Fed up with FM09! Can i sell my copy?!

That's what he said he did :confused:

Good, just checking! :D

Most people wouldn't, as most games require CD in drive to play and as such while you technically have to uninstall it, you can't play without the disk (or a 3rd party addon, but then it's clear cut piracy anyway) so it's not really an issue.

I'm pretty happy that the two non-MMO games i'm playing at the moment are both quite legally, as installed off of the disk "no cd in drive", FM09 and Fallout 3.

I didn't quite follow your point, but I was just reiterating the point that you can't keep a game installed on your machine (especially one that doesn't require a CD in the drive like FM09) and sell the game as well. So you can't buy the game, install it on your machine, sell the game, and continue to play the game. Probably everyone already knew this anyway, so perhaps I needn't have posted! :D

Yeah I had no intention of keeping the game installed as it took up a lot of space on my hard drive. If anything i will re-install fm08 if i want to play.

jonny c, can you let me know the specs of your pc? It sounds like there may be a simple (and potentially cost effective) way of getting the game to work. I can hear the frustration in your posts and it sounds like you would love to play the game but need a little help. If you don't want to then fair enough but it's a shame becasue I think this is possibly one of the best incarnations of the game ever!

I have no problem with people lending or reselling the game (once fully uninstalled).

Just as I don't allow the bible or some other religious text dictate what I do with my life, why should I let the EULA dictate to me what I do or don't do as long as I know the difference between right and wrong.

Just because there's some convention out there or law out there does not mean that the law, convention or text is morally justified.

Lets face it, there's a million things far, far worse in our world than people lending, renting or reselling original copies of software.

I can understand jonny. The game is very slow, even if my PC meets the recommended specs. I've had the chance to see the game up close at a friends place with the patch as well (I haven't bought the game yet). He has more or less the exact same specs I have, nothing new or fancy but meets the specs no problem. I had the same problems on the demo as I had on FM08 pre-patch, meaning the menues and such were ultra slow and not very responsive. I could click several times before a menu opened etc. Neither me or my friend have any problems with the 3D though, but the 2D lags as a result of the 3D playing in the background I think. It's the slow menues that really is putting me off getting this game at all. It was a problem on FM08 but was fixed in the 1st patch I think it was, and I've seen others talking about this on here as well since the demo.

I can understand that the specs and stuff go up by each year, and it should! However I fail to really understand what makes the menues so slow, is it like last year a bug sort of problem or is it something else in the game that maxes out my CPU despite that there is no game played by me or in the background? It's just that this was a problem on the demo for me and that was just the English leagues...I'm not sure I wanna sit and wait for all the loading and CPU problems with more leagues running. It took about 15 years with about 20+ leagues (8 countries) on FM08 before the game became as slow as FM09 seems to be this year with only 7 leagues (1 country). And I belive that was a memory thing (90%+ used), since then I have added another 1GB memory and this is not a issue anymore. My feeling is that the game should run very much like FM08, except the match engine might need more power this year.

A lot of companies now are going down the route of stopping people from trading their games in by using this sort of method of DRM. When I was working at Special Reserve we did trade-in of PC games but we had a list of specific games we were told that we were not to accept under any circumstances unless the game was still sealed in it's wrapper, and specifically games that were required to be registered on-line and in particular at the time Star Wars Galaxies, we also iirc had an issue with Half Life 2.

I'm sure at some point in the future a lot of companies will explore the route of trying to stop people from trading in console games, a few companies have expressed a displeasure with people doing this, I think the main one being EA. Well surprise, surprise.

I can't see how this could ever stand up in a court if challenged. It would mean that no matter what you bought you could never re-sell it again think records,cd's, dvd,s even players etc etc. I think most people believe when they buy something it is there's to dispose of as they wish as long as they aren't breaking any copyright laws ie copying/pirating etc. Before someone comes on spouting about only buying a licence to play the game and not the game then I doubt very much that argument would stand up in a court of law as long as someone is genuinely selling the game and all the licences given at the time of purchase.

A lot of companies now are going down the route of stopping people from trading their games in by using this sort of method of DRM. When I was working at Special Reserve we did trade-in of PC games but we had a list of specific games we were told that we were not to accept under any circumstances unless the game was still sealed in it's wrapper, and specifically games that were required to be registered on-line and in particular at the time Star Wars Galaxies, we also iirc had an issue with Half Life 2.

