Sports Interactive Community

Is it harder to make a valiable tactic in theese series of the game?? I'm on my 6th season with Sheffield and have built a good squad but I haven't reached europa league yet! It has never took me so long to establish my team in the top of the league! Im still struggling in the places  between 8-12. Im getting crazy!

I have very fast central defenders and trying to switch between a 433 and 343 (3-2-2-2-1) but whatever i try it never works out. In some games it does and I completely demolish my opposition, and I can win games against the best teams in the league, but I just never get to the point where I win and win and win.... I can play five games in a row against **** teams where I should win 4 out of 5 easily, and after those five games I haven't even get one single victory and then dropped from being a europa contender to 14th place or so and then the rest of the season is just fighting for places in the area of 8-12.  It happens every ****ing single season. I'm fed up!!!!!!!!

Im getting crazy!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Skrtl

To be honest, your experience sounds more normal to real life, than the people who develop these wacky tactics, give them silly names like "devastator" and "matador" and god knows what else, and then win every competition 300 times with Blyth Spartans.

I'm experiencing the same thing and I'm loving it!

I'm spending all of my work day wondering how I'm going to make my team function properly when I get home.

1 hour ago, Skrtl said:

Is it harder to make a valiable tactic in theese series of the game?? I'm on my 6th season with Sheffield and have built a good squad but I haven't reached europa league yet! It has never took me so long to establish my team in the top of the league! Im still struggling in the places  between 8-12. Im getting crazy!

I have very fast central defenders and trying to switch between a 433 and 343 (3-2-2-2-1) but whatever i try it never works out. In some games it does and I completely demolish my opposition, and I can win games against the best teams in the league, but I just never get to the point where I win and win and win.... I can play five games in a row against **** teams where I should win 4 out of 5 easily, and after those five games I haven't even get one single victory and then dropped from being a europa contender to 14th place or so and then the rest of the season is just fighting for places in the area of 8-12.  It happens every ****ing single season. I'm fed up!!!!!!!!

Im getting crazy!!!!!!!!!

Cool down and mind your language. Thanks.

57 minutes ago, reg22 said:

I'm spending all of my work day wondering how I'm going to make my team function properly when I get home.

Lol #metoo.

And then I have amazing ideas, trying them, winning the first games easily and thinking "finally".

And then everything goes back to normal, loosing against Burnley, Crystal Palace and Bournemouth and then the season is ruined again.

19 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Cool down and mind your language. Thanks.

sorry

1 hour ago, Skrtl said:

Lol #metoo.

And then I have amazing ideas, trying them, winning the first games easily and thinking "finally".

And then everything goes back to normal, loosing against Burnley, Crystal Palace and Bournemouth and then the season is ruined again.

Lol, yes i've had so many of those moments. I won the league one season and finished 6th the next and all of my best players started hating me and left. The league winning tactic is now a dud, and by persisting with it for too long everything has fallen to bits.

I'm now relishing the challenge of a rebuild in regards to tactics, personnel and moral

10 minutes ago, reg22 said:

Lol, yes i've had so many of those moments. I won the league one season and finished 6th the next and all of my best players started hating me and left. The league winning tactic is now a dud, and by persisting with it for too long everything has fallen to bits.

I'm now relishing the challenge of a rebuild in regards to tactics, personnel and moral

I rage quitted today and uninstalled everything.

It seems that there is less to exploit in this ME compared to previous, so super tactics are no so effective.

From what you describe it sounds like you struggle to break down defensive sides (do you perform well against the big sides?). If you ever get past the rage quit and reinstall, there are plenty of people who could offer advice on that and on how to continue the development of your tactic.

14 hours ago, reg22 said:

Same here :D

5 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Rage quit and uninstall is not a valid tactic though. 

I did reinstall today and still tryin to  build a valid tactic :lol:

6 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

It seems that there is less to exploit in this ME compared to previous, so super tactics are no so effective.

