Sports Interactive Community

I seem to be having the same problems as a few people on here. A crash dump keeps happening not long into the game just as a match is about to start. I had a few matches running alright before this. I've updated the hardware drivers (uninstalled / reinstalled AMD Radeon graphics & FM20 3 times), deleted the cache & preferences folders, made sure anti-virus software isn't interfering and upgraded to Windows 10. Before I used to be able to start a new game now I'm not able to do that it crashes at the home screen. None of these suggestions seem to have any effect. Is there anything else I can try? I've attached the error message and the DxDiag. Is there anything more I can do? I'd be surprised if my laptop isn't able to run it as every other game runs fine.

Error Message.jpg

DXDiag.jpg

Hi, can you attach the latest crash dump file, please? The crash dump file can be located at the following default location: C:\Users\[Your Windows Username]\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2020\crash dumps

Thanks.

Hi, I deleted the crash dump files and cleared the recycle bin during re-installs. Not sure if it will let me generate more crash dump files as I can't get far past the home screen. Whenever it crashes now it restarts the computer.

If the game crashes again and the warning message appear, it is likely that a crash dump file will be generated. If so can you attach it on here along with your Dxdiag .txt file so we can check the issue for you, please?

Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling your graphics card and see if that helps at all?

Can you post a screenshot of the error you're getting now when it crashes?

If you're still getting the same error that you posted in the original photo, then there will definitely be a crash dump generated. 

Hi Kyle,

Getting the laptop serviced seems to have worked. Thought I'd forward the information on as it may help someone else out.

'Hope that computer is running well for you now. I found that windows update had been permanently disabled, for whatever reason. Once I re-enabled them it downloaded some AMD components and now the performance in the FM20 is acceptable. Also installed the full AMD driver suite. Windows updates are annoying but I wouldn’t recommend turning them off completely, or you may be missing dependencies that other applications need.

Hope you enjoy the performance of the new drive all the same. They are much better than the hard disks. I also wanted to reiterate what I told your partner, SSD’s are great for speed, but if one fails it is very difficult to recover any data from them. I strongly recommend that you make a backup of any important files, i.e. family photos and financial document, you have on that drive, now and in the future. Have fun!'

'This case is very similar to an issue I had with one of my own machines that featured integrated graphics switching between GPU’s. I have actually managed to get the game to run by disabling the integrated graphics processor and forcing the machine to run off the GPU all the time. This means the computer never has to switch between the two graphics cards, and the DRIVER_POWER_STATE _ERROR cannot occur. However, the performance I am getting is woeful. I have looked at the Steam minimum required spec for this game and it seems that the hardware for minimum spec is very out of date for a game that was released in 2019, also there is no recommended spec listed here. I think this section has not been filled out by the developers properly, and that a more powerful machine is required.

We scanned the hard disk and there is a small problem with it, nothing that would cause problems in normal operation. My gaming laptops issues were fixed by upgrading the hard disk to a solid state drive, however it would still crash out with the same issue occasionally, though less frequently. I would normally recommend upgrading the machine with a 500GB solid state drive at the additional cost of £85+VAT, and this will improve the performance of the machine. We would be happy to perform this work for you. In this use case, however, that money would likely be better put toward a more powerful computer and graphics card. For best performance with games, a full size PC rather than a laptop is highly recommended.'

'We have stress tested this computer at 100% CPU usage for half an hour, and are currently subjecting it to some quite strenuous graphical benchmarking. So far we have not had any issues, temperatures holding steady at 75c. My only concern is this could be an issue with the power state of the GPU when it switches from integrated discrete graphic to using the more powerful onboard GPU. Temperature-wise I am happy with the performance of the machine at the moment, and we have not experienced any blue screens at present.

When it was crash dumping, was the error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE?'

18 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:
I have looked at the Steam minimum required spec for this game and it seems that the hardware for minimum spec is very out of date for a game that was released in 2019, also there is no recommended spec listed here. I think this section has not been filled out by the developers properly, and that a more powerful machine is required.

Just to clarify on this point, the minimum spec is accurate for the game. It has been raised over the last few years. And we've never had a recommended spec as don't feel it's something which is suitable for FM. 

Hi there, is anyone going to respond? I notice a new thread I started has been deleted?? This is all pretty poor I have to say. I've been playing this game for years and this experience is quickly overtaking the joy I have for the game.

What exactly does the BSOD say? There are multiple causes for what can cause a BSOD so we would need to have more info to be able to make any suggestions. 

