The Toure de France!

Tikka Mezzala

25611366410F382A05A8DDAC4BA00EA1E86545E2 (1366×768)

ASEC_Mimosas.png.d381c29ffc232124cf52312810be8056.png

Humble Beginnings

The Félix-Houphouët-Boigny International Airport in the Ivorian capital, Abidjan, was the scene of chaos earlier this morning, as thousands of eager football fans turned up to catch a glimpse of former Ivory Coast international defender Kolo Toure. Toure, 38, jetted in to the sweltering heat of West Africa to confirm his appointment as the new head coach of ASEC Mimosas. The move comes as a shock to many, given the relative obscurity of the Ivorian league, as well as the fact that Toure had recently joined up with Brendan Rodgers at Leicester City as part of the backroom team. Speaking ahead of the official confirmation, Mimosas' president Roger Ouegnin hailed Toure as a "national hero" who would help make the next generation of Ivorian footballers as good as Toure's own contemporaries - a tall task, indeed.

ASEC have won 11 titles in 13 years

It was with ASEC Mimosas that Toure's career began in the late 90's, before he made the switch to Arsenal where he would become a member of the 'Invincibles' in his first season with the club. His brother Yaya Toure and many more of the country's renowned stars came through the youth ranks at ASEC, and Kolo will no doubt he hoping that the club's famous production line will keep churning out quality young players as he looks to live up to the club president's wishes. 

Toure's appointment will no doubt be viewed as a hugely positive one across the continent, where many of the top clubs and national teams look to European managers to bring them success. Indeed, Toure's predecessor was Frenchman Julien Chevalier, and another Frenchman, Jean-Christophe Gratecap, is in charge of the second biggest side in the country, Africa Sports. But things appear to be changing for the better, as the current Ivory Coast national team manager is from the country and most of the clubs in the Ivorian top flight have also opted for local coaches. The addition of Toure to the league will no doubt boost the number of Ivorians trying their hand at coaching, and this could make for a brighter future in which the Ivory Coast not only exports players to the top leagues around the world, but also its more talented coaches.

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Image result for Kolo Toure Press conference

The Official Presentation

Having jetted in to Abidjan yesterday to finalise his appointment, Kolo Toure faced the media for the first time as manager of ASEC Mimosas. In a packed press-room, the 38 year old faced questions about his decision to leave a well-paid role in English football for a fraction of the money in the Ivorian ligue 1, his ambitions ahead of the new season, and the possibility of linking up with his brother Yaya down the line. 

To the first of these questions, Toure left little room for doubt about where his priorities lie: "I've been very fortunate to make a comfortable living from football. I know that there are many people in this country and elsewhere that aren't so fortunate, and so I'd like to give a little back. My decision to come here is both sentimental and based on footballing reasons. I have a lot of affection for Mimosas, as they gave me the chance to go to Arsenal and begin my career at the top of world football. So I feel I owe a lot to them. But I also see this as a great opportunity to begin my career as my own man in football management. So far, in Scotland and England, I've worked under Brendan Rodgers, from whom I've learned so much. But I feel ready to leave the classroom and put what I've learned to the test. Money isn't the important factor; having the chance to manage a great club is always going to be the motivation for me."

Toure spent a short-time at Celtic as part of Brendan Rodger's coaching team, having initially joined on a playing contract, and he followed the Irishman to Leicester City in the middle of last season. His admiration for his former manager at Liverpool is clear whenever he speaks about their time together, but when asked about who the biggest influence throughout his career has been, the Ivorian superstar is unequivocal in his answer: "Arsene Wenger. He was like a footballing father to me when I joined Arsenal. It's such a tough thing, to leave your home in Africa and go to somewhere like London, where you don't know many people. But Arsene was always there to make you feel at home. As a young player, I don't think there are many better managers to work under. You are constantly learning from him, and the faith he has in the young players he works with is unbelievable."

Image result for Kolo Toure Press Wenger

Toure was part of the famous 'invincibles' side that captured the imagination of fans of the beautiful game in the 2003/4 season, and there will no doubt be an underlying expectation that he will emulate parts of Wenger's tactical approach having worked under the Frenchman for the best part of 7 years. This is something the Ivorian doesn't deny, though he is keen to stress that he doesn't want to be seen as a 'disciple' of any previous manager he has worked under: "Yes, I will take many things from the managers I've had in my career. It will be important to use my experience. It would be silly to work under someone like Arsene and disregard all of the knowledge that you've accrued. Tactically, I think he was ahead of his time. The way we played in the early days of my time with Arsenal was joyous. It would be wonderful to bring that sort of joy to the field with ASEC, but things will be done my way. Football has evolved since I was a player and I think it's important to evolve with it as a coach. I'll look at the tools available here and apply some of the principles I believe in to the team, and hopefully we can go very far together."

ASEC Mimosas will be expected to win Ligue 1, and there has already been rumours linking the club with one of Toure's former international team-mates, Gilles Yapi Yapo. The former Young Boys midfielder is a free agent, and it is believed that Toure's influence will help lure him back to Abidjan as Mimosas look to reclaim the title from SO Armee. 

F8FE89365F2851AFCC37C5861496C7E142BF7B90 (1366×768)

But one player that won't be returning to the Ivorian capital is the other Toure, Yaya. 

"My brother isn't thinking about returning to Mimosas at the moment, as he is happy playing in China. I'm sure it is going to be constantly spoken about, just as it was when we were both players, but I don't think there's necessarily a chance that we'll link up. Yaya is probably going to finish his career outside the Ivory Coast, and when he retires he wants to try management too. So we're more likely to be competitors than a team. One Toure will hopefully be enough to bring success to Mimosas this season. If not, then maybe they ought to try the other one."

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

The Players That Will Lead Toure's Mimosas To Glory

Image result for asec mimosas

With ASEC Mimosas' ambitious appointment of Kolo Toure confirmed, WorldSoccer.com takes a look at the players who could help the Ivorian legend push for domestic and international success on his return to the African continent. 

BE8595C9F47FA52D1E5145722487D3254F5D3640 (1366×768)

El Hadje Dante has been impressing for the Mimosas academy team, and with first-choice goalkeeper Cisse out of action for a year, the young shot-stopper will likely be given a huge opportunity to establish himself in the first-team. With ASEC short of options between the sticks, it's possible that one of Toure's first forays into the transfer market will be in search of a new keeper. But Dante will be desperate to prove to his new manager that he's a safe pair of hands, and with Toure keen to give opportunities to the club's young players, the stars could be about to align for Dante. 

093B6419068AE40538B92E4F2F41F090B3CE87BD (1366×768)

Aime Kuevidjin has been establishing a reputation of his own in front of Dante in the Mimosas academy team. A fine tackler and strong in the air, Kuevidjin has been tipped to break into the Mimosas first team this season, and with the Ivory Coast's finest ever defender to help him improve his game, we could be about to see a big breakthrough season from the 19 year-old. 

F05E9D94C36DDD3B09A3CA91BF531605BA41C1C6 (1366×768)

Gaoussou Samake spent last season out on loan. After a fruitful 12-months away from the club, he's likely to be Toure's first-choice left-back. Strong defensively, Samake is also a threat at the other end of the pitch, having earned plaudits for his crossing ability while on loan at Racing de Abidjan. A call up to the Ivorian U-23 squad could be on the cards if his loan form can be brought back to ASEC Mimosas. 

BCCA72DCAFE7A08195E098A06699C3538395A78A (1366×768)

Komlan Agbegniandan is considered to be the box-office player in the ASEC Mimosa squad. A Togo international, the winger possesses pace, trickery and an eye for goal, as well as bringing much needed experience to the team. Capable of playing on the right flank or cutting in from the left-hand side, Toure will have to figure out how best to employ Agbegniandan. Much of the team's attacking threat comes from the Togolese star. 

69CEDE359C20D33BFA0877F8A6B009E0B4A901A4 (1366×768)

Salifou Diarrassouba is one of two rising stars from Burkina Faso that ASEC Mimosas have managed to snap up from over the border. The attacking midfielder joined ASEC at 13, and has since been linked with several clubs in Scandinavia and Belgium. A creative spark in the number 10 role, Diarrassouba could be key in implementing the possession oriented system that Toure is thought to favour. Alternatively, he could be sold to a European club and miss out on the Toure-volution. 

FC096B7F0BD2852AEA210543A9951B41AB0202ED (1366×768)

Salif Bagate is capable of being the main man in the Mimosas' attack, but he has never been able to find much consistency throughout his career. At 29, he's one of the elders of the team, and it's likely that he'll be moved on if he doesn't make an immediate impression on the new manager. That being said, Bagate does have an eye for goal and his intelligent off the ball movement could be a crucial component in his team's attacking strategy. There's a feeling of now or never on this one, and it will be an early test of Toure's ability to get the best out of his players. 

E8FEE06D778C6711974A25A47F75D77AA511A87C (1366×768)

Abdoul Tapsoba is the other Burkinabe star of the ASEC academy. His goal-scoring feats for the youth team have turned a lot of heads on the continent and in Europe. Speedy, technically proficient and clinical in front of goal, it's important that Toure convinces the young striker to stick around. With rumours of Egyptian interest mounting, ASEC's resolve may be tested early in the new manager's reign. 

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

Transfer Saga Set to Develop as Mimosas Target Outtara

The dust is just beginning to settle on the streets of Abidjan following the fanfare that greeted Kolo Toure's return to the city. Season ticket sales at ASEC Mimosas are reported to have increased by 60%, and are rising still. The extra cash that this will generate for the club is expected to flow straight into the transfer kitty, and it seems that Toure has wasted no time in choosing where to spend it.

Brahima Outtara has been on the Mimosas radar for at least the past 12 months, and director of football Baky Kone seems to have convinced new manager Toure that the RC Abidjan midfielder is worth the outlay. It's no secret that Mimosas are in need of midfield reinforcements and Outtara fits the profile of what's needed at the club. The only stumbling block is the £150k transfer fee that his club RC Abidjan are believed to be holding out for. 

6210C1B61191367D2C554D861B75420CAE2C5CBF (1366×768)

It's understood that negotiations between the two clubs have been ongoing for the past fortnight, with little progress being made since the middle of last week. But with the sale of Arnaud Akassou to Al-Wakrah, Mimosas are likely to now be able to stump up the cash and proceed with negotiating terms with the player. 

57C03E1CC008B29AED7360DD0C9A09EAFE2EB93A (1366×768)

(Akassou was sold to Qatari side Al-Wakrah for £125k)

The capture of Ouattara would demonstrate serious ambition from ASEC, as they attempt to recapture the Ivorian Ligue 1 title. The RC Abidjan midfielder has been linked with a number of Ligue 2 and Ligue 1 clubs in France, but the pull-factor of Toure could be enough to convince the young midfielder to continue his development in the Ivory Coast before taking the next step to European football. It's unclear what the player's preference is, but one thing seems certain: he will be leaving RC Abidjan this summer. Ouattara is also expected to break into the Ivorian national team during the up coming AFCON qualifiers, so his value is set to grow exponentially. 

With the Ouattara saga set to develop, who else are Mimosas looking at for reinforcements this summer?

F829CD2770B6FD6D3A56E56C744516B559B22A60 (1366×768)

An alternative to Ouattara would be Ibrahima Gramboute. The Stella Club midfielder is considered one of the hottest properties in the Ivorian Ligue 2. With a host of clubs from the Ivorian top flight and some of North Africa's top leagues lurking around the player, Mimosas would have to settle things quickly if they wanted to win the race for Gramboute. 

1EFE23F34734C111159EAFB662B6400D3B9499C6 (1366×768)

Mohamed Sylla is another player that Baky Kone, the ASEC director of football, is said to be keen on. The 17 year-old has a big future ahead of him and a move to ASEC Mimosas would be seen as a logical next step for the young striker as he aims to establish a reputation in his homeland before going on to better things. With a large chunk of the Mimosas budget being put towards the funding of Ouattara, it might be necessary for some more players to leave the club before Sylla could be sought. But this is another one to watch over the summer as word on the ground is Mimosas want to reinforce their striking options. 

Image result for african champions league

ASEC Mimosas Learn CAF Champions League Fate

The draw for the preliminary round of the AFC Champions League took place in Cairo earlier this morning, as the two Ivorian clubs involved in the competition learned their respective fates. San Pedro will be confident of progressing to the first round after they were paired with AS Ali Sabieh of Djibouti. ASEC Mimosas will also be heading into their tie as firm favourites having drawn Wallidan of The Gambia. Both Ivorian sides will play away from home in the first leg. 