From what you describe it sounds like you struggle to break down defensive sides (do you perform well against the big sides?). If you ever get past the rage quit and reinstall, there are plenty of people who could offer advice on that and on how to continue the development of your tactic.

Yup it is very true. When I tried to take "the next step" from a middle team to a europa league team, I'm trying to deploy a more offensive tactic to get more goals and win more games (before, when my team sucked, I was happy to  win only every now and then). But this step has been very hard and when I deployed a more attacking tactic then I instead lose more easy games because teams are exploiting me at the back. My best season I ended at 9th,  and by then I basically had the "perfect" tactic for my Sheffield utd that just wanted to avoid relegation battle, and when tryin to attack more, to push for europe, I instead ended ended up at 10th place. This is very frustrating because I consider my players to be good enough. In earlier FM-games, I have been reaching semi finals in CL with players at the same levels as I have now, and would probably just had to make small changes (one or two 35m-ish signings) to start challanging for the CL-title basically every season.

Currently at 13th place but this season is basically just trying to rebuild tactic. Im trying thousands of different things.

Is it good to have mezzelas with good crossing? Do they often come into crossing positions?

Edited by Skrtl

Breaking down defensive sides is challenging this year, because you cannot rely on the AI doing something stupid as much as you could in previous versions. Which I think is a good thing, by the way. 

For me, the key is creating overloads that force the AI to lose their defensive shapes, and then putting people into those gaps. Being attacking, fast, direct and taking risks is also important. The biggest difference you face is having to create space, rather than exploiting the space you are given. The latter is easier, which is why many people overachieve at the start of saves. The former, less so (as you find out), and takes some work. This actually is such a common problem I see on here these days that I am thinking about writing a guide to attacking defensive sides. It seems like something the community needs.

If you post a tactic, I could give you some ideas of how I would try to break down a defensive side from that shape. There are a huge number of possibilities, but hopefully I could get across the general idea and it could help you invent other ways. 

23 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

This actually is such a common problem I see on here these days that I am thinking about writing a guide to attacking defensive sides. It seems like something the community needs.

Please do, I've been struggling for years developing a decent tactic when playing as a bigger team. There's a ton of advice here on the forums but so much so that good advice is hidden amongst the bad.

If you decide to do this I'd propose going through it with an "explain like i'm 5" attitude. For starters, what is an overload and how do I create such a thing with the tactical editor?

5 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Breaking down defensive sides is challenging this year, because you cannot rely on the AI doing something stupid as much as you could in previous versions. Which I think is a good thing, by the way. 

For me, the key is creating overloads that force the AI to lose their defensive shapes, and then putting people into those gaps. Being attacking, fast, direct and taking risks is also important. The biggest difference you face is having to create space, rather than exploiting the space you are given. The latter is easier, which is why many people overachieve at the start of saves. The former, less so (as you find out), and takes some work. This actually is such a common problem I see on here these days that I am thinking about writing a guide to attacking defensive sides. It seems like something the community needs.

If you post a tactic, I could give you some ideas of how I would try to break down a defensive side from that shape. There are a huge number of possibilities, but hopefully I could get across the general idea and it could help you invent other ways. 

Same here! Lost a streak of 15 unbeaten games against the last in league 

flat 442 :) 

9 hours ago, yipster1986 said:

Please do, I've been struggling for years developing a decent tactic when playing as a bigger team. There's a ton of advice here on the forums but so much so that good advice is hidden amongst the bad.

If you decide to do this I'd propose going through it with an "explain like i'm 5" attitude. For starters, what is an overload and how do I create such a thing with the tactical editor?

I'll call it a weekend project then. I first need to find a team who are going to come against parked buses of various flavours to play as an example, that I do not find boring. It is fairly easy for me to write about things theoretically, but I want to show them in action too. 