We ask users to keep their info in one thread, if information gets spread over multiple threads it's harder for us to know what's been discussed and to keep track of the chain of events, hence why your other thread was removed. 

Thanks. 

Thanks for getting back to me. What more info do you need that I haven't given already? The BSOD doesn't say anything. The screen goes blue then it restarts. I'll take a screen shot tonight to be sure. I've been in touch with Vincent from the help team directly. He asked for the msinfo32 file which I've sent. I'd include it on here but it's over 10mb, you have the dxdiag file by scrolling up. To summarise, I've updated graphics, deleted cache and preference folder, made sure anti-virus isn't interfering, upgraded to windows 10 from 8.1, re-stalled the game a few times and had a solid state drive replace the hard-disk.

Hi, I've attached an image of the BSoD - not sure what you can glean from it. Only happened once last night which is a big improvement and that was in extra time. I did delete the cache & preferences folder again. Should I delete these every time I play? I feel like I got lucky with only 1 BSoD. I'd like to solve this issue completely. Do you need anymore information from me? Any more suggestions?

BSoD.jpg

We would need the stop code to make further suggestions which unfortunately doesn't seem to appear on your monitor? 

What resolution is your system running in as it doesn't appear to fit the screen correctly?

Here's an example of what the BSOD should look like with all the info:

Bsodwindows10.png

We would need the bottom two lines which are cut off on your system. 

Hi there,

I can't get the BSOD to fit to screen to see all the information including the stop code. I've searched online and asked around and the only suggestion I could find is to set the display to (recommended) which I've done to no avail. I've also ran an HDMI cable to a tv which doesn't work either. This isn't a query I should expect you to answer but if you know of a way I can gain the stop code information without the BSOD or if you know of a way I can fit the BSOD to screen I'd be very grateful.

Have you tried using the largest possible resolution for your PC? You can adjust your resolution in the "Display" settings.

Okay, thanks for letting us know and look forward to your update.

I've got the information from the BSOD as requested. Could you read the following also, this is from the computer engineer looking at my laptop which may be of some use. I look forward to hearing from you.

'The Windows 10 has been installed and brought fully up to date. I have restored the pictures and the save files, for all the games not just FM20. You are welcome to collect your machine when you wish, but I would like more time with it to research the issue, however I understand if you want it back. I have installed a piece of software called “Bluescreenview”. This software analyses the minidumps created by blue screens and presents them in an easy to read fashion. This should provide more than enough information regarding the crashes. Its telling me that the crash has been caused by a Directx driver. I still lean toward a hardware issue for this problem though, as it is not consistently repeatable. I think there may be a microfracture somewhere on this board, but it could be an exception the hardware has to running this software.'

fm20.txt

From what your engineer has said, and given that it is a driver issue, it's not likely to be an issue that we can fix. 

Of all the graphic driver related issues we've reviewed this cycle, no others have resulted in a full PC blue screen - they've always been a black screen or will crash with some form of dump made available for us to investigate. 

Have you tried playing other games via steam? Do they also give you a blue screen?

Thanks for getting back to me. The crashes has been generating dumps which I attached a couple of comments ago, are you able to investigate these? My other games play fine through Steam including the latest Civilization which hasn't crashed once. The only time I've seen this blue screen is when I'm playing FM20. Are you releasing any patches that will fix this driver issue? Is there anything you can do or suggest for me?

I'm unable to investigate them as they aren't dumps related to the game, we'd need full crash dumps - they'd be generated here: C:\Users\[your name]\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2020\crash dumps

We just released 20.2.4, however, I don't think it will make much difference in your case: it's not a universal driver issue, it seems to be related to just yours. Nobody else has reported a blue screen issue like this in the 3.5 months the game has been out I'm afraid. 

As for suggestions there's really not a lot else we can suggest that we haven't tried above, our belief, coupled with your engineers opinion, is that it is a hardware issue. 

Sorry I don't have better news I'm afraid.

Hi again, would this model run FM20 and future releases? HP Pavilion Power 15-dk0010na with Intel Core i5-9300H & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4 GB Dedicated) Graphics

Hey Jackie, apologies for the delayed response - covering these forums isn't my only job. 

The crash dump again points in the direction of a graphical issue, and not one we have the capabilities of fixing I'm afraid as it's hardware. 

I'm really sorry you're forking out for a new laptop as a result, if there was more help I could offer I would. 

But to confirm, your suggested laptop does meet all our spec requirements.

Thanks Kyle. It's a shame I can't squeeze any more out the laptop but it had a good run. I appreciate you and the team looking into everything. Thanks again