youth intake

Whats happened to the youth intake this year?? i was told in december i was getting some very decent young players who would challenge for the first team when they came through in march they were all shocking like nearly every attribute was single figures and worst of all they were pretty much ALL apart from 4 maybe 17 and a half, in previous versions they always 16 with a rare 17 year old in fm 19 my dortmund team always generated 14 year olds, there no point having the under 18 squads if you just gonna programme 17 and half year olds into the intake.

I don't think I have ever seen a 14 year old in my youth teams in FM in the years and years I have been playing the game. I've seen one or two 15 year olds, but they're rare. As far as I am aware youth intake are in the 16-17 year old bracket, and that would be within a date range in the game. It's similar to how in the Welsh Premier League I have to have 2 U19 players in my first team squad, and the game shows a date for which players will be included.

As for the abilities of players, well that is very random and not guaranteed from the December youth intake preview. Are you Dortmund again, because I'd say it's a low percentage to get a player that is straight in to the first team at 17? It will also be very dependent on youth facilities.

Some years you get lucky, some you don't. I'm positive there's no conspiracy here.

22 minutes ago, anagain said:

I don't think I have ever seen a 14 year old in my youth teams in FM in the years and years I have been playing the game. I've seen one or two 15 year olds, but they're rare. As far as I am aware youth intake are in the 16-17 year old bracket, and that would be within a date range in the game. It's similar to how in the Welsh Premier League I have to have 2 U19 players in my first team squad, and the game shows a date for which players will be included.

As for the abilities of players, well that is very random and not guaranteed from the December youth intake preview. Are you Dortmund again, because I'd say it's a low percentage to get a player that is straight in to the first team at 17? It will also be very dependent on youth facilities.

Some years you get lucky, some you don't. I'm positive there's no conspiracy here.

I believe France and Germany can get youth in as young as 13 in some cases.  It is strange that you can end up getting a "youth" player through who is just months off his 18th birthday.  To me a "Youth Intake" shouldn't contain players who would already be eligable to sign a pro contract.

On 22/01/2020 at 17:13, anagain said:

Okay, I learnt something new today. Only managed there once and didn't last the season.

Still think it's luck of the draw regarding how good youth are though.

yeah i get it is luck of the draw etc etc but the new feature this year is you are told what to expect ability wise in december by your head of youth development, so i was expectng a couple to come through who were at least 16 and 2 or 3 years decent training away from being prem ready but instead i got a bunch who will be lucky to make it to leading league 1 standard in 5 years and who are like 17 and a half

10 hours ago, Mrowe_86 said:

yeah i get it is luck of the draw etc etc but the new feature this year is you are told what to expect ability wise in december by your head of youth development, so i was expectng a couple to come through who were at least 16 and 2 or 3 years decent training away from being prem ready but instead i got a bunch who will be lucky to make it to leading league 1 standard in 5 years and who are like 17 and a half

Its called "My staff are idiots" syndrome.

It a common thing actually.