Sports Interactive Community

Hello everyone I wanted to ask what is this name? For God's sake, you guys suck at choosing names, but at the same time you're so funny. In Portugal nobody is called Hermenegildo. Nobody is born and the parents say "how beautiful, my son will be called hermenegildo" neither here nor in china. Sardinha in Portugal is the name of a fish.
Search google ... but I believe that at least there is still someone with that nickname. Now, Hermenegildo doesn't

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_3.png

Edited by fabiogabriel

Just off the top of my head, Hermenegildo González was a Galician count in the 10th century Kingdom of León, tenente in Deza, and the ancestor of one of the most relevant Galaico-Portuguese lineages of the Early Middle Ages. I could be wrong though.

Coincidentally it's the name I've got lined up for my first son, if I ever have one. 

Edited by Bry

Names go in cycles, old names return and gets popular again. Also, people are naming their kids all sorts of names these days. Why would this be strange, really? It would be awful if the name generator only took current popular names for each country. Imagine 15 generations of newgens all named from the 100 most popular names at the creation of the database.

Besides, surnames might come from any nation, his parents might be immigrants from a country where Sardinha is normal. Or they might have just decided to take a new surname based on their love for sardines.

There are people with the name Hermenegildo if you do search on google, there is even an Angolan football player.

Despite Sardinha be in fact a name of a fish, its quite a common surname in Portugal.

Anyway, you could always set him a nickname! :)

In the UK we have plenty of people with the surname of a fish name including the name Fish itself. Some examples:

Sturgeon, Salmon, Trout, Pike, Bream, Bass, Pollock, Spratt, Ray, Whale, Haddock, Perch etc

You can't blame SI

You can blame parents for first names, history for surnames

What is noticeable in the screen shot is that the lad is  only 17 and yet is bald. Haircut or heritage?

Hermenegildo is actually a fairly common name in some Portuguese-speaking countries, particularly Angola and Mozambique. According to this, at least 100,000 parents said after their child was born, "How beautiful, my son will be called Hermenegildo."

3 hours ago, Karnack said:

Names go in cycles, old names return and gets popular again. Also, people are naming their kids all sorts of names these days. Why would this be strange, really? It would be awful if the name generator only took current popular names for each country. Imagine 15 generations of newgens all named from the 100 most popular names at the creation of the database.

Besides, surnames might come from any nation, his parents might be immigrants from a country where Sardinha is normal. Or they might have just decided to take a new surname based on their love for sardines.

It does annoy me a little when I see England internationals in the 2030s with names like Nigel, Clive, Norman, Ken, Trevor, etc... but I understand where you're coming from. Some 'old' boys' names like Arthur and Jasper have started to come back into fashion, so it does happen.

It would be a shame if, say, we eventually ended up with an FM game database where there were 1,000 Jordans or Callums in the UK but not one Fred or Peter.

Edited by CFuller

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

It does annoy me a little when I see England internationals in the 2030s with names like Nigel, Clive, Norman, Ken, Trevor, etc... but I understand where you're coming from. Some 'old' boys' names like Arthur and Jasper have started to come back into fashion, so it does happen.

It would be a shame if, say, we eventually ended up with an FM game database where there were 1,000 Jordans or Callums in the UK but not one Fred or Peter.

Yup, I agree it's a bit annoying but it would be very strange any other way as well. Currently one of the more popular names in Sweden is Axel, when I grew up only old people was named Axel ;) 

Does Hermenegildo  Sardinha translate into an English name of Herman Sardine?

If so, that's a great name!

Edited by Grifty

One thing that's weird in this game is the player often doesn't have the appropriate ethnicity for their name which I didn't notice so much in previous versions.

The Fm Facegen is terrible still.. you won't hear me dissing the game much as I try and be constructive with my criticism, but the facegen is clearly far behind where it could and should be.. simple issues with ethnicity and bald 15 year olds with full grown beards should not be happening...

