What does "Develop the best youth system in the country" really mean?

I'm in my 4th year with Everton and as part of the club's long term vision, next year I'm REQUIRED to develop the best youth system in the country. It would be prudent if that required criteria came with a little clarification, but I can't find any. What more can I do except ask the board to upgrade youth facilities? Seems to be all pot luck whether or not the young ones coming through our system are of decent skill, and so far they haven't been. There's one 18-year old now who jumps into the starting eleven for unimportant cup games and maybe the odd sub in the prem league here and there, but other than that, nothing.

Since this is required of me, I'm worried I'll lose my job and the beautiful thing I've got going here. I refuse to have that happen, so what can I do to improve my chances?

I've seen this in a couple of saves and I was also curious. Surely this would be something that will take years to achieve?

I can't remember what save u had but they wanted it at the end of the 1st or 2nd year. It seemed a bit of a task in itself, especially when the board wouldn't increase any of the youth facilities or junior coaching as 'I have only been with them a short time'. 

I had the same requirement in my club vision when i managed NK Zadar in Croatia. I took them from being a newly promoted team from the 3rd tier to winning the Croatian Premier League 10 years later, using nothing but academy developed players (I played the Youth Academy Challenge so that was the rules). We also got to the group stage of the Champions League and to the later stages of the Europa League. Every single player in my starting 11 came out of my academy.

We also sold three players to Liverpool for around £30 million pounds and took our training facilities, youth recruitment and youth coaching from the lowest level to state of the art quality. 

The boards verdict: We failes miserably in developing the best youth academy in the country........ 

I think there is a distinction here that needs to be made. The ongoing ones don't necessarily have to be done within a certain timeframe as far as I'm aware. They are more the cultural tenets of the club. 

Admittedly, listing them under '5 year plan' would then seem a bit off, so maybe I'm wrong.

All that requires you to do is to request to improve youth facilities, recruitment, junior coaching etc from the board. I asked the same question a few months ago and that was the response I got and it worked. So just ask the board to improve things and they should be delighted with the progress. 

18 minutes ago, Pattric_b said:

All that requires you to do is to request to improve youth facilities, recruitment, junior coaching etc from the board. I asked the same question a few months ago and that was the response I got and it worked. So just ask the board to improve things and they should be delighted with the progress. 

But I'm then stuck with the problem that, when I request improvement, I'm denied. 

12 hours ago, thomas_e said:

I had the same requirement in my club vision when i managed NK Zadar in Croatia. I took them from being a newly promoted team from the 3rd tier to winning the Croatian Premier League 10 years later, using nothing but academy developed players (I played the Youth Academy Challenge so that was the rules). We also got to the group stage of the Champions League and to the later stages of the Europa League. Every single player in my starting 11 came out of my academy.

We also sold three players to Liverpool for around £30 million pounds and took our training facilities, youth recruitment and youth coaching from the lowest level to state of the art quality. 

The boards verdict: We failes miserably in developing the best youth academy in the country........ 

AHAHA not at you but at the board ! that is outstanding work for a club like that and is bloody amazing starting 11 all youth academy from your club with its DNA. 

9 hours ago, Gross_Ballon said:

AHAHA not at you but at the board ! that is outstanding work for a club like that and is bloody amazing starting 11 all youth academy from your club with its DNA. 

Yes it was just ridiculous. Even though they thought i failed miserably I still kept my job though, but they were furious.... 

I really love club vision, but there is some work to be done! 

On 23/01/2020 at 02:17, Gross_Ballon said:
On 22/01/2020 at 13:19, thomas_e said:

I see the problem here as well, not arguing that.

But technically speaking you could have the worst youth facilities in the country and still be lucky enough to produce some very talented players. Then if you're a good manager, like you seem to be, you could go on and accomplish the feats you mentioned above, but still have sub-par youth facilities.

The board probably looks at the level of the youth facilities/academy, recruitment, junior coaching etc. and notes that you're still far off the target.  

At the start of an Athletic Club de Bilbao save, you're required to MAINTAIN the best youth system in the country. It's more than just the facilities; it includes your HoYD, HoPD and all technical staff of your youth teams as well. At least, that's what I think given that Athletic Club's youth trainers rank among the best in Spain. As we all know, the staff screen shows how your staff compare to the rest of the league. I'd say make sure you're the best in almost every one of them.

