Sports Interactive Community
Pasonen

Central playmaking and goal scroring

Maybe just very bad luck, but I havent scored a goal in 4 games. Even when I've had many(ish) chances. Also it seems its very hard to get through from the center or there just isnt good passing patterns to pass through middle. 5 (including subs)of my MC's got play one-twos and quite good technical skills for the league. Here's some pics and I'll Download my Save Oxies1 to the cloud too.

Solihull Moors v Oxford City.pkm

SOLI.thumb.png.01f15c4f2bcb0284a2ce8c061cc52ced.png

Oxford City v Torquay United.pkm

Torquay.thumb.png.ed63801df9d9a9bcb7b9ff23529e7ef9.png

Wrexham v Oxford City.pkm

WREX.thumb.png.dd541b78e6fad6b42a4defe5687f3c4f.png

Oxford City v Ebbsfleet United.pkm

EBBS.thumb.png.5f1f6a4c6959522a76d4291892b4d074.png

OMG . Sorry my language. I just went to check my teams last game analysis. I hope you can use this game when trying to get more central play going.

1026753848_TAKUsyttEKA.thumb.png.5cb31ea04c4fcabf5501bfd060b32c91.png

I would like to see a bit more effort to get ball into box. I used cross less in purpose to see how I can get normal passes in. Now its like Long throws are to only passes going in to the box.

Heres Key passes

KEY.thumb.png.f8b8260940f584992c6d3a5717c2bf84.png

Used this tactic and also Higher tempo on and pass into space checked almost whole game to get a win. Also changed my Playmaker to advanced at some point, but it didnt really help. Wide defenders got cross less to get passes to the MCA's

TACTIC.thumb.png.a233147ea348c264464f130df795310f.png

Oxford City v Eastleigh.pkm

Edited by Pasonen

I did everything in the tactics screen to encourage central play, direct football and still my players opt to pass the ball sideways. 262 sideways passes. Forward passes totalled 135 with just 3 forward key passes. We need some improvements in the central play, players need to play more forward passes, more risky through balls etc.

image.thumb.png.fb3727afd25b254635a4d9f0b2f9cbba.png

image.thumb.png.ccf123ab317d46204c199d29fd60f9ad.png

Real Hispalis v Liverpool.pkm

Edited by Weller1980

Just adding another PKM here. I can just upload any game I play with Inter 3-5-2... Absolutely 0 internal passes, the two wing backs crossing balls to each other and too many stupid offsides where the wing backs are just standing there. I also have the feeling that there are much less goals, these are the last results I got: 3-2, 0-0, 1-1, 0-0, 4-1 (opposite team got one player sent out), 0-0, 4-0 (opposite team got one player sent out) 0-0, 0-1. In the attached PKM  you can also see Lukaku fail all the headers, sending many of them just too far off and the others being stopped by the keeper.

In my humble opinion I think that all of this may be fixed when you can make players use the middle of the field more efficiently, which is in this version the most game-killing thing.

Too much wide play.pkm

I'd say this is related, my trequartista deciding to pass back to a wingback instead of either running with the ball, holding it or specially passing to the two forwards ahead of him for them to try to drible or play one on twos between the 3 players.

It's like if players were too scared of passing through the center and are always looking for the totally open man, that is usually a wing player, even if the decision is too conservative.

Besides that low risk decision making, I think that the other problem contributing to the excessive win play is that players on the wing are usually not covered/closed in, specially wingbacks/fullbacks.

That is around minute 60.

Crewe v Crystal Palace.pkm

Edited by Icy

Am 20.1.2020 um 21:37 schrieb Weller1980:

I did everything in the tactics screen to encourage central play, direct football and still my players opt to pass the ball sideways. 262 sideways passes. Forward passes totalled 135 with just 3 forward key passes. We need some improvements in the central play, players need to play more forward passes, more risky through balls etc.

image.thumb.png.fb3727afd25b254635a4d9f0b2f9cbba.png

image.thumb.png.ccf123ab317d46204c199d29fd60f9ad.png

Real Hispalis v Liverpool.pkm 186 kB · 0 downloads

How did the other team set up?

When people talking about central play they have to include how the other team plays which most of the time is to defend deep and narrow. How are you going to have central play when the Opposition plays that way? very difficult.

I think the issues is the new defensive instructions which allows teams to defend narrow and deep together with pressing which clogs up the central area.

I dont think the offensive ai is good enough for players to move realistically and find space when the space is tight because even when the opponent defends narrow there are still spaces available which the offensive ai seems unable to exploit 

Agree that it might be the root cause of the lack of central play but even with narrow defending teams, the attacking one should try through balls.

It feels like the "control space" around each defensive player is too big so even if we see a hole between players in the 2D/3D, the attacking players can't see that the ball can go through it or is at least too risky so they go for the safer option, pass it to the wide men, that btw are always unmarked because the narrow defense.

Good to see people put one and one together. Too narrow defense is causing all play down the flanks just like it would in real life. I've seen constant flank to flank passing on shortest passing and lowest tempo because wide players were completely unmarked. Same thing was spoted last year when we discussed to death the too narrow defense thing. My guess is that balance between attacking and defending is hard to achieve. This is supported by long term issue of too many shots, especially shots on target. For example irl from 10 SOTs it wouldn't be unusal to see 5, 6 goals or even more.  Compare that to fm.  

Edited by Mitja

On 22/01/2020 at 13:43, thejay said:

How did the other team set up?

When people talking about central play they have to include how the other team plays which most of the time is to defend deep and narrow. How are you going to have central play when the Opposition plays that way? very difficult.

I think the issues is the new defensive instructions which allows teams to defend narrow and deep together with pressing which clogs up the central area.

I dont think the offensive ai is good enough for players to move realistically and find space when the space is tight because even when the opponent defends narrow there are still spaces available which the offensive ai seems unable to exploit 

I know this isn't really a discussion that belongs here but I also feel this is pretty accurately mimicking real life. While only 10 years back all the rage was funneling your attacks through the center, as famously the legendary Barca teams with Xavi, Iniesta & Messi did, these days it's all about the space that can be found on the flanks and in the half spaces, horizontally between CB & FB and vertically between the defensive and midfield line. I kinda like that the match engine is actually reflecting that trend.

On 05/05/2020 at 09:43, Flohrinho said:

I know this isn't really a discussion that belongs here but I also feel this is pretty accurately mimicking real life. While only 10 years back all the rage was funneling your attacks through the center, as famously the legendary Barca teams with Xavi, Iniesta & Messi did, these days it's all about the space that can be found on the flanks and in the half spaces, horizontally between CB & FB and vertically between the defensive and midfield line. I kinda like that the match engine is actually reflecting that trend.

It’s not though is it really Flohrinho. It’s basically constantly repetitive passing between CMs until a FB comes free and ball is played out wide. The PL is full of a variety of beautifully constructed goals. They did exist on FM a few years back but get less and less with every new iteration of the game. I’m glad it’s been acknowledged by SI. I would rather a Match that’s unrealistically beautiful as to one that is unrealistically bland.