For Kolo Toure, the Wallidan tie will mark his first official game in football management, and his first involvement in the African Champions League since lifting the trophy in 1998 as part of the golden generation at ASEC Mimosas. 

Image result for asec mimosas 1998 squad

Speaking after the draw was made, the former Arsenal and Ivory Coast defender insisted his side would take nothing for granted in their tie against The Gambian champions: "We're determined to start the season positively. It's always difficult when you have to play knockout football before the team has had a chance to play competitively in the league. Anything can happen over two legs, and we know how difficult it is to go to other countries and get results. Playing for the Ivory Coast, I experienced this as a player. No matter who you played and how much you were expected to win, the away ties always threw up the chance of an upset. So we'll have to go to The Gambia and fight to avoid this happening to us."

The preliminary round fixture will be the first time Kolo Toure has been involved in the competition since the famous 1998 victory with Mimosas. Toure was only 17 at the time, but he remembers the occasion well and it's one he'd love his players to experience for themselves: "The competition has been dominated by North African teams, so it was great to be part of one of only two teams from the Ivory Coast to win it (the other being Stade D'Abidjan in 1966). I remember feeling that we had a very young team and that would perhaps be problematic, but in the end we had players who were already showing maturity and age proved to be no barrier for success. We have a young team at the moment and I will tell the players not to put too much stock in this. We have talented players who can take the team far into the tournament and we have to work hard to make that happen. I don't think we're going to be considered one of the potential winners of the competition, but that just takes some of the pressure off. These players can surprise people and I'd challenge them to play without fear."

Toure's 1998 heroes were a young group, and that is something that the current squad has in common with them. With an average age of 23, they are one of the youngest squads in the tournament. The faith that the club places in young talent was highlighted recently when the transfer of Ibrahima Gramboute was completed. 

78FCE5C6A5653AB875A72E5CE49A837AF44AD36E (1366×768)

In a deal worth around £120k, the young midfielder arrived from Stella Club in Ligue 2 with a big reputation. But his new manager doesn't want to place too much pressure on his shoulders: "Ibrahima is someone that our scouts have been very keen on. We identified the middle of the park as an area we had to strengthen quickly, and I'm delighted with the haste in which the deal was completed. We're keen to press on with our business in the transfer window, but things will likely take time as we look to strike a balance between the outgoings and incomings. With Ibrahima we went straight out and got things done because we had the money from selling Arnaud (Akassou). I think he's someone who can contribute enormously to the team, but we're not going to rush him. He's young and I would like him to enjoy these years of learning. It's a crucial moment of his career and I think he has made the right choice in coming to ASEC."

Gramboute made his ASEC Mimosas debut off the bench in the friendly win over Lige 2's Sewe FC. 

D0134E6FD60E041D6427FAB95B0E9A8DE40727E8 (1366×768)

Toure's side raced into a three goal lead before the break, but after some sloppy defending in the second half, the Ligue 2 side were able to create some nerves on the away touchline. Despite the late rally, Mimosas recorded the first victory of the Toure era and they'll be hoping to add another when they face Sewe's Ligue 2 rivals Sirocco FC this coming Saturday. 

Toure-volution Begins With Storming of Banjul

A50B6084E789B40A84553C8BCE1F87D95EDB44B1 (1366×768)

The Kolo Toure era at ASEC Mimosas got off to a resounding start as Les Mimos thumped Gambian outfit Wallidan 4-1 in the first leg of their African Champions League qualifier. Two new signings got on the score sheet, including a hat-trick from Ibrahima Gramboute, as the young midfielder stole the show on his Mimosas debut. 

The match took place in the unspectacular surroundings of the Banjul Mini-Stade; a rusty field in the outskirts of the Gambian capital. But that wasn't enough to take the shine off of a glamorous first half performance that saw Mimosas go into the break four goals to the good.

Image result for Banjul Mini stadium

Despite the patchy surface, the emphasis on short, quick passing was clear from Toure's side. Lining up in a 4-2-3-1 shape, as opposed to the 4-4-2 that has been favoured during preseason, Mimosas dominated the ball and forced Wallidan into their own third of the field for long spells. The Gambian sides resistance only lasted four minutes when a deadly cross from Mimosas' winger Pokou N'Guessan found the on-loan Konan N'dri to slot home from close range. The KAS Eupen winger was making his first appearance since joining on loan from the Belgian side and immediately showed what he could bring to the team in the coming season. 

C718DA745E846AB9909CA6AEDB999D3DB63538B4 (1366×768)

With the first goal of the Toure-era registered, it was time for another one of the new manager's signings to step up and steal the limelight. After a poor clearance from the Wallidan defence, Ibrahima Gramboute rifled home a first time volley from the edge of the penalty area in a strike that Kolo Toure's brother, Yaya, would have been proud of. The young midfielder was off the mark for his new club, but was certainly not finished on the day. 

The movement of the Mimosas' front four was causing Wallidan all sort of problems and after another poorly cleared cross, Gramboute found himself with space to curl home another wonderful strike to make it 3-0. If both goals are a sign of what's to come from Gramboute, it won't be long before he's earning himself comparisons with his manager's younger brother. 

Gramboute completed his first-half hat-trick from the penalty spot after Wallidan defender Mendy brought down the menacing N'Guessan, after the winger made a mazy run into the opposition penalty area. The penalty was slotted home with confidence and it surely put the tie beyond Wallidan's powers of recovery. 

90891D9BE2855CDCD69337AFAB3B01EDA79DCF66 (1366×768)

(N'Guessan caused problems for the Wallidan defence all evening, and won the penalty for Gramboute's hat-trick goal)

The second half was much more tepid from Toure's men, and Wallidan did manage to pull a goal back from a corner. But that is unlikely to be enough to make this tie interesting in the second leg in Abidjan next Friday. Speaking after the match Toure expressed his delight with his team's attacking threat: "We have some very good players in our offensive line and I want them to be able to play with the confidence we saw today. When you have players wanting the ball and constantly working to create space for themselves and others, it's always going to be hard for the opposition to deal with you. I am so happy for the new signings who have made an instant impact. We've been able to go out and get our transfer targets so far, and you can see why we were keen to bring them to the club."

N'Dri and Gramboute were the two signings in the squad for the game in The Gambia, but Toure's side managed to pull off a coup by acquiring Brahima Ouattara on an initial loan deal, with an agreement to buy in 12-months time. 

A605BE447912DC34A3D6F9BBE88AF87FBC93382F (1366×768)

Having initially appeared to miss out on the RC Abidjan midfielder, the two clubs were able to come to an agreement that allows ASEC Mimosas to wait a year before putting down the transfer fee Racing Club are looking for. "It's a wonderful piece of business and we have to pay respect to our director of football, Baky Kone, for making this happen. Obviously there are different ways that deals can be structured and it's difficult in African football to put down significant fees up front, so we're happy that Racing Club were reasonable with us and have allowed the player to make the move he desired", Toure stated.

Toure refused to say whether there were any more deals in the pipe line, but he has insisted that he is very happy with the support he has been given by the Mimosas board. "I was brought in to help the club make progress on and off the pitch and the club gave me assurances that I'd be supported financially. They have been true to their word and I believe that makes for a very good working environment."

ASEC Mimosas will play the return leg of their preliminary round tie against Wallidan in Abidjan on Friday the 23rd August. 

African Champions League: ASEC Mimosas 8-0 Wallidan

It was a muggy thirty-two degrees Celsius inside the Stade Felix Houphouet-Boigny, but it would have felt a lot warmer for FC Wallidan's hapless players as they faced a red-hot ASEC Mimosas side intent on finishing the preliminary round tie in style. Having won 4-1 in Banjul a fortnight ago, Les Mimos opted to rest several players ahead of Wednesday's league opener away at Bouake FC, but the changes to the line-up certainly didn't do much to make life easier for their Gambian opponents. 

42,781 people crammed into the Mimosas stadium for Kolo Toure's official homecoming; what a homecoming it proved to be. 

Related image

Lining up in a 4-4-2 formation, and without several key players, ASEC looked to use the width of their home pitch to full advantage, forcing Wallidan to stretch themselves in an attempt to stop the aerial assault. Evidently, their efforts were futile. Mimosas left back Gaoussou Samake and right-winger Adamo Barro provided plenty of ammunition from either flank for front players Bagate and Yessoh to attack. The latter managed to grab himself a hat-trick, while Bagate continued to show that he still has a lot to offer ASEC with a brace. But the person to start the scoring was not one of the forwards. Picking up from where he left off in the first-leg, Ibrahima Gramboute added his fourth goal in two appearances, and it was yet another wonderful strike from outside the area. 

Just as in the first-leg, ASEC found themselves four up before the break, as Barro, Bagate and Yessoh added to Gramboute's opener. Kolo Toure talked in his pre-match press conference of the importance of "ninety minute performances" and the message clearly got through to his players who continued to push for goals in the second half. Yessoh added two more goals after the break to complete his hat-trick, while Bagate and left-winger Dion took the scoreline to 8-0. But in truth, 8-0 flattered Wallidan who were lucky not to be on the end of a record breaking scoreline. 

35248B52062DBBDCF3DB9E3E8FCB150D2CB152EE (1366×768)

(Yessoh staked his claim to be Mimosas' star striker with a wonderful hat-trick)

"We were wonderful this evening", Toure said: "everything about our play was perfect. We could have won five games with the amount of chances we created, and our positional play was excellent. I challenged the players to give me a more complete performance than in the first-leg and they managed it. We showed true professionalism and I'm sure the fans, who came out in great numbers, will have enjoyed every minute of the game."

Mimosas will face Al-Ittihad of Libya in the next round for a place in the group stages. 

1080832FB0C147FB73163AFBF5BBE9CA2D2C52FA (1366×768)

Image result for ivorian ligue 1

Ligue 1: Bouake FC 0-2 ASEC Mimosas

5C948E69488E0A0AE1A01A2B516502734257B602 (1366×768)

Having made light work of Wallidan in their Champions League Preliminary Round tie, ASEC Mimosas began the Ivorian Ligue 1 season with a win against Bouake FC. The game saw manager Kolo Toure ring the changes, with Yves Ablakor, Richmond Opoku, Pokou N'Guessan, Salifou Diarrassouba and Konan N'Dri coming into the team, with all having been rested midweek. 

Bouake set-up with a very narrow 4-3-1-2 formation in an attempt to stop the likes of Gramboute and Diarrassouba getting time and space to create opportunities. But it was the latter who managed to play the defence splitting pass that allowed N'Dri to score his first league goal for the club, and his second goal in as many games. The winger angled his run in behind the opposing full back and finished tidily into the far corner, leaving Guy Ogre in the Bouake goal helpless. 

With very little of the ball, Bouake were unable to threaten much themselves and they spent most of the game trying to keep the scoreline respectable. Their resistance finally gave way on 67 minutes, however, when a floated corner kick from Samake found winger N'Guessan running in to meet it with his head, guiding the ball in off the bar and giving ASEC breathing space. There were some good chances near the end for a third goal, with N'Dri in particular unlucky not to add to his tally. But the two goals was more than enough for Mimosas, and they will now turn their attention to Saturday's match against USC Bassam in their first home league game of the season. 

Toure's post-match comments: 

"We controlled the game from the start and made Bouake work just to stay in it. We analysed their system and learned that they would set up very conservatively, happy to sit in and frustrate us. That's why it's important to get the first goal in these games, because it forces the opposition to have a rethink. Once we got ahead, we could afford not to rush things, knowing that sooner of later Bouake would have to open up and leave more space. In the end, they opted to settle for a narrow loss and we weren't able to add the goals that our play deserved, but 2-0 is a result we'd have been happy with before the game, so we can go away from today content with how things have panned out."

This is how things stand after the first round of fixtures in Ligue 1:

4F18655A674418CEC55864283A00436155CA9BE6 (1366×768)

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

image.jpeg.3efa269f98f5b0c1936cebda54d64c5a.jpeg    Related image

ASEC Mimosas Announce Ivoire Academie Partnership

ASEC Mimosas President, Roger Ouegnin, has today announced the beginning of a new strategic partnership between two of the Ivory Coast's most productive youth academies. Ivoire Academie are a Ligue 2 club that were set-up with the purpose of developing young Ivorian footballers to feed the national team the next generation of stars. The club has a no u-18 player policy, making it the ideal place for young talent to develop with plenty of game time on offer. The facilities at the Ligue 2 side are among the best on the continent, and some of the Ivory Coast's best youth coaches are employed by the club. 