I'm sure at some point in the future a lot of companies will explore the route of trying to stop people from trading in console games, a few companies have expressed a displeasure with people doing this, I think the main one being EA. Well surprise, surprise..

I can't see how this could ever stand up in a court if challenged. It would mean that no matter what you bought you could never re-sell it again think records,cd's, dvd,s even players etc etc. I think most people believe when they buy something it is there's to dispose of as they wish as long as they aren't breaking any copyright laws ie copying/pirating etc. Before someone comes on spouting about only buying a licence to play the game and not the game then I doubt very much that argument would stand up in a court of law as long as someone is genuinely selling the game and all the licences given at the time of purchase

yeah, EULA have never really been challenged in court and there's lots of debate on how well your average modern PC game EULA would hold up at all. This counts double when they're so called 'shrink wrap licenses' I.E ones you cannot access without already having purchased and opened the game (making it unreturnable in most shops). So if you DO object to, say, the use of in-game advertising that the EULA mentions, your only option in their eyes is to cancel the installation and put the DVD back in the case, having wasted £30 because it's also 'not for resale' in SI's eyes. It's one thing to not be able to 'trade in' an MMO game where the subscription system makes the copy useless to anyone other than the initial buyer, or something like HL2 that REQUIRES Steam, but something like FM09 doesn't magically become illegal to resell just because SI tell you 'yo, it's illegal to resell this'. I'd imagine if it was, they'd have been on Gamestation's back years ago and would have an open and shut case.

YO, IT IS ILLEGAL TO QUOTE THIS POST AS IT IS MY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. BY SCROLLING PAST AND READING THE REST OF THIS TOPIC YOU AGREE TO MY TERMS.

I've had it with this game too. Bought it in a rush from Steam through a weblink from FM website, taken for granted that FM always works on Mac, only to realise that Steam is not running on Mac! :mad: Tried to contact Steam Support for refund but I can't even reach them. The f*c*ing email support is not working at all.

I do have a small laptop PC with matching specs (Acer Aspire One) but who would have thought that the box copy mentions the game only work on 1024x768 screen or better. I don't and didn't see this warning on the web when I purchased it. Can I sue SI or SEGA on this?

So here I am, having a Mac and a laptop PC and yet still can't play the game I just bought. I guess I would just sell on eBay later. If any of you interested on buying this, please PM me. I can pass over my Steam account. Price is negotiable. I can't play it anyway, so let you decide how much is it worth.

I WILL NOT BUY YOUR FM SERIES AGAIN!! REMEMBER THAT SIGAMES!! YOUR TEAM-UP WITH STEAM STINKS!!

• 2 weeks later...
U will all be happy to know, i re-bought FM09 after finally solving the issue with my pc! It still runs slow, but i can bear it! Thanks to everyone who has helped in this thread! Time to hit the boards for players!

What was the issue with your PC jonny c?

I have no problem with people lending or reselling the game (once fully uninstalled).

Just as I don't allow the bible or some other religious text dictate what I do with my life, why should I let the EULA dictate to me what I do or don't do as long as I know the difference between right and wrong.

Just because there's some convention out there or law out there does not mean that the law, convention or text is morally justified.

Lets face it, there's a million things far, far worse in our world than people lending, renting or reselling original copies of software.

Damn Conformists;)

After finally installing my copy of FM09 after getting a new graphics card, dvd drive and downloading the 9.1 patch, not to mention installing the huuuuuuuuuuuuge direct X SDK program, Ive given up, and im never buying a SI game again! I got the game to work, but its sooooooooooooo slow on my PC, I cant use any of the 3D functions, so its just FM08 with a few tweaks! Im not forking out more money to buy a new processor and hard drive just for this game so and im looking to sell

I cant return it to playtime in town as they said its non refundable, would i be able to sell it on ebay? I hear you get 5 'seats' when it comes to using your keycode and when you un-install your game you redeem a seat back. Am i correct? I dont wanna flog it on ebay and then the buyer has to return it because the keycode is invalid.

next time check out the game specs and your pc specs before buying any games, if you dont do that then I guess it's your own fault I am affraid.

And who cares about 3d stuff ? you've played many cm/fm's without it, and also you might have forgotten to upgrade your ram and processor, if you couldn't afford it, then it's your own fault you bought a game that you kind of new would run slow.

Archived