Question about some attributes

I play FM many years but still I am unsure for some attributes and their effect in game... I would like some discussion about it and hopefully it will clear out for me.

1) Decision and Flair. Are they counter attributes? Once the player gets a bunch of choices to make (Vision, Anticipation, Composure, Concentration), then it comes down to either get the best choice (Decision) or to make a very "creative" and "risky/Flashy" one (Flair). Am I get it right? How those 2 attributes interact each other? What if one player have both good decision and flair?

2) Work rate. I understand work rate is how hard a player works in game. I can see how usefull it is for full backs and midfielders and also the lone striker. But what about Center backs or Goalkeeper? How useful is for them? In my mind aggression and bravery is what will make them to get into all situations.

3) Positioning. Is it any good for attacking roles? Does it affect the position of a Striker in a set piece scenario? In closing down and steal balls?

4) Balance. Whats the difference with strength? Isnt strength what makes a defender to win close encounters, push attackers out of ball. And at the same time, what makes Strikers to hold their ground and the ball against defenders? What exactly balance adds? How it works different?

In general, are there attributes you feel like dont used so well by match engine compared to others and so its not worth to look for or get a player with higher attributes elsewhere instead of these?

5 hours ago, Ampalaea4 said:

I play FM many years but still I am unsure for some attributes and their effect in game... I would like some discussion about it and hopefully it will clear out for me.

I'm not entirely 100% certain but here's my take on them

1) Decision and Flair. Are they counter attributes? Once the player gets a bunch of choices to make (Vision, Anticipation, Composure, Concentration), then it comes down to either get the best choice (Decision) or to make a very "creative" and "risky/Flashy" one (Flair). Am I get it right? How those 2 attributes interact each other? What if one player have both good decision and flair?

'Flair' gives the player a bit of creative freedom in being able to execute the unexpected. 'Vision' gives them the ability to see the opportunity, 'Flair' gives them the nouse to take the opportunity, 'Technique' or 'Passing' the ability to actually pull it off. 'Decisions' is the one that allows him to judge whether it is worth the risk or not. High in Vision, Flair and Passing but low in Decisions will mean he keeps trying the killer pass but at the wrong times. 

2) Work rate. I understand work rate is how hard a player works in game. I can see how usefull it is for full backs and midfielders and also the lone striker. But what about Center backs or Goalkeeper? How useful is for them? In my mind aggression and bravery is what will make them to get into all situations.

Yes, kind of. Work Rate will keep them going for the full game, works well with high Determination and as you say, Bravery and Aggression. Will also need good fitness and stamina to keep the levels up.

3) Positioning. Is it any good for attacking roles? Does it affect the position of a Striker in a set piece scenario? In closing down and steal balls?

I always think Positioning is a good attribute for all positions. For a striker, it means he is more likely to be in a better position to start his run or get in the right spot to meet a cross.

4) Balance. Whats the difference with strength? Isnt strength what makes a defender to win close encounters, push attackers out of ball. And at the same time, what makes Strikers to hold their ground and the ball against defenders? What exactly balance adds? How it works different?

You have the right idea I think, but imagine a big Defender trying to jostle Lio Messi off the ball. The Defender has  high strength attribute, Messi has high Balance. The defender can barge and jostle as much as he likes, Messi has good balance to stay on his feet. Balance allows the player to stay on his feet and retain possession whilst under physical pressure. I think Strength is also helpful for Long Throws.

In general, are there attributes you feel like dont used so well by match engine compared to others and so its not worth to look for or get a player with higher attributes elsewhere instead of these?

I honestly think ALL the attributes are used, although it it is extremely situational and different situation and player positions draw on different attributes at different times.

I hope that helps - I look forward to seeing other's take on this question. It could become an enlightening discussion. Good question @Ampalaea4

Edited by Snorks

On Balance have a read of this : 

Balance is:

• Used for deciding what type of shot and the power of it is possible when moving at speed, overhead kicks, how well they can cope with a change of momentum through performing a pass/cross/tackle/dribble.
  • Used in combination with Strength when checking if a player can stand their ground in a collision between two players
  • Used in combination with Strength deciding delay resulting from going to the ground
  • Used in combination with Strength when scoring dribbling attribute when the player is under pressure
  • Used in combination with Strength when scoring decisions on controlling ball, creating space on receiving ball, turning on ball or holding up ball

So both come in to the equation, but you'll need to consider whether the player's physical strength is high (strength) or are they good at shielding the ball and dribbling under pressure from defenders (Balance).

For attribute description in general, the manual does a good job of explaining them. :thup: