Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kovacevic

Defenders tracking wrong Attackers

Here's an especially egregious example of something I've seen a lot and that I think contributes to some defensive issues.

At 78:25, the build-up to the equalising goal, there's a minor problem first up with the suicidal pass back toward the halfway line, where it's 2 on 2, when there are free team-mates all over the current half.

The issue, though, begins from 78:30 - after this bad pass is intercepted,  there are 2 attackers in play, and 2 defenders in play. The defenders start out in position marking each of the attackers.

However, once the attacker has the ball and starts running with it, his defender runs to try and mark the other attacker, while the defender marking the free attacker leaves him alone to come and try and engage the ball-runner. 

Obvious result, both attackers stay free while the defenders meet in the middle - goal.

The issue here is that the defenders need to stick with the attacker closest to them, making sure they're both under pressure, rather than reverting to some positional "I'm a defender I'm supposed to be in this position" rule that leaves attackers free.

In other words, there needs to be some sensible over-ride code for default positioning and marking, to make sure that defenders are never running away from an attacking threat to leave them totally free as they advance on goal.

I see some version of this in almost every game, but this was the most extreme.

Bad Position Tracking 78.25.pkm

21 hours ago, Kovacevic said:

Just wanted to bump this as it seems like no one's downloaded the pkm to check the issue...

Thanks for raising and posting this. We have seen similar issues from other set peice transitions. This is something we've worked on and hopefully there should be some better defensive logic when defending these counter attacks.

Two more very bad examples in the attached game.

At 14:40ish the man city defender breaks from his own box, and my one  covering defender runs straight past the man with the ball in order to mark a player behind him.

On 20 mins for the first goal the exact same thing happens - Martinez is running on his own toward my half. Kehrer the covering defender runs right past him to mark someone else.

SURELY there needs to be an override here that says "if you're the last defender and someone is running straight at you, try to tackle them no matter who you're officially set to man mark."

Marking Override.pkm

Thanks for the extra info, as CJ said above i's something we've worked on and hope you notice improvements when we next update the Match Engine.