8kALylz.thumb.jpg.da1d3b44661346044aa58081559f24d0.jpg

What a ridiculous requirement. No manager has direct responsibility for the level of training facilities, the best they can do is ask the board to improve them. If the board want the best in the world, they should just improve them without having to be asked...

1 hour ago, Baodan said:

I see the problem here as well, not arguing that.

But technically speaking you could have the worst youth facilities in the country and still be lucky enough to produce some very talented players. Then if you're a good manager, like you seem to be, you could go on and accomplish the feats you mentioned above, but still have sub-par youth facilities.

The board probably looks at the level of the youth facilities/academy, recruitment, junior coaching etc. and notes that you're still far off the target.  

Agreed! 

But I went from the lowest level of youth recruitment, junior coaches and facilities to the highest level on all of these. Maybe except for youth facilities, those were upgraded that same season but not completed. 

14 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

Agreed! 

But I went from the lowest level of youth recruitment, junior coaches and facilities to the highest level on all of these. Maybe except for youth facilities, those were upgraded that same season but not completed. 

It sounds to me like you did all you could and I think this is something SI should look into.

On 22/01/2020 at 09:51, Norfair said:

I'm in my 4th year with Everton and as part of the club's long term vision, next year I'm REQUIRED to develop the best youth system in the country. It would be prudent if that required criteria came with a little clarification, but I can't find any. What more can I do except ask the board to upgrade youth facilities? Seems to be all pot luck whether or not the young ones coming through our system are of decent skill, and so far they haven't been. There's one 18-year old now who jumps into the starting eleven for unimportant cup games and maybe the odd sub in the prem league here and there, but other than that, nothing.

Since this is required of me, I'm worried I'll lose my job and the beautiful thing I've got going here. I refuse to have that happen, so what can I do to improve my chances?

Does it actually impact on how the game goes for you? If you fulfil the more tangible targets, would you still get fired for not having the best youth system? I doubt it, but I could be wrong. It might be one of those things -like the tactical advice you get from coaches - which is largely irrelevant.

2 hours ago, Marabak said:

What a ridiculous requirement. No manager has direct responsibility for the level of training facilities, the best they can do is ask the board to improve them. If the board want the best in the world, they should just improve them without having to be asked...

I suppose the board may need to fund it from the profit made in player sales? So then it is a direct relation to what the manager does. In this instance it would make more sense that they reduce the % transfer income to transfer budget to save for it.

Still pretty tenuous.

I've been following this on my long term career save and from what I can work out the board are more happy when I have an extremely strong U18 side rather than when my U18s win the U18 Premier League, FA Youth Cup or UEFA Youth League, basing this on the potential star ratings and also in the Dev Centre where it says how strong he squad.

I normally sign about 7 or 8 players with 3.5* potential or higher to supplement my youth intake in the U18 squad each year and always hit the achievement in club vision although I am relatively dominant domestically and pick up the odd Youth League title as well.

As a side note one really cool thing I've noticed this year is that if you have a long term U23 or U18 manager who picks up a lot of trophies in their role then they enter the favoured personnel over time. Never seen this on a previous FM and it's a nice touch, hoping to groom a successor this way.

2 hours ago, Baodan said:

It sounds to me like you did all you could and I think this is something SI should look into.

Yes it should. But we are four months after release and player instructions on set pieces are still changed in the middle of a game without the user doing anything, we have shocking defending, most games are based on goals from set pieces etc. etc., so I wouldn't excactly keep my hopes up on any major changes to club vision... 

On 24/01/2020 at 14:29, scass said:

Does it actually impact on how the game goes for you? If you fulfil the more tangible targets, would you still get fired for not having the best youth system? I doubt it, but I could be wrong. It might be one of those things -like the tactical advice you get from coaches - which is largely irrelevant.

Guess not.

image.thumb.png.6bb1851108dff235761c643d881cb19e.png

A few days after this, I asked for a new contract and they budged immediately and offered me one. They are also still very pleased with my overall leadership bla bla bla so it doesn't seem like this objective alone carries any significant weight.

Still, I don't know what more I could have done apart from having the best youth facilities etc around? It's not my fault that the youth intake never gives me anyone good.