4 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

flat 442 :) 

I am not a fan of 442 for breaking sides down, i find it quite limited, particularly as you only have two midfielders to play with. That gives you less flexibility with what you can do with the midfield. One thing I could think of doing is to use attacking wing back and winger on one side. On the same side, have your striker move into channels. You could also have the midfielder on the same side play as a MEZ. This will drag many AI players to one side of the pitch (in principle), and this is your overload. You can use an AF(A) for the other striker, and a WM(A)/IW(A) for the other wide player. These players are attacking the space you are trying to create with the overload. You would probably want to have your other midfielder as a playmaker, probably AP(S) here, to link the two sides of the field and get the two attackers in on goal.

So you see the idea? Trying to force the AI to lose its shape to deal with something you are doing. If it does not adapt, you have a dangerous 3v2 when you attack. Which will lead to chances. If it does, you have space for other players, which will lead to chances. Win win. 

Understood.. and the dilemma with flat 442 is then who secures all this attacking players. I definitely want to play with min. two strikers maybe a 343 could be of more help. 3 in the back plus one HB two WB for width and four players in the middle with plenty of tactical freedom.

One thing I've seen is that having an extremely good crosser is a good way to go. Should have at least 17 in crossing (vision and decision is a bonus) and make sure that this guy comes into crossing positions a lot. It could be a wingback or a winger, doesn't matter, just make sure to cover up for him if he's useless in everything else than crossing. He doesn't need to be pacey or have dribbling skills even hough that of course is preferred (17 in crossing and slow and bad dribbler is preferred over a 15 in crosses with pace and skills - the crosses has the be top quality, that's the most important). Then make sure that on the other flank, u have an wide midfielder that cuts inside and getting forward. So if you have a winger on one side, u have a wide midfielder (that goes inside) on the other side.

Then you have a quality crosses into a overloaded penalty area. I've getting a lot of goals from this and my crosser is a 17 year old guy that is useless in everything else. But he does his job and have like a 7.20 rating every game.

Just something I've seen works quite good.

So I started this thread because I was struggeling making a valid tactic while playing with Sheffield United. I wanted to play an aggressive direct style of play with high defensive line. Now I started a new save and play with Norwich instead and after half a season I'm at 5th place, so I guess the tactics works quite good. (I was starting to work on the tactic in my Sheffield save but just couldn't get it to work. with that team)

In the Sheffield save I valued team work, stamina, work rate and aggression very high, trying to reatin possession a lot and attack directly. In this Norwich file there is more focus on technique, passning and vision, and it has worked out quite well so far.

The only player I bought is Lewis ferguson for1.7m euro from Aberdeen, playing as a BTB-midfielder.

1171067557_ScreenShot2020-01-19at01_54_03.thumb.png.bd6fb2d424bbb9595da48605e63ba483.png648153003_ScreenShot2020-01-19at01_54_12.thumb.png.e95a9148870a9200bb1157761726caad.png

Edit; I start every game with balanced mentality but I''m switching all the time depending on opposition, away or home etc... Buendia and Lewis have "stay wider" to stretch he team a little and Amadou have "take fewer risks". Stiepermanns instruction is to shot more often due to having 16 in long shots, but I haven't seen that having any effect so far.

Edited by Skrtl

The season after I was in a relegation battle the whole season. Wtf is it with this game? The hardest FM game I ever played!

1 hour ago, Skrtl said:

The season after I was in a relegation battle the whole season. Wtf is it with this game? The hardest FM game I ever played!

A sh*tty team's results  regressing to the mean (see under "the league table Always lies" header.

https://footballbh.net/2019/05/28/brentford-championship-tactical-analysis-statistics-analysis/

Granted, the game isn't near as random. But this were the most boring sim of football management ever if you could consistently roll the leagues with yet to develop teams just like that. Fifa Manager would be top of the line in comparison. Additionally, it were a very poor simulation of tactics too, as that's not what tactics are capable of.

Edited by Svenc

On 16/01/2020 at 01:25, crusadertsar said:

Rage quit and uninstall is not a valid tactic though. 

Yeah, it is. We have 'Devestator', 'Matador', 'Elimnator', and 'Dummyspitor' :lol: