Sports Interactive Community
Lurking Manager

What Do Yo Look For In A Striker?

Personally I’ll look at his Bravery, Anticipation, Composure and Decisions before I look at his technical stats. I’m very hesitant to purchase strikers who aren’t at least a 12 in Bravery and the above stats, even if their finishing or first touch is above average. 

My Head of Youth Development purchased a wonder kid from Argentina, but his Bravery, Anticipation, Compuate and Decisions aren’t the best (between 8-11 for all of them. Bravery being the lowest). He did fine in the first half of the season but would get nervous in big games and began to miss absolute sitters. His form just tanked in the second half of the season no matter how many chances I gave him. I ended up loaning him out to a second division side and it seems to have helped him. 

My scouts always report back with these wonderkid strikers but I don’t want to pull the trigger if their Bravery and Composure are low. Is there a way to improve those attributes or are they pretty much set in stone?

It really depends on the setup I'm using, but I always look for a striker who is clearly built for a specific role, e.g. if I play a classic 4-4-2 I like to have a traditional big+quick combo, so a target man with strong physicals and a pacy poacher focused on finishing and not much else.

9 hours ago, JB22 said:

As a Palace fan, we look for the following:

High injury proneness; 

A head shaped like a 50p to add that real magic and intrigue every time they go to head the ball, so you really  never know where it's going to go;

A player trait of 'Attempts to shoot at goal and puts the ball out for a throw in';

Ridiculously high wages;

Finally, scouting reports that have the following recommendation - Currently operating at a League Two level. Has the potential to break the record for the longest period without scoring a goal.

Where can I find such fine specimens lol 

6 hours ago, kingjericho said:

It really depends on the setup I'm using, but I always look for a striker who is clearly built for a specific role, e.g. if I play a classic 4-4-2 I like to have a traditional big+quick combo, so a target man with strong physicals and a pacy poacher focused on finishing and not much else.

My main tactic is a 4-3-3. I have an absolute gem in the center playing as a Complete Forward (a) with a striker on the left that plays as a DLF(s) and an AF on the right. 

I have to tinker with the striker on the left because he’s more suited to the DLF role but he’s consistently getting ratings between 6.4-6.8. I switched him to an AF because he doesn’t have high creativity but is high on finishing. Target Man may be worth a shot just to get him more involved.

I've always been a fan of Complete Forwards, albeit hard to find unless you are top teams.

I generally like my striker to be well rounded with an emphasis on finishing so that he can be a threat regardless of where and how the ball comes. In FM19 I've developed Luca Pellegri to be a beast.

Off the ball is vital imo and then composure,balance,acceleration

Pace & acceleration as I play deep defensive football and counter quickly and direct.

Don't look to much beyond those Artitbutes due to the level Im playing at you cant have it all

3 hours ago, Lexis said:

I've always been a fan of Complete Forwards, albeit hard to find unless you are top teams.

I generally like my striker to be well rounded with an emphasis on finishing so that he can be a threat regardless of where and how the ball comes. In FM19 I've developed Luca Pellegri to be a beast.

I just discovered the beauty of a Complete Forward so I know what you mean. I have a striker who fits that exact description but I don’t know how to 2 Complete Forwards would work off each other. 

14 minutes ago, thehig2 said:

Pace & acceleration as I play deep defensive football and counter quickly and direct.

Don't look to much beyond those Artitbutes due to the level Im playing at you cant have it all

Does that mean you don’t play with an attacking midfielder? What role do you have that lone striker as? 

2 hours ago, Egecann said:

Why balance?

Height.

God knows why but I love a mobile 6'6" striker.

On FM19 managed to find a 6'7" Brazilian striker with 20s for almost all stats required for Complete Forward.

I recall a story about Bill Shankly, the legendary Scottish manager of Liverpool in the 60s and 70s.  He was taking a training session and had spent some time coaching the defenders and midfielders giving them instructions.  He was asked by a young forward when the strikers were going get their coaching and he replied "start by putting the ball in the net, laddie and we will talk about the details later"  Sums it up really.

I have Mbappe. Game done. But in FM19 Pietro Pellegri was a beast. Wait 5 years, he becomes a world beater (goals and the bank if you get him.) But in 20 Pellegri isn't as good. 

But for a new striker (first choice) I need:

Attributes:

Complete forward attributes, > 15 for most if not all

Scout Report:

5 stars potential

Age <25

5 hours ago, Grifty said:

Height.

God knows why but I love a mobile 6'6" striker.

On FM19 managed to find a 6'7" Brazilian striker with 20s for almost all stats required for Complete Forward.

I just found a CB who’s that tall lol 

@6Times What club is he with in FM19? Pellegri?

From the visible attributes, depending on which:

Off the Ball, Strength, Jumping Reach, Heading, etc. for the Target Man type.

Off the Ball, Pace, Acceleration, Dribbling, Flair for the creative type who carves chances himself.

Off the Ball, pace, Acceleration, Anticipiation, Composure, Balance for the poachery type.

Why no finishing? Because the chance matters more than the player who has it. There is and should be a difference, however what makes a great Forward is him consistently getting into good Shooting positions -- and taking those shots. This translated to FM as well; simply buying a superior "finisher" and sticking him into the existing System has never been a long-term fix for repeat, systematic finishing Problems on any release. Likewise, there's a reason why plenty Players get fairly average Forwards scoring fairly consistently. 

Edited by Svenc

On 27/01/2020 at 00:40, Lurking Manager said:
On 26/01/2020 at 22:26, Egecann said:

Why balance?

Because he needs to be on his foot while shooting. 

1 hour ago, Egecann said:

Because he needs to be on his foot while shooting. 

Lol good point. I always related that attribute to just dribbling, didn’t think it mattered much for other aspects.

On 26/01/2020 at 19:23, Lurking Manager said:

I just found a CB who’s that tall lol 

@6Times What club is he with in FM19? Pellegri?

AS Monaco. Already expensive at beginning of game to buy. More realistic to wait a few years, have Monaco develop him for you, swoop in with 90 million or so and get him. Also, there is a player named Willem Geubbels who has similar potential. Also Monaco.

I'm currently managing in the Welsh Premier League and currently looking for anyone with around an 8 or more in at least five areas :seagull: which areas they are I do not care.

Obviously, things are different depending on what type of team I play, but when I'm a title chasing side with a creative midfield, I play with a lone striker. Caveat here is that I'm still playing FM18. 

What I want from my striker is to keep popping up in front of the goalkeeper. My wingers and AMC tend to be good enough to do their own thing, they don't need support from the front man. Absolutely imperative for me are Composure, Off the Ball, Determination, Anticipation. Quickness (both attributes, where I will weight acceleration a bit higher), first touch, technique, dribbling are also very useful since he's a lone striker. Finishing is pretty secondary, as is strength. 

I added screenshots for my Universidad de Chile striker Javier Urbina. You can see that he is no world-beater in terms of attributes, but his mentals means he gets into so many scoring positions that even with 5 finishing he'd be a 'goal a game' striker. It's not just in the league either, he was fantastic in continental competition too.

urbinacareer.png

urbinastats.png

I look for the same things I look in all players. The first is height I like my Strikers to be at least 6'0 tall. (I will make exceptions for exceptionally skilled 5'10") after that I want good finishing and heading (at least 12 in each) I like Speed and strength (again at least 12) and decisions, Workrate, and teamwork of at least 10. With as much pace and acceleration as possible. A passing rating of 10 plus is a plus in my book.

I tend to look for Complete Forwards because I often play a 4-2-3-1 Wide Formation.

On 26/01/2020 at 17:44, Lexis said:

I bought pellegri in FM2019 and he was a beast for me too.

Can't believe you guys are slating Pellegrini in FM20 - he's still a beast.

8 minutes ago, Geordieboy52 said:

Can't believe you guys are slating Pellegrini in FM20 - he's still a beast.

Pellegri? I think we’re all in agreement he’s still a beast.

46 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

Pellegri? I think we’re all in agreement he’s still a beast.

I've got confused with two different threads - could have sworn that there was someone saying that he was not as good as last year.  Oops

Edited by Geordieboy52