AD21BA36687429D5D0E040E269DED45E39AAD7F2 (1366×768)

The Mimosas club website announced the partnership this morning with a short statement outlining the details:

The club is today delighted to announce the beginning of a new partnership with Ivoire Academie. With both clubs committed to developing young home-grown players, the opportunity to join up and aid each other in these aims presented itself. As part of this new arrangement, ASEC Mimosas will be able to send players from its youth academy on loan to Ivoire Academie, giving our young players the chance to experience first-team football in Ligue 2, as well as benefiting from the coaching system at the club. In return, Mimosas will have a first-refusal on any Ivoire Academy player once a bid has been accepted from another club. This presents an exciting opportunity for the best young players in the Ivory Coast to sign for Mimosas and join a club renowned for its player development. With the two best academies in the country linked in this way, we believe the future of Ivorian football will be much brighter. 

Image result for ivoire academie

It's believed the move was prompted by new manager Kolo Toure, who is keen to increase the reach of Mimosas across West Africa. Speaking to Fifa.com during the summer, Toure outlined his ambitions for Mimosas and what he sees as the opportunity to build a lasting legacy at the club:

"If you look at all the big clubs in Europe, they have built up a network of relationships across the local and international football scene. This allows them to reach further in the search for the brightest young prospects. Arsenal had an agreement with ASEC for a long time and you can see how it benefited them. It's the same with Manchester City and the Right to Dream Academy in Ghana at the moment. I believe that will bear fruit before too long. For us here in Africa, we are used to being at the other end of these relationships. Nowadays a lot of the Qatari and Saudi clubs are looking to expand their reach into Africa. Al-Ain from the UAE have an agreement with Mimosas at the moment. It's something that we are going to be looking at over the coming months, but I'd like to see ASEC become one of the leaders in developing an internal network here in the Ivory Coast and across the West of Africa in general. We've been successful with our scouting network in Burkina Faso so far, so we should try and explore the potential in other place such as Nigera, Togo and Cameroon. 

Image result for Toure coach

The approach that Toure hinted at in his Fifa.com interview seems to have appeal in the ASEC board room, as the link up with Ivoire Academie suggests. It's a very exciting time for the Ivorian giants and with such lofty ambitions present at managerial and board room level, Les Mimos will be hoping to usher in a new era of developing Africa's brightest stars. 

ASEC Mimosas 3-0 USC Bassam

The first domestic home game of the season for Mimosas saw USC Bassam travel north-west to the capital, Abidjan. The away side had started the season brilliantly on Wednesday with a home win against continental football hopefuls, SC Gagnoa. Mimosas, on the other hand, overcame Bouake FC in a comfortable 2-0 win in what was Toure's first league game in charge of his new club. 

The big news in the build up to the match was the debut of Brahima Ouattara. The former RC Abidjan midfielder arrived in July with a big reputation, and he was given his first opportunity to show everyone why Toure wanted to bring him to the club. But the star of the show was 18 year old Burkinabe striker Abdoul Tabsoba, who scored twice in his first start for the club; though the young forward was to spurn the opportunity of a hat-trick from the penalty spot. 

Bassam set up to frustrate their opponents with a flat five in midfield protecting the back four. But with ASEC's wide players in such good form early season, the Bassam game plan failed to stop the menacing N'Guessan from providing Tabsoba with ammunition, and the Burkina Faso youth international was on target either side of half time. Despite missing a penalty in the second half, Mimosas would add a third late on through N'Guessan, after winger N'Dri's blocked shot found the right-sided midfielder in space to tap in the rebound. 

Bassam did manage to test Mimosas' keeper Dante, but it was all too little too late, as Les Mimos added another comfortable three points to their early season tally. With a two week break ahead, Toure will have plenty of time to prepare his team for the crucial African Champions League qualifier against Libyan side Al-Ittihad (Tripoli). Speaking after the game, the Mimosas manager told Sport Afrique: "We're playing with confidence and showing a desire to improve every week. I think we've faced three very different challenges so far this season and we've managed to overcome them all with relative ease. I expect the type of system we faced today will be popular among our opponents, who'll look to snuff out any creativity in the middle of the park. But with wide players like N'Guessan and N'Dri in the side, it will offer us different ways to attack, leaving our opponents guessing as to what approach we'll favour."

7530AAA53A9F9B70AFE815A16D3575579C5D0FEF (1366×768)

49EECBF3C7DD4202FB251FF47753237A2842F188 (1366×768)

CAF Champions League Preview: Al-Ittihad (Lib) v ASEC Mimosas (CIV)

Image result for Al Ittihad libyaRelated image

A place at Africa's top table is at stake for both Al-Ittihad (Tripoli) and ASEC Mimosas as they go head-to-head in the first round of the CAF Champions League. The winner will proceed to the 16-team group stage, whilst the loser drops into the CAF Confederation Cup; Africa's secondary continental tournament. Both sides are considered to be the premier clubs in their respective countries, with 100 trophies between them. All that history makes for a grand occasion, but who will be left standing when the group stage of the Champions League comes around?

Image result for Al Ittihad libya

Al-Ittihad's history in the CAF Champions League reached its zenith in 2007 where they reached the semi-final stage, only to lose to eventual runners up Al-Ahly of Egypt. They followed this up by reaching the semi-finals of the Confederations Cup three years later, but have yet to repeat anything like these impressive performances since. 

The team are managed by Belgian coach Ivan Minnaert, who has chalked up quite a CV across the African continent. Before heading to Libya, the Belgian worked in Mali, Kenya, Guinea, South Africa and Rwanda. 

Image result for ivan minnaert

With mixed success on the continent, Minnaert will be hoping to spruce up his reputation by taking the Libyan side on another adventure in the competition. With plenty of experience to call upon and several Libyan internationals in the squad, there's every chance the Belgian could enjoy his most fruitful season yet. Speaking to the press at the time of the draw for the first round, Minnaert declared his side underdogs and paid tribute to their opponents: "I think we have to acknowledge that we're facing one of the best sides outside of the big leagues here in Africa. With the exception of your North African clubs like Zamalek and ES Tunis, Mimosas are one of the teams that you'd be looking to avoid at this stage of the competition. When you look at the players that regularly emerge from their academy, there's always a chance that you're going to come up against the future Drogba or Toure. With (Kolo) Toure now back at the club as the manager, I think we'll be seeing the re-emergence of Ivorian football at a continental level."

Image result for ASEC Mimosas

ASEC Mimosas will head into the tie with confidence having started the Ivorian Ligue 1 season with two wins from their opening two games. With a 12-1 aggregate score in their preliminary round tie against Wallidan FC of The Gambia also behind them, Kolo Toure's side look ready to explode onto the scene in CAF competitions, but the question is which CAF competition will it be? A trip to Tripoli will test the Ivorian side's credentials as they look to embark upon an adventure of their own in the Champions League. Having failed to add to their 1998 crown, Les Mimos will be hoping the return of club icon Kolo Toure will be the catalyst that awakens the team's international pedigree. 

The former Ivory Coast international defender insists the objective is simply to reach the group stage, but with increased media attention on the club following his appointment, Toure will be expected to perform on the international stage. 

Image result for Kolo Toure Mimosas

Speaking ahead of the tie in Tripoli, Toure insisted his players aren't feeling any extra pressure following his appointment: "I don't see any adverse effects on the players performances. I see a lot of young and hungry players, desperate to impress. There's bound to be more scrutiny when a reputable figure returns to the club and the media start to intensify their focus. But there's always pressure to succeed at ASEC, given they are always expected to succeed in the domestic league and cups."

Image result for Al-Ittihad Libya Stadium

Speaking about the atmosphere in the Tripoli stadium, Toure was adamant that his players would thrive in the intensity of the home crowd: "We have a lot of young players, yes, but these are young players who want to go and play in the biggest games in world football, in Europe and at World Cups with their country. They will view this as an early chance to taste the hostility that greets you when you play with a top team around the world. At Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool, I experienced it often. Everywhere you went people would try and intimidate you. But you have to use that as motivation to keep yourself at the top."

The first leg is due to be played at the Tripoli Stadium on September 13th, with the second leg in Abidjan on September 28th. 

Les Mimos Put One Foot in Groups Stages

ASEC Mimosas overcame a raucous atmosphere in Tripoli and put one foot into the group stages of the CAF Champions League. Goals from Bagate and Wilfriend Yessoh sealed the first-leg victory before half-time. The result puts Mimosas in the driving seat ahead of the return fixture in Abidjan at the end of the month. 

The teams emerged from the tunnel to a wall of noise as the Tripoli locals tried to intimidate the young Mimosas players. But the atmosphere seemed to inspire rather than frighten Toure's men, who controlled proceedings from the first whistle. 

With Bagate and Yessoh paired together for the first time since the Wallidan fixture, the ASEC wide men had plenty to aim at in the penalty area with their deliveries. Both goals came from crosses into the box from either flank, with Bagate and Yessoh showing great instinct to get on the end of them before the defence could react. 

Another stand out performer on the night was Claude Singone. The central midfield player has been an ever-present in the Mimosas team since Kolo Toure arrived and he showed exactly why with a dominating performance in the middle of the field. With Al-Ittihad playing with three central players, it was important that the midfield two of ASEC battled to avoid being overrun. Singone's positional play and his reading of the game allowed Mimosas to build a solid foundation for their attacks. 

1EA90C5C9AED1D7C38E5A0238EE7B253B25B9CAF (1366×768)

Speaking after the match, Kolo Toure warned against complacency in the second leg. But it's clear the Ivorian manager was delighted by the way his young team handled the occasion: "There was over 60,000 people here today making a lot of noise. That's not easy to deal with. But I said before the game that these players will thrive in this atmosphere and that's exactly what happened. I'm so proud of them. To come here and control the game like that took balls. It's important that we don't get ahead of ourselves and keep focused in the next leg. Al-Ittihad are a quality team and they'll certainly not go down without a fight."

81108BFC5B5BD0BDBE04EE3B638C312053641590 (1366×768)

ASEC Mimosas 2-0 San Pedro

Both managers played down the significance of this early season fixture, but there's no denying that both viewed it as an opportunity to lay down an early marker in the Ligue 1 title race. San Pedro were dubbed the bookies' favourites at the start of the campaign, and their start to the season has vindicated the bookmakers' early season predictions. But Mimosas themselves have been impressive so far. With a comfortable win in Tripoli the week before, there was no shortage of confidence in Les Mimos heading into this one. 

San Pedro were keen to frustrate their opponents and just like those who've gone before them, they failed to do so for very long. Mimosas' winger Sede Dion managed to hammer home from a tight angle having been found by a Samake cut-back on the 12 minute mark. Ten minutes later Pokou N'Guessan was the recipient of Samake's cross, heading home from about 12 yards. San Pedro were rattled, but they recovered their composure to avoid letting Mimosas increase their advantage. Roland Zan Bi had a golden opportunity to bring his side back into the game just before the break, but it was a tame effort in the end. That was all that San Pedro could muster in attack, as the early season advantage swings the way of ASEC Mimosas. 

959652713CE3720CDB7E2A9695FEF1F05B5E2548 (1366×768)

Kolo Toure's 4-4-2 System Explained

Fans of African football will be excited to see one of the biggest names in African Sport back on the continent. Kolo Toure's return to ASEC Mimosas got the football world talking, and many of his followers were keen to see how the big Ivorian would set up his team tactically. This article will take a quick look at the 4-4-2 system that Toure has employed in the club's CAF African Champions League qualifiers against Al-Ittihad and Wallidan FC. 

image.thumb.png.f0af3016cc78c80cb632d7b3e23c4da6.png

The first thing that comes to mind when you hear 'Toure' and '4-4-2' mentioned in the same sentence is Arsene Wenger's invincible side, of which Toure was a part. Indeed, one thing certainly seems to have be inspired by his time at Arsenal and that is the dynamic of the front men. The pairing of Dennis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry will forever be remembered as one of the most exciting partnerships in Premier League history. The pace of Henry and the creative genius of Bergkamp terrorised English defences, and it seems as though Toure has tried in some respects to emulate this style of partnership at ASEC Mimosas. Pacey striker Wilfried Yessoh and the veteran of the side Salif Bagate have linked up superbly so far this season, with the latter dropping deeper in an attempt to get on the ball and make things happen. Both players have been on the score sheet regularly so far, and the experiment seems to be paying off for Toure. 

On the right-hand side of midfield, Poukou N'Guessan has proven to be a revelation this season. Whether it's delivering inviting balls for the front men or scoring himself, the winger has excelled in Toure's system. Asked to stay wide and push higher up, N'Guessan has stretched backlines and left fullbacks on their backsides; entertaining the Mimosas supporters along the way. On the other side of the field, however, both Sede Dion and Konan N'Dri have been asked to drift inside and allow left wing back Samake to overlap and provide width. This is one of the innovations of Toure, as his Arsenal team tended to play with two wingers, rather than with an inverted wide man. 

