Critique my 4-1-2-3

Introduction

Hey! 

I'm looking for some advice with regards to my 4-1-2-3 formation that I'm currently running on my Arsenal save. I always do my first save with a 'big team' to adjust to the ME, its safe to say this year hasn't gone to plan haha!

I achieved a 6th place finish in my first season and managed to win the europa league. Its worth noting that this was a mix of around 6/7 formations and I settled on the 4-1-2-3 towards the end of the season as it generated the best results. 

Style of Play

Before I go into the formation and other details, I thought it would be best to describe what it is I'm actually trying to achieve. I want my team to employ what I like to call 'meaningful possession'. I've never really had issues dominating possession in any FM game, what I tend to struggle with is turning that possession into clear-cut chances and goals. As a 'big team' with a good reputation, I assume this style will be achievable due to most opponents sitting back and playing cautious. Some key thoughts/ideas that I'm looking for: 

• Positive football. Dominate possession and control the game. 
  • Defensive Midfielder holding his position, covering the back 4 and playing creative passes. 
  • Pressing but not sacraficing our shape too much. 
  • If the opportunity arises (e.g when cautious teams play more adventurous in search of an equaliser) I want to hit teams on the counter with fast, explosive and direct wide players. 

Tactic

This is how I feel as though I could implement my 'Style of Play' in the best possible way: 

64483728_FM2020Tactic.thumb.png.0bfb877812b2ecdd03a8e362b4f9c482.png

• Positive mentality has been employed to maintain the idea of 'positive, meaningful possession'. 
  • Shorter Passing, Lower Tempo and Work Ball Into Box have all been used to dominate possession and control the game. 
  • Overlap Left and Overlap Right have been used to encourage my IWB's to overlap in certain situations (as its not normally part of their duty with that role). 
  • Distribute To Centre-BacksDistribute To Full-Backs and Play Out Of Defence have all been used to encourage playing out from the back due to my style of play. 
  • Counter has been used to utilize counter attacking opportunities when they arise, although I have considered removing this and using it situationally when I see a team go more adventurous?
  • Higher Defensive Line and Higher Line of Engagement have been used to press the opposition. Pressing is kept on standard to ensure the team shape is not sacraficed too much. 

Roles and PI's

SK Support (No Instructions)

Sweep up balls that are played over the top, play counter attacking passes. 

IWB's Support (No Instructions) 

Love this role in FM20, really like how they come inside and provide an additional option when playing possession football. Also like the variety they provide when combined with the Overlap TI's.

CD and BPD Defend (No Instructions)

BPD as I want my centre-halves to be comfortable on the ball, however I do like to have one of the two to be a standard CD. 

DLP Defend (No Instructions) 

Fits the style of play and achieves everything I want to see from my defensive midfielder. Screen's the back 4, holds position, offers a creative threat aswell. 

BBM Support (No Instructions) 

Wasn't 100% sure on this role. Wanted to have the balance between a player that will get forward and make runs into the box, but not have 0 defensive responsibility. Seemed most suitable. 

AP Attack (Close Down More) 

The main playmaker in the team, happy for this role to have almost 0 defensive responsibility. Close Down More added for a split-block pressing style. 

Support (Close Down More) 

I usually have 2 natural wingers or 2 inside-forwards, however I have opted for 1 of each to provide some variety in attack. I also have an inverted version of the tactic to switch to in game (confuse opposition defence). Close Down More added for a split-block pressing style. 

IF Attack (Close Down More) 

Same justification as Support. 

PF Attack (No Instructions) 

I wanted this player to not only be a goalscoring threat by making runs in behind, but also lead the team's split-block pressing. I want to defend from the front and have this player putting pressure on the opposition defence/goalkeeper (also why I added Prevent Short GK Distribution TI). 

Final Thoughts

I hope that provides you with a detailed understanding of what it is I'm trying to achieve. I would say this tactic has been moderately successful, I just feel as though sometimes it lacks a cutting edge. With a few more tweaks I think this tactic would get there, I'm looking forward to hearing what tips you guys might have! 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Hyphron said:

I want my team to employ what I like to call 'meaningful possession'. I've never really had issues dominating possession in any FM game, what I tend to struggle with is turning that possession into clear-cut chances and goals

If so, then the first thing(s) you should do is up the tempo (from lower to default/standard) and add the Be more expressive when it comes to in-possession TIs. Because the BME would somewhat offset the over-complicating effect of the WBiB instruction.

In terms of roles, I think you should change your AP's duty to support. Because an AP on attack duty makes more sense in counter-attacking and some types of fast attacking football. What you want to achieve is basically what I call "progressive possession". And for that style, your PM - whether AP, DLP or RPM - should be played on support duty IMHO. 

Up front, IF on attack duty tends to work better with a DLF (on either duty) than with PF on attack. And even more so if you play Lacazette as your lone striker, as he is very well-suited to the DLF role. If you still want the striker specifically as a PF on attack, then I would suggest you change the IF on attack in AML into IF (or IW) on support, and assign the attack duty to your winger in AMR. That would probably require tweaking some other roles as well, in the first place those of your LB and MCL. 

Out of possession, you may consider dropping the LOE just a notch (from higher to standard), removing the Prevent short GKD and applying a split block instead. That would not only make you more compact defense-wise, but would also create more space up front for potential counter-attacks. 

There are a couple other possible tweaks, but these were the most important IMO. 

Thanks for the reply! 

So I made the suggested tweaks and things have improved massively. 10 game unbeaten run against a mixed bag of opposition (Real Madrid to Sutton United), the extra cutting edge is really there to see. 

22 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Up front, IF on attack duty tends to work better with a DLF (on either duty) than with PF on attack. And even more so if you play Lacazette as your lone striker, as he is very well-suited to the DLF role. 

Seen a huge increase in performance from the IF on attack (Memphis Depay), he's really hit a run of form. Lacazette is also performing so much better, thanks so much for this! Why exactly do these 2 roles compliment each other so much? Does the DLF coming short create better link up play? I did feel as though both Laca and Memphis were isolated when running the IF (Attack) and PF (Attack) combo. 

22 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

If so, then the first thing(s) you should do is up the tempo (from lower to default/standard) and add the Be more expressive when it comes to in-possession TIs. Because the BME would somewhat offset the over-complicating effect of the WBiB instruction.

With regards to the above, do you mean that I should remove the Overlap Right and Overlap Left instructions and replace them with Be More Expressive? I have done so and results have improved, want to make sure this is what you meant though. 

Thanks again for the tips, definitely a step closer to the overall goal!

32 minutes ago, Hyphron said:

Why exactly do these 2 roles compliment each other so much?

Because it's a combo of a creator role that looks to drop a bit deeper (DLF) and a sort of wide false 10 (IF) that looks to attack space and get himself into goal-scoring opportunities. Basically a usual creator-runner/scorer combo. However, always make sure you have suitable players for both roles (primarily in terms of their attributes). 

36 minutes ago, Hyphron said:

With regards to the above, do you mean that I should remove the Overlap Right and Overlap Left instructions and replace them with Be More Expressive? I have done so and results have improved, want to make sure this is what you meant though

I would remove both overlaps in your tactic, but mostly because of a needless defensive risk they create, not in relation to the BME and/or tempo.