Sardinha is the 383rd most common surname in Portugal, and, on average, there will be one person with the surname Sardinha per 3,008 people in Portugal. There are more people with the Sardinha surname in Angola and Brazil, both of which are former Portuguese colonies, than in Portugal itself. Cite: https://forebears.io/surnames/sardinha

People named Hermenegildo with Wikipedia pages:

Hermenegildo Anglada Camarasa, Spanish painter
Hermenegildo Capelo, Portuguese explorer
Hermenegildo da Costa Paulo Bartolomeu, Angolan football (soccer) player
Hermenegildo Galeana, Mexican war hero
Hermenegildo González, Galician count
Hermenegildo Sábat, South American caricaturist
Hermenegildo Villanueva, Filipino politician

8 hours ago, CFuller said:

Hermenegildo is actually a fairly common name in some Portuguese-speaking countries, particularly Angola and Mozambique. According to this, at least 100,000 parents said after their child was born, "How beautiful, my son will be called Hermenegildo."

'Fred' is Brazilian :lol:

12 minutes ago, Snorks said:

I meant British Freds, of course. ;)

So Fred Flintstone does not count?

18 minutes ago, Snorks said:

So are Walter and Malcolm.

ETA: Actually it's Malcom, not Malcolm.

Edited by Ron Wandle

8 minutes ago, KUBI said:

So Fred Flintstone does not count?

With that pace, heading ability and tackling - no he never counted.

BamBam however was an awesome Ball Winning Midfielder.

believe me, i agree with everything you said.
Sardinha is normal, and it is common in Portugal, but the funny thing is to join two names like that.
But as I said, it is very funny how they invent each name for the players created by the game.

But yes, they should improve the look of the players created by the game. I go to my 3rd season with Leeds United and see if any more funny names appear.

Ps: it is because of this, that I love this community. You are the greatest.

Edited by fabiogabriel

There are some other crazy names around like "Opfermann" which would translate into "victim-man" or "sacrifice-man" but they exist - i googled for it too...

There are 10 players in the database from nations with Portuguese influence who have this first name. And 10 with the surname Sardinha. I am not sure if this is how it works now, but it used to be the case that regen names were pulled from names already in the database. Which explains this guy. Blame the parents of these 21 people involved in professional football for the name of your regen!

On 29/01/2020 at 13:22, MrPompey said:

In the UK we have plenty of people with the surname of a fish name including the name Fish itself. Some examples:

Sturgeon, Salmon, Trout, Pike, Bream, Bass, Pollock, Spratt, Ray, Whale, Haddock, Perch etc

You can't blame SI

You can blame parents for first names, history for surnames

What is noticeable in the screen shot is that the lad is  only 17 and yet is bald. Haircut or heritage?

Pedantic comment alert:

A whale is not a fish.

Thanks, I'll get my coat.

2 minutes ago, toiletfootball said:

Pedantic comment alert:

A whale is not a fish.

Thanks, I'll get my coat.

haha :)  Looking at your forum name I guess the same could apply to a brown trout ;)

13 hours ago, Etebaer said:

There are some other crazy names around like "Opfermann" which would translate into "victim-man" or "sacrifice-man" but they exist - i googled for it too...

Opfer is from the same root as "offer". Opfermann is apparently a occupational name for a churchwarden, one who took the collection (offerings) in church.

Now Luís Boa Morte... means "famous warrior good death".

There are Portuguese people with that name, not many tho.^^

Edited by Mawka

On 30/01/2020 at 23:02, Ron Wandle said:

Opfer is from the same root as "offer". Opfermann is apparently a occupational name for a churchwarden, one who took the collection (offerings) in church.

Now Luís Boa Morte... means "famous warrior good death".

There is a player with Luis Boa Morte, but his father already had the same name.
But it is funny. The father was an excellent player by the way.

1 minute ago, fabiogabriel said:

There is a player with Luis Boa Morte, but his father already had the same name.
But it is funny. The father was an excellent player by the way.

Yes, I believe it exists, but tell me who in 2020 has a child with that name.
Hence it is funny. Because it could be with another nickname, but when adding Sardine, it was even funnier xD