In the middle of the field, Claude Singone has been asked to sit, covering the left flank when Samake pushes forward. The other central midfield player, whether it be Gramboute or Diarrassouba usually drops into the half space on the right, providing underlapping runs for winger N'Guessan. 

At right back, Yves Ablakor has been asked to tuck in and provide an extra body in the middle of the park. Sitting alongside Singone, the in-possession shape of ASEC becomes more like a 2-2-3-3. 

image.thumb.png.46281a76f208b028f47f5b1ac793845c.png

When out of possession, the defensive shape is a typical two banks of four, with one of the strikers dropping deeper to help out if needed. 

So far this system has proven to be very effective for Toure's ASEC Mimosas side. Time will tell if it can bring them silverware and continental success. 

AFAD Djekanou 0-4 ASEC Mimosas

In a sell-out crowd of 20,000, 14,000 away fans crammed into the Stade Robert Champroux for ASEC Mimosas' game against Djekanou. 

Image result for stade robert champroux

The hosts came into the game a picture of inconsistency, with a win, a draw and a defeat from their opening three. Mimosas, on the other hand, were looking to keep their perfect run going this season, with the title contenders yet to blink. 

With the return leg of their crucial Champions League qualifier to come, Toure opted to rest several key players for the trip north. Bagate and Yessoh were left out, giving Agbate the chance to lead the line. Gramboute made way for Diarrassouba; whilst Ouattara came in for only his second start since his summer move from RC Abidjan. 

The first half was a tepid affair, as Mimosas struggled to break down the Djekanou rear-guard. Some half chances fell the way of N'Dri and Agbate, but neither were able to convert. A half time change of shape seemed to do the trick, however, as Mimosas ran riot in a 45 minute blitz. N'Guessan kept his terrific form going with the opening goal on 55 minutes, heading home Samake's teasing ball. A carbon copy of the first goal arrived on 68 minutes, only this time it was substitute Agbegniandan filling in for N'Guessan at the back post. On 85 minutes the omnipresent Claude Sangone scored his first goal for ASEC Mimosas, rifling home a loose ball from 12 yards out, after Djekanou failed to clear a corner kick. Salif Bagate came off the bench late on to slot home a penalty kick in injury time, and round off a comfortable 4-0 win for the away side. 

"The first half was too slow from us", Toure said. "We know we have to work on our 4-2-3-1 shape, because the players weren't dynamic enough using it today. Once we went back to 4-4-2 things started to happen. I'd be looking for more from certain players, though. I want us to have that flexibility because it could be important down the line. We were terrific second half. That's undeniable."

Mimosas will now turn their attention to Saturday's CAF Champions League qualifier against Libyan giants Al-Ittihad, with the aggregate score sitting at 2-0 in their favour. 

ABDC24810E8F726F2D5D245FEDC2F436C469B78D (1366×768)

33 minutes ago, tyler16 said:

Bookmarked to catch up with later but this has been an excellent read so far.

Love saves in unusual countries with lots of detail.

I appreciate it, mate. I like to take it slower and enjoy every match. It might take a bit longer to get to the end of the season and see what has been accomplished, but you can only win things one game at a time. I'm hoping the development of the manager becomes clearer this way. 

ASEC Mimosas 1-0 (3-0 agg) Al-Ittihad (LIB)

Having done much of the hard work in Tripoli a fortnight ago, ASEC Mimosas simply had to avoid defeat to guarantee a place in the group stages of the 2019/20 CAF Champions League. Al-Ittihad head-coach, Ivan Minnaert, conceded before the game that his side faced an elephant-sized task in overcoming the first-leg deficit, but he insisted that lessons had been learned from the first match and he wanted to see how his team could measure up to the occasion. 

The Libyans abandoned their 4-2-3-1 shape in favour of a 5-3-2, with wing backs providing width. Mimosas lined up in their familiar 4-4-2 shape, with Gramboute coming back into the side in the heart of midfield, and Bagate and Yessoh reuniting in the front-line. 

The change of shape certainly helped Al-Ittihad to enjoy more of the ball than they did in the first-leg, but they were unable to do anything with it. Mimosas, on the other hand, used the ball well and looked to get their wide players into the game at every opportunity. N'Guessan, who penned a new three year contract mid-week, caused all sorts of problems down the Ittihad left, while Samake provided his usual overlapping runs from left-fullback. 

It only took the hosts 14 minutes to break the deadlock and give themselves a 3 goal cushion in the tie. Gramboute managed to find himself space just outside the Ittihad penalty area, and with the Libyans slow to close him down, he rifled home a low shot into the bottom corner. It was the young-Ivorian's fifth goal of the season.

Despite creating further chances, the one goal could not be added to in the second half. But that won't bother manager Kolo Toure who now leads his side into the Champions League proper. Speaking to the Abidjan Times post-match, Toure insisted he's excited to pit his team against the best on the continent: "I am so happy to come through this tie; a difficult tie that could have gone either way, given the closeness of the teams in terms of quality. We set ourselves the target of reaching the group stage, and now we've done that. All of us look forward to the draw. It will be fantastic to see what sort of teams we will come up against. I think we'll give anyone a difficult game."

Toure's side will now turn their attention to Wednesday's Coupe de Cote d'Ivoire second round tie against FC Djide. 

CBC701202A50DE2625827B544764D479BDA0D1F2 (1366×768)

World Soccer's African Champions League Preview

Image result for The CAF African Champions League 2019

The CAF Champions League is Africa's premier club competition. It's an opportunity for each participating team to carve their name into the continent's footballing history. It's also an opportunity for the players involved to demonstrate their skills and perhaps win a move to one of Europe's top leagues. Always colourful, always exhilarating; this year's tournament promises to be another thrilling spectacle for the lovers of the beautiful game in Africa.

The qualification rounds have already seen 48 teams eliminated, leaving us with 16 hopefuls in the group stages. 9 nations are represented among the 16 teams, including a first ever group stage appearance by a team from Burkina Faso. 

Ahead of the opening round of matches in November, World Soccer takes a look at the four groups and analyses the teams involved. 

Group A

51ECE6DFC9CB2909C32156F840694167AB472DFC (1366×768)

Image result for salimata et tasere fc

Group A contains the only new-comer to the competition: Salitas FC of Burkina Faso. The Burkinabe side are national trail blazers, becoming the first club from the country to qualify for the group stages of the tournament. Their path to this stage was uncharacteristically kind, with them having avoided any of the big hitters in qualification. But their luck seems to have abandoned them at the group stages as they find themselves pitted against three North African powerhouses. 

It will be a steep learning curve for the Salitas players, none of whom have any experience of playing in the tournament. But if they are going to find inspiration from somewhere, it is likely to come from key player Samuel Amoto. The Ghanaian winger was instrumental in their qualification ties against sides from Reunion and Cape Verde. Amoto has stated his desire to play for one of the top sides in his home nation, so the CAF Champions League group stage should provide the perfect platform for the winger to show Ghanaian clubs what they're missing.

BC24655BD0BD793940ECE4239EB80542F679C36A (1366×768)

image.jpeg.772405748a4f4b1f29991358ea39074f.jpeg

Egyptian giants Al Ahly are Africa's most decorated football club. They hold the current record for most Champions League successes with 8; as well as standing out on their own in the Egyptian Premier Division with 40 titles. It's a club that are to African football, what Real Madrid are to European football. That being said, it has been 6 years since Al Ahly last got their hands on the trophy, having lost two finals in 2017 and 2018. But this year could very well see them return to the top with Swiss tactician Rene Weiller at the helm. 

Key to the Egyptian champion's hopes is midfielder Saleh Gomaa. An Egyptian international, he is the creative heart of Weiller's side. With plenty of quality round about him, there will be big things expected of Gomaa, who has been tipped to make his move to Europe in the near future. 

F40F0A229D392E9CC1AA58A72FD347B1711AE086 (1366×768)

Related image

ES Sahel bring a lot of history of their own to Group A. One of the most successful teams in Tunisia, Sahel have managed to lift the CAF Champions League once, in 2007. That victory happened to come against group rivals Al Ahly. Prior to their 2007 success, Sahel had lost their only two previous finals in 2004 and 2005, the latter coming against...yep, you guessed it, Al Ahly. It will be fascinating to see whether old wounds will be reopened when the Egyptian and Tunisian sides go head to head on match day two. 

The current star of Sahel is Venezuelan midfielder Darwin Gonzalez. The South American has managed to score 5 goals in his 8 appearances so far this season. Usually deployed on the left wing, Gonzalez can play anywhere across the attacking midfield strata. A recent arrival in North Africa, the Venezuelan was the star of his previous club Deportivo La Guaira in his homeland, scoring 13 goals in 23 appearances in the Venezuelan Primera Division last season.

0B391F8BC21410E1B21EB76A8C4CFA7269770A8F (1366×768)

Image result for usm alger

USM Alger, unlike their North African opponents, have never won the Champions League. The closest they came was in a 2015 final defeat to TP Mazembe of DR Congo. Despite their lack of continental success, they are one of the leading teams in what is a very strong Algerian Ligue 1. They'll likely be considered outsiders in Group A, but don't be surprised if they manage to pull through at the expense of one of the other North African sides. 

The key man in this USM Alger side is veteran winger Mokhtar Benmoussa. The winger has scored in every game so far in the competition, and he'll be hoping to keep that form going into the group stage.

EF509F3943C8A6F1B5CA605DC9418CD6FEE32509 (1366×768)

Group B

1C2136BE56BDF8F697518ABACAEBC261EDA83C05 (1366×768)

Image result for coton sport

Coton Sport are the most successful team in the Cameroonian top flight. But despite their domestic efforts, they haven't been able to win the CAF Champions League unlike their national rivals Canon Yaounde and Union Douala. Looking at this group, their long wait to win the top prize in Africa is set to continue. 

The top performer in this current Coton Sport side is defender Paul Atangana. The right-back is an ever present in the team and provides both defensive solidity and a threat from wide with his crossing. 

1C7164CA5ED12CF55C8DCF55AC2C6397363395AD (1366×768)

Image result for es tunis

ES Tunis have won the last 2 editions of the CAF Champions League and 4 overall. With 29 Ligue 1 titles in their homeland, they are also the most successful Tunisian side ever. They'll be fancied by many to make it three Champions League wins on the bounce; so expect them to progress from Group B.

Key to their charge for a third successive crown is Tunisian international striker, Haythem Jouini. The forward has been in top form this season and Tunis will be pinning their hopes on his eye for goal. 

FF10E09DE27ACC6B38AB61329F10A76E97479984 (1366×768)

Image result for setif fc

ES Setif have 2 Champions League crowns to their name (1988 and 2014). But they'll have to overcome two of the tournament favourites if they are to progress from group B and stand a chance of adding a third. It's certainly not outside the scope of their ability to qualify for the last 8, but all will depend on how well they fair against two better sides in ES Tunis and Zamalek. 

The key player for ES Setif this season is Yassine Bezzaz. The veteran midfielder brings a wealth of experience to the Setif team along with attacking flair. 

0C5C0C3FDD17FE5914FF29AFB77A81A5F47C0034 (1366×768)

Image result for zamalek

Zamalek go into the group stages as one of the favourites to win the tournament. With 5 CAF Champions League crowns to their name, they are one of the most decorated teams in the competition's history. But they haven't managed to win it since 2002, with only one final appearance in that time. Desperate to catch up with Al Ahly's record of 8 tournament successes, the Cairo side will be hoping to show their credentials in a tough group that contains the current champions ES Tunis.

Ferjani Sassi is the talisman of Zamalek. The Tunisian international midfielder is expected to be one of the stars of the tournament. With wonderful technical ability and great vision, Sassi will look to be the creative heart of the Cairo-based club.

ECE8037491C4722F774A96F3785661C925472BA3 (1366×768)

Group C

31249A3CC0F401F711C5B8B9BB278E5DBC52E88E (1366×768)

Related image

ASEC Mimosas are the primary club of the Ivory Coast. They are also one of only two sides from the country to have won the CAF Champions League; doing so in 1998. Mimosas will come into this group as the outsiders, with many considering them to be the weakest of the four sides. Kolo Toure's arrival in the summer has rejuvenated the club, however, and there will be a lot of media attention on how they do in this competition in his maiden season. 

The best player in the current Mimosas side is winger Poukou N'Guessan. The young Ivorian has been in scintillating form so far this season and his team will be hoping he continues to thrill on the big stage.

