Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
JEinchy

Defensive teams accumulating too many passes

Hi team,

This issue may not be strictly specific to the public beta, but I wanted to point it out. 

I'm noticing that AI teams playing against me with a lower mentality (likely Cautious or lower) are accumulating a lot of passes without creating anything. For context, it's 2024 and my team are league contenders. Examples:

Celta Vigo, 4-2-3-1 formation - 796 passes
Deportivo La Caruna, 4-2-3-1 formation - 604 passes
Real Oviedo, 4-2-3-1 formation - 662 passes
Bayern Munich, 4-3-3 formation - 639 passes*

* This one is an interesting case because although Bayern have a great team, this was the second leg of a CL knockout match, where they were defending a 2-0 lead. We won the game 3-0, having out-shot them 19-6. They only started attacking in the final ten minutes when they needed to. 

For comparison, my team's passing totals in those same games: 434, 459, 368, 339,

I would expect defensive teams to have fewer passes due to opposition pressure and lower quality players making more mistakes in possession. Delving into the stats a bit more, it seems AI defenders are passing the ball amongst themselves, which shouldn't be able to happen against a good press. Even the most defensive teams in reality tend to play more direct in these scenarios as well. 

I've attached PKMs of those matches for you to look at. 

Thanks.

Sevilla v Coruña.pkm Sevilla v Oviedo.pkm Vigo v Sevilla.pkm Sevilla v FC Bayern.pkm

@JEinchy

Thanks for sending this in, This is a really good observation.

We are also of this opinion internally but unfortunately it is not a quick fix. 

We feel that once we improve our pressing systems, this should make defensive AI teams passing stats decrease.

We hope to start implementing this sooner rather than later.

Thanks

Jemal 

Also noticed this, and i hope you will implement this for FM 20 not FM 21.

20 hours ago, Jemal Wiseman said:

@JEinchy

Thanks for sending this in, This is a really good observation.

We are also of this opinion internally but unfortunately it is not a quick fix. 

We feel that once we improve our pressing systems, this should make defensive AI teams passing stats decrease.

We hope to start implementing this sooner rather than later.

Thanks

Jemal 

But can I ask what happened it wasn't problem in first two MEs? When can we expect it to be improved, people have been reporting this issue since like decade ago?  This is not about statistics it afects all games and turnes them upside down, top teams chasing the ball against teams that play park the bus football. From the above post we are not talking about small difference but teams playing defensive and counter attacking direct football dominating passing stats with 600-800 while such teams should have between 300 and 400. 

13 minutes ago, Mitja said:

But can I ask what happened it wasn't problem in first two MEs? When can we expect it to be improved, people have been reporting this issue since like decade ago?  This is not about statistics it afects all games and turnes them upside down, top teams chasing the ball against teams that play park the bus football. From the above post we are not talking about small difference but teams playing defensive and counter attacking direct football dominating passing stats with 600-800 while such teams should have between 300 and 400. 

I'm guessing its got to do something with defense long pass fix. They dont just give ball away anymore

I think that it is possible to break down the opposition's possesion a bit. But it is necessary to take a much more offensive approach and taking more risks than I feel comfortable with. And that only leads to too easy counter opportunities against my side. So I have to leave the ball to them and let me get outplayed, hoping for this one corner to beat them. The other way around than it should be, the weaker side should be hoping for this one chance.

i am having a similar experience which is making my controll possession a bit unrealistic. How can I help? what kind of PKMs can we provide to help fix this?