What would be your one advice

8 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

I can't even imagine starting right now, the learning curve would be huge

Wow the game is so complex! started yesterday after long consideration. Played Fifa Manager in the past but this is in such a detail it will take some weeks to understand the basics. 

1 hour ago, Forza#8903 said:

Wow the game is so complex! started yesterday after long consideration. Played Fifa Manager in the past but this is in such a detail it will take some weeks to understand the basics. 

The best thing to do is accept that at the start you will struggle with results, hell I've been playing for decades and i'm awful at it but the little success I do have is pretty sweet.  Follow the tutorials in the game, they've gotten a lot better recently and are a big help.  

Definitely start with a higher league club, preferably a top 4 team that you are very familiar with... it will make it easier to know the players and the learning curve is easier...

My one piece of advice is don't be scared to ask questions on here... most if not all people will be happy to answer any questions...

I for one am happy for you to pm me any questions you might have or anything :)

1 hour ago, Welshace said:

Definitely start with a higher league club, preferably a top 4 team that you are very familiar with... it will make it easier to know the players and the learning curve is easier...

My one piece of advice is don't be scared to ask questions on here... most if not all people will be happy to answer any questions...

I for one am happy for you to pm me any questions you might have or anything :)

Thanks! I got an job offer from Heart of Midlothian that I will accept. 

Will contact you with questions :)

When u build a tactic - start from your goalkeeper. Is he useless with distribution? then try to roll it out to defenders. If you have a good BPD in CB - roll it to CB's. Do u have a good DLP? then try to build up attack from there, etc. If all your players is quite bad with the ball but you have a killer striker with good pace? then try to bang it straigth over opponents team into space and hope for the best, etc... Always have a plan how to get the ball from your goalkeeper into the net of the opposition.

Load up a save, where you are a little team going against a big team. Save it just before the match.

play the game with no instructions, no changes, nothing. Just watch. Take notes for each player: what are they doing well? What do they do poorly? 

For goals you conceded, replay them a few times, why did you concede? Can you add an instruction or change formation to reduce conceding that way?

Now reload the game. 

Play it again, and try adding your changes. See what happens.

keep reloading and playing the same game until you win. And not win by a shock or chance own goal or long sho. But really win as far as playing well. You get good tackles, concede few goals, your players get good ratings, there are few mistakes, lots of completed passes, etc. 

this will help you learn the match engine, the game itself, how to be an on-pitch manager and get results.

using this same match over and over reduces some of the changing circumstances and things that will cloud your view. 

It will teach you how instructions work, how player roles work, how chance is a big part of it, etc.

Then, start your real save, and don’t replay, but take the results as they come.

59 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Start with a top club until you have a handle on the basics- delegate as many of the day to day tasks, particularly the reserves and youths and leave the training to your assistant

Good point. That is also what surprise me. The richness of the functionality. You basically need to delegate and find the right people for it. It makes it realistic.

9 hours ago, Gross_Ballon said:

John Souttar and Aaron Hickey will be great for your club ! 

Will put them on the shortlist for next year. No budget in year one.

29 minutes ago, majesticeternity said:

Load up a save, where you are a little team going against a big team. Save it just before the match.

play the game with no instructions, no changes, nothing. Just watch. Take notes for each player: what are they doing well? What do they do poorly? 

For goals you conceded, replay them a few times, why did you concede? Can you add an instruction or change formation to reduce conceding that way?

Now reload the game. 

keep reloading and playing the same game until you win. And not win by a shock or chance own goal or long sho. But really win as far as playing well. You get good tackles, concede few goals, your players get good ratings, there are few mistakes, lots of completed passes, etc. 

this will help you learn the match engine, the game itself, how to be an on-pitch manager and get results.

using this same match over and over reduces some of the changing circumstances and things that will cloud your view. 

It will teach you how instructions work, how player roles work, how chance is a big part of it, etc.

Then, start your real save, and don’t replay, but take the results as they come.

That is really a good way to develop. The only thing is that I start one time with career mode without a club as a manager with a lot of experience a football player. I got a job at Hearts and I don't want to go back in time with saving and loading...

20 minutes ago, Forza#8903 said:

That is really a good way to develop. The only thing is that I start one time with career mode without a club as a manager with a lot of experience a football player. I got a job at Hearts and I don't want to go back in time with saving and loading...

You make a test save, that’s not your normal one. 

Enjoy your job at Hearts!

18 hours ago, Forza#8903 said:

Would you start with a lower league club or with a club that is also successful in real life? What is good country to start?

Personally, I'd say start with a club that's predicted to finish mid-table - there's less pressure that way. That's probably more important  to surviving your first couple of seasons as a new manager than which league you play in.

When I started I found some of the videos on YouTube to be useful but not the ones where you watch somebody just playing the game, I found the "how to" type videos useful. I'd recommend looking at FoxInTheBoxFM' channel and in particular his FM20 101 and his FM19 101 series which give advise on some basics and also help you to find your way around the interface of the game.

2 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

When I started I found some of the videos on YouTube to be useful but not the ones where you watch somebody just playing the game, I found the "how to" type videos useful. I'd recommend looking at FoxInTheBoxFM' channel and in particular his FM20 101 and his FM19 101 series which give advise on some basics and also help you to find your way around the interface of the game.

Thanks! Added it to my YouTube

On 19/01/2020 at 06:49, majesticeternity said:

Now reload the game. 

I get the idea, but do you really find it helps?

So much can change between 2 matches with identical set ups that it just feels like this wouldn't really yield that much helpful insight. At least not without a great deal of time invested.

And the way the TIs interact with each other (and mentalities, player roles, duties, not to mention PIs) mean that the amount of possibilities is ridiculously high.

I get what your trying to say, but for me, I've always tried to build a tactic that appears logical and developed it over a number of different matches. 

3 hours ago, gunner86 said:

I get the idea, but do you really find it helps?

So much can change between 2 matches with identical set ups that it just feels like this wouldn't really yield that much helpful insight. At least not without a great deal of time invested.

And the way the TIs interact with each other (and mentalities, player roles, duties, not to mention PIs) mean that the amount of possibilities is ridiculously high.

I get what your trying to say, but for me, I've always tried to build a tactic that appears logical and developed it over a number of different matches. 

I only mean, to learn the game. Play the same exact game over and over. Because the variables are a lot less. Morale is the same, players the same, managers the same, formations the same, fitness the same, league/cup status the same, weather the same, etc.

To start with no instructions at all, and gradually adjust. So you can see how going more attacking works, or more defensive. If you ask all your players to cross the ball instead of pass, what happens. Etc. Just the basics. Actual shots/goals/penalties/match timeline don't really matter.

It's the way I learned the game when I first started.

7 hours ago, jcp1417 said:

depends on how well you know soccer in the first place. For me, I had to learn the sport along with the game, HAHA! I find myself wanting to play FM more than watching american football now

Lol yes I do now the game but not very experienced on the tactical side. What is your favorite club to play with and which league (Guess you are American as you refer to it as "soccer") 😉

42 minutes ago, Forza#8903 said:

Lol yes I do now the game but not very experienced on the tactical side. What is your favorite club to play with and which league (Guess you are American as you refer to it as "soccer") 😉

Yep, American. I hate the US system so I mostly play in England or Germany. 

I would start with a team you know well. The level doesn’t matter IMO. If you don’t really follow a team, start in a country that doesn’t have strict foreign player rules. 

14 hours ago, majesticeternity said:

I only mean, to learn the game. Play the same exact game over and over. Because the variables are a lot less. Morale is the same, players the same, managers the same, formations the same, fitness the same, league/cup status the same, weather the same, etc.

To start with no instructions at all, and gradually adjust. So you can see how going more attacking works, or more defensive. If you ask all your players to cross the ball instead of pass, what happens. Etc. Just the basics. Actual shots/goals/penalties/match timeline don't really matter.

It's the way I learned the game when I first started.

Gotcha. Makes sense.

The one caveat I would add then is do it in a friendly, as pre-match build up (press conferences etc) can have an input on the match too.

On 17/01/2020 at 17:28, Brother Ben said:

I can't even imagine starting right now, the learning curve would be huge

I first downloaded FM19 middle of last year. I played a few matches in my first season and man it was daunting. It didn’t help that I started with an MLS club either lol 

For some reason I wanted to play it and give a serious, honest shot. November came by and I’ve been addicted ever since. Had to watch a lot of YouTube videos and read many guides to get a hold on things but it’s been worth it!

When I started the game several years back (14?) I found it incredibly complex and didn't know where to start. Ended up giving it up and putting it away until someone convinced me to try FMT. Cutting down all the options to the important stuff really helped me get my head around the game and I've just started branching back into the full game.

15 minutes ago, Cal585 said:

When I started the game several years back (14?) I found it incredibly complex and didn't know where to start. Ended up giving it up and putting it away until someone convinced me to try FMT. Cutting down all the options to the important stuff really helped me get my head around the game and I've just started branching back into the full game.

FMT?

What were the main things you did yourself?

Football Manager Touch (then classic). Having streamlined reserves, staff, mentoring, meetings and team talks etc. really helped me understand the core of the game. Helped me get an idea of how to build a team and change tactics without having to worry about understanding the impact of the skillset of my 2nd goalkeeping coach or why combining a certain tone with a statement loses the attention of half my team. Now I'm able to focus on understanding the details with a good grasp of the basics.

That said, I believe with developments in recent versions that you can get a similar effect in the full version by delegating everything.

Invest in a decent chair that is both comfortable and supports your posture. You will be in it for some time

A quality Thermos Flask and sandwiches (or alternatively, bottle of scotch and Pizza delivery menu - you will also need a phone with this option)

You ought to book some Annual Leave if you are employed, or call in sick at school. (You may never return)

Research and find some good divorce lawyers - put at least one on retainer.

TAKE YOUR TIME!

Dont rush, take your time - you will face many Trial and Error situations and dozens of Restarts and be utmost aware that all instructions you give to your Team do not do what you believe they do but what the Team (the AI) will make of it.

On 22/01/2020 at 21:02, Snorks said:

Invest in a decent chair that is both comfortable and supports your posture. You will be in it for some time

A quality Thermos Flask and sandwiches (or alternatively, bottle of scotch and Pizza delivery menu - you will also need a phone with this option)

You ought to book some Annual Leave if you are employed, or call in sick at school. (You may never return)

Research and find some good divorce lawyers - put at least one on retainer.

Plenty of deodorant too, washing will seriously impact game time.

A new suit for any cup finals is also a must, you'll need to command authority when you give that motivational team talk on the big day

Also, for the love of god, put the auto-save feature on

34 minutes ago, Jeff44 said:

Go and play FM19 because FM20 is rubbish  not as good as fm19 

Whatttttt? Why?

Did you loose? ;)

Edited by Guest