90891D9BE2855CDCD69337AFAB3B01EDA79DCF66 (1366×768)

Image result for club africain

Club Africain might not be Tunisia's most successful side, but they are considered to be the most popular club in the country, earning the title of 'people's club'. They have a history in the CAF Champions League, winning the competition 7 years before their Group C opponents ASEC Mimosas in 1991. But their continental pedigree is not quite at the level of their more illustrious neighbours in Tunisia. Still, they'll be in with a good short of reaching the last 8 of the competition this year if they can get the better of Wydad or TP Mazembe, in what is looking like a close group to call. 

The star of Club Africain is Tunisian international forward Saber Khalifa. With plenty of experience to offer, he'll be expected to carry the weight of the club's expectations in attack. 

918C2B57244FDE680AD0E02821AB15C07A2718BF (1366×768)

Image result for tp mazembe

TP Mazembe are the main challengers to North African dominance from the wider continent. The club has an impressive 5 CAF Champions League titles to its name already, with the most recent of these coming in 2015. Mazembe made headlines around the world when they defeated Brazilian side Internacional CF in the Club World Championship back in 2010. Many consider them to be the dark horses of this edition of the tournament, so they'll be worth keeping an eye on during the group stages to see how they live up to their reputation. 

Their star man is Rainford Kalaba; the most decorated and important player of Zambian football. With 105 caps to his name, he's already etched into Zambian folklore. He's also one of the only TP Mazembe players still at the club to have won the Champions League, having been part of the 2010 and 2015 successes.

203C0B35872E1CD98006352D9BD0B813AAA59334 (1366×768)

image.png.b0703354cb16d8c3b657035695581351.png

Wydad Casablanca are sure to bring plenty of passion and fireworks to Group C. The Moroccan side reached the final of last year's competition, but defeat to ES Tunis meant they were unable to add to their 2 Champions League crowns. They are the most successful team in Morocco's domestic scene with 15 title wins, 3 more than their city rivals Raja Casablanca. But last season's final defeat to Tunis meant they missed out on the chance to equal Raja's 3 Champions League wins; a fact their bitter enemies love to remind them of. 

Ayoub El Kaabi burst onto the Moroccan scene back in 2016, having played in the lower leagues for a long time. His efforts won him a big money move to Chinese side HB China Fortune, but he found the going tough in the far-east. His return to Moroccan football with Wydad has been fruitful so far, however, and his international record is impressive. Expect a potential golden boot if Wydad can go far into the tournament.

5EC5B302D584D97103C6BF0C96F46EBFD1CD355F (1366×768)

Group D

D26D5E6B79DDA9C0B9A85CEA866CB4836FAF2819 (1366×768)

Image result for san pedro fc ivory coast

San Pedro are one of the surprise packages of Ivorian football. They have managed to supplant Africa Sports as the main challengers to ASEC Mimosas this season, and the Ivorian bookmakers even had them as favourites to win the title. They have no real history in the CAF Champions League to speak of, however. This group looks to be a step too far for them, with all three opponents looking vastly superior on paper. Elimination beckons, but some sturdy performances could help them build their confidence as one of the Ivory Coast's rising clubs.

Ivorian international Roland Zan Bi has been expected to make a move to European football for several years now, but so far his club have resisted the temptation to cash in on him. He's the best hope his club have got of causing the opposition problems, with San Pedro's emphasis very much on keeping the opponent from running over the top of them. A good performance in the group stage could finally see a European side take him off the Ivorian club's hands.

883FC6D975288BBD6D50184BE382FB46B377404D (1366×768)

image.png.9858abd5c9861f0f44061084bde363b8.png

Surprisingly the Orlando Pirates have only managed to win the CAF Champions League once, in 1995. They were runners up in 2013, however, but as one of Africa's most famous teams there is a disappointing lack of continental history to show. Pitted with rivals Mamelodi Sundowns in the tournament's only domestic match up, they'll have to get the better of their South African neighbours if they want to get out of Group D. 

Musa Nyatama has not hit the heights that were once expected of him, but he's grown old like wine, and his best days seem to have been saved for his later years. The 32 year old still possesses a turn of pace and with his dribbling and passing abilities, he will be a thorn in the side of most opponents. 

6D8532C36C84CD1783F73BF5BE16D2325883724D (1366×768)

image.png.925dbb2e8285e661e2d21df9f224131e.png

Raja Casablanca may trail their nemesis Wydad in the domestic title count; but the green half of the Moroccan city enjoy the bragging rights when it comes to international titles won, with 3 Champions League crowns to their illustrious name. Raja are Group D's favourites to progress, but they'll find the going tough with two trips to the other side of the continent to come. Raja's trips to face Orlando Pirates and Mamelodi Sundowns will see them travel the length of Africa. Will the long journey throw them off their stride? Only time will tell.

1B17444054EA8E7265FE276B3DA6CA6084EC4D4D (1366×768)

image.png.443575e8da97e58fe0dd3d1fe9ba444d.png

Mamelodi Sundowns won the Champions League for the only time in 2016 and finished runners up once in 2001. The South African champions have enjoyed their best run of success in the last decade, and in the past two South African domestic seasons, they've managed to pip group rivals Orlando Pirates to the title. Having won more domestic titles than any other South African clubs, they'll be expected to progress ahead of their rivals in Group D. But Champions League football rarely follows the patterns of domestic football, so Sundowns will have to be wary.

Themba Zwane will be key to Sundown's hopes. The South Africa international is wanted by European clubs, but with the window not opening until January, the midfielder will be around for the first three games of the tournament. His dribbling and crossing will threaten plenty of defences.

F78022341896B085498BCFA10479CF420CB7C489 (1366×768)

World Soccer's Group Stage Predictions:

Group A:

1. Al Ahly.

2. ES Sahel.

3. USM Alger.

4. Salitas FC.

Group B:

1. ES Tunis.

2. Zamalek.

3. ES Setif.

4. Coton Sport.

Group C:

1. TP Mazembe.

2. Wydad Casablanca.

3. Club Africain.

4. ASEC Mimosas.

Group D: 

1. Mamelodi Sundowns.

2. Raja Casablanca.

3. Orlando Pirates.

4. San Pedro. 

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

Image result for Coupe de Cote d'Ivoire

Coupe de Cote d'Ivoire Second Round: FC Djide 0-4 Asec Mimosas

FC Djide goalkeeper, Abdoulaye Fofana, may have been unable to keep his side in the Ivorian Cup, but he is the only reason that his side managed to stay out of the record books. 4-0 might sound like a hammering, but it fails to paint the full picture. Despite changing the majority of his team, Toure was able to sit back and relax as his side swamped their opponents with attack after attack. A double each from Tapsboba and Barro were the only goals registered, but 40-0 wouldn't have flattered Mimosas.

The result wasn't the only positive for Toure's side, however, as Abdegniandan and Barro both returned to the side after injury. Both players are short of fitness, but 90 minutes against Djide will have helped bring them closer to match fitness. 

0BB51BDF97DCC8C13DE5AE2719C7835933642455 (1366×768)

ASI D'Abengourou 0-3 ASEC Mimosas

ASI have been punching above their weight this season, but when the stampeding Mimosas players came to town, it was all a bit too much for the home side. 

With champions SO Armee dropping points, the opportunity to pull clear at the top of the league presented itself to Toure's side, and his players seized it with both hands. Despite an heroic performance from the ASI goalkeeper, Poukou N'Guessan was able to open the scoring on 15 minutes. The winger has made a habit of scoring from back post headers this season, and he did so again to open the scoring on the quarter-hour mark. 

It would take until the second half for Mimosas to turn their total dominance into a more comprehensive scoreline, as young Burkinabe striker Tapsoba made it 6 goals in 4 games, with a quick double on 53 and 55 minutes. Tapsoba has been tipped to win his first call up to the Burkina Faso national team having started the season in fine form. The 18 year old is pushing senior striker Yessoh all the way in an attempt to become the main man in Mimosas' attack. 

Despite huffing and puffing, Tapsoba's double was to be the last of the goals. The win marked 5 straight league victories as well as 5 consecutive clean sheets for Toure's men. 

57CA4CCEE1FCD8BC6DEC11B71C41964A6DFD97A5 (1366×768)

EA62712B6FFC914C208DFB04C8613A94596A35F0 (1366×768)

International Call Ups Problem For Toure

Ahead of their Coupe de la Ligue tie on Saturday, Mimosas manager Kolo Toure was pressed for his thoughts on the international call ups that look set to heavily disrupt his team's season. For this weekend's match, Les Mimos are without 10 of their first team squad. While next month's u-23 African Cup of Nations looks set to leave Mimosas without many of their key players for several weeks. 

Toure, who represented Les Elephants 118 times, said "It's unfortunate that we're forced to contend with this issue as we look to chase our goals this season. We have started so well in the league and the Champions Cup. We'll be without a goalkeeper for the weekend and next month, as well as several other key areas of the team being weakened. Because we are a successful team, our players generally get called up to represent their national team at various levels. So we'll be hit the hardest by this. With many of our players falling into the u-23 age range, it's concerning to say the least."

Looking at the list of players who could be missing for much of next month, it would take something of a miracle for Mimosas to come through things unscathed. This weekend's opponents in the League Cup play in Ligue 2, so perhaps they might get away with having 10 players missing. But elimination would surely incur the wrath of Toure who has urged the CAF to rethink the timing of their international tournaments. "It's common sense, really. There are a lot of leagues that are in play during November and many of these young u-23 players are in the first-team at their clubs. We're not talking about youth-team players here. It would be difficult to justify this arrangement going forward."

Perfect Ten!

896ADA72E817A801CD0E5FE503ECC99229C3D4A7 (1366×768)

The 10 international call ups did nothing to thwart ASEC Mimosas' chances of reaching the next round of the Ivorian League Cup. In a nod to the number of players missing for ASEC, those who were left behind notched up 10 goals in one of the most remarkable games in Ivorian football for many a years. 

Mimosas were relentless from the start of this game, despite their opponent's efforts to defend in numbers. As the images below show, it was a case of all hands on deck for Korhogo:

1EE7035ACA13AD54638417620D3DFA2E75EDCD30 (1366×768)

A2C912D8EFEB999F3FCEDB6E62640F7D10B437CF (1366×768)

A8EAF0B40EA98DB4AEA5EDD9AD24308D471F2541 (1366×768)

Salifou Diarrassouba might not be around when the next international call ups happen if he continues to play like he did this evening. 4 of the 10 goals his side scored came from the Burkinabe midfielder. Salifou's fellow Burkinabe, Tapsoba was also on the score sheet in the 10-1 rout. Both look likely to win a place in the Burkina Faso squad sooner rather than later. 

Bagate, Yessoh, and Ablador scored one each, while left winger Sede Dion got two. 

It was a remarkable performance by Toure's side who now have 43 goals in just 11 competitive games this season.

International Call Ups Take Their Toll As Mimosas Draw

7 first team players were missing for ASEC Mimosas as they struggled to draw against relegation battlers WAC. Two in-game injuries added to their personnel issues as Toure's squad appear to be down to the bare bones for the next month or so. 

Speaking to the Abidjan Times post-match, Toure reemphasised his concerns: "We've been forced to play a goalkeeper and backline that have never played with one another before. Two players in the defence and the goalkeeper have made their professional debuts. We've then lost two players to injury during the game. It's going to be tough for us as we approach a very difficult stage of the season. We could accept the situation more if it was self-inflicted. But these issues are outwith our control. The only way we can avoid this happening is to either not give young players a place in our team or to have players who are not good enough for international football. Neither is a reasonable option."

Toure's ire is understandable, as Mimosas have been hit with more international call ups than their league rivals. Having started the season so strongly, the good work that Les Mimos have done so far could be undone if more results like today follow. 

In other news, there appears to be some talk gathering momentum about a possible takeover at ASEC. Club owner Robert Ouegnin is said to be willing to listen to offers for the Ivorian giants. It's unclear if there are currently any interested parties, but with Kolo Toure in the manager's hotseat and an exciting playing squad in good form, the club should be attractive to any prospective buyers. 

A459B7FD20CCB0EB04A0C8BC7C8F0E4C98523CFB (1366×768)

Coupe de Cote D'Ivoire: RC Daloa 0-7 ASEC Mimosas

Minus seven first team players, ASEC Mimosas put seven goals past Ligue 2 side RC Daloa in their Ivorian Cup third round tie.

The Ligue 2 side would have hoped that their under-strengthed opponents would have been vulnerable to a cup upset, but the players who came into the team for Les Mimos stood up to the task and comfortably sailed through to the fourth round. 

