Sports Interactive Community

I am creating a database with the NHL style in mind.

I was wondering if you can make it possible for teams to only exchange players without a fee like they do in the NHL?

Or if there is a fee involved it is minimal and the players are still exchanged. 

Think this would be a good addition to my Database to acquire young talents in place of the expensive star to go against the wage cap

1 hour ago, JamesJSando said:

I was wondering if you can make it possible for teams to only exchange players without a fee like they do in the NHL?

Or if there is a fee involved it is minimal and the players are still exchanged. 

Think this would be a good addition to my Database to acquire young talents in place of the expensive star to go against the wage cap

So you want transfers done the similar as to how they do in the MLS? 

Not sure about MLS, but in the NHL, when a player is traded (either for draft picks, other players/prospects or if there are money involved) they carry over their contracts. So if a player has signed a 7-year deal, and he's traded 2 years into that deal, then the new team inherits that contract. I believe that can't be easy to implement here. Regarding NHL, a player can't refuse a trade, unless the contract includes some kind of NMC or NTC (either a full NTC or one with a limited number of "acceptable" teams).

4 hours ago, JamesJSando said:

You can effectively ban transfers in a league in certain conditions, but you can't force player exchanges / trades system

5 hours ago, Maaka said:

Not sure about MLS, but in the NHL, when a player is traded (either for draft picks, other players/prospects or if there are money involved) they carry over their contracts. So if a player has signed a 7-year deal, and he's traded 2 years into that deal, then the new team inherits that contract. I believe that can't be easy to implement here. Regarding NHL, a player can't refuse a trade, unless the contract includes some kind of NMC or NTC (either a full NTC or one with a limited number of "acceptable" teams).

You can't create a system of keeping the old contract at a new club no..

2 hours ago, Welshace said:

You can't create a system of keeping the old contract at a new club no..

I thought the contract was carried over in the MLS? I guess I assumed that the MLS, MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL had a similar setup. I know when I traded players in for Inter Miami, the contract wage and length/expiry was the same as the previous club. 

On 17/01/2020 at 13:47, Maaka said:

Not too fussed about moving over existing contracts but more the player/draft picks exchanges. Would have been a good save to cash in on the big star to a struggling team for a couple of decent prospects. 

On 17/01/2020 at 15:24, Lucas said:

You can effectively ban transfers in a league in certain conditions, but you can't force player exchanges / trades system

I've banned loans within the database but shame I can't really mimic the NHL trade system in the editor

But cheers to all of you who replied :)

Couldn't you copy the MLS transfer rules? That is probably the closest you will get to the NHL style I think.

If I was more confident in using the editor, I would try and have that system across Europe. Alas, my skills are lacking.