moon ! And just to say, they are AWFUL: the ball physique and behavior on headers is horrible...

Crosses:

- can't see the difference between whipped, low and the other kind (sorry, french speaker). They are all the same.

- Always BLOCKED (9 times of 10 at least...) and always ending in the backpost ! Very annoying...

Players unreal behavior/tactical problems:

- When they receive a ball near to a line, they stop the ball and lose control of it... They could just try to cross directly or smth else but no.

- Impossible to find gaps behind IA defense ! Even with direct passing+counter against a high pressure IA team... but when it comes to you, you get ****ed all the time.

- In this opus, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get the play style you want ! At least defensives+counter ones... like I said just above, it is bearly impossible to find gaps behind the opponent defense, crosses are awful, and players have strange behaviors on the pitch: they doesn't care about team instruction or individual instructions ! 

- Playing with deep defense, low pressure line and not to press much is not possible for all the reasons said above... and because they always press like headless chickens ! even without tight marking and low pressure ! they never stick to their positions and they sometimes press a player that is far from their position ! Really annoying...

Not a tactic problem, I can assure you :lol: I play FM since FM05, and that's the first opus I feel that something is seriously wrong with attacking phases, and not only about "finding gaps in def". I think it's an general ME problem

4 hours ago, palmamiguel92 said:

I can find holes in op's defense, it must be something with your tactic not working so well.

https://streamable.com/n4bdx

This is my team in attack

A couple of more general issues:

1) lack of "static dribbling" - you never see a player, from a starting position face to face with a defender, make space by dropping their shoulder and sending the defender the wrong way. But in real life that's extremely common and players probably use their on-ball skills as often from a starting position as they do while running. This contributes to a lack of creativity and space-making in the attacking phase of the game..

2) players tend to pass only within 90 degrees of the direction they're facing or running, unless it's a back heel. But in actual football players are often cutting the ball  back behind them or away with the outside of their boot, maybe by just turning their head, but often not even that. It's certainly not the case in real football, as in FM, that 99% of passes are in the exact direction the body is facing, especially in the final third. Same for shots in the box. This again limits the creativity and incision of attacking play.

3) defenders pressing as a group all press the exact same spot, meaning that you sometimes get  these bizarre things of 3 defenders chasing the attacker in a tight conga line. But in real football, if  defenders trust each other at all, you'll have one press the front of the player with the ball while one or two others cut off his options by going behind or to his side. Having some code to having a "covering press" when multiple players are pressing the same ball-carrier would stop the current situation where highly defensive, low-skill teams can dominate possession just by passing it around their back line, with the pressers chasing after one space at a time.

4) generally, first touch and pass accuracy under pressure are too high for weak players under immediate pressure. You very rarely see an actually misplaced pass or fudged first touch - everything is either perfect control and accuracy, or panicking and kicking the ball out of play. Need a much more nuanced approach to the effect of pressure and panic on ball-retention.

These aren't really "bugs" to be fixed, just things the engine needs to be more sophisticated to deal with in order to look more like real football and reward high skill and tactical specificity.

5 horas atrás, Kovacevic disse:

A couple of more general issues:

1) lack of "static dribbling" - you never see a player, from a starting position face to face with a defender, make space by dropping their shoulder and sending the defender the wrong way. But in real life that's extremely common and players probably use their on-ball skills as often from a starting position as they do while running. This contributes to a lack of creativity and space-making in the attacking phase of the game..

2) players tend to pass only within 90 degrees of the direction they're facing or running, unless it's a back heel. But in actual football players are often cutting the ball  back behind them or away with the outside of their boot, maybe by just turning their head, but often not even that. It's certainly not the case in real football, as in FM, that 99% of passes are in the exact direction the body is facing, especially in the final third. Same for shots in the box. This again limits the creativity and incision of attacking play.

3) defenders pressing as a group all press the exact same spot, meaning that you sometimes get  these bizarre things of 3 defenders chasing the attacker in a tight conga line. But in real football, if  defenders trust each other at all, you'll have one press the front of the player with the ball while one or two others cut off his options by going behind or to his side. Having some code to having a "covering press" when multiple players are pressing the same ball-carrier would stop the current situation where highly defensive, low-skill teams can dominate possession just by passing it around their back line, with the pressers chasing after one space at a time.

4) generally, first touch and pass accuracy under pressure are too high for weak players under immediate pressure. You very rarely see an actually misplaced pass or fudged first touch - everything is either perfect control and accuracy, or panicking and kicking the ball out of play. Need a much more nuanced approach to the effect of pressure and panic on ball-retention.

These aren't really "bugs" to be fixed, just things the engine needs to be more sophisticated to deal with in order to look more like real football and reward high skill and tactical specificity.

I agree with this, it's a matter of evolving the ME allong the years. Also, in todays football, it's important that one of the full backs stays a bit back when the ball is on the other side, Guardiola does this these days.