A quadruple from striker Yessoh and a debut strike by youngster Diabate were the highlights of the tie, in a very comfortable afternoon for Toure's side. Given the absences from the team, there were three debuts for Mimosas, as Diabate, Abou Martial and Aly Maguy stepped up from the academy side. All equipped themselves well on the day, and Toure will be hoping that the step up in quality of their weekend opponents won't faze his young stars as they look to keep their place in the squad throughout the month.

B1C6E0E2928A40415DB825278A203AB93C1AE0B5 (1366×768)

0385D7EECC555FB73B527C70FD566AD5EC21DA79 (1366×768)

98E7B27A2DA0D1D27F85E19AB2B74DC9012FD8F6 (1366×768)

C798A1EEFC963FE4478A5048C31BB894C2C60651 (1366×768)

7 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Words cannot express how much I'm enjoying this thread. Please accept this gif as token of my appreciation.

HxzQvfn40ggLu.gif.4608fa8bfb79ffce1d244a36ebef4947.gif

I accept haha. 

Much appreciated. Things are going to be tough for the next month. 7 players away on international duty. Never anticipated this. 

Four Way Tussle Developing, As Mimosas Draw Again

ASEC Mimosas have drawn their second league game in a row, this time against relegation strugglers Sol FC. Kolo Toure will be counting the days until his key players return from international duty as he's been forced to watch the team's four point lead at the top evaporate. 

Mimosas would have been hoping to have enough in reserve for a game against one of the league's struggling sides. But a second half penalty robbed them of the chance to leave Treicheville with three points.

Toure's side dominated the ball and created plenty of opportunities. Young Burkinabe striker Tapsoba kept up his good form by giving them the lead on 11 minutes. But they couldn't add to the forward's goal, despite sustained pressure on the Sol FC goal. I

In the second half Mimosas captain Yves Ablakor found himself on the wrong side of his man, and after a tangling of legs, the referee pointed to the spot, handing Sol FC the chance to equalise. Courtis Dao duly obliged, and gave his team a much needed point in their bid to avoid the drop this season.

Elsewhere, SO Armee, Africa Sports and San Pedro took advantage of Mimosas' slip up, as an exciting four way title tussle looks to be developing. All three challengers to the leaders have been largely unscathed by international call ups, so they'll be keen to take full advantage of this period of the season when Mimosas look to be vulnerable. 

2329D873D68590F1C87F355A856608116A30BA65 (1366×768)

DBDDF1DD3194D5E32A1248FDC6E3432EC13D80CD (1366×768)

Coupe de la Ligue: ASEC Mimosas 7-3 Stella Club

The news before today's game was that Mimosas and Stella Club have agreed a fee of £6k for the latter's star striker Abou Diomande. The 26 year old has been in fine form for the Ligue 2 side, and his efforts have not gone unnoticed by the top brass at Mimosas. 

87F9950E6C05493963B6C33A1DE3ACD46DACDEAE (1366×768)

The move is expected to go through in the next transfer window, pending personal terms being agreed. But Diomande certainly didn't hold back when playing against his potential future employers, turning in a terrific individual performance and scoring a well taken goal.

It was a somewhat strange evening in the Ivorian capital, as the League Cup tie pitted the best of Ligue 1 against the best of Ligue 2. Stella Club certainly gave Mimosas plenty of food for thought, but at one point they found themselves 4-1 down, and ended up losing the tie 7-3. 

There was a moment of real panic in the ASEC support as the fans watched their team nearly throw away a three goal lead, when Stella Club pulled the scoreline back to 4-3. The tide looked to be turning in favour of the Ligue 2 side, but the introduction of striker Yessoh from the bench calmed the Mimosas nerves, and three goals were added late on to seal the deal for Toure's side as they progress to the League Cup quarter finals. 

A643E9CD5B0AF301A5C3EF6CF825074695622867 (1366×768)

SO Armee: A New Force in Ivorian Football?

Badge

Ahead of this weekend's crunch tie at the top of Ligue 1, we take a look at current Ivorian champions, Societe Omnisports De L'Armee. 

Yamoussoukro: Home of the Champions

Basilique Yakro4.JPG

The city of Yamoussoukro sits 236km north of the Ivorian capital, Abidjan. Home to over 281,000 people, it is the fifth most populous city in the country. Last season, the city's only top-flight football club brought home the Ligue 1 trophy to a huge fanfare in the city centre. With a good support base and a growing local economy, Yamoussoukro could be about to become one of the centres of Ivorian football. The whole city gets behind their local team, and this weekend many of those supporters will travel down the A3 highway that connects Yamoussoukro with Abidjan to cheer their team on in the biggest game of their season so far. 

Championship Winning Form

0BC1AE3018B59117DC4A4A794836C08308D20AC1 (1366×768)

Despite defeat in the Super Cup and an early elimination from the Coupe de la Ligue, SO Armee have been in great form. Unbeaten in the league, with only two draws to blemish an otherwise perfect record, they sit neck and neck with Mimosas at the top of Ligue 1. Yamoussoukro based journalist Josef Dao insists L'Armee have shown a continuation of the form that won them the title last season, and that they'll push Mimosas all the way this term: "If you look at the form of S.O.A, you can see it is pretty much the same as the end of last season. They have been difficult to beat and are scoring enough goals to win games. What I see is a team that has not been a flash in the pan, but is growing into one of the most important teams in the country. I think a lot of the limelight has gone to Mimosas because of the Toure appointment, but L'Armee have been quietly going about their business and winning football matches."

Key to the rise of S.O.A is manager Jean Baptiste Kouadio. The 50 year-old was a latecomer to coaching and is currently studying for his continental A licence, but he has already made history in Ivorian football by winning the title with such an unfancied side. 

4CD4BB6D7D7BF9A6023C38BD553578787D385901 (1366×768)

Known for his pragmatism, Kouadio has opted to play a very narrow system so far this season, with numbers in the central areas helping L'Armee to overrun their opponents' midfield. 

ACB8BC5A2D1686503F99E3CDAF81C72F48BE8F30 (1366×768)

0F5030F43F5F804185065E60C2AEF9C6B4607414 (1366×768)

The wingbacks provide the width in Kouadi's system, whilst the central players press together and try to force openings through the middle. It's a system that is reaping results at the moment, but whether it will stand up to the test of ASEC remains to be seen. 

DE92EF43FA4A42E9B145B4CC638FBBA2A0C0205F (1366×768)

Arguably the key component in the SO Armee's side is Joel Yeregbe. Playing just off the striker, Yeregbe has been the creative hook that links the attack and midfield. Willing to lurk outside the area and supply passes for on-rushing deeper midfield players, he has already notched up four assists in seven Ligue 1 games this season. If L'Armee are to stand a chance of breaching a solid Mimosas defence, Yeregbe will have to be on song. 

DBDDF1DD3194D5E32A1248FDC6E3432EC13D80CD (1366×768)

Both sides go into the weekend's tie level at the top of the league. But with ASEC Mimosas' personnel issues, L'Armee will surely provide stiff opposition for Toure's side. Mimosas have failed to win in their last two league matches against lowly Sol FC and WAC, though they have racked up goals in cup competitions. A win for SO Armee, and the city of Yamoussoukro will be celebrating well into the night. Either way, the threat of the Ivorian champions doesn't look like it will be diminishing any time soon.

Ugly Scenes As Mimosas and L'Armee Draw

There were ugly scenes at the end of the match, as champions, SO Armee, and league leaders, ASEC Mimosas, played out a frustrating stalemate in Abidjan. L'Armee substitute Landry Wassettouba was shown a red card in injury time as his lunge sparked violent scenes between both sets of players.

The SO Armee manager will have been the happier of the two coaches, as his plan to stifle the creative players of Mimosas worked a treat. They did, however, have to rely on a bit of luck as ASEC struck the woodwork four times and goalkeeper Kouadio was forced to pull off some outstanding saves. The result keeps both sides level on points, though a third party has joined them at the top of Ligue 1 in the form of Africa Sports.

ASEC will be relieved that the U-23 African Cup of Nations reached its conclusion last night, with the Ivory Coast triumphing in a penalty shootout against Tunisia in the final. The young internationals will now return to their clubs, and Toure will be hoping it will spark a turn around in their recent league form. Mimosas are without a win in three Ligue 1 matches, having drawn against WAC, Sol FC and now SO Armee. The loss of form has opened the title race wide open, as bitter rivals Africa Sport joined Les Mimos and L'Armee at the top, while San Pedro and surprise package ASI d'Abengourou sit close behind.

C12A463F2425F67C6B672CC4D73AB5F13D0879AA (1366×768)

8052E74AD0B08399F794F8F0D0870222F2F83327 (1366×768)

Testing Times For Toure As Mimosas Draw Again

With the u-23 players just back from Egypt, Kolo Toure was reluctant to field several of his key players with the TP Mazembe game to come at the weekend. But in dire need of a victory, the ASEC manager did throw in a couple of the AFCON stars in the hope of ending a barren month with a positive result.

Unfortunately, it was yet another stalemate, as Mimosas failed to find inspiration in their newly returned stars. SC Gagnoa got what they came for at the Stade Felix Houphouet-Boigny, and they presented Mimosas' title rivals with the perfect opportunity to send them tumbling down the league table.

The game was marked by a lack of clear cut chances, with only Tapsoba coming close early on. The Burkinabe striker controlled the ball near the penalty spot, swivelled and struck his shot straight at the Gagnoa goalkeeper. It was a concerning display from Mimosas who seem to have gone from free-scoring, fantasy football to turgid, unimaginative stuff in the space of a month. 

Kolo Toure took time to reflect on the situation post-match, as he looked ahead to the beginning of the CAF African Champions League this weekend:

"What can I say, we've been well off the boil for the past few matches. All of us recognise that our high standards have not been met this month. Yes, there have been difficulties with the Cup of Nations taking place during an important part of the season for us, but we should have handled things better. It's difficult to overstate the impact the disruption has had on our cohesion as a group. We spent the first months of the season trying to develop a core unit to the team and it was pretty much torn out of us this month with the call-ups. With the players returning now, we will have to re-integrate them into the team, because it's hard to go straight back to where we were a month ago at the click of the fingers."

On Saturday the CAF African Champions League gets under way with DR Congo giants TP Mazembe coming to Abidjan for the group opener:

"Ideally, we'd be heading into the Mazembe game in a better place mentally. I think we'll really need to dig into the depths of our character to come through this one with a result. TP Mazembe are one of the tournament favourites and they'll be looking at our recent matches thinking it's going to be the right time to play us. All we can do is get back to the training ground and try to work on things. We're not losing games, that has to be recognised. Our team won't throw in the towel and that's a very positive thing. Looking at the majority of our matches this month, we've deserved to win them. You could argue we've been playing fine, the goals have just dried up a little. We have to relish these occasions and I know we'll have great backing from the supporters. It's a game that is steeped in history and tradition: two of Africa's great clubs in the opening match of its premier tournament. That will hopefully inspire us to stand up and be counted."

DB1F4C6AF6CEEDC3725E9B5907DBE50DABD1454A (1366×768)

Related imageTP Mazembe (logo).png

The CAF Champions League gets underway this weekend as sixteen clubs from around the continent look to ignite their dream of becoming the champions of Africa. With North African sides dominating the competition in recent seasons, it will be interesting to see how ASEC Mimosas and TP Mazembe fare in Group C alongside Club Africain and Wydad Casablanca. In the opening round of fixtures, the clubs from the Ivory Coast and the DR Congo respectively will go head-to-head in Abidjan. The game may give us some clue as to who will be most likely to challenge the Moroccan and Tunisian clubs for a place in the quarter finals.

TP Mazembe are the most successful club in Champions League history outside of North Africa. They were the first side to win back-to-back titles in 1967 and 1968, and picked up their last winner's medals in 2015. 

Image result for tp mazembe 1967

(TP Mazembe won their first African title in 1967)

Les Corbeaux (ravens) have built up a strong network across Central and Western Africa, with players from Zambia, Mali, Cote d'Ivoire and Cameroon all part of the current squad. With their status as one of Africa's leading clubs, TP Mazembe have been able to attract some of the best players from neighbouring countries and further afield, allowing them to challenge the might of clubs in the more affluent North African leagues.

Image result for tp mazembe

The team are coached by former captain Mihayo Kazembe, who led his side to the final of the 2010 Club World Cup where they lost to Internazionale Milano. Kazembe nearly became a team-mate of his opposite number in the dugout in 2008 when the Congolese midfielder had a trial with Arsenal FC in London. Now over-seeing a mammoth of African football, the TP Mazembe manager is looking forward to locking horns with Toure in his team's opening match of the Champions Cup:

"I think it will be a beautiful occasion. Much has been said about Toure's return to the Cote d'Ivoire and how it's a great thing for African football. I agree. But I also think it will bring awareness to the many great clubs, players and coaches that already call Africa home. I have a lot of respect for Kolo. What he's achieved in the game stands up as one of the most impressive careers of any African footballers. I've been following his progress with ASEC this season and I think they are looking strong. Okay, the last few matches have been disappointing results wise, but over the course of things, they've been looking very accomplished."

Image result for mihayo kazembe

With five CAF Champions League titles already etched into Mazembe's history, ASEC Mimosas manager Kolo Toure believes the Congolese side have to be considered among the favourites to win the competition. The Ivorian has watched his side struggle to cope with international call ups and injuries over the last month or so, but he should have a full compliment of players to select for the showdown with TP:

"We're facing a real powerhouse of African football; make no mistake about it. I know people like to talk about the Tunisian and Moroccan clubs in the group, but I don't think we'll face a harder opponent than Mazembe. They have experience and quality all over the park. They have a manager who knows African football well and who knows what it takes to succeed in this competition, having done so as a player. It will be a struggle, for sure. 

"I think we've pretty much got a full squad to choose from, with the exception of one or two longer term absentees. But I've said before, this isn't necessarily going to solve our recent issues. I expect the team to take a bit of time to get back up to full speed. We reached a high point at the end of October and everyone could see the team was in a good place. Fast forward to now and we're talking about "crises". We have to be professional and not let the talk in the press affect us too much. The players have put in a good couple of days training and they'll stand up to the test on Saturday. There's always the chance that an opponent like TP will come and blow you away, but we've not been beaten this season for a reason. There's character in the dressing room and the players will fight for everything."

Image result for Kolo Toure Press

Elsewhere in Group C, Wydad Casablanca travel to Tunisia to take on Club Africain in a fascinating encounter in Rades. Wydad lost last season's final to Club Africain's bitter rivals ES Tunis. 

8 hours ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

I accept haha. 

Much appreciated. Things are going to be tough for the next month. 7 players away on international duty. Never anticipated this. 

When I was playing in Africa on 18, I was using league files that included extensive continental competitions for the youth national teams, so it felt like I was always losing key players (since I rely so heavily on youth). It'll keep the league interesting, that's for sure!

Related imageTP Mazembe (logo).png

CAF Champions League Group C: ASEC Mimosas 2-1 TP Mazembe

Football is a game of two halves, and that was evident on the night that ASEC Mimosas defeated five-times African champions, TP Mazembe.

The opening 45 minutes was all about Kolo Toure's men as they pressed their opponents high and forced mistakes. The Mazembe players looked shell-shocked as they were swamped by yellow jerseys every time they took possession of the ball. By he time the clock struck 15:20, the Congolese champions were already 2 goals down. First it was Adama Barro who struck; ghosting in to meet a well-delivered free kick from Mimosas captain Ablakor. The Burkina Faso winger sent the 42,000 Mimos fans into raptures with his well timed run and finish. And the ASEC fans were barely back in their seats when Wilfried Yessoh found himself peeling in behind the Mazembe backline to make it 2-0. It was a lightning start to the game for Toure's side and the kind of response he'd have been looking for having watched his side drop points in all of their league games this month. 

Image result for ASEC Mimosas

Mihayo Kazembe would have been justly concerned at half-time, as his team headed for a bruising defeat. But whatever was said in the Mazembe dressing room seemed to work as the Congolese side emerged for the second half transformed. 

Emmanuel Mbola, TP's best player on the night, fired home a 25-yard rocket on 49 minutes to bring Mazembe back into the game. But despite more pressure throughout the half, ASEC stood up to the challenge and held on for a famous victory. 

Speaking to reporters after the game, Kolo Toure expressed his delight at ASEC's resilience: "We've shown everyone what we're all about. It was a very good first-half offensively, and in the second half we showed the other side of our game. TP seemed unsure of themselves early on and we capitalised on their hesitation. But as they grew into the match, and they are always likely to with their quality, we had to stay strong and fight for the win. We did that. What a way to round off a month of disappointment."

Toure's opposite number Kazembe was defiant in defeat. Speaking with Ivorian and Congolese publications he insisted his team had learned valuable lessons from the match: "It was not an ideal result and performance. But if you look at the course of the match, it was quite clear why we lost. We didn't start well. It's almost as if the players trained for the first forty-five minutes and then got into game mode in the second half. We know that it's never acceptable to begin a game like that; especially in the Champions League. So we'll definitely learn from this and correct the errors as we go into our next match against Club Africain."

Elsewhere in the group, the Tunisian hopefuls Club Africain made quite the statement with a 3-0 home win over last season's beaten finalists Wydad Casablanca. Saber Khalifa scored a double and Yassine Chamakhi added a third in a comprehensive win. 

47D90A0FAD658C64A58149C2EF0C09DD8DD3D0BC (1366×768)

Group C after round one:

3525F58D59D48CC05738542264B113CBC8ED2EE0 (1366×768)

Elsewhere in the CAF Champions League:

277A3EBC5CE173C35831AA7F1E48E118ECAF5224 (1366×768)

3299B43258D3FED0004AA30BA23AD54E9C0078B9 (1366×768)

Mimosas Back To Old Habits As They Hit The Goals Trail At Issia Wazi

The TP Mazembe victory looks to have breathed new life into ASEC Mimosas as they got back to winning ways in Ligue 1 with a thumping victory against relegation battlers Issia Wazi. A hat-trick from Konan N'Dri, a spectacular overhead kick from Brahima Ouattarra and a coolly taken penalty from Tapsoba saw Toure's side leap-frog their bitter rivals Africa Sport, who play their game in hand on Saturday evening. 

Konan N'Dri missed last month due to international duty, but the on-loan Eupen winger made up for lost time with three well taken finishes. The pick of the bunch was a well timed run and finish at the back post, when Togolese winger Agbegniandan delivered an early cross in behind the Wazi backline. 

The goal of the game, however, was undoubtedly Brahima Ouattara's overhead kick. The Ivorian u-23 international has yet to find the sort of form that he displayed with RC Abidjan, but having returned victorious from the AFCON, the midfielder showed what he is capable of with a contender for goal of the season.

Tapsoba rounded off the scoring from the penalty spot. The young Burkina Faso youth international came off the bench for the injured Wilfried Yessoh and bagged his ninth goal of the season. Yessoh is expected to miss seven weeks of action after straining his knee ligaments, so Tapsoba will be looking to keep his good form going to help him cement his place in the starting eleven.

ASEC Mimosas will now turn their attention to two huge games in the next seven days. First, they will be travelling to Casablanca to face Wydad in the CAF Champions Cup. Then they will turn their focus back to Ligue 1 for the Classique de Abidjan against Africa Sports: the biggest fixture in the football calendar of the Ivory Coast. 

EDA82C921309B01318CB69AC2F98AA02A302A44D (1366×768)

image.png.b0703354cb16d8c3b657035695581351.pngRelated image

CAF Champions League Group C: Wydad Casablanca v ASEC Mimosas

Wydad Casablanca opened their Champions League Group Stage campaign the same way they finished last season's tournament: with defeat in Tunisia. Club Africain re-opened old wounds as they inflicted a heavy defeat on their Moroccan counterparts. For ASEC Mimosas, the opening day of the tournament was one to remember. The Ivorian club went toe-to-toe with DR Congo's household club, TP Mazembe, and emerged victorious at the Stade Felix in Abidjan. So the feeling coming into the second round of games couldn't be more different in either camp. 

The Moroccan side come into the tie without a permanent manager, having parted company with Serbian coach Zoran Manoljovic. A poor run of domestic form sealed the fate of the former Trofense manager, leaving Mourad Fellah in caretaker charge. 

Image result for mourad fellah

Speaking ahead of his first game as caretaker boss, Fellah called for calm in the Wydad camp: "I think we have to come together and address our problems rationally. Yes, we are in a bad place at the moment, but clearly the quality is there. If we can simply get back to basics and correct the mentality of the team, everything will start to fall back into place. What we can't afford to do is start pointing fingers and creating political capital of the situation. I know there are different factions in the press and the boardroom that want to use the current predicament to have a go at those involved in the running of the club just now. But I'd say to them 'be calm and see that everything will return to normal; help us don't hinder us'."

With home advantage and a change in the dugout, Wydad will be desperate not to slip further behind the qualification places. Widely tipped to compete in this year's tournament as one of the forerunners, it would be nothing short of a disaster for the Moroccan side to be eliminated at this stage. 

Image result for wydad casablanca

Whether or not the team is in form, one thing is for sure: the fans will be on form. Wydad are backed by one of the most passionate and vocal supports in Africa, making the 67,000 Stade Mohamed V one of the most intimidating grounds for away teams. But Kolo Toure insists his side won't be cowed by the home support, as his side look to pull off another major upset: "We faced some very passionate locals in Tripoli earlier this season. It was an enjoyable experience. I think the players thrive in such environments. When you go to places in the Ivorian Cup and there are only a few hundred supporters, it can be a surreal experience. You sometimes forget you're playing a big game of football as a professional. But these occasions remind you where you stand in the game. We're going to Casablanca to a red hot atmosphere because we're one of the best sides in Africa. It's something to relish; not something to fear."

Les Mimos returned to winning ways on Wednesday after a poor run of domestic form themselves. A hat-trick from Konan N'Dri helped Toure's men see off Issia Wazi 5-0 in Ligue 1, putting them top of the league, having played a game more than their bitter rivals Africa Sports whom they play soon after Wydad. It's bound to be a massive seven days for ASEC Mimosas; the most difficult week in Toure's short managerial career so far. 

image.png.b0703354cb16d8c3b657035695581351.pngRelated image

CAF Champions League Group C: Wydad Casablanca 0-1 ASEC Mimosas

6902DD50A140C003CDB7B4F97E8266EC0630CB74 (1366×768)

ASEC Mimosas pulled off yet another major upset in the CAF Champions League by beating Wydad Casablanca 1-0 at the Stade Mohamed V. A second minute strike from on-loan winger Konan N'Dri was enough to seal the victory for Les Mimos, as their sturdy defence stood up to a late onslaught. 

Wydad caretaker boss, Mourad Fellah, would have been hoping to lay down a claim for the post on a permanent basis, but on the evidence of tonight's showing, the Casablanca club will have to look elsewhere if they are to get their season back on track. It was a thoroughly uninspiring performance from Fellah's side, who now sit at the foot of Group C, pointless after two games. 

For Toure's Mimosas side, however, the picture looks very different. Having come into the group as the rank outsiders, they now sit two points clear of Club Africain, whom they play in Tunisia in round three. Speaking after the match, Toure could not hold back his delight at the result: "It's one of the proudest moments in my professional career. I don't say that lightly, of course. If you read the papers in the build up to the match, no one thought we could come here and win. Even though Wydad have been going through some problems lately, everyone assumed they'd have enough to see us off. But we've refused to stick to the script. I asked the players to fight for the shirt out there and they've done it. You have to admire their courage."

This is how Group C looks after two rounds of matches:

FDD47FAF0E8C165E4D05F8D425147026D7B84841 (1366×768)

TP Mazembe and Club Africain shared the spoils in the DR Congo, leaving Wydad Casablanca four points adrift of the qualification berths. 

Elsewhere in the competition, Salitas FC made history by winning their first ever point in their game against USM Alger. Coton Sport of Cameroon stunned Egyptian giants Zamalek. Mimosas' fellow Ivorians, San Pedro picked up their first point against the other side from Casablanca, Raja; and Mamelodi Sundowns took the spoils in the all-South African tie against Orlando Pirates.

F1A0B44BA730FCBD10BB306B4B9B3525F18FE62F (1366×768)

510DD0B5635399DE01E44755610E3DF266231A62 (1366×768)

Image result for asec mimosas v africa sports

Match Preview: Le Classique

Like most countries with a footballing history, Cote d'Ivoire has seen the development of an intense rivalry between two sides that have enjoyed the lion's share of the national success. The capital city, Abidjan, is home to several clubs plying their trade in the top two divisions of Ivorian football, but look around the city and you'll see that when it comes to popularity, there's really only two shows in town. 

In the early days of Ivorian football, Stade D'Abidjan ruled the roost. During the 1960's, the current Ligue 2 side won five of the ten league titles contested by Ivorian clubs that decade. In 1966, they also became the first Ivorian team to win the CAF Champions Cup. It would take until 1998, thirty-two years later, for ASEC Mimosas to match Stade D'Abidjan's continental achievements. Since the 60's, however, it has been all downhill for the once great capital club. A few Ivorian Cup wins aside, they haven't managed to reclaim the Ligue 1 crown or make a dent in the CAF Champions Cup. These days, they find themselves chasing promotion back to the top flight in Ligue 2. How the mighty have fallen. 

Image result for stade d'abidjan 1966

In the place of Stade D'Abidjan, two clubs have emerged from the sweltering city to battle it out for supremacy in Ivorian football: ASEC Mimosas and Africa Sports. The former have long since taken the record of most Ligue 1 titles from Stade D'Abidjan. To date, ASEC have amassed twenty-six top flight crowns. Africa Sports are some way short of that figure with seventeen; though both clubs trump the rest of Ivorian football by some distance when it comes to trophy haul. 

If the 60's belonged to Stade D'Abidjan, then the 70's was the decade of Les Mimos. The club managed to win four titles back-to-back between 1971 and 1974. It was the first time a team other than Stade D'Abidjan had put together a run of titles stretching beyond two in a row. But it was to be bettered the following decade by the other team from the capital. 

Between 1985 and 1989, the Ivorian top flight belonged to Africa Sports. Five consecutive titles, a new national record, ushered in a golden age for Les Aiglons. But they couldn't follow up their domestic success with victory on the continent. That was something their mortal enemies were to achieve during a golden age of their own.

The pendulum swung back the way of ASEC Mimosas in the 1990's. The club had gone ten years without winning the title (Stella Club being the only team other than Africa Sports to win the league during the 80's), but the beginning of a new decade ushered in a bright new dawn for Mimosas. Between 1990 and 2000, ASEC would win eight out of ten titles, including a new record run of six in a row. They would also become only the second Ivorian club to win the CAF Champions League in 1998. It was during this period that current manager Kolo Toure burst onto the scene as a teenager. 

Despite the club selling off their best assets from the Champions League winning side, the 2000's were to bring further successes for Mimosas. A new record run of seven consecutive titles helped Les Mimos pull clear of their rivals in overall crowns, but by the time the current decade came around, the country was ready to end the dominance of the big two. 

Since 2010, six of the ten championships have been won by clubs other than ASEC or Africa Sports. The main beneficiary has been Sewe FC with three, while AS Tanda have two and OS Armee, the current champions hold the one. 

Ivorian football may have become more competitive, but the history and tradition of the big two make Les Classique a game not to be missed across the country. The latest edition of the historic fixture is no exception, as both clubs have taken up their traditional positions in the top two spots in Ligue 1. 

96B9091F1B45EDEF9E6631F31A22542949278BC2 (1366×768)

Both teams come into the game at the Stade Felix unbeaten and with the meanest defences in the division. Kolo Toure's side have only shipped the one goal so far in their league encounters, while Frenchman Jean Christophe Gratecap has earned a reputation for also running a tight ship with Africa Sports.

436A07A21B1F11C053ED81701F133E63E635F908 (1366×768)

With plenty at stake in the coming game, both teams will have to maintain their solidity. Traditionally, when the two teams find themselves in a title-tussle, the winners of Les Classique triumph at the end of the season. So neither team will want to lose this one. 

Image result for asec mimosas v africa sports

Perhaps the most notorious moment in the history of Les Classique came in 2001 when one person died and thirty more were injured in a riot between both sets of supporters. Passions can sometimes spill into violence when Abidjan's big two go head to head, and with this week's tie set to be one of the most important games between the clubs in years, security will be tight. 

So who will triumph in Les Classique and take a huge step in the direction of the title? Can Africa Sports begin to close the gap between their seventeen and Mimosas' 26 titles? Or will the return of Kolo Toure usher in a new era of ASEC dominance?

Both clubs have enjoyed their own respective decades of success. With the 2020's close on the horizon, who will the new decade belong to?

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

Golden Mimosas: The Next Generation of Ivorian Stars

Related image

When Kolo Toure was brought back to ASEC Mimosas this summer, he declared himself ready to bring through a new generation of young Ivorian footballers. The prospect of one of the most decorated Cote D'Ivoire players ever overseeing the development of the current crop of youngsters at Mimosas, sent the national press into a frenzy of excitement. It will take time to see the fruits of Toure's development plan, but with six months already behind him in the job, we take a look at how things are going in the Mimosas academy, and who we can expect to make the step up in the near future. 

8EFA427AEEBB8D9635EC69A3A9AB7DEB5C1B9B81 (1366×768)

The young Mimosas team are currently sitting comfortably at the top of the u-21 championship. Like the first-team, they have yet to experience defeat. Currently managed by Kolo Toure's former international team mate, Romaric, the young ASEC stars have been impressing, with several members of the squad already experiencing first-team action in the cup competitions this season. Key to the u-21's league success has been young striker Aly Maguy.

FCA5B836D4CFE9401B1E551402590FBC0B5C1297 (1366×768)

The 16 year-old has been tipped for the very top, having scored 17 times in 10 games across all competitions. Maguy is the kind of striker that plays off the shoulder of the last defender and with his finishing abilities already looking finely tuned, he could definitely make the breakthrough into the Mimosas first-team before he turns 18. 

At the other end of the field, Abou Martial has been showing Kolo Toure that the Mimosas academy is still producing quality centre halves. 

1CB33F6C5776CCDE8514F4B4B00C0CEA95E0EC33 (1366×768)

At 17, the young defender has already won the u-23 AFCON. It won't be too long before he's knocking in Toure's door for a place in the first-team. But with the Mimosas defence looking solid this season, it might have to wait until the next campaign.

23121BD91133330208289FD006FC088BE67D23A9 (1366×768)

Guy Akoete was one of the first players to be sent on loan to the Ivoire Academy after the two clubs formed a strategic development partnership. The young midfielder has been an ever-present in Ligue 2 this season and his solid displays in the heart of the Ivoire Academy side have earned him praise from his manager. 

DB0043F7DF3F4C2295F2840626D0973DAAEF41A0 (1366×768)

Benie Traore has a similar playing style to current first team star, Poukou N'Guessan. Comparisons have been made between the two, but the latter is the one currently earning a spot in the first-team. Traore has been loaned out to Bouake FC to try and get first-team action, but the winger hasn't seen as many minutes as he would have liked. It's likely Mimosas will recall the winger in January in order to try and get him a better deal elsewhere so his development won't stagnate.

DA0A1EB4689727C36CA4236F715E7BB7086DB11D (1366×768)

Ibrahima Bance spent the first half of the season on loan in Sweden with Helsingborg. He impressed during his spell with the Scandinavian outfit, but returned to ASEC in the hope of playing a role in Toure's team before making a permanent switch to Europe. The Burkinabe u-23 international cannot be registered until January, but he has impressed for the B-team with 3 goals and 3 assists in 2 appearances. 

C4FC3D702BA903E7B5965B380AC4653530159348 (1366×768)

Young goalkeeper Aboubakar Bamba deputised when first-choice keeper Dante headed to Egypt for the u-23 AFCON. It was an impressive stint between the sticks and Bamba will be looking at the next couple of years as a potential breakthrough. 

1E6AB304F08AF9D57FE4BA51526605CF15385D04 (1366×768)

Another AFCON winner with the u-23s. Meite is currently enjoying a loan spell at surprise package in Ligue 1, ASI d'Abengourou. The young defender has been a solid presence in the heart of the ASI back-line. With an aggressive approach, he will be the sort of player manager Toure admires. 

7D6583569C01C9771D0434C722A16127B5E144CB (1366×768)

With another batch of young stars set to join up with the u-21 side in March, the club's head of youth development has hinted that there is a golden generation in the pipeline. 

The future is looking very bright for ASEC Mimosas and with Kolo Toure leading them to impressive domestic and international performances so far this season, it is a good time to be a fan of Les Mimos. 

Les Classique Belongs to Les Mimos

From the first whistle of the Classic, ASEC Mimosas showed that they were the hungrier and more determined of the two teams in the show piece of Ivorian football. Toure's side returned from Casablanca ready to correct the domestic wrongs that had seen Africa Sports climb above them into top spot. It was a game played at break-neck speed, with both teams looking apprehensive on the ball at times. But the Mimosas players were the ones to shine brightest on a crucial day in the Ivorian Ligue 1 Championship. 

The game started in the worst possible manner for Jean Christophe Gratecap's side. An early penalty saw Burkinabe sensation Abdoul Tapsoba fire home his tenth goal of the season. It was all that ASEC deserved for their early pressure, as N'Guessan, N'Dri and Brahima Ouattara struck the woodwork in search of a second. 

The Mimosas players had to wait until injury time to seal the victory, when a surgical counter attack, a hallmark of Toure's side this season, allowed Salif Bagate to end the contest and send ASEC to the summit of Ligue 1. 

The customary red card arrived shortly after the second goal when Yannik Troh flew in on Togolese winger Agbegniandan. The challenge sparked angry scenes in both dugouts and on the field, but the referee was eventually able to calm things down. The defeat was the first loss in the league for Africa Sports, while their rivals managed to keep up their unbeaten run in all competitions. 

Manager Reaction:

Toure: 

"We showed the battling qualities needed to come through these sorts of matches. We knew that we had it in us, as we've already shown it several times this season. But today is one of those occasions where everything else goes out the window and it's just 90 minutes between you and your biggest rival. I thought Africa Sports were organised and disciplined defensively, but I think we showed a greater spirit to dominate the midfield battle and use that as a platform to chip away at them. The early goal helped settle us down, but the way the team defended has to be applauded too. We've been outstanding in defence all season and you could see exactly why that is today."

Gratecap:

"This is a minor setback in an otherwise terrific season for us. We knew it would be tough coming to their ground, given their form so far. I thought we handled the occasion okay, but we lacked certainty in our attacking play. When there's a whiff of apprehension in your play, the opponents will use that as motivation to press you and force you into mistakes. Other than that, I thought we were solid. We gave away an early penalty, disappointingly, but until we were forced to throw men forward and were caught on the break, we kept Mimosas out. On another day, I reckon we'd have gotten a point. But it is not to be. We have to just pick ourselves up and force Mimosas to look over their shoulders now."

9CAE9D1A1DB7D098C12311D82DC37EA7604B38F9 (1366×768)

EA946E68A011345498F4186D0719A1794E2CA0F7 (1366×768)

Coupe de Cote D'Ivoire: ASEC Mimosas 3-0 RFC Aboisso

ASEC Mimosas are into the quarter finals of the Ivorian National Cup after a comfortable home win against Ligue 2 outfit RFC Aboisso. 

Kolo Toure opted to rest several key players ahead of their match against RC Abidjan on Sunday, and the back-up brigade didn't disappoint their manager as they controlled the game throughout. The only frustration on the day was the inability to score more goals, with ASEC spurning several glorious opportunities. 

The two Burkinabe players in the team scored the opening goals of the game either side of half time, before Togolese winger Agbegniandan added a third with a wonderful free-kick from 30-yards. Mimosas could have had more goals if they had been more clinical, but it was enough to see them sail through to the last 8. 

"In cup football it is all about getting things done.", Toure said. "You can look at the performance and say it wasn't perfect. But we had a job to do and we did it with minimal fuss. I'm happy for the players who came into the team. They showed we can rely on them when called upon."

I'm enjoying the save especially the detail. As an African it's always nice to see someone doing a save in Africa. I'm not South African but I do get the South African league on my cable, so I know a fair bit about Sundowns and Orlando pirates. So I'll be following their progress in the champions league.

Great stuff man.

Just curious, did you load many African leagues. It looks like you have a lot of detail on other African teams in other leagues.

Mimosas Breeze Past RC Abidjan

Image result for Racing club de abidjan

ASEC Mimosas have continued their remarkable run in Ligue 1 with a comfortable 2-0 win away at RC Abidjan. Their neighbours in the Ivorian capital were unable to lay a glove on them, as Toure's side prepared for their huge clash against Club Africain in Tunisia next weekend. 

Konan N'Dri came back into the side and picked up where he left off with the opening goal of the match. The winger found some space to get a shot away between the centre back and full back on Racing Club's right-hand side, and the on-loan Eupen winger made no mistake with the finish. 

Ibrahima Gramboute added a second for ASEC just after half-time. The young midfielder picked up the ball in his favoured half-space, before thundering a shot into the top corner. It was his 6th goal of the season in all competitions; an impressive return for the big money signing in the first half of the season. 

Mimosas could have added many more goals to their tally, but the RC Abidjan keeper was determined to keep the scoreline at 2. Late on, Dante in ASEC goal was forced into action, but he dealt with the effort comfortably, much as he has done all season. 

The league leaders will now turn their attention to next weekend's tie in Tunisia, as Club Africain await their arrival in the